• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

They have been slowly adding figures from their older properties, like Mulan, Stitch, Fantasia, etc. But they are always single figures. It is a bigger risk to release more figures from the same old franchise and even risker to realease playsets. That is way we may never see an Aladdin playset sadly.

Malyse

They have been slowly adding figures from their older properties, like Mulan, Stitch, Fantasia, etc. But they are always single figures. It is a bigger risk to release more figures from the same old franchise and even risker to realease playsets. That is way we may never see an Aladdin playset sadly.

toyladdin_by_artsammich-d97ye47.jpg

WE COULD HAVE HAD IT AAAAAAAAALLL!

Lomax

My guess is they are finding that the actual "play rate" on the digital stuff is a lot lower than they expected, and they are looking at Nintendo who is making a fortune on Amiibos with minimal digital content, and are focusing more on making money just selling the figures. Which is a shame, because I'm having as much fun playing this as anything I've messed with in a long time. But then I got basically five games (not even counting the toy box) for around $20, I don't know that I'd feel the same way if I had spent ten times that much and had some figures on a shelf as well.

El_Cinefilo

Gave Battlegrounds to my son this morning, So far I'm probably having more fun with this than any of the other playsets I've played (which is most of them 2.0 onwards). It's very Power Stone.

It seems pretty generous too, letting you play as characters you don't have with the weekly trial ones and even the one's that aren't on trial that you can spend in game tokens to play as. (so far it seems pretty generous at dishing out the tokens just for playing).

even the costumes that were on power discs seem to all be available to unlock for use in the battlegrounds mode by doing challenges.

This doesn't really effect me since I don't know anyone else who collects these but when you put a figure on the base it says it unlocks the character permanently. Does it mean for the session or properly permanently forever like it sounds? because that seems surprising and open to abuse by people lending each other characters.

Rhaegar

This doesn't really effect me since I don't know anyone else who collects these but when you put a figure on the base it says it unlocks the character permanently. Does it mean for the session or properly permanently forever like it sounds? because that seems surprising and open to abuse by people lending each other characters.

Just for the session, as you suspected. You can exit out of the game to your system's main menu, but as soon as the game or system shut down, the figures stored in memory are gone until you put them back on the base.

curb

Banned
This weekend I played a bit of Toy Box Takeover for the first time in quite a while. I forgot how much I like it. Hopefully there's more Toy Box games in the works (that are more TBT and less TBSW).

Takeover is a lot of fun, I just wish it were longer.

It would be nice if something like Takeover is built into future Disney Infinity games. Maybe even with a bit of platforming thrown in so it's not just top-down brawling the whole time?

There's a solid base there they could build a really compelling any-figure experience out of.

Hex

Banned
My eight years old only knows Aladdin from the theme parks. Robin Hood from the non Disney animations (so no Fox), Lion King a little (I am sure the new animation will help when aired here). Dumbo, Pinocchio, Rescue Rangers? Ah. And that is the movies side. I wnted some 90s cartoons too.

Then you are shitting the bed as a parent.
Step that shit up.

MAtgS

I like to think a Kingdom Hearts playset could amend for lack of playsets for certain properties. A KH playset for example could have an Agrabah, Land of Dragons, Halloween Town, & Arendelle as worlds with Aladdin/Jasmine/Mulan/Jack Skellington/Elsa/Anna crossover coins.

Hex

Banned
I like to think a Kingdom Hearts playset could amend for lack of playsets for certain properties. A KH playset for example could have an Agrabah, Land of Dragons, Halloween Town, & Arendelle as worlds with Aladdin/Jasmine/Mulan/Jack Skellington/Elsa/Anna crossover coins.

They could have all of those without having to give Square a penny on their own and happily say fuck Kingdom Hearts...
I am not saying that you will not see some kind of tie to KH in the future, most likely a figure of some sort

curb

Banned
Takeover is a lot of fun, I just wish it were longer.

It would be nice if something like Takeover is built into future Disney Infinity games. Maybe even with a bit of platforming thrown in so it's not just top-down brawling the whole time?

There's a solid base there they could build a really compelling any-figure experience out of.

There is. As much as I like the Toy Box Hub I think an actual built-in game mode like TBT would be a nice inclusion.

I think Disney would get more traction with something like a "Magic Kingdom" type theme since Kingdom Hearts is such a niche product by comparison for the target audience.

They could have all of those without having to give Square a penny on their own and happily say fuck Kingdom Hearts...
I am not saying that you will not see some kind of tie to KH in the future, most likely a figure of some sort

Disney owns Kingdom Hearts though. Square-Enix is the one paying them to use the licence whenever they make those games.

I don't think we'll see a KH playset, but it's totally possible they'll do a Sora figure or something like that to tie into the KH3 release marketing-wise. Maybe costume discs for Donald and (the inevitably released) Goofy? Who knows.

Hex

Banned
Disney owns Kingdom Hearts though. Square-Enix is the one paying them to use the licence whenever they make those games.

I don't think we'll see a KH playset, but it's totally possible they'll do a Sora figure or something like that to tie into the KH3 release marketing-wise. Maybe costume discs for Donald and (the inevitably released) Goofy? Who knows.

I did not know that.
We have many things with potential though.
We have the Alice stuff, though I would definitely have preferred the animated versions, and Beauty and the Beast on the horizon (I will again hope for animated versions....)
We have Ducktales returning to tv , Pete's Dragon, Finding Dori, and Moana....

curb

Banned
After watching Civil War this weekend my desire for Disney and Marvel to announce new figures is at an all-time high.

TEJ

Decided to jump into disney infinity. Got these figures plus the portal and 3.0 for 60 total.

http://i.imgur.com/rn2jOR6.jpg

I want to get aladdin, jasmine, gamora, drax, spider-man, black panther, the hulk, black widow, anna, elsa, han solo, leia, luke, finn and rey eventually.

Bumhead

Banned
Thinking of picking this up for me and my other half. We also have children in the house, who although don't generally game, I think they perhaps might with this.

She's absolutely mad on Marvel, and we also both really like Star Wars. I did consider the LEGO Marvel games, but to be honest I'm more than a little burnt out on the LEGO formula, and I think she would enjoy the actual physical figures.

I know absolutely nothing about the game though. The whole Infinity thing has totally passed me by. It looks like a fun game and I usually admire the figures when I'm in a game shop, but I've no idea what the actual game is. There are campaigns, right? Is it local multiplayer, and if so, co-operative or competitive? Are the figures meaningful in their usage (compared to say, Amiibo) and are the starter packs good value in terms of content? I think I'd likely need the starter pack, The Force Awakens pack, Marvel Battlegrounds and an Iron Man (her favourite) figure to get started.. but I'm not really sure what any of that means in terms of value.

Basically, I think I need a total dummies guide overview! Reviews of the game largely assume you have some grasp of what's going on.

curb

Banned
Thinking of picking this up for me and my other half. We also have children in the house, who although don't generally game, I think they perhaps might with this.

She's absolutely mad on Marvel, and we also both really like Star Wars. I did consider the LEGO Marvel games, but to be honest I'm more than a little burnt out on the LEGO formula, and I think she would enjoy the actual physical figures.

I know absolutely nothing about the game though. The whole Infinity thing has totally passed me by. It looks like a fun game and I usually admire the figures when I'm in a game shop, but I've no idea what the actual game is. There are campaigns, right? Is it local multiplayer, and if so, co-operative or competitive? Are the figures meaningful in their usage (compared to say, Amiibo) and are the starter packs good value in terms of content? I think I'd likely need the starter pack, The Force Awakens pack, Marvel Battlegrounds and an Iron Man (her favourite) figure to get started.. but I'm not really sure what any of that means in terms of value.

Basically, I think I need a total dummies guide overview! Reviews of the game largely assume you have some grasp of what's going on.

There's lots of good info in the OP which I'd suggest checking out.

Basic rundown though:

Campaigns are called playsets. They're themed (Star Wars, Marvel) and only figures from those properties work in those playsets and there are sometimes further restrictions. There's also a Toy Box mode in which you can play user generated content with any character and there are additional Toy Box games you can buy separately.

Local multiplayer, yes. Playsets are cooperative but the Toy Box mode can have competitive activities.

Figures are required to use those characters in-game. Starter pack is a good place to errr, start. The Star Wars starter along with TFA and Battlegrounds would be plenty for the two of you to start with.

Wow. What a bummer.

I guess the good news is that 3.0 is a decent way to go out, given how much of an improvement it was over 2.0. But man, just thinking of all the great characters we didn't get figures of, it's disappointing.

EDIT: Ugh, I guess this means no Peter Pan?

So I just ordered Black Suit Spidey and Nick Wilde for store pickup at Best Buy. And I ordered the Zootopia Power Disc Pack from a seller on Amazon. I think that's pretty much all I need to complete my collection, other than a handful of crystal figures I don't care about, and some Power Discs from 1.0 and 2.0 that I may cherry pick from Ebay.

Blackburn said in a statement that the Alice figures and Dory playset are still coming out but that's it. They're closing up shop after that.

So that's a no on Peter Pan, then? Bummer.

curb

Banned
So that's a no on Peter Pan, then? Bummer.

Sure sounds like it. Just Alice and Dory which I personally don't care about. I guess I'm done.

I'll still play 3.0 as long as it still works as I love those Star Wars playsets. Hopefully it'll work without servers or in a perfect world, get patched.

No, in a perfect world they'd patch it and open up all the playsets and characters.

curb

Banned
Limiting all the universes to their own spaces and not having a epic story a la Skylanders bit them in the ass.

But they had Disney, Marvel and Star Wars and it should have printed money. Having restrictions about universes and limiting story potential was likely one of a whole truckload of factors in this dying.

Lomax

Sure sounds like it. Just Alice and Dory which I personally don't care about. I guess I'm done.

I'll still play 3.0 as long as it still works as I love those Star Wars playsets. Hopefully it'll work without servers or in a perfect world, get patched.

No, in a perfect world they'd patch it and open up all the playsets and characters.

What's more likely is that we have maybe a year or two at most before they pull the servers and it all stops working. Though of course it would be nice if they patched it to be offline, hell they could sell the Star Wars stuff as stand alone games and I bet they'd do pretty well.

But they had Disney, Marvel and Star Wars and it should have printed money. Having restrictions about universes and limiting story potential was likely one of a whole truckload of factors in this dying.

But it sounds as though they're pretty much getting out of console development anyways, licensing their IPs to others. I imagine if that weren't the case, Infinity would live on. Sad about the job losses as well....

RedStep

But it sounds as though they're pretty much getting out of console development anyways, licensing their IPs to others. I imagine if that weren't the case, Infinity would live on. Sad about the job losses as well....

Yup - said it before and will say it again, they needed to release the chains and let people just play. Not "These characters work here, and these here, and these nowhere useful again since we didn't bring the playsets forward."

Might not have saved it, but I'd have bought more figures off-clearance if I could do more with them.

curb

Banned
It's been a few hours now and I'm still pretty disappointed by this. My DI drawer will forever have a Captain Marvel shaped hole.

gpn

You'd think if Nintendo can make money off the amiibo figures, Disney could off the infinity figures. Leave it to licensees to make the software utilizing the figures.

Yup - said it before and will say it again, they needed to release the chains and let people just play. Not "These characters work here, and these here, and these nowhere useful again since we didn't bring the playsets forward."

Might not have saved it, but I'd have bought more figures off-clearance if I could do more with them.

Agreed, though I'm not exactly sure how big a role it played in all this. The restrictions were a nuisance, but in the big picture the toys to life idea seems to have peaked, and now going on the downward slope. My biggest issue with Disney Infinity, in particular, more than the character restrictions were some of the playset choices( or lack thereof). Why didn't Aladdin get a full playset? LION KING? FROZEN? What about the classic stuff? So many classic characters that never saw the light of day.

Well it had a good run and lives on as a fun sandbox thing with a great mix of characters. Sad anyway.

Hopefully the good to come out of this bad news will be Disney/Star Wars/Marvel properties in Lego Dimensions.

Top Bottom