• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) announced (early 2018)

That reminds me, was Cosmos ever playable? She and Chaos were the orignal Gods in Dissidia (also had a squicky kind of romance between the two when you think about it) and I know Chaos became playable but I don't think Cosmos ever became a playable fighter.

LOL

Neither of them were playable. The chaos that was playable was this broken thing no one wanted to use:

Ravage

As much as i like the gameplay and fan service, i can't help but worry about the health of the SEAsia community (just like all other fighting games).

sphinx

the piano man
do we know if the story mode is strictly round-based battles?

I mean, there's no world to traverse around, enemies on a field, villages or stuff like that right?

I played dissidia PSP so long ago I can't remember how the progress was, I remember moving from one piece to the next and at the end fighting a boss, which was one of the main baddies.

FinalAres

As much as I liked the first two, I think this game won't end up being that good. Horrible UI, only 3 on 3 battles and a story mode they're having to bash out in 6 months.

Would love to be proved wrong. It does make me want PSP games playable on PS4 all the more though!

duckroll

As much as I liked the first two, I think this game won't end up being that good. Horrible UI, only 3 on 3 battles and a story mode they're having to bash out in 6 months.

Would love to be proved wrong. It does make me want PSP games playable on PS4 all the more though!

Why Dissidia NT won't be as good as Dissidia 012:

- 3v3 design at the base makes it much more competitive focused and less fun focused for individual players

- Having to support 6 players causes the majority of maps to be big wide flat areas. Gone is the classic design of stages in Dissidia with lots of random obstacles and verticality.

- Doesn't look like they're going to bother with the Labyrinth Mode from Dissidia 012 which was like a 100 hour timesink for me. That was sooooooooooo fun.

- 3v3 design at the base makes it much more competitive focused and less fun focused for individual players

- Having to support 6 players causes the majority of maps to be big wide flat areas. Gone is the classic design of stages in Dissidia with lots of random obstacles and verticality.

- Doesn't look like they're going to bother with the Labyrinth Mode from Dissidia 012 which was like a 100 hour timesink for me. That was sooooooooooo fun.

Don't forget the mods. The crazy, ridiculous mods.

Feep

Banned
I've always wanted to play a Dissidia game!

So happy ^^

Edit: OMFG at that UI though. SE, get your shit together.

RocBase

Are you kidding? To hell with that Clock Tower stage, I'm glad its gone lol

FinalAres

Yeah, it just feels so bare bones compared to the first two games as well.

Looking back on it, props to Tetsuya Nomura. He really did make a great game with Dissidia.

DKHF

Not that it will make the story good/much better but they will have worked on it for a lot longer than 6 months considering in early February of this year they said they had already been working on it.

FinalAres

Not that it will make the story good/much better but they will have worked on it for a lot longer than 6 months considering in early February of this year they said they had already been working on it.
Didn't they say that they were sorry that they hadn't got started on it yet but they were going to get cracking on it soon?

Lets be generous and say 8-10 mobths. That's still not long. Especially as we know team ninja has been stretched, and thats why their arcade updates have been so slow.

DKHF

Didn't they say that they were sorry that they hadn't got started on it yet but they were going to get cracking on it soon?

Lets be generous and say 8-10 mobths. That's still not long. Especially as we know team ninja has been stretched, and thats why their arcade updates have been so slow.
I don't think they said that, if they did it was probably last year (though I might have missed something) so a while ago. They said they were already working on it as of early February this year so they will have at the very least a year.

What a weird subtitle

In a long line of absolutely ridiculous square enix titles/subtitles, this might be one of the most normal ones ever. Lol

Is there any word on them including the characters have already been added to the Arcade version on launch?
The character screen in the OP only seems to have the Arcade launch characters...

ffvorax

Loved Dissidia and Dissidia 012!

Can't wait for this, hope it will be full of content and fanservice as the previous portable titles! :D

Fbh

That's awesome.
I'm not that much into fighting games but will probably be getting this one.

Horrible UI though. Hopefully it can be turned off (or it comes to PC at some point and someone can mod a better one)

Honestly it just seems to be a reused trailer lol. Some tossed in english names and what not but very sure weve seen all that footage before.

Loona

Is there one? Is there? Really?

This is what FFXI looks like during battle by default:

c.jpg

Outside battle it has even fewer elements. If you need to see more info, you open menus for that separately.

Domina Shantotto is the dark half of a parallel world's Shantotto, so not really her.

Still retains the general Shantotto-ness, and Shantotto prime herself is tempted for a while to follow the same route.

Thing is, XI's Vana'diel is pretty the Latveria to Shantotto's Dr Doom - there's only so much she'll inflict on her own backyard. Speaking of which...

I don't actually recall a single time she's ever actually hurt anyone that wasn't evil. She loves messing with people and being a dick in general though lol.

She put a mortal curse on guy who just wanted an interview with her because she assumed he was a peeping tom, and she's all too willing to pin the blame on someone else - this is pretty much the in the immediate vicinity of her house, and as one of the earlier quests in the game ("Curses, Foiled Again!") and associated with her - pretty much a character establishing moment.

Like in the XIV event, when she's clearly in position to cause harm and says she plans to conquer she suddenly "loses interest". Her goal from the start was totally just to bully some people in another world for a bit because she was board.

It was a seasonal cross-promotional event, not intended to have major consequences - I can't help but wonder how things might play out if her stay wasn't meant to be temporary... Can't help but think of the concept of Dr Doom outside Latveria...

Hopefully the old Dissidia writer (who moved to XV) stays far, far, away.

I liked how the original Dissidia's story referenced story beats and tone from each character's game, despite a different environment and cast - I hope they retain that in the very least.

So wait, is this still team-battle only?

Surely they'll add classic 1v1 right?

Some videos showing off character moves usually only show 2 characters... not sure if that's a special mode, or if they're just not filming everyone else...

Still not a fan of 3v3.

Apart from all the usual complaints, it also lead to the loss of Ex-bursts. I find it very wrong that game about celebrating all these characters clashing together, does not have their signature ultimate attacks, cuz "you can't force other 5 players to watch your cutscene attack"

Twookie

the UI is still godawful, not sure I like the 3v3 either. Looks very busy and cluttered and it takes away from what I liked about the previous games.

Even then, I'm still very hyped as I loved the PSP games, although I am a bit concerned about how the final product will end up like.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
She put a mortal curse on guy who just wanted an interview with her because she assumed he was a peeping tom, and she's all too willing to pin the blame on someone else - this is pretty much the in the immediate vicinity of her house, and as one of the earlier quests in the game ("Curses, Foiled Again!") and associated with her - pretty much a character establishing moment.

Haha. I remember that. It's always left ambiguous as to whether she would really have let any of the people she curses die though. She's certainly a bully but I always get the impression that she's not a murderer.

Still not a fan of 3v3.

Apart from all the usual complaints, it also lead to the loss of Ex-bursts. I find it very wrong that game about celebrating all these characters clashing together, does not have their signature ultimate attacks, cuz "you can't force other 5 players to watch your cutscene attack"

Well, if 3v3 wasn't working, I don't think the arcade version would have seen the day. I think they knew about a possible console release from the get go and took advantage of that to refine and polish the game in arcade based on players feedback. I think 3v3 is refreshing and could bring a lot of new team strategies that wasn't possible in the previous games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We've not seen the ffviii stage yet, have we? Can't wait to see that one, everything VIII makes me all kinds of nostalgic.

FFIV, FFVIII and FFXI haven't got their stages yet but we should have a stage announcement next month as well so I predict that it might be FFVIII stage this time.

pislit

just looked at the gameplay seems like wildly different from the psp games. are there any rumors of the remaster of 012?

Well, if 3v3 wasn't working, I don't think the arcade version would have seen the day. I think they knew about a possible console release from the get go and took advantage of that to refine and polish the game in arcade based on players feedback. I think 3v3 is refreshing and could bring a lot of new team strategies that wasn't possible in the previous games.

I don't find the sacrifice of all the things I like (speed, cinematic super attacks, focused 1v1 combat, bigger movesets) for the sake of a game structure I heavily dislike. I am one of those who, even during few moments I actually bothered to play Smash Brothers, played it 1v1 no items, final destination.

One's mileage will, without a doubt, vary. But to me, it's a loss/loss situation. A game I enjoyed migrated to a subgenre I hate and removed a bunch of features I liked to accomodate for the shift to something I fundamentally dislike.

Top Bottom