• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLNA update for PS4 coming tonight!

Ogawa-san

DLNA music over network and with ingame audio support. I'm pleased.

Hi10p is a no go obviously, but MKV (with h.264) is flaky and h.265 didn't work at all. It's surprising considering these two work on my smart TV, so it's not like the PS4 doesn't have the hardware to handle them.

Tainted

wtf cannot even play mp3's or videos via USB (fat32)

This is a no go for me then...no idea what the issue is

DirtyLarry

Playback was hit or miss using Universal Media Server which is my goto app on the PS3. In fact anything with DTS it said audio format not supported.
Hoping it just means UMS needs an update. I did try changing the audio output under settings but that did nothing.
If anyone knows of a fix please share and if not I'll wait for the next version of UMS and donate to the developer again.
Nevertheless perhaps my favorite news of the day.

Tainted

I managed to get an MP3 working off USB...but that's about it. I tried a bunch of different videos with various codecs but same generic errror.

Useless to me as well now. Oh well, I'll wait to see if they update the app

Just read the guide at options. You have to make a folder first.

Yup, thats how I got the MP3 to work, doesnt work for the videos though

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Other disappointments besides everything having to be in a folder:
No analog fastfoward / rewind feature like on PS3
No fastfoward x10, 30, etc. like on PS3.

It looks like until they improve this some more, I'm sticking to watching videos on my PS3 still.

I managed to get an MP3 working off USB...but that's about it. I tried a bunch of different videos with various codecs but same generic errror.

Useless to me as well now. Oh well, I'll wait to see if they update the app

Yup, thats how I got the MP3 to work, doesnt work for the videos though

The guide said it supports FAT and exFAT. Not sure if FAT32 will work.

Tainted

The guide said it supports FAT and exFAT. Not sure if FAT32 will work.

It would be referring to FAT32...there's no way in hell it would be only supporting FAT16. The PS4 reads the files, the file system isn't the issue...it just some messed up codec issue which I cant work out what

Does it play DTS audio in MKV video files? Not working for me.

Only supports Dolby according to the guide...no DTS

Briarios

Has anyone gotten any MKV files to play? I've tried all the media servers and a usb drive. So, it still needs some work, but -- hey, it's a start!

I can use my DLNA folder structures, mp4s etc. just fine as I made sure they are compatible with the PS3 media client.

But man after all this wait and hype for next level DLNA I was not expecting it to be worse than the PS3 stuff.

The media player controls are very barebones, similar to their Blu-ray player. No volume control is the worst.

No xvid/divx support

presentation is lackluster, at least the PS3 was with your custom background and worst of all the icons are not displayed correctly. I get zoomed it/cropped thumbnails of movie posters etc. that show up nicely (as portrait format) on the PS3...

edit: at least you can multitask (switch between gaming and watching, although the apps always has to ask to suspend the game so you can't switch via double press)

I guess it will do for not having to turn on the PS3 for most media files anymore, but...
If the Plex client is for sale and not subscribers only soon, I will probably go with that.

geomon

Oh my gawd!

AgitatedDishonestEkaltadeta.gif

Spasm

What is it with both consoles bring allergic to DTS? I thought Sony might have had more pull to get a good deal on the codec, but I guess not. Shit, if they put DTS support in the store for a reasonable price, I'd go for that.

I downloaded Universal Media Server on my laptop, installed it, but it seems it can't find my PS4 (or the other way around?). Any idea why that might be?

It can find my desktop computer media server, but it seems it doesn't allow access.

Cyros

Got it to pull up my music but some songs won't play, and when I view albums separately it alphabetizes the tracks >_<.

AU Tiger

Damn beween this, horizon, UC4/UC collection and TLG, looks like 2016 is finally the year I cave and buy a PS4.

Maybe they'll have the updated 4k version by then.

Is it 1998 again?

I'm not going to re-encode all the files I still have in this format from years back. I know they are saving themselves paying for a license but it's still disappointing as everything was working fine on PS3 minus mkvs (which could be muxxed anyway) and mp4s with AC3 sound.

Not to mention that the XB1 does it (along with a range of other file formats not supported by the PS4)

Better late than never I guess.

Actually, I've entirely moved on to using built in streaming from my TV, so I guess it probably is too late.

I downloaded Universal Media Server on my laptop, installed it, but it seems it can't find my PS4 (or the other way around?). Any idea why that might be?

It can find my desktop computer media server, but it seems it doesn't allow access.

Check your Firewall and your Anti Virus Software. They can block it. You may even have to forward the ports in your router that your media server is using. Google Port Forwarding if you need help with that.

jimwhat

UMS probably still has to add an update for PS4 files (That's what happened when X1 first got DLNA)

The normal media server through windows should be working though

Why just not plug the PC HDMI to your TV?And this is the feature wanted so much by the community.Dont get it.

Because there are people who don't have their PCs right next to their TVs, or aren't able to run a long HDMI cable from where the PC is to the TV.

Any time someone says: "Why do you need X feature? Why not just do Y?" there will always be a reason people can't do Y, and makes X feature useful and wanted.

UMS probably still has to add an update for PS4 files (That's what happened when X1 first got DLNA)

The normal media server through windows should be working though
The PS4 media app can see the playlist folders that I set up through WMP, but it says it doesn't see any playable files inside those playlists :/

mf.luder

I was hoping this works through Playstation TV. I have my PS4 in my office in another room but would like to stream it to my TV in my living room.

But sounds like nothing but errors and bad news so far. Let's hope for a speedy update.

Tested it streaming from a Raspberry Pi with MiniDLNA and all of the videos I have tried worked perfectly. I have been using a WDTV Live until now and this feels like a dream compared to that in terms of how fast it loads videos and navigates folders. It's pretty bare bones as far as features but it is quick and responsive.

hesido

0 use to me without subtitles. I don't think they will ever provide it though (separate file or MKV embedded), they never did on PS3, just DivX embedded subs)

Top Bottom