• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLNA update for PS4 coming tonight!

Fisty

Needs video options like stretching, i love watching old TV rips but i hate 4:3 with a passion. PS3 did this no problem, so i assume its only a matter of time.

Anyone tested level 5.0 or 5.1 h264 mp4s or mkvs?

Vashetti

Banned
Needs video options like stretching, i love watching old TV rips but i hate 4:3 with a passion. PS3 did this no problem, so i assume its only a matter of time.

Anyone tested level 5.0 or 5.1 h264 mp4s or mkvs?

Let's destroy image quality!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, MKVs aren't showing for me. Like they don't appear in the folder at all. I thought MKVs were supported?

Vashetti

Banned
... lets offer a choice to people who prefer one or the other?

If you truly loved those old TV rips as you said, then you would not want to destroy their presentation by arbitrarily stretching the image. Accept the way they where filmed.

Khrno

Tried several files through Plex, the default Windows sharing media server and Universal Media Server (which I use for the PS3), and besides that it only showed about a fifth of my files or less , they didn't play.

I guess I'll keep using my PS3 even tho the fan is already so loud.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
mkv is just a container. If the actual video/audio codecs aren't supported the files will not show up.

Guess I'll have to keep using my Now TV box with Plex then :/

EDIT: Just tried Universal Media Player which works with PS4, BTW but I get no audio because it's unsupported, so that's a shame. The codec it's missing is DTS 5.1.

Any Mac users here?

Media Link doesn't work.

Universal Media Server is a Java nightmare that doesn't work.

I"m currently trying Plex and it is scanning my external drive. I'll update how it works. In the meanwhile, any other programs to test?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Any Mac users here?

Media Link doesn't work.

I"m currently trying Plex and it is scanning my external drive. I'll update how it works. In the meanwhile, any other programs to test?

Plex is amazing, but you have to pay monthly to use the PS4 app unless you want to view it via the PS4s web browser which just feels a bit clunky.

EDIT: IGNORE ME, APPARENTLY YOU CAN USE PLEX WITHOUT THE APP VIA THE NEW MEDIA BROWSER, SORRY!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any Mac users here?

Media Link doesn't work.

Plex should be good. And if you like it, you can then choose to buy the plex client app once it it released (current release is for plex pass users only which makes it expensive)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plex is amazing, but you have to pay monthly to use the PS4 app unless you want to view it via the PS4s web browser which just feels a bit clunky.

Only the PS4/Xb1 clients require plex pass. The server is free and includes a DLNA server so you can use that with the built in DLNA. It should also transcode DTS audio so any MKVs with DTS Audio play ok.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

With this app dropping, I cancelled my subscription. It's way faster than the plex app

Plex should be good. And if you like it, you can then choose to buy the plex client app once it it released (current release is for plex pass users only which makes it expensive)

I don't want to use the app, I want to use the Media Player via DLNA. I can't do that on the PS4? I can only use the web browser or app?

Edit: Well, it's working in the Media Player app. It isn't that great of quality, though. Almost as if it was a 480p instead of a 720p video. Maybe I can fiddle with the settings to increase the video quality.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Only the PS4/Xb1 clients require plex pass. The server is free and includes a DLNA server so you can use that with the built in DLNA. It should also transcode DTS audio so any MKVs with DTS Audio play ok.

Can you ELI5 how to get the audio to automatically transcode? I have my Plex server up and running and the MKVs are working but without audio.

I don't want to use the app, I want to use the Media Player via DLNA. I can't do that on the PS4? I can only use the web browser or app?

You can, I was wrong, sorry.

gl0w

Not sure if it was already said, but I tried use the PS3 media server to connect my PC to ps4 and it actually works, I can see the ps3 media server on my ps4 and search trough the folders, but sadly I'm getting an error when I select something to play :( hope there is a new ps4 media server to be released

Van Owen

Banned
Not sure if it was already said, but I tried use the PS3 media server to connect my PC to ps4 and it actually works, I can see the ps3 media server on my ps4 and search trough the folders, but sadly I'm getting an error when I select something to play :( hope there is a new ps4 media server to be released

Just use Plex Media Server.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Could anyone tell me how to make it so I can transcode DTS audio files to play on PS4 via Plex? I've looked at the options but I can't find anything that makes it work.

thelastword

Banned
They need to get DTS audio support in for DLNA, pretty much all my MKV's only have DTS Audio and I keep getting "cannot play audio, the audio format is not supported".

I really don't understand Plex. Some of my folders load on the PS4. Some don't. I was able to play one video, but it was a blurry mess. I changed the transcoding quality and now it won't load at all. I can't figure out how to turn off music and photos and leave only videos, and I don't want all of these video folders... I just want my main library folder sorted by folders (I have things already categorized by folders).

All of my stuff is ripped by me, h.264, mp4, aac. And, it is still making things look blurry (when they play). Some folders don't even load. I guess many it is just new.

Also, really, I just want MY FOLDERS to appear with Plex. I have things organized because I did it myself and not through wanton downloading. I wish I could just have my stuff appear without the Plex clutter.

Maybe I just have too much stuff that is currently being catalogued. I'll report back in a day or so.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't understand Plex. Some of my folders load on the PS4. Some don't. I was able to play one video, but it was a blurry mess. I changed the transcoding quality and now it won't load at all. I can't figure out how to turn off music and photos and leave only videos, and I don't want all of these video folders... I just want my main library folder sorted by folders (I have things already categorized by folders).

Yeah I can't see how to remove all the folders on Plex via the PS4s media server, there's so much clutter.

Kwixotik

Seems to work alright for most purposes, but I can't find subtitle support. Guess I'll have to stick with Plex for foreign movies and anime.

moojito

Very fast and smooth. Loving it! Hoping for subtitle support as I seem to have gotten used to having them on for some reason.

Goddammnit, last night everything was cool and my file was showing as one of the media player servers, today though? Nothing. It ain't there anymore, it just disapeared during the night. All I did was restart my PC.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't figure out how to make the audio transcode when using Plex via the new PS4 media server, it just won't work.

chifanpoe

I tested with Universal Media Server 5.1.4v running on my media server PC. I had no issues. Tried about 10 different videos all from different rips and they all worked. No issues with MKV. I will have to test more with DTS and see what it does or comes through as.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I tested with Universal Media Server 5.1.4v running on my media server PC. I had no issues. Tried about 10 different videos all from different rips and they all worked. No issues with MKV. I will have to test more with DTS and see what it does or comes through as.

Just tried UMS and DTS files play with no audio, and when I transcode to something else it just says it can't be played.

Shaneus

Oh shit, I just realised this is actually worth something to me because I have all my media on my HTPC. I wonder if there's a way I could get my HTPC's TV tuner (ironically, a PlayTV) to work with DLNA so I can watch TV on my PS4?

Playback was hit or miss using Universal Media Server which is my goto app on the PS3. In fact anything with DTS it said audio format not supported.
Hoping it just means UMS needs an update. I did try changing the audio output under settings but that did nothing.
If anyone knows of a fix please share and if not I'll wait for the next version of UMS and donate to the developer again.
Nevertheless perhaps my favorite news of the day.

Yep. I cant even configure the PS4 for UMS. Always detects it as unrecognized renderer.

Ive tried to use the XboxOne profile (both console have the same file format limits) but i always get a error on PS4 from a mkv with dts. Same file works fine on XboxOne

mandiller

Tried to plug in my USB harddrive...

62wAEFp.jpg

Will UMS use the ps4 as a render now? Or can the ps4 simply just be a DLNA client I'm not sure I understand how important this update is.

I assumed this meant I could use it as a media server just not use it play files off my PS3 media server.

Shaneus

I had a look through the thread but couldn't verify... does this work with background audio? So could I play background music like with Spotify, but via DLNA instead (and have the PS-menu controls like volume and pause and stuff)?

Top Bottom