• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNA analysis confirms skeleton unearthed from UK parking lot is king Richard III

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/genetics/scientists-confirm-remains-king-richard-iii-17487010

Two years ago, a battle-worn, scoliosis-riddled skeleton was unearthed beneath a parking lot in Leicester, England. Based on the evidence at hand, the archeologists behind the discovery claimed that they had found the bones of Richard III—the 15th century monarch with the cartoonishly villainous reputation. (Richard, immortalized in one Shakespeare's greatest plays, reportedly stole the throne by marrying his dead brother's wife, killed his nephews, and ruled for two years before dying in battle.)

Today, a team of biologists, historians, and archeologists announced that they have completed a DNA analysis of the skeleton. As they report in the journal Nature Communications, these remains truly are the former king beyond any reasonable doubt. What's even more impressive: By tracing the genetic evidence through more than 20 generations of the dead king's family tree to his living descendants, the scientists have completed the oldest DNA identification case of a known individual.

richard-iii-02.jpg

Crazy stuff. The ability science has to find out that a skeleton under a parking lot is a 600 year old dead king by tracing it through the generations is pretty crazy. I guess they did arrange a lot of "in family" relationships to preserve the royal blood line, though so it might have been easier than others. Preserve my bones under a parking lot if old.

Guevara

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds, that lour'd upon our house,
In the deep bosom of the parking lot buried.​

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
20 generations? Jesus
Good thing nobody played away. Could have mucked up some dna samples

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is a car park not a parking lot.

But pretty incredible, really. Also pretty meaningless as it doesn't really change our understanding of the past. I know a lot of the medievalists in my department are very excited.

One day a King . . . and a few years later, you are just parking lot filler dirt.

That sure puts life into perspective doesn't it?

That's a pretty weird place to bury your king, was Westminster full or something?

He was defeated in battle, his supporters fled, changed sides or hid, and his victor Henry Tudor backdated his reign so that any further supporters could be tried for treason.

We should be surprised he was still buried at all and not tossed into the river as legend once claimed.

120v

I was watching this documentary on netflix the other day was pretty blown away.

i was rolling my eyes expecting a cop out ending like "is the skeleton Richard III's? well... IT COULD BE" but when the DNA matched i was stunned

i mean what are the chances they'd find the skeleton pretty much right away by an "R" on the ground in a parking lot. some straight up indiana jones shit

frontovik

Banned
Richard III is the guy who got screwed by his daughters in the Shakespeare play right?

I think that was King Lear.

That being said, the discovery is quite fascinating.

One day a King . . . and a few years later, you are just parking lot filler dirt.

That sure puts life into perspective doesn't it?

Reminds me of this quote from Barry Lyndon .. "It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now."

It is a car park not a parking lot.

But pretty incredible, really. Also pretty meaningless as it doesn't really change our understanding of the past. I know a lot of the medievalists in my department are very excited.

Um what is a car park? Do the car owners take their cars there for some exercise? Maybe throw the ball around and play some catch?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Richard III is the guy who got screwed by his daughters in the Shakespeare play right?

"A horse, my kingdom for a horse!" is Richard III.

Bodacious

Banned
How did this happen?

In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R." They dug down 6 feet or so, right below that same parking spot, and hit the skeleton. It was genuinely spooky. The article misrepresents this ("And good evidence had led the archaeologists to the parking lot ... ") because if you watch the documentary it's clear that the local archaeologists involved were just sort of along for the ride and were sure the woman was crazy, but she paid for it so what the hell they might find some cool trinkets, right? This all happened on camera and you more or less watch it as it happens. Kinda pisses me off that they didn't credit the crazy bitch.

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom