• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNA analysis confirms skeleton unearthed from UK parking lot is king Richard III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
The funny thing about that documentary though is that she desperately wanted to prove the 'rumour mongering' about Richard III were false - that he wasn't a hunchback, he wasn't weak and deformed - and that she nearly starts crying when the skeleton seems to confirm he was indeed deformed/hunchback. I laughed.

The Richard the IIIrd Society practically sat around a table depressed wondering where things went wrong lol

Also:

There's something more interesting about these results I don't see discussed in this topic:

For the Y chromosome—found only in men and passed down by the father—the scientists had a bit more trouble. Because Richard III has no pure male-line descendants in his family tree (his sons were violently murdered) the scientists and historians had to follow Richard III's Y chromosome back up his family tree to the 14th century king Edward III, before tracing an all-male line down. The scientists then identified five descendants—all of whom distantly shared their closest heritage through the former 5th Duke of Beaufort, Henry Somerset, who died in 1803.

Here's where the story gets juicy. Only four of the five living descendants shared their Y chromosome. The 5th descendant either was either not a genetic descendant of the duke because of hidden adultery, or somewhere along the line someone had fabricated a fake claim of royal heritage. And while all four of Somerset's descendants shared a Y chromosome with each other, they did not share one with the remains of Richard the III.

After all this genetic sleuthing, this picture became clear: somewhere in the line of the family tree that extends up from Duke Henry Somerset to Edward III and down to Richard III, a queen or heiress became pregnant through adultery and then lied about it without anybody ever knowing.

It seems scientists have accidentally stumbled upon century-old royal infidelity—and crushed the royal claims of a few descendants. Hey, you never know what's going to happen when you go digging around in a parking lot.

History be juicy bros

DBT85

Lets hope nobody starts snooping around the current Royal Ffamily too much with a DNA detector then lol.

Joni

Did they also check the duke and compare his DNA with the 5? Because the four with the common Y are related, but I don't see a reason to believe the fifth can't be the actual line of the duke if they didn't do that.

Dylan

Score one for team twisted.

Next time someone makes fun of me for having scoliosis I'm going to invoke the unholy ghost of Richard III to set medieval fire to their boring symmetrical physiques.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm watching that documentary. I am at the point where she puts the flag over the box with his remains in. She wanted the person who excavated the remains to do it, but she was like, "no, I'm not doing it". lol

That woman is a bit mental.

Amazing find, hilarious story leading up to it XD

They let a skeleton be king? Terrifying.

The_Skeleton_King_(Diablo_I).gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My favorite part in the documentary about this on Netflix was the XTREME Richard III fangirl woman.

She was convinced that the guy was an amazing all around dude and everything about his tyranny was false. She thought the "twisted spine" was an insulting myth.

Watching her break down once they confirmed that Richard had a twisted spine was absolute gold.

She was like the privileged Tory equivalent of a woman who marries a jailed serial murderer serving multiple life sentences.

EDIT: Oh I'm a bit late to this... but I'm glad we all enjoyed that part!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing about that documentary though is that she desperately wanted to prove the 'rumour mongering' about Richard III were false - that he wasn't a hunchback, he wasn't weak and deformed - and that she nearly starts crying when the skeleton seems to confirm he was indeed deformed/hunchback. I laughed.

The Richard the IIIrd Society practically sat around a table depressed wondering where things went wrong lol

Also:

There's something more interesting about these results I don't see discussed in this topic:

History be juicy bros

Gets better than that. Queen Victoria was almost definitely the product of an affair given she carried haemophilia despite the fact absolutely nobody in her family had any recorded problems prior to this point. This is particularly significant given the role that the haemophilia of the Tsar's son had in bringing Rasputin into the court and exacerbating the situation to the point the February Revolution became that much more likely. So remember, kids, adultery leads to Communism.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gets better than that. Queen Victoria was almost definitely the product of an affair given she carried haemophilia despite the fact absolutely nobody in her family had any recorded problems prior to this point. This is particularly significant given the role that the haemophilia of the Tsar's son had in bringing Rasputin into the court and exacerbating the situation to the point the February Revolution became that much more likely. So remember, kids, adultery leads to Communism.

I can't wait until gamergate gets wind of this.

Seriously though, this is both amazing and kinda sad at the same time. It goes to show you could have all the money and the power in the world, but once you're dead that's it. He was left in a ditch to rot and eventually his body was covered by the earth and then a car park.

He's not a fossil. There used to be a church there. He was interred.

soepje

Here . Use one of the dvd links. Works for me on "Version 4."
Thanks! Just saw it.
That woman was really talking about Richie as if she knew him personally and had some close bond with him. I also like how that other woman didn't really seem to care at all she just made a big fat hole in the skull :p

Anjelus_

Was the man really a hunchback though? That seems like more BS propaganda started by the guy that won the war R III died in.

Given he could hide his back under clothing, wear armor and fight in battles no problem, how many people back then would really have known he had scoliosis at all?

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I was excited to hear that they finally had DNA confirmation. I saw the BBC documentary ages ago on YouTube (the version I watched anyways). Simon Farnaby from "Horrible Histories" was the host from what I remember.

What I find quite amazing is how the facial reconstruction appears similar to his portrait:

richardiii_head.jpg

king_richard_iii.jpg

...a portrait painted around 100 years after his death.

SmZA

What I find quite amazing is how the facial reconstruction appears similar to his portrait:

I wonder how much artistic license goes into those reconstructions. The portrait would have been well known to whoever did the work.

I wonder how much artistic license goes into those reconstructions. The portrait would have been well known to whoever did the work.

The hair, eyes and clothes were based on the portrait for sure, but pretty sure there only so much you can do to cheek bones, nose, chin etc.

112I8X2.jpg

All right, who stabbed him in the buttock!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think everyone ought to submit their DNA so we can identify the most rightful heir of Richard III, and depose the descendants of infidelity. Surely science can identify the royal heir.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

They build out the muscles and skin of the face using modern techniques used in crime investigation/forensics.

soepje

You like that?

Well not in particular, but i found the contrast between the Dr seemingly not giving a shit rather amusing next to the overly emotional involved lady. If i accidently broke a piece of evidence at an excavation site, and in this case a skull that could prove to be that of a king no less, i'd probably care at least a little bit.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R." They dug down 6 feet or so, right below that same parking spot, and hit the skeleton. It was genuinely spooky. The article misrepresents this ("And good evidence had led the archaeologists to the parking lot ... ") because if you watch the documentary it's clear that the local archaeologists involved were just sort of along for the ride and were sure the woman was crazy, but she paid for it so what the hell they might find some cool trinkets, right? This all happened on camera and you more or less watch it as it happens. Kinda pisses me off that they didn't credit the crazy bitch.

I was
MbU2qX7.gif
This is hysterical

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

richardiii_head.jpg

king_richard_iii.jpg

That portrait is based on this one, though:

sal_portrait.jpg

which, while painted 23 years after his death, is believed to have been based on contemporary paintings itself. It's a game of Chinese whispers in painting form, if you like. Most portraits were actually made under similar conditions - not with the same time delay, but subjects rarely actually modeled for the artists charged with creating their likeliness. The more usual practice was to have an apprentice provide the master with a very brief sketch of the person to be painted, in the same way you get speed sketches of the accused in courts today, and then the master to work from the sketch of the apprentice. In a way, the historical recreation provided works in much the same way - basing their recreation on the painting before them. They do have one advantage, though - we at least know what his head (sans the skin and muscle and eyes and whatnot) actually looks like now!

In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R."

Was wondering how the hell this came to be. oops meant to post in the other recent thread about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom