• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNA analysis confirms skeleton unearthed from UK parking lot is king Richard III

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the hell does a person with a spine that deformed look like in real life?

(and please don't post any picture examples; I'd like to sleep peacefully tonight)

OraleeWey

wo6WsTFh.jpg
Was that intentional?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How much inbreeding was there in Richard's line? Isn't scoliosis supposed to be more prevalent in those kinds of cases?

In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R." They dug down 6 feet or so, right below that same parking spot, and hit the skeleton. It was genuinely spooky. The article misrepresents this ("And good evidence had led the archaeologists to the parking lot ... ") because if you watch the documentary it's clear that the local archaeologists involved were just sort of along for the ride and were sure the woman was crazy, but she paid for it so what the hell they might find some cool trinkets, right? This all happened on camera and you more or less watch it as it happens. Kinda pisses me off that they didn't credit the crazy bitch.

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

Holy Fuck! Really? Gonna go check this out.

Gluka

In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R." They dug down 6 feet or so, right below that same parking spot, and hit the skeleton. It was genuinely spooky. The article misrepresents this ("And good evidence had led the archaeologists to the parking lot ... ") because if you watch the documentary it's clear that the local archaeologists involved were just sort of along for the ride and were sure the woman was crazy, but she paid for it so what the hell they might find some cool trinkets, right? This all happened on camera and you more or less watch it as it happens. Kinda pisses me off that they didn't credit the crazy bitch.

Do you know the name of the documentary by any chance?

no, I mean the extreme curvature he had. my cousin has scoliosis and you can really only tell when his shirt is off or if you look closely at his shoulders.

this dude's skeleton looks like a pretzel.

It probably wasn't as extreme as the disjointed skeleton makes out. They reckon the type he had was easily hidden by the thick coats and robes they wore at the time. He did wear plate armour and rode on horseback so he can't have been that disfigured.

kess

There's a similar story regarding the "discovery" of the Scottish Crown. Cromwell, as is well known, hated all things to do with the Royal Family and had the crown of Edward the Confessor, Tudor, and most crown jewels destroyed. The Scottish crown went into storage for years after the Act of Union and the location was forgotten until it was discovered in Edinburgh Castle by a search party organized by Sir Walter Scott. This is why Scottish regnal crown is actually older than the English one.

The searchers eventually found them in the little strong room at Edinburgh Castle locked in an oak chest, covered with linen cloths, exactly as they had been left after the Union on 7 March 1707. They were put on display on 4 February, 1818 and have been on view ever since in Edinburgh Castle, where thousands come to see them each year.

Anjelus_

what the hell does a person with a spine that deformed look like in real life?

(and please don't post any picture examples; I'd like to sleep peacefully tonight)

He looked just like anyone else? The skeleton makes it look worse than it is. With clothing on his curvature wouldn't have been noticeable at all. Without clothing you'd probably see he was uneven, but we aren't talking about any truly serious deformity here. This is a guy that wore full armor, killed several Knights and fought like hell before being brought down.

Scoliosis is kind of an odd thing. For some people it's a crippling disability, for others not so much. I've known people that were randomly diagnosed with it in their 40s after an X-ray for an unrelated reason and had no idea they had it because they were completely asymptomatic and nobody had ever taken a close look at their back while they were bent over. And I'm not talking about minor degrees of curvature here.

I think a lot of it has to do with how good your muscles are in that area. Guy like Richard III? Training for war all the time? He might have had some back pain at the most.

phaze

Richard was a rare case of actual brotherly loyalty in the royal family. Well at least as long as his brother lived.

Anjelus_

As an aside, I think R III got a raw deal in history. He was betrayed in that last battle by a guy who was, frankly, one hell of an opportunist and a bit of a jerk. And he went down fighting hard, taking several enemies with him and being wounded multiple times before finally going under.

And yea, like I said, his spine probably wasn't as big of an impediment as it looks. However, it's still impressive that he trained through it regardless. Props!

Joni

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

Are we sure she didn't bury it there herself? Because that is spooky.

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

mind blown indeed.

Joni

Since, I assume now, it was a parkinglot, it had asphalt above? Would have been hard.
Maybe she did so earlier, before the parking was there. In any case, when I hear something like that, I assume she knew very well where it was, either because she put it there or someone in her family did.

StayDead

They let a skeleton be king? Terrifying.

Thank king skeletal.

Seriously though, this is both amazing and kinda sad at the same time. It goes to show you could have all the money and the power in the world, but once you're dead that's it. He was left in a ditch to rot and eventually his body was covered by the earth and then a car park.

Porcile

That woman was crazy, like a bonafide loon. Wouldn't surprise me if she got in the grave when no one was looking and had a little cuddle.

Atrophis

That woman was crazy, like a bonafide loon. Wouldn't surprise me if she got in the grave when no one was looking and had a little cuddle.

She is. When they showed her the skeleton and confirmed he had a spinal deformity she fled the room in tears because she was convinced that was just rumour spread by his enemies to blacken his reputation. She is clearly in love with a man who has been dead for hundreds of years.

soepje

I was
MbU2qX7.gif
Do you remember the name of the documentary?

Very curious how that woman managed to get to the spot that precisely.

mclem

They already knew it was Richard III but this gave me a reason to re-look one of my favorite Shakespeare stories. The ones about war are the best. If you haven't already seen the Ian Mckellan version this should entice you enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwKSJ7XtNzc#t=169

Richard III is also due to be the third part of the second series of The Hollow Crown when that's shown. Cast is as good as all the Hollow Crowns have been:

Wikipedia said:
Judi Dench as Cecily, Duchess of York
Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard III
Sophie Okonedo as Queen Margaret
Keeley Hawes as Queen Elizabeth
Geoffrey Streatfeild as Edward IV
Sam Troughton as George
Ben Daniels as Buckingham
James Fleet as Hastings
Phoebe Fox as Anne

Red Mage

As an aside, I think R III got a raw deal in history. He was betrayed in that last battle by a guy who was, frankly, one hell of an opportunist and a bit of a jerk. And he went down fighting hard, taking several enemies with him and being wounded multiple times before finally going under.

And yea, like I said, his spine probably wasn't as big of an impediment as it looks. However, it's still impressive that he trained through it regardless. Props!

Yep. He really wasn't any more or less evil than the other kings of his day. Shakespeare's play can be read as a parody of Tudor propaganda, even. Also, the article says that he married his brother's wife, but he didn't. There were rumors that he had his eye on his niece, but those were just rumors.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Richard III is also due to be the third part of the second series of The Hollow Crown when that's shown. Cast is as good as all the Hollow Crowns have been:

omfg didn't know Keeley was in as well

OMG OMG STOP ME

Rapstah

Leicester Cathedral

_75554319_75554318.jpg

There was some opposition though, some wanted him buried in York where he spent most of his youth, and being of the House of York during the Wars of the Roses.

I wouldn't bury him there: you can tell from the picture the place is full of ghosts.

mclem

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

There's more detail on this in the pilot episode of the QI podcast.

Bodacious

Banned
Do you remember the name of the documentary?

Very curious how that woman managed to get to the spot that precisely.

Yeah it was "Richard III : The King in the Car Park" on Channel 4. I'm in the USA, just ran across it at random on eztv as something interesting to watch. Here's a promo I found on YT. It was some time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drinD2oc6Gk

Edit: Yiazmat's link above to smithsonianchannel shows you enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom