• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials | Official Trailer

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's not just a random character, but a whole narrative about how "the Doctor is non-binary" and how being fluid beyond gender somehow grants a magical identity and perspective... in a children's show. I find this morally reprehensible as do many others. It's on another level entirely from a few diversity swaps.

…not to mention the message about ‘male presenting’ people not understanding things. What message is that to deliver to little boys?

While I am more than happy for a show to be willing to portray transgender characters positively, in order to help children understand them… I do take a big fucking issue with that same show portraying male characters negatively, given what that says to the young male audience.

Either lift everyone equally, or shut the fuck up and just make a sci-fi show.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is a weird angle to take. Apparently, males can't let go of power.

In life, everyone learns to let go of a lot of things.

Davies has some weird ideas.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
…not to mention the message about ‘male presenting’ people not understanding things. What message is that to deliver to little boys?

While I am more than happy for a show to be willing to portray transgender characters positively, in order to help children understand them… I do take a big fucking issue with that same show portraying male characters negatively, given what that says to the young male audience.

Either lift everyone equally, or shut the fuck up and just make a sci-fi show.

Here's the issue: SF offers a massive opportunity to address all kinds of real-world issues allegorically. But of course, being the hack that he is, RTD introduces his rhetoric in the most thuddingly blunt and obvious way possible.

Its bad activism and SHIT writing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was thinking about this again earlier.

I have been trying to keep what DeafTourette DeafTourette said about how teenagers speak in mind. But it seems to me that the Rose character is played as an unlikeable, stuck up, holier than thou character that has a habit of talking down to the Doctor - traits of bad/evil characters. But Rose is portrayed as a positive character, right? Is there some sort of redemption arc/growth that makes Rose an actually likeable character or some sort of flaw that would normally humanise a character?

Krathoon

Gold Member
I assume Davies is playing off of Donald Trump and Putin. Two male figures that have trouble letting go of power.

It is kind of a male thing, but not really something to poo poo the gender about.

He is waving his finger at male dominance.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Watched it with a friend last night, and she's very open but usually avoids social media shit, and even she said that the last few minutes it went very preachy, she liked the whole binary/non-binary thing and thought it was a cute work around and call back, but then they pushed it a bit too far with the whole "it's because we're women, so you as a male will never be able to understand" thing along with the "we can just let go", which she said felt like a bit of a cop out and should've been something the Doctor knew about, he wouldn't risk someone dying over them giving up absorbed power, if anything he's shown to sacrifice himself when it's happened to others in the past.

Airola

The new episode started shaky with black/pakistani/indian/whatever Isaac Newton and later hinting/joking that the Doctor might be gay now, but the rest of the episode was really REALLY good. One of the best in years. I think I might've not seen an episode this interesting since Matt Smith or even Tennant's seasons. A solid high concept scifi idea with a lot of tension, suspense and high stakes. Might be one of those episodes that end up being one of the memorable ones. If the first episode was something like 5/10 at best, this episode was at least 9/10.

Last edited:
I thought the sci-fi was very good. It wasn't as special as I thought it would be given the secrecy, but good nonetheless.

Some of the CGI was questionable.

My biggest issue is the beginning. Doctor Who was set up to educate and in an anniversary special they pull that crap.

No.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That would have made a great 10th Doctor episode.

Mixed race Isaac Newton marks it out as definitely 2023 though 🙄

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
The Doctor is having issues with his identity. He truly does not know who he is anymore.

It sounds like, long ago, he was running from something.

Krathoon

Gold Member
They do seem to be gaying up the Doctor. I suspected Davies would pull that.

It does kind of annoy me. I think Davies is shaping the show a little too much in his perspective.

Vyse

Gold Member
I cancelled Disney plus last month and it was paid up to last week. Missed this last special. Will wait to hear about the new Doctor. Not much else of value for me to continue to pay monthly for something I don’t watch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Never really been into Doctor Who but I did always like David Tennant as the Doctor.
I honestly thought they was going to get their shit together by doing something that has never been done before and bring David back.
Even when they announced the next Doctor I still thought they was just gonna try and please both crowds but despite my awareness of how this always plays out post 2016, I gave them thr benefit of the doubt.
Season 4 No GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Never really been into Doctor Who but I did always like David Tennant as the Doctor.
I honestly thought they was going to get their shit together by doing something that has never been done before and bring David back.
Even when they announced the next Doctor I still thought they was just gonna try and please both crowds but despite my awareness of how this always plays out post 2016, I gave them thr benefit of the doubt.
Season 4 No GIF by Sony Pictures Television
How bad was it?

Krathoon

Gold Member
I am not certain if they are going to play the black Doctor as straight or not.

The way things are going, probably not.

Last edited:

AGRacing

This is a true story.

I watched about maybe 10 minutes of this with my wife. We got to the point where he snuck into the crash site. I had seen a handful of Tennant episodes back in the day and enjoyed them. Not an overall Who fan but I know a Dalek when I see one.

It felt ridiculously low budget. I almost turned it off at the recap because that was RIDICULOUSLY bad.

Anyway. When we saw the daughter we both IMMEDIATELY knew what was happening. I doubt I would have even noticed if the agenda wasn’t so predictably obvious at this point. Right now spotting where the woke point is in a show is like a pre-school level “Where’s Waldo”. Subtext is dead.

My wife later dismissed our own guess after we only saw a quick couple shots of the daughter maybe running away with a “well nobody seems gorgeous on this show”. To which I responded “fair point”.

So I had forgotten about it and saw this thread and wondered if any comments would be made about the low budget. Now I get the privilege of sharing with her that our instincts were right and writing for television in 2023 is an absolute joke.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This is a true story.

I watched about maybe 10 minutes of this with my wife. We got to the point where he snuck into the crash site. I had seen a handful of Tennant episodes back in the day and enjoyed them. Not an overall Who fan but I know a Dalek when I see one.

It felt ridiculously low budget. I almost turned it off at the recap because that was RIDICULOUSLY bad.

Anyway. When we saw the daughter we both IMMEDIATELY knew what was happening. I doubt I would have even noticed if the agenda wasn’t so predictably obvious at this point. Right now spotting where the woke point is in a show is like a pre-school level “Where’s Waldo”. Subtext is dead.

My wife later dismissed our own guess after we only saw a quick couple shots of the daughter maybe running away with a “well nobody seems gorgeous on this show”. To which I responded “fair point”.

So I had forgotten about it and saw this thread and wondered if any comments would be made about the low budget. Now I get the privilege of sharing with her that our instincts were right and writing for television in 2023 is an absolute joke.

Recently had an argument with another person in regards to Persona 4. Sadly it seems this idiocy is not relegated only to modern shows, but how we view old content as well. With them desperately trying to claim that Naoto is Trans and that the devs were being transphobic. This being blatantly false as Naoto pretends to be a male to be taken seriously as a detective as women are not taken seriously in Japanese society at the time.

Morons have failed upwards at such an extent that we see these very morons in the writing chair for major franchises. Hence my dream of them putting the Doctor on ice, returning in 10-15 years and just rebooting everything from the end of Capaldi's run (or even Smith's final episode).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hence my dream of them putting the Doctor on ice, returning in 10-15 years and just rebooting everything from the end of Capaldi's run (or even Smith's final episode).

Rather like the MCU it’s very easy to see where Doctor Who should have ended… with The Doctor’s regenerations being used up with Matt’s death. They could have then either rebooted back to 1 or just tried something else. The last ten years have been increasingly unpopular shit, with none of the elements that made it great.

My head canon is forever that The Doctor died with his regenerations all gone.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Rather like the MCU it’s very easy to see where Doctor Who should have ended… with The Doctor’s regenerations being used up with Matt’s death. They could have then either rebooted back to 1 or just tried something else. The last ten years have been increasingly unpopular shit, with none of the elements that made it great.

Are the ratings down? Does bbc release that data?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Are the ratings down? Does bbc release that data?

On Matt Smith's era?

Less than half.

The show can't even get above third on shows watched on a Saturday evening anymore. Less than five million watched these last three, with viewers dropping off every episode.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Reminds me of when a man wore a skirt on Star Trek: The Next Generation for one episode and never was seen again.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The Giggle
I don't quite get why the giggle was supposed to agitate people. I guess it was because they are feeling they are being laughed at.

Saiyan-Rox

I actually really liked the Giggle.

In comparison to what utter shite we've been served in the past few years it was nice to watch a good goofy powerful villain.

And what they did to tennant..... I guess he really will be the curator of the British gallery after all.

Not sure what to think of the new guy but I'll at least watch a full episode with him before I make judgement. I will say his sonic is fucking ridiculous and stupid.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

They didn't even need to reboot, they could just have had a new time lord take up the mantle after learning the good The OG Doc did throughout the millennia after noticing some strange inaccuracies that was taught on Galifrey, showing that core trait of inquisitiveness and a want to see history for themselves. Also gives them an excuse to meet up with the doc, their hero, during the big celebrations and crossovers. This way they can also have their own backstory of being some idiotic "chosen one" without insultingly destroying Hartnell's legacy.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Recently had an argument with another person in regards to Persona 4. Sadly it seems this idiocy is not relegated only to modern shows, but how we view old content as well. With them desperately trying to claim that Naoto is Trans and that the devs were being transphobic. This being blatantly false as Naoto pretends to be a male to be taken seriously as a detective as women are not taken seriously in Japanese society at the time.

Morons have failed upwards at such an extent that we see these very morons in the writing chair for major franchises. Hence my dream of them putting the Doctor on ice, returning in 10-15 years and just rebooting everything from the end of Capaldi's run (or even Smith's final episode).
Not at all surprised by the P4 example. The fandoms and communities that get lost in their own bubbles get high on their own supply start believing their fan fictions are canon. I think it's especially bad in trans-adjacent communities, where some are so desperate for anything to be "theirs" so that they can feel more validated and convince themselves of the narrative that there's armies of closet/secret trans people and characters that have been hiding in plain site all these years. It's not exclusive to that sort of community, of course.

I was going to say people even say Time Lords are trans now, but didn't that recent episode make them being "non-binary" a plot point? The clutching isn't just on Tumblr and Reddit anymore, I guess.

Tams

It's just so tiring.

And it's not like you can completely ignore this nonsense.

This way they can also have their own backstory of being some idiotic "chosen one" without insultingly destroying Hartnell's legacy.

As if they care.

Top Bottom