• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials | Official Trailer

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
A kilt. The actor is Scottish
Ah yes, the Scottish Dr Who, from Gallifrey, Rwanda, Dundee whos now gay!

What the hell is a Gallifrey anyway?

q7fH2p4.gif

YCoCg

Ah yes, the Scottish Dr Who, from Gallifrey, Rwanda, Dundee whos now gay!

What the hell is a Gallifrey anyway?

q7fH2p4.gif
Do you even watch the show? Honest question because The Doctor has always acknowledged what they regenerate into, such as the 9th Doctor saying he's from "the North", the 13th knowing he was an angry Scotsman, etc.

The Doctor is a time lord from Gallifrey but regenerations take on attributes each cycle for any time lord.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Do you even watch the show? Honest question because The Doctor has always acknowledged what they regenerate into, such as the 9th Doctor saying he's from "the North", the 13th knowing he was an angry Scotsman, etc.

The Doctor is a time lord from Gallifrey but regenerations take on attributes each cycle for any time lord.
I know, it's just funny that the Dr is taking on more and more 'human' traits

By the 20th he'll be Cornish eating pasties, or from London eating Halal based meats.

Well, maybe not the Halal part as he's gay now I guess 🤷‍♂️

Or is he a he? She? They/Them? With all this modern politics in Dr Who it's hard to keep up.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I know, it's just funny that the Dr is taking on more and more 'human' traits

By the 20th he'll be Cornish eating pasties, or from London eating Halal based meats.

Well, maybe not the Halal part as he's gay now I guess 🤷‍♂️

Or is he a he? She? They/Them? With all this modern politics in Dr Who it's hard to keep up.
You know a gay actor can play a straight character and vice versa right? It's called acting.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I am fine with it as long as they don't do a hard lean on the gay like with Captain Jack and Torchwood.
No gay sex scenes.
I doubt that will happen because this is still seen as a children's show.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Talk about integration into your new country. Good job. Is the crop top also a scottish traditional clothing?
There are a lot of African descendants in Ireland and Scottland. That CAN'T be news to you!

I don't know about the shirt... will have to see in the episode.

There are a lot of African descendants in Ireland and Scottland. That CAN'T be news to you!

I don't know about the shirt... will have to see in the episode.
He migrated to Scotland when he was young, not like he’s a second or third generation scottish. So, can he really be called an African descendant?

I’ve started watching Dr Who (starting with the 2005 series) - it looks a bit dated but I am enjoying it. I am debating whether to stop after Matt Smith or after Peter Capaldi.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
He migrated to Scotland when he was young, not like he’s a second or third generation scottish. So, can he really be called an African descendant?

I’ve started watching Dr Who (starting with the 2005 series) - it looks a bit dated but I am enjoying it. I am debating whether to stop after Matt Smith or after Peter Capaldi.

Capaldi has some really good episodes and his companion is gorgeous.

But save your sanity and don't watch anything after him. It is all downhill straight into a gutter filled with shit.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Capaldi has some really good episodes and his companion is gorgeous.

But save your sanity and don't watch anything after him. It is all downhill straight into a gutter filled with shit.

You have to be specific... #12 had 2 female companions. Bill and Clara. I loved both of them and both are gorgeous to me.

Nardole was the only male companion for #12

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

He's a Scottish citizen and has a Scottish accent (from what I can tell)... Unless you think someone isn't scottish unless they were born there?

Soodanim

Gold Member
People don't like the writing for Capaldi but I enjoyed him as a Doctor and think he's worth your time if you're still enjoying it. As Faust said, there's some really good stuff in there that is worth seeing. If nothing else there's a long running story that starts with Tennant and ends with Capaldi that you may very well want to see.

Absolute worst case scenario: you hit a point where you're no longer enjoying it and either skip an episode or decide you don't care enough to carry on. No hard rules necessary.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The part where the Toymaker was going through the companions since Donna that died was pretty good.

They were sort of ok.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just kill this doctor for good and use the doctor "daughter" from the cloning episode years back.
Fun facts: Georgia Moffett (who played the "daughter" in that episode) is the IRL daughter of Peter Davidson, the fifth doctor.

She and David Tennant met on set while filming the episode, and were married later the following year. They're still together and have 5 kids! So, the fifth doctor is now the tenth doctor's father-in-law.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Neil Patrick Harris was pretty amazing in that last special episode. The perfect actor to play a godlike being. That one scene showed how it is impossible to fight the Toymaker.

xandaca

Anyone been watching any Classic Who, particularly UK Gaffers now it's all on iPlayer? I've been slowly going through them in random order, most for the first time but rewatching a couple I haven't seen in years. My thoughts (with spoilers) on the ones I've seen so far:

The Edge Of Destruction: An imperfect but respectably ambitious two-parter which does a lot to drive the characters and their relationships forward. The Doctor reconciling with Barbara at the end is a really lovely scene where he finally shows his companions respect and recognises he cannot keep treating them as suspicious or unwanted. It's not what might be expected from a Doctor Who story but feels important in the show finding its feet and how to write its characters.

The Dalek Invasion Of Earth: Starts out incredibly strongly with great tension and atmosphere, particularly the famous cliffhanger of the Daleks emerging from the river. Unfortunately the middle episodes drag and the last two are fun but a mess both in terms of plot and ambition outstripping capability. The Doctor being almost completely absent from episode four (I think) is odd, but Ian and Barbara are top-tier companions, both headstrong and highly capable in their own way. Sadly for such an important character in the series' lore, Susan is a complete wet blanket. The Doctor's speech on her departure is rightly famous but quietly, it's a relief to be rid of someone whose contributions to stories were mostly screaming or getting injured.

Spearhead From Space: A lot of fun, more outwardly comedic than any Who I've seen by this point in the series' chronology, though the scene where the Autons march down the high street murdering people is tremendous. Pertwee isn't a particularly 'alien' Doctor but has great force of personality and charisma, while Liz Shaw, his ostensible companion, is fantastic: a highly competent scientist who takes no shit from anyone around her and doesn't care what they think of her. As a serial, it's fun and well-paced all the way through, but the last episode does get a bit too silly (those tentacles!) even by Classic Who standards. Nevertheless, very enjoyable.

Inferno: Though I haven't seen a huge amount of Classic Who (more than is listed here, but not much overall), I maintain the belief that no serial need be more than four episodes long. Inferno is remarkably engaging throughout for a seven-parter but its narrative is still very baggy and could have been done better in far less time. The alternative versions of Liz and the Brigadier are great and as before, Pertwee's charisma keeps it on track despite the constituent parts of the story not gelling particularly well (it would have been better had it just been the Doctor fighting to return to his reality to save it from destruction, ditching the Primoids altogether). Another strong entry but its length bogs it down a bit.

The Three Doctors: Passable but not all that interesting considering the material. Pertwee and Troughton are fun when given the chance to bounce off each other, but the Second Doctor is written extremely broadly and only once is it played as the old 'acting the fool to fool his enemy' trick. Hartnell's little cameos are nice for what they are and the Brigadier's exasperation with dealing with two Doctors adds some levity, but Omega is a completely one-dimensional shouty villain and the story barely enough to fill two of its four episodes. Not bad exactly but doesn't live up to its potential by a long shot.

Genesis Of The Daleks: One of the most famous and important serials in Doctor Who history takes a few episodes to get going, dragging out a lot of set-up and some dull stuff with Sarah and the Mutos. Once Davros' plan kicks into gear, though, the story more than lives up to its barnstorming reputation. Davros is the star of the show, both in his conversations with the Doctor and his psychotic willingness to kill everyone on Skaro, including his own people, to ensure his Daleks' survival (his ironic fate at the end is another excellent decision). The scene where the Doctor questions the morality of exterminating the Daleks for good is brilliant on its own, but somewhat undercut by his later decision to definitely go back and do it, saved from any moral responsibility when a Dalek does it for him by mistake.

The Deadly Assassin: Great fun. Very well-paced at four episodes, packed with lore, an intriguing plot and one of my favourite depictions of The Master, reduced to a charred husk and desperate for new life. The third episode arguably didn't need a whole twenty-five minutes to relay what little plot advancement it offered but was fun nevertheless, even if it could have done with being a bit more abstract considering it takes place inside the Matrix. Nevertheless, this is among the strongest of the serials I've watched on iPlayer.

Earthshock: Pretty good. I don't think it lived up to its elevated reputation, with a scrappy plot, a Cyberman design I find quite silly, the ill-fitting casting of Beryl Reid and the complete mishandling of Adric's death in the last episode (making the silent credits just a little embarrassing). Peter Davison isn't my favourite depiction of the Doctor either, lacking the mystery or strength of personality which makes the character most memorable for me. It had its moments and was mostly fun, just not much more than that.

The Five Doctors: Sadly, a bit of a duffer. Of the eponymous five Doctors, one is only in thirty seconds of archive footage and the other is recast, while none of them get to spend much time together or interact in any meaningful way. The returning companions (and the Master) are just there for show, and not addressing the nature of Susan's exit in any feels particularly egregious. The story, as much of it as there is, adds a bit to lore but is otherwise as by-numbers as it gets. The Raston Warrior Robot is kind of great, particularly his dramatic bounding to initiate teleportation, but like The Three Doctors, this wasn't bad per se but didn't satisfy anything I'd hope for from a multi-Doctor episode.

Vengeance On Varos: I remember this one being a terrible bore but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually quite watchable. The themes come through vividly, the characters are engaging - Sil is memorably grotesque and it's cool to have a non-humanoid villain which isn't a Dalek - and Colin Baker is a much more compelling presence as the Doctor than I'd given him credit for. It doesn't have the energy, style or biting humour to pull off the 2000AD punk nihilism it is going for, and is very much in that vein of Classic Who episode taking place entirely in dreary brown corridors and caves, but it keeps the pace up well enough. I remembered lousy and got solid, so in that respect a pleasant - wrong word given the tone, perhaps - surprise.

Remembrance Of The Daleks: Until Peter Capaldi rocked up, Sly McCoy was my favourite Doctor and I've long defended his last two seasons as the show's true golden age. This was perhaps my favourite of his serials - maybe of the entire show - and it lived up to that completely: exciting all the way through, thematically poignant without being didactic (take note, Russell), and the Doctor and Ace's interplay is immediately delightful and funny. This is modern Who before modern Who, with a companion who more than holds her own and has a vital place in the story, a Doctor with a strongly defined character and pieces of a story arc being very effectively moved into place. Seeing the Doctor relish in his devious triumph at the end is a real thrill, and any nitpicks I have are extremely minor. Top-tier stuff.

Silver Nemesis: This was the one McCoy serial I hadn't yet seen, in part because of its reputation as being a decidedly lesser entry. While it is in many respects a weaker rewrite of Remembrance - despite, oddly, only having one story separating them in the same season - I also found quite a bit to enjoy. Lady Peinforte and her doofus of an assistant are great fun, the Doctor and Ace are as wonderful a team as ever, and the action scenes and some of the effects are surprisingly effective for the time. The Cyberman design is still pretty silly - the chin is thankfully no longer transparent, but the fingers are distractingly sausagey - and the Nazis, while amusingly hammy, serve absolutely no purpose to the plot whatsoever. It's leagues below the gold standard of Season 25/26 stories but I still enjoyed it and would probably edge it ahead of my memory of Happiness Patrol and Battlefield.

EDIT: I also watched the last episode in the Toymaker serial, the only surviving one, and despite a strong performance from Michael Gough it's a bit too silly for its own good, particularly with much of the climax involving the companions engaged in a rigged game of hopscotch against a schoolboy called Cyril. Conceptually the Toymaker has a lot going for him - which RTD took advantage of in the first half of 'Giggle', before completely losing track of thereafter - but on its own this episode was disappointing.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I miss Matt Smith and the quirky Doctor vibe he had...
16d1c99e217d96bb73f7181275af7156.gif

doctor-who-11th-doctor.gif

I looove Matt Smith's Doctor. I loved seeing his exuberance from the very first episodes. Like when he plays football or eats an apple. I think I'll rewatch his season as I've been feeling a bit down lately. :)

They didn't even need to reboot, they could just have had a new time lord take up the mantle after learning the good The OG Doc did throughout the millennia after noticing some strange inaccuracies that was taught on Galifrey, showing that core trait of inquisitiveness and a want to see history for themselves. Also gives them an excuse to meet up with the doc, their hero, during the big celebrations and crossovers. This way they can also have their own backstory of being some idiotic "chosen one" without insultingly destroying Hartnell's legacy.

I would have liked to see his daughter take up the mantle. She was wonderful in her episode and the ending really captured the essence of a Doctor.

tumblr_nafmz7TKWd1sgf3swo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Woopah

I am fine with it as long as they don't do a hard lean on the gay like with Captain Jack and Torchwood.
No gay sex scenes.
I doubt that will happen because this is still seen as a children's show.
They can have gay characters and no sex scenes just like you can have straight characters and no sex scenes.

So I’m really liking season 3 with Tennant. I just finished “Blink” which I found is considered the best Dr Who episode and it was definitely very good. I like the Martha/Doctor relationship - very different from the Rose/Doctor one. Are the Tennant seasons the peak of Dr Who?

Soodanim

Gold Member
So I’m really liking season 3 with Tennant. I just finished “Blink” which I found is considered the best Dr Who episode and it was definitely very good. I like the Martha/Doctor relationship - very different from the Rose/Doctor one. Are the Tennant seasons the peak of Dr Who?
I also enjoyed Matt Smith who is directly after. I don't think it quite reaches the height of Tennant, but it's close and Smith is another fan favourite.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The single best season of Doctor Who is Matt Smith’s first. No contest. Starts great with the best first episode of a new Doctor ever, has a great arc across the season, and Smith portrays the best version of the Doctor.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The single best season of Doctor Who is Matt Smith’s first. No contest. Starts great with the best first episode of a new Doctor ever, has a great arc across the season, and Smith portrays the best version of the Doctor.

Of the "modern" Doctors, Matt Smith was by far the best imho. Tennant was great apart from his penchant for gurning, Ecclestone was tremendous but only having such a short tenure -and one particularly bound by narrative- was a little one-note. I like Capaldi as a performer but by the time he was cast the writing on the show had become so degraded I found it mostly unwatchable and noped out.

Dr Who's heydey was the 1970's. Pertwee and Baker's Doctor's will always be the GOATs, and I can't split the two because they were both so different and well defined yet. Absolutely definitive.

Tams

It starts going downhill from Capaldi due to the writing, but Capaldi is such a good actor (and fan) that some of his episodes are good.

After his run though, stop.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The Christmas Special was pretty good. I am liking this new doctor.

RTD seems to be setting up some mysteries.

It starts going downhill from Capaldi due to the writing, but Capaldi is such a good actor (and fan) that some of his episodes are good.

After his run though, stop.
That is good to know. We watched The Fires of Pompei today where Capaldi plays a different character and my wife was surprised that he was older than the other doctors.

Top Bottom