• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

I slide a mirror under the door to see whos there. If I dont recognize them or they dont know the secret password then down the trap door they go.

I'm assuming this is some millennial shit... because for someone of my generation, at least in the UK, the whole concept seems fucking bizarre.

mavo

Banned
Yes, why wouldnt you, i dont think people with bad intentions knock the door.

Is like people who dont answer when they dont know the number, like they are not gonna kidnap you on your phone.

Men I don't know knocking on my door while I am home alone as a female. Yup, not doing that.

While I thankfully haven't had any bad door experiences (sorry about what happened to you in your earlier post) and aren't afraid to open my door as I mentioned in my post, it is a conscious thought/worry of mine as well in the few times a man I don't know/wasn't a delivery/maintenance worker has knocked on my door and I completely understand how you feel as one incident would probably make me that way too.

n64coder

I just answered the door about five minutes ago. It was a Cub Scout selling overpriced popcorn. I bought one from him.

The previous time it happened a couple of weeks ago and it was my neighbor with a growler (half gallon of craft beer) as a token of thanks for some stuff I had done for him.

But yeah, I understand not wanting to answer the door because it's some salesman or Jehovah Witness.

pswii60

*door is knocked*

Step 1. Turn down volume of TV.
Step 2. Stop moving around so that you don't make any accidental noises.
Step 3. Stay away from windows in case they decide to see if someone's home.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. goodbye realworld.png.
This is what I do if I'm in my PJs. Ain't nobody gonna see me in those.

But then I die slowly of curiously wondering who the fuck was at the door and what they might have wanted.

But yeah, the only time I like hearing the sound of the doorbell is when I'm expecting food to be delivered.

Also: fuck people who knock when you've got a doorbell. What is wrong with them.

But yeah, I understand not wanting to answer the door because it's some salesman or Jehovah Witness.

Why? They're trivial to deal with. Have we become so useless as individuals that we can't even (politely) tell someone to fuck off because we're not interested?

Zenner

Answer it blind? No.

Answer it nekkid? It's more likely than you think.

giphy.gif

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Is like people who dont answer when they dont know the number, like they are not gonna kidnap you on your phone.

Some of you guys wouldn't last long in a foreign country. Way too trusting. Then boom passport, cellphone, and cash gone.

I've had a scam repeat in my neighborhood 3 times where a cleaning lady without a uniform or a car insists she needs to get in your shiny new house to demonstrate cleaning skills. Do I know this because I'm antisocial? No because she visited and my neighborhood facebook page shared details. Even normal sales guys are frequent and wake up neighbors babies. When UPS delivers an Amazon packages, they don't even ring.

Doorbells for unexpected guests is so antiquated. It's like having a house blow up with 5 landlines during a family movie and it's spam. No thanks.

Some of you guys wouldn't last long in a foreign country. Way too trusting. Then boom passport, cellphone, and cash gone.

Yes, because we're going to let some random fucker in... and frankly, if someone wants to get in your house, do you really thing your tiny little front door catch is going to stop them?

jwk94

I've had a scam repeat in my neighborhood 3 times where a cleaning lady without a uniform or a car insists she needs to get in your shiny new house to demonstrate cleaning skills. Do I know this because I'm antisocial? No because she visited and my neighborhood facebook page shared details. Even normal sales guys are frequent and wake up neighbors babies. When UPS delivers an Amazon packages, they don't even ring.

Doorbells for unexpected guests is so antiquated. It's like having a house blow up with 5 landlines during a family movie and it's spam. No thanks.
Lmao why would you let her in?

teh_pwn

Lmao why would you let her in?

I didn't answer, wife did. She didn't let her in but she nearly forced herself in. This is why you don't unlock property to strangers.

teh_pwn

Yes, because we're going to let some random fucker in... and frankly, if someone wants to get in your house, do you really thing your tiny little front door catch is going to stop them?

If you want to individually handle unsoliciited guests, by all means. I never have legit guests this way.

Apt101

I live in weird two story place, where when you come in my front door you need to walk up some stairs to reach the flat. So I have a voice intercom thing. I ask who it is, and if I am not expecting them, I say I'm sick/busy/whatever.

If you want to individually handle unsoliciited guests, by all means. I never have legit guests this way.

I have, and more than I can count on one hand. Again, I assume it's a generational thing.

I've literally dropped in on people randomly that I've not seen in years because I've been in the area.

Ryzaki009

I used to answer but my neighbor keeps begging for shit so now I pretend I'm the dead. If its anyone important they'll call or have a key.

A knock on the door ranks very high on curious things. If I ever hear a knock on the door I often open it without delay, and I open the door completely. I've never really thought about refusing to answer the door.

Do y'all refuse to open up letters addressed to you as well? lol!

Couleurs

I never answer the door, because it is always guaranteed to be a salesman or someone looking for a donation.

Yeah, or a religion pusher or scammer.

Outside of kids selling girl scout cookies, I've never had a single instance where opening the door for a random ass person I don't know wound up with me thinking "boy, I'm glad I talked to them".

Sure it's easy to tell a sales person "sorry, not interested", but it's even easier to just not deal with them period. My years of World of Warcraft min/maxxing has bled over into real life.

I'll always check the peephole first, in case it's a neighbor or friend/relative that pops over without seeing if I'm home first, but I'm not bothering for anyone else.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Only reason to be this afraid of answering the door is if you have fucked up credit. You have so many means to find out whose knocking before opening that there's virtually no reason to turtle as though death is the only one knocking.

Imagine you just ignore the door and it was:

A policeman informing you a loved one was just killed.
A neighbour letting you know your pet escaped and was hit by a car.
A stranger that just hit your car as they drove past and wanted to exchange insurance details.
A horny single in your area.

Like, just fucking answer the door, if it's a salesman or something just say you're not interested and close it again.
You've fucked up your life if you have a bunch of enemies knocking on your door wanting to murder you.

Astrael

I've almost always answered the door, whether in an apartment or house. I've had quite the range of visitors:

- Friends in the neighborhood that lost their phone and need help, or just spontaneously dropped by
- Served a character witness subpoena
- Offered to come to a block party/barbecue by a neighbor later that week (and to see if it's cool to even have the party that particular night due to noise issues)
- Neighbor/landlord/police complaining about noise (sometimes my fault, when I was living in my first apartment, though had one recently when we had a small party)
- Girl Scout Cookies (once)
- On one particular Christmas Eve: New manager of the house I was renting a room in, asking us when we planned to move out, because the former owner was an international criminal tax evasionist and flipped the house when he realized the FBI was on to him
- Two weeks later: Detective and SWAT looking for said tax evasionist. Didn't want them breaking the door down. It was like 7am so I was half asleep and didn't bother getting dressed.
- Roommates locked out at 3am
- Neighbor looking for lost pets
- Neighbor asking if we want to adopt one of their new kittens
- Neighbor looking for a jump for their car
- Police looking for former roommate who abandoned their car down the street months ago.

Most of that was in Los Angeles/SFV. I'm sure there's more instances but it's always a ride when I open the door. Even though I'm usually socially anxious, the most annoying part is getting dressed; my residences almost never have air conditioning or the roommates are extremely against using it so it's too hot to comfortably wear anything decent. Still, I'm fine with answering the door unless I'm just not willing to wake up from a nap.

I always answer the door. No fear here. Nothing ever happens in West Virginia blah. But my phone is different. If I don't recognize the number, forget it. They can leave a voicemail if it's important lol.

I answer the door. Usually, the storm door and the front door are locked so like a normal person I ask, "Who is it" while looking through the peephole. they say what they want and if i feel like it I open the front door. The storm door is still locked at that point. f its someone I know, I let them in or I tell them I'm not interested. If it's night time, I turn on the porch light. MY peephole is smoked so they can't look in anyway. If I'm upstairs sometimes I do this through a window up there.

Fred-87

While I completely agree that some gaffers are a social and psychological mess when it comes to...well anything. I think some of y'all strutting around this thread with your feathers all ruffled screeching about posters being weird and cowardly for not answering the door seem to be reaching your own self made conclusions as to why. Most of the posts I've read say they don't answer the door because in this day and age, who the fuck just shows up at someone's door without contacting them first? Witnesses, solicitors, and scam artists. So why bother answering? It's not out of some weird fear of interaction, but rather knowing it's not worth your time.

Not long ago someone from the neighberhood who i never met knocked on my door to invite me to a outside party... Another time a friend who i had not seen in 4 years showed up because he was closeby. He didnt had my phone number anymore to call beforehand. Etc. If you dont open the door you dont get those opportunity's. Also its just weired not to open your door. Its very easy to say 'no, thank you' Im done with solicitors in 5 seconds. How hard is that.

Diebuster

My front door has a peephole so I'll at least check, but the door's staying closed unless it's someone I'm expecting. I dislike dealing with people more than necessary.

spock

I got to work on this to. I don't like answering shit. Doors, phones, texts, emails, letters. I have a friend who makes jokes that carrier pigeon might be the best bet for getting in contact with me. As long as I know where my kids are and family, I don't really like to answer things. Creates a problem with at times for sure with mailing documents, etc. Along with pissing off some people

It's some kind of avoidance thing going on psychologically. Its weird since I'm very social and get along great with people. People have a good time around me and try to arrange things but they always say they cant get a hold of me. Which is true. Some get offended, but I explain I'm pretty much like that with everyone. Keeps the circle small.

Barzul

Yes of course. I have a peep hole and I use it. I live in a safe neighborhood as well so there's that. Not answering the door sounds super paranoid at least ask who it is or put in a peep hole.

shira

Nah there is zero reason to be going door to door in our area. Either they are casing your house to see the vulnerabilities or they are selling something. Even our neighbors just yell through the windows or dm if they need a cup of sugar

Even kids selling girl scout cookies everyone just emails around or facebooks it.

Blues1990

Why would you answer the door? Who knocks on your door in 2017? You don't need to answer to anyone.

Why should I answer the door?

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

Maybe it's different from region-to-region, but it's common courtesy to answer the door.

Why would you answer the door? Who knocks on your door in 2017? You don't need to answer to anyone.

Why should I answer the door?

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

What the fuck are you talking about? That's crazy talk.

Tell me more about these five landmines.

How do you ever receive deliveries if you don't answer the door?

Z O N E

I live in an apartment block that you need access to with a key or be let in from someone in the building if you don't have a key.

If someone knocks, I'll check the peephole and if it's someone I recognize, I'll open up, otherwise, no thanks.

If I'm expecting someone/something, then they'll buzz and let me know from the intercom.

My last place, I used to get religious people and sales people at my door way too much.

Persona7

Banned
I get a lot of solicitors and religious people so I have been trained to ignore the door. I still answer it most of the time but if I see a religious pamphlet i'm not wasting my time.

Call screening = Ringing the bell

Follow some basic procedures for both, but answering the door is easier since I always see who it is and I can recognize if I know them. Not putting on pants just to say "No, thanks".

Top Bottom