• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date

jimi_dini

So only "sooo hardcore" gamers are allowed to review games? That's weirdly exclusive. That dude probably plays more games than you and me, so that would mean reviewers only write for the 0.001%.

It depends.
I have no problem with a remark, that the game is hard like balls. Rating it down just because it doesn't have checkpoints everywhere is different, unless it's broken or unfair.

Just imagine such a reviewer reviewing "Dark Souls 2". "I died too many times, game sucks, no checkpoints, not even for boss battles, 4/10".

I mean sure, maybe some boss battles are really frustratingly hard and unfair and Retro should have included a difficulty setting and/or ask the player after dying 10 times, if he/she wants checkpoints. Idk, because I haven't played the game yet.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I love how Eurogamer says the quality in the series increases, yet their score is two points lower than DKCR's. Makes me wonder what they're giving their score for exactly.

Then I see no problem. :)
Edit: That also means "No use for the GamePad" is wrong.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does this game at least have Off-TV play? If not, that'd be a big negative.

Yes it does. And that is the only feature that matters. The game has that feature covered, and that feature alone covered. Nothing else is necessary especially in this type of game. We've seen how games forcing gimmicky gamepad bullshit ruins games. Now when a game doesn't do that it's suddenly a negative. I don't get it.

I've been playing it all weekend and am halfway through, and can say that any score less than a 9 is horseshit. Especially gamespots comment about it being the least exciting platformer he's played in years.

Level 3-1 is literally one of the best single levels I've played in a 2D platformer in a loooooong time. It's perfect. The music, art direction, and mechanics are all grade A. And while that level has stood out, it's just one of many.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I can' imagine how you'd come to the conclusion that the level design was dull. It looks anything but that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sounds fine to me. Nintendo charged me for that GamePad when I paid $350 USD for my Wii U so I'd like developers to use it.

And if the game is dull then obviously it's not a system seller.

Honestly, I think you guys are too sensitive.

So just because it's a feature of the system it's a requirement that it must be used even when it doesn't make sense in the context of the game? Yeah lets just shoehorn random touch features in to the game for no reason. That always works out so well. And every Xbox One game should force kinect on you. Lets shove some random touchpad features in to every PS4 game while we're at it. Don't forget motion controls! The more the merrier. That rear touch pad on Vita? Lets force use of that feature in every game!

maxcriden

Nintendo Life - 9/10

Retro Studios has demonstrated once again that it can take a treasured Nintendo franchise and keep it relevant, with modern thrills and retro nods expertly combined. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze utilises the Wii U’s graphical capabilities beautifully, with levels both stunning in design and looks, and impressive set-pieces that never skip a frame and can test any gamer’s skills. As a single player experience it is near flawless, but the precision of the level design can lead the often fun multiplayer into moments of chaos.

It’s another excellent title on Wii U, and a demonstration of how skilful developers and powerful hardware can be combined for spectacular results. Small touches and masterful contributions, such as the music of David Wise, only add to the experience, and this joins the lengthening list of must-have Wii U games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/donkey_kong_country_tropical_freeze

hwy_61

Banned
Sounds fine to me. Nintendo charged me for that GamePad when I paid $350 USD for my Wii U so I'd like developers to use it.

And if the game is dull then obviously it's not a system seller.

Honestly, I think you guys are too sensitive.

No need to be condescending. Also, this has off TV play. There's your moneys worth.

Gannd

Banned
So just because it's a feature of the system it's a requirement that it must be used even when it doesn't make sense in the context of the game? Yeah lets just shoehorn random touch features in to the game for no reason. That always works out so well. And every Xbox One game should force kinect on you. Lets shove some random touchpad features in to every PS4 game while we're at it. Don't forget motion controls! The more the merrier. That rear touch pad on Vita? Lets force use of that feature in every game!

That's only a requirement for Nintendo hardware.....because

Empty

these reviews are making me excited. i don't really care that the game is predictable genre piece, i just want a great 2d platformer.

Petrae

People really need to stop deducting points for this. If devs use the GamePad or not is up to them. Do they give Bone games a lower score for not using Kinect?

It's the equivalent of the penalty that some games got in the past (mid-to-late Gen6, early Gen7) for not having online multiplayer. "This game is pretty good, but not having online multiplayer is a problem."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The main idea that I take from these reviews is that it improves on DKCR. Without design flaws.

That's all I needed to know.

popyea

I've been playing it all weekend and am halfway through, and can say that any score less than a 9 is horseshit. Especially gamespots comment about it being the least exciting platformer he's played in years.

Level 3-1 is literally one of the best single levels I've played in a 2D platformer in a loooooong time. It's perfect. The music, art direction, and mechanics are all grade A. And while that level has stood out, it's just one of many.

It's very possible that if the game was too hard for him, that he played in a very cautious or slow playstyle, which would probably lessen the excitement of platforming. It certainly wouldn't afford the same kind of pace as SM3DW does for less skilled players. Not trying to insult the reviewer's skill level or anything, just offering a possible reason that the game could be the least exciting platformer he's played in years.

I'm quite skeptical about this...

Pretty much.

DKCR was the Mario Galaxy of 2D platformers. It had more creativity than any developer should know what to do with. Thankfully, Retro isn't just any developer.

With that in mind, I've seen several stages in TF that run circles around the majority of Returns' in terms of creativity and dynamism. It's on track to surpass the "holy shit!" factor of Returns, easily. And I'd say Returns already shit all over 95% of platformers back when it came out.

I haven't seen every stage in TF but there's a lot of media released and I've seen quite a bit. It's impressed the shit out of me. Enough that I have to wonder how levels this dynamic, this spectacular, and this environmentally integrated can be assembled so thoughtfully and cohesively. "Dull, derivative level design" is about as factually incorrect as you can get.

Opinions and all that, but I just don't see it. Maybe the handful of levels not yet captured and uploaded blow ass or something.

hwy_61

Banned
People really need to stop deducting points for this. If devs use the GamePad or not is up to them. Do they give Bone games a lower score for not using Kinect?

Good point. Will we see games get a lower score for this? If not, I'm calling bullshit on those same outlets that penalized the Wii U, as this is the exact same scenario.

While, I don't agree with the GameSpot review, their reviews of Nintendo products lately have left me scratching my head. Other than that, the overall impression seems generally positive and I'm enjoying the game immensely so I can't complain.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'll probably actually bother to do the time trials for this game now. Waggling for an entire stage is not fun. No waggle to roll automatically makes this game better than Returns.

coldone

All those guys who complain that DKC doesnt use WiiU PAD should also complain when Titanfall doesnt use Kinect for shooting...

Not every game needs to use every feature of the console. Some games are built as a tech demo like Wii Sports. I am happy if game by itself is great without needing it to be built with specific hardware features in mind.

MilkBeard

Interesting to see a lot of great scores, and then some lower ones. It's true in a way that Nintendo has been doing a lot of rehashes lately.

I was actually suckered into buying Returns because of all the huge praise it was getting, and I was a big fan of the original DKC. But Returns just didn't do it for me. I'm definitely going to be skipping Tropical Freeze as well. I hope it's a good game and that lots enjoy it though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

It'd be fine if it was a game that was actually attempting to use the GamePad ... but it's a platformer, you can already tell with a game like Tropical Freeze that it's not setting to be the game that justifies the GamePad's existence, to knock it points off for that reason doesn't make sense, at all.

hwy_61

Banned
Good scores.

image.php

MrBadger

I can' imagine how you'd come to the conclusion that the level design was dull. It looks anything but that.

I agree, it seems like it has a really dynamic and varied set of levels, all of which look mechanically sound. I wish more platformers were like that.

These reviews seem about what was to be expected. The game is sitting right above 80 on metacritic. I don't think anyone could complain about that.

Gannd

Banned
Good point. Will we see games get a lower score for this? If not, I'm calling bullshit on those same outlets that penalized the Wii U, as this is the exact same scenario.

Get ready to call bullshit because that won't happen.

Nerokis

It is a competent game, and I think those that thought the first great will enjoy this one as it's the better of the two. But I wasn't necessarily saying that that was a score I'd give the game, but rather what I expected from the reputable outlets.

So the game is hideous and dull which translates to a 7 being spot-on but it's better than the original but I mean a 7 is not necessarily what you'd give it

Interesting commentary... :p

Anyway, so far the spread seems reasonable/expected. Much acclaim, but with a degree of penalization for being a more or less true to the original sequel/being unexciting/not doing much to sell the Wii U as a concept, and a natural amount of differences in opinion, as well - adding up to lots of high scores, a not inconsiderable amount of average scores, and the occasional low score.

As far as review threads go, I see this one being especially unworthy of meltdowns, assuming scores don't suddenly take a turn for the extreme.

Problem I see with general reviewers is most of them are too ignorant/too young/inexperienced/uninterested in regards of platform games to be able to express a pondered, meaningful opinion. For them, a platform game is unoriginal in its own premise, just for the fact of being a platform, and they are more or less all the same. It's easy, at this point, seeing the better judged title to be the one that appealed the reviewer more for his personal reasons/taste, mainly from an aesthetics standpoint I think, or maybe even because he has a better time with an easier game that just flows, like Rayman (but then he misses completely the point of what a platform game always has been and should be). At least, I can't think of any other explanation when asserting DKCTP to be "one of the least exciting platformers played in some time" like Gamestop reviewer does (and I like to know what these platforms are actuallt, maybe we all missed them, uh?).

Linkyn

Our review is up, our reviewer liked the game a lot!
5 videos in 720p 60fps too.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_reviewed_dkc_tropical_freeze-15041_en.html

Just a rough translation of the verdict:

"Retro Studios delivers a game simply incredible in all domains. Visuals, music and gameplay are all masterfully orchestrated. The game displays all the magic of Nintendo productions, this virtually unmatched know-how that one might have honestly thought lost in the midst of the Wii U's chaotic early life. After seeing the releases of several titles of such significance, the Big N's console is beginning to showcase a library that ought to crack even the most stubborn among gamers, those that at one point loved Nintendo games but haven't necessarily wanted to invest in a system underrepresented in future release calendars, or simply all those that love video games."

hwy_61

Banned
Problem I see with general reviewers is most of them are too ignorant/too young/inexperienced/uninterested in regards of platform games to be able to express a pondered, meaningful opinion. For them, a platform game is unoriginal in its own premise, just for the fact of being a platform, and they are more or less all the same. It's easy, at this point, seeing the better judged title to be the one that appealed the reviewer more for his personal reasons/taste, mainly from an aesthetics standpoint I think, or maybe even because he has a better time with an easier game that just flows, like Rayman (but then he misses completely the point of what a platform game always has been and should be). At least, I can't think of any other explanation when asserting DKCTP to be "one of the least exciting platformers played in some time" like Gamestop reviewer does (and I like to know what these platforms are actuallt, maybe we all missed them, uh?).

I think for the young reviewers to appreciate a platformer, it HAS to be indie.

And 8-bit looking.

Feindflug

I love how Eurogamer says the quality in the series increases, yet their score is two points lower than DKCR's. Makes me wonder what they're giving their score for exactly.

Not innovative enough apparently.

Tom Bramwell said:
While other developers have sought to reinvent the platform game over the years, Retro Studios seems happy just reinventing platforms.

BTW here are some other reviews from him:

Assassin's Creed 3: 9/10
Assassin's Creed 4: 9/10
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: 10/10
Far Cry 3: 10/10
GTAV: 9/10
Bioshock Infinite: 10/10

Sakura

No use for the gamepad
Do XBO games get points deducted for not using the Kinect? Off-TV play is more use than the Kinect gets in most games. What about the PS4, do games lose points if they don't make extensive use of the touchpad on the DS4?
In Short: A highly competent 2D platformer, but one utterly devoid of any new ideas or any reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it.
What does that mean? The reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it, is because you fucking need a Wii U to play it. What other reason is there? Do you need to buy an Xbox One or PS4 to play their exclusives, other than the fact that, you know, they're exclusives? Does someone sit there playing Dead Rising 3, and go, "*sigh* there is like, no reason to buy an Xbox One in order to play this game..."

Getting really tired of this shit...

spekkeh

Banned
It depends.
I have no problem with a remark, that the game is hard like balls. Rating it down just because it doesn't have checkpoints everywhere is different, unless it's broken or unfair.

Just imagine such a reviewer reviewing "Dark Souls 2". "I died too many times, game sucks, no checkpoints, not even for boss battles, 4/10".

I mean sure, maybe some boss battles are really frustratingly hard and unfair and Retro should have included a difficulty setting and/or ask the player after dying 10 times, if he/she wants checkpoints. Idk, because I haven't played the game yet.

I wouldn't mind, because that's exactly my experience with Dark Souls. (frustrating, too much repetition, no sense of progression for long periods, 4/10). I think games should be rated on what the respective reviewer's experience was, not what some hypothetical other person might think of it.

Zalman

Do XBO games get points deducted for not using the Kinect? Off-TV play is more use than the Kinect gets in most games. What about the PS4, do games lose points if they don't make extensive use of the touchpad on the DS4?

What does that mean? The reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it, is because you fucking need a Wii U to play it. What other reason is there? Do you need to buy an Xbox One or PS4 to play their exclusives, other than the fact that, you know, they're exclusives? Does someone sit there playing Dead Rising 3, and go, "*sigh* there is like, no reason to buy an Xbox One in order to play this game..."

Best post so far.

All they're saying is that it's not a system-seller, something the Wii U is in desperate need of.
Not really a cogent part of a game review, but there it is.

Top Bottom