• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM – Launch Trailer

dlauv

Nah, I don't mean in a "that wouldn't be feasible at all with our tech!" way. I just found the designs of old more scary because the more primitive infusions of metal and flesh made them look more brutal and scary.

Quake has always had my favorite form of body horror for the reasons you describe, but it was never a big part of DOOM.

Good trailer, but I liked the prior music better. It's understandable, however, they'd go with this more mainstream, accessible version. It's like they got Imagine Dragons to make DOOM music.

Akronis

Great, I can already see all the whining in the performance Thread.
"I'm running this on ultra nightmare with my 970 and it's stuttering. The Optimization is crap!!!"

Hopefully they'll be smart and add a warning if you select it, similar to Doom 3's ultra settings stating you needed at least 512mb of VRAM.

I'm I reaching when I think that the character in Doom 2016 is the same as the original? or is it wildly known that it is? The whole "your back" line?

The campaign trailer was a lot better than this mess.

The QTE kills seem like easy mode overkill, and the new designs are just way too busy.

Doom 64 for life.

Jito

Banned
I'm I reaching when I think that the character in Doom 2016 is the same as the original? or is it wildly known that it is? The whole "your back" line?

I think it's just referring to a moment in the story where you've been somewhere (hell most likely) and then come back.

The campaign trailer was a lot better than this mess.

The QTE kills seem like easy mode overkill, and the new designs are just way too busy.

Doom 64 for life.

Good thing you can play the whole game without them then, even going as far as turning them off in the options.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
- No reload
- No sprint
- No auto-heal
- No ADS (some weapons have it)

the game as I see it have a lot of classic mechanics that differentiate it from other shooters and that's enough for me to look forward to it.

aliens + battle suits is DOOM's art direction before there was Halo btw.

Agreed, especially the last point. But hey, most who grew up on Halo, and not DOOM, do not know the history really.

Shredderi

Quake has always had my favorite form of body horror for the reasons you describe, but it was never a big part of DOOM.

Good trailer, but I liked the prior music better. It's understandable, however, they'd go with this more mainstream, accessible version. It's like they got Imagine Dragons to make DOOM music.

Wasn't as big as it was for Quake, but it was the reason I liked the older designs more and found them more scary :)

Hopefully this is as fun as Wolfenstein as that was the best FPS I've played in years.

That's my word. If it's straight up "murder hordes of demons in different environments" I'll be pleased as punch.

Shit, I won't even mind overly complicated maps and key fetch quests. Fuck it. It's what I remember doing.

Justinh

Wonder why they changed the music that was the best part of that leaked trailer.

I'm guessing it was always intended to be placeholder music.
Mick Gordon said on twitter that the notes weren't even right and for some reason it sampled from Cinder's theme. Then he called it "nasty" or something like that.

edit: I just noticed that they took out the laser-sword robot flash at the end.

German Twitch-Broadcaster Rocketbeans TV did some sort of clueless gamer with former soccer player Thorsten Legat. He is probably most famous for his appearence at the german version of " I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!." this year.

They are showing some single player footage. Don't know if there is anything new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbL56QCnDdg

German Twitch-Broadcaster Rocketbeans TV did some sort of clueless gamer with former soccer player Thorsten Legat. He is probably most famous for his appearence at the german version of " I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!." this year.

They are showing some single player footage. Don't know if there is anything new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbL56QCnDdg

Nah, it's the same level they've been showing. The second one, IIRC.

From the unfinished trailer:

A sword?

217403_capture.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This game has grown on me since its first reveal. I'm still not totally sold and think the art direction is a bit generic but the single player does look fun. Wasn't feeling what I was seeing of the MP but I'll try it out when I pick it up and maybe it will click when I'm in control.

Moff

the trailers look great and i am still super hyped
but the gameplay videos were kinda dark and boring, i really hope this game delivers

I am currently playing brutal doom to get me in the mood

Still not convinced about this one. Will wait for reviews first. I don't trust that thing if Bethesda is involved.

why is that? wolfenstein is incredibly good. if doom sucks I won't blame bethesda

Damn. I will be on the Bahamas when this comes out. Is it sad that I'd rather play DOOM than be on vacation?

Nah stay at home vacations are were it's at man. Spending a ton of free time just relaxing with games and friends, good times.

On topic, I am hesitantly hyped for the single player. Multiplayer still looks questionable but I wasn't really in it for the multi anyways.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn. I will be on the Bahamas when this comes out. Is it sad that I'd rather play DOOM than be on vacation?
Why not both? :p

My first time playing SotN was at the beach. Get some sun and water in the morning, come back and play some SotN during the afternoon when the temps were too hot then jump back in the water during the evening. Perfect.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This looks and sounds fantastic, and I loved both Doom and Quake. Is it legit on consoles? Please say yes, since my PC is really old and will probably not run this properly.

Also, Marine in one shot kinda looked like Crash. Which would be omgyes.

Cwarrior

The Unfinished trailer was too awesome, looks like they needed more time to tone down the awesomeness.

Thank god, my body couldn't handle it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
- No reload
- No sprint
- No auto-heal

the game as I see it have a lot of classic mechanics that differentiate it from other shooters and that's enough for me to look forward to it.

Doom had a sprint button.

- No reload
- No sprint
- No auto-heal

Aliens? When were aliens ever in classic doom?

This looks so awesome - can't wait to get my hands on it. Really hoping it's not just a 4 hour campaign or something, but judging by Doom 3, it should by pretty meaty.

It is because older gamers want more Doom 1/2 and less Doom3+cod+halo+idontknowanymore...

I'm an "older gamer" - played Doom 1 and 2 at time of release - and I don't just want a re-skinned version of the old games. I feel like what they've shown so far does a good job of capturing the essence of those original games. I'm also someone that really enjoyed the slow, but still arcadey action in Doom 3. Game gets way too much hate.

In which everyone played with it 'always on'.

I certainly didn't.

low-G

Its called Nostalgia.

If it was a new IP most people would likely say it looks great

I'd say it looked like Halo.

It's not nostalgia to say Doom 1 & 2 were some of the best designed games of all time, if not THE best.

This is like a writer naming himself Shakespeare Jr.

Raptomex

This looks so awesome - can't wait to get my hands on it. Really hoping it's not just a 4 hour campaign or something, but judging by Doom 3, it should by pretty meaty.
Confirmed to be at least 13 hours. So maybe 10 if you play a lot of FPS games? Still, that's pretty great.

Top Bottom