• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The 12GB update is kinda annoying for me. I have a laptop at work and in downtimes I sometimes play a game. I have a tether to my phone and a 30GB a month limit. Right now I can't play Doom at all until I get my laptop back home to finish the update( I have a few GB left this month). Oh well. Not really a complaint just an annoyance.

I hope they keep updating SnapMap to make it decent. I played it for all of 10 minutes because Doom with only 2 weapons is not fun, but now hopefully maps with numerous weapons will be standard.

Since they won't let us have actual mods.

daedalius

So multiplayer on xbone is just totally dead or what?

I've spent about 20 minutes hopping between playlists trying to get a match, and quit the game and relaunched it a few times already.

I expected people to be playing on this double XP weekend thing...

Manu

So multiplayer on xbone is just totally dead or what?

I've spent about 20 minutes hopping between playlists trying to get a match, and quit the game and relaunched it a few times already.

I expected people to be playing on this double XP weekend thing...

In my experience, Team Deathmatch is still the only mode people are still playing. I can usually find a match in seconds.

Every other mode is dead.

I was at the Bruiser Brothers fight at the end of Advanced Research Complex, I chainsawed the first one as it spawned, then moved over to the elevator and saw this.

7C050A5315F132676C3FF7C06E0D66F91AE14B4C

He kept running against the wall for about 20 seconds, and then

just flopped over.

daedalius

In my experience, Team Deathmatch is still the only mode people are still playing. I can usually find a match in seconds.

Every other mode is dead.

Weird, I tried it several times and never got past the "looking for at least 3 more players" or something like that.

I'll try again tomorrow

Apo

I started playing DOOM and I am considering to make a 100% playthrough.

Can I always explore a level any time before I hit the exit button at the end or are there missions where certain areas are blocked after I proceed to far?

The thing is I don't want to spoil anything with watching a 100% walkthrough while playing and want to explore the levels by myself. But I don't have time for a second or multiple playthroughs.

I started playing DOOM and I am considering to make a 100% playthrough.

Can I always explore a level any time before I hit the exit button at the end or are there missions where certain areas are blocked after I proceed to far?

The thing is I don't want to spoil anything with watching a 100% walkthrough while playing and want to explore the levels by myself. But I don't have time for a second or multiple playthroughs.

100% all of the achievements/trophies is rather easy in this this game, so i say go for it. Some levels you can explore just before finishing them, but others will cut you off at certain points through out the level and prevent you from going back. Its all good though, because you can always just load that level back up when you finish the game and collect what ever it is that you missed the first time. You don't even have to do the challenge tombs right away. Just find and activate them, and then you can finish them later in the main menu. Its not ideal since they give you perks, but there were only 2 or 3 perks that i found useful throughout the game.

Another tip would be to upgrade your suite early on so that it makes a noise and vibrates when your near a collectable.

Apo

Thank you!

The description of some trophies/achievements says that I need to do this in a single campaign run. For example Argent Fiend: "Fully upgrade Health, Armor, and Ammo capacity on a single campaign run."

Does reloading a level after finishing the game for those trophies/achievements, too?

Thank you!

The description of some trophies/achievements says that I need to do this in a single campaign run. For example Argent Fiend: "Fully upgrade Health, Armor, and Ammo capacity on a single campaign run."

Does reloading a level after finishing the game for those trophies/achievements, too?

It basically means on one save file slot. You can just go back and collect the things you need to fully upgrade your suit by reloading the levels on that save slot. Nothing is missable that would require you to go back and replay the entire game over again. Its an unusually easy 1000GS/Platinum for a game that seems so hardcore. The hardest for me was having to go through all the Snap Map tutorials.

Spasm

X-posted from the Vulkan thread...

Anyone else have problems with taking screenshots (F12)? Under Vulkan, it locks my PC up hard, no screenshot. Under OpenGL, it gets the screenshot, and merely crashes the game. Hoped the title update and/or driver (16.7.3) woulda fixed it, but no.

E5 2690, RX480 8GB.

It happened to me now for maybe the fourth time that those little flying robots with the weapon addons flew away from me, I grabbed them mid flight and they carried me across half of the level with them.
What a weird bug.

i'm terrible at this and ended up lowering the difficulty. having way more fun now. i'm at the kadingir sanctum. i'm having trouble at one part, not sure where it is exactly, but the amount of strong enemies is overwhelming.

I played most of the game on ultra violence but switched it to Hurt Me Plenty and enjoyed it a lot more.

I just finished this game and all I can say is, "what a ride!" That last boss had me hyped.

Bethesda has published my two favorite first person shooters this generation. I can't wait for some sequels!

Played this one against a random and got walked all over. Damn I'm bad at multiplayer.

Anyway, great map. Amazing that the creator was able to build something that works this well. A word of caution though: this version cannot quite be played like the original. Collision detection for the jump pads is completely different than Q3, making it easy to end up a sitting duck. (mini-rant) I kept trying to use the rocket launcher as if this were Q3 and I swear it's borderline useless. So frustrating that you can't pop people up or knock them around.

ekim

Double dipped and got it on PC. Played on Xbox One before and the difference is staggering. God is this fun and it looks just SOOOO good.

$30 on PSN right now for PS4.

I am very interested, Wolfenstien was a sleeper hit for me when it came out. I loved it.

I have $30 in my wallet, but I can't decide on this or Brut@l and Abzu.

Mothman91

My shotgun keeps on switching to the other enhancement (charged). Is there a button that makes it switch? I'm trying to keep it on explosive.

Manu

My shotgun keeps on switching to the other enhancement (charged). Is there a button that makes it switch? I'm trying to keep it on explosive.

It's up on the dpad on PS4, not sure other platforms but should be the same if you're using a controller.

Soodanim

I bought DOOM last night, and it's fantastic. Definitely worth the £20. Makes good use of G-Sync, too. I have had a few problems though, I hope these are common and have fixes.

One issue I have had twice is the game freezing. Audio still plays, and both times I've not even been in combat. The game just straight up freezes on the frame it's on and that's that. I can't do anything but turn my PC off, and alt-tabbing and all the rest of it doesn't work.

The second issue happened after I restarted (but not immediately, there was about 2 hours between turning the PC off and booting again). I had my settings on Ultra/Nightmare before the freeze, and I was getting fine results (80-130fps), but when the game loaded again I was getting 15fps and I had to quit out, lower the settings and start again. Do graphical changes not apply (even if you apply them) until a restart of the game? The menus lead me to believe it's only switching OGL/Vulkan that requires that. I am assuming they're not applying immediately as I quit out and booted Metro 2033 and was getting normal framerates.

I've just gone multi monitor so I can keep NVidia Inspector open while I play and see if anything is being pushed too far (temps, etc) as I've never had crashes like this before.

System:
i5 4690k (stock speeds)
Galax 970 (stock)
2x4GB DDR3
DOOM is on a 1TB WD Blue HDD
Playing at 1080 with High/Ultra settings

Edit: It's not my hardware. GPU peaked at 76c and CPU at 54c. Maybe it's because I'm on outdated drivers. Probably not though, they're not that old. June.

Stevey

Just started a Nightmare play through, getting my ass handed to me in the first couple of levels.
It's a lot more fun when there's a challenge though

Just started a Nightmare play through, getting my ass handed to me in the first couple of levels.
It's a lot more fun when there's a challenge though

Thats an argument that has been debated in the video game world for years. I do feel the same way as you, but i was playing it on ultra violence for my second play through and thought it added allot to the game. If it had been my first play through it may have gone a different way, and i would have been too frustrated.

Stevey

Thats an argument that has been debated in the video game world for years. I do feel the same way as you, but i was playing it on ultra violence for my second play through and thought it added allot to the game. If it had been my first play through it may have gone a different way, and i would have been too frustrated.

Yeah my first playthrough of games is always on default difficulty.
Then if I like it enough, try the harder difficulties.
Just got through the Foundry, it's slow going, but you feel like you've achieved something when you clear an area you've been stuck on for ages.

Yeah my first playthrough of games is always on default difficulty.
Then if I like it enough, try the harder difficulties.
Just got through the Foundry, it's slow going, but you feel like you've achieved something when you clear an area you've been stuck on for ages.

Totally. It depends of the game if harder difficulties are beneficial or not. Doom/s pacing and flow make for some fun battles when battles end up lasting longer because theres more enemies or them being harder to kill. My second play through on a harder difficulty was easier because how i knew where and how to level up my guy/weapons. Games dope. I want more single player content because i think i'm done with the game for awhile now.

Apo

It basically means on one save file slot. You can just go back and collect the things you need to fully upgrade your suit by reloading the levels on that save slot. Nothing is missable that would require you to go back and replay the entire game over again. Its an unusually easy 1000GS/Platinum for a game that seems so hardcore. The hardest for me was having to go through all the Snap Map tutorials.

Thanks again. Just got my platinum trophy after repeating a few parts.

This is such a great game. Only the boss fights were a little bit disappointing but the rest was superb. One of the best FPS I played in a very long time. I really hope id Software already started working on a sequel or add-on like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. As much as I would like to see a new Quake by id Software right now I rather want more Doom.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks again. Just got my platinum trophy after repeating a few parts.

This is such a great game. Only the boss fights were a little bit disappointing but the rest was superb. One of the best FPS I played in a very long time. I really hope id Software already started working on a sequel or add-on like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. As much as I would like to see a new Quake by id Software right now I rather want more Doom.

Yeah the part where you
fight those two spinning crab looking dudes
was rather lame. The other two where allot of fun though. But it was some of the hell encounters that will stick with me more than any boss battle or story moment.

DLC microreview

Maps: quite good.
Demon: Pretty fun, similar to Revenant.
Pistol: Meh, charge shot is good in combo with a shotgun though.
Kinetic Mine: Makes for some good laughs and tight escapes.
Colors: Very cool iridescent. GAF isn't generally into this kind of stuff in MP but the customization options are pretty extensive at this point.
Armors: Eh. Too similar to demon set for me.
Patterns: Wolfenstein!
Taunts:

elaine_dance.gif

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there are pictures of the actual ThreeA Doom Marine prototype from QuakeCon, but I'm having a tough time finding them - does anyone have any links?

The beginning of the game really is the hardest on Nightmare. Imps are a threat throughout the entire run, but only at the start of the game do you lack any capability to outmaneuver them and pick them off from a distance.

And I wouldn't object to having that statue, but I'd prefer a more modest figure to sit on a shelf and also not cost $260.

Cels

for anyone who bought the collector's edition, how's the statue?

it's ~$60 on amazon right now and the game by itself is $30 so i'm wondering if the steelbook + the statue is worth the $30 extra.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
for anyone who bought the collector's edition, how's the statue?

it's ~$60 on amazon right now and the game by itself is $30 so i'm wondering if the steelbook + the statue is worth the $30 extra.

The statue is really nice. Like, I quit buying collector's editions years ago, but this thing was too cool to pass on.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just bought the game on Steam and started on Nightmare. Only about two hours in but it's pretty manageable so far. Already made one bone-headed move, though. Cleared out a room and walked up to a canister that exploded after I accidentally pressed F. Blown to smithereens and felt stupid.

I gotta ask though, what are some settings I can turn down to increase performance with sacrificing some visual fidelity? I have a mix of medium and high settings and while I started the game in the 60-80fps range, some of these indoor environments are tanking my fps, bringing it down to the 30s.

Top Bottom