• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Hylian7

I'm late to the party here, but I started playing this yesterday. I switched between OpenGL and Vulkan a few times, and then the game refuses to launch and gives me a message with this link: https://support.codefusion.technology/doom/?e=88500006&l=english

ZJIkx00.png

What the hell is this bullshit?! Am I really locked out of my purchased game for 24 hours?!

Enjoying the game but one thing that's starting to annoy me is that a few missions in paths get blocked off arbitrarily whereas the first few missions let you go all the way back to the beginning if you felt like it. I can understand if a path was destroyed or there's no real way to get back but doors are getting locked now for no reason. Finding everything on my own has become needlessly bothersome.

CHC

Enjoying the game but one thing that's starting to annoy me is that a few missions in paths get blocked off arbitrarily whereas the first few missions let you go all the way back to the beginning if you felt like it. I can understand if a path was destroyed or there's no real way to get back but doors are getting locked now for no reason. Finding everything on my own has become needlessly bothersome.

Lazarus labs was BY FAR the worst with that shit haha.... I had to restart the whole level twice because I was madly driven to get everything!

CHC

Yup that's the one. Turned out I left a Praetor token literally next to a door I was stuck behind.

hah I know EXACTLY the one you're talking about, it screwed me also. I even looked up if there was a ghost cheat I could enable from the console, but I wound up giving in and just restarting the goddamn level...

NJD316

Neo Member
Just finished the campaign, seriously good fun.

Going to get stuck into the multiplayer. it's simple but I'm finding it really enjoyable.

h0tp0ck3t

To anyone with the Revenant statue: I've been thinking of snagging one - has anyone had any issues with the LED lights or the fan in the base not working?

The screw was stripped for the battery cover on mine so I had to break it off and duct tape it back on after I put the batteries in, but no problems with the lights or fan so far.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The screw was stripped for the battery cover on mine so I had to break it off and duct tape it back on after I put the batteries in, but no problems with the lights or fan so far.
Thanks for the info! I got one, but had to exchange it since the fan was wonky. Hope the new one has no issues.

A bit late to the party but damn I didn't know this much effort went into creating the OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-7-dFXOUU
Wasn't there supposed to be a part 3? I love learning about how he makes his music.

derFeef

Goddamn when is the Soundtrack coming out?

Dear Game,

Stop crashing so much.

Love, Me

I noticed this game is VERY sensitive to overclocks. So while other games are stable for me, DOOM really crashes often. I needed to soften my OC's and then it ran fine for me.

Anustart

Whats up with the super shotgun trial? +4 seconds for glory kill my fucking ass. It doesnt give 4 seconds.

Barely got it done after about 15 tries. Have to be on fucking point to not run out of time.

I noticed this game is VERY sensitive to overclocks. So while other games are stable for me, DOOM really crashes often. I needed to soften my OC's and then it ran fine for me.

I made sure to lower my OC back to stock speeds, and it still was crashing on Lazarus Labs each time I tried to get past a combat part. I noticed one crash happened when I switched to the Plasma Gun and fired a modded shot, so I loaded it back up and did that part with only the shotgun and rocket launcher and it didn't crash. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just had another crash firing off the BFG. Something is fucked up with certain weapon effects or something.

This game is fucking brilliant on Nightmare mode. I mean, seriously, those first few missions SEEM hard, but by the halfway point of the game, DOOM has forged you into a fucking FPS champion and you'll be doing shit you never thought possible. DOOM on Nightmare is the tightest goddamn shooter I've ever played.

Last night before I went to bed I finished up the chapter 8 gauntlet. SO MANY DEMONS. SO FUCKING SAVAGE. I've never been so satisfied by a shooter than in the moment those two Barons of Hell spawned in, and low on ammo and health, I remembered I had the BFG.

Finished this with a 14 hour playtime on UV, which is a pretty satisfying number. I was pretty bad at collecting secrets and I feel the need to go back for more.

Though I'm not entirely convinced that the Mancubus is that fun to fight. I'm fine with bullet sponges but the armor makes them a little annoying, to the point where I started saving the chainsaw for them.

Shoot their exposed flesh. After getting every weapon in the game, the chainsaw is practically an afterthought to me. I only ever use it in tandem with the Plasma Rifle stun shot to kill summoners. (And I just realized why I was just short of earning all five weapon upgrades in Mission 8. Gotta let those summoners summon first :-/)

The glory kills were as I feared from the day they revealed the game, a negative feature. The gameplay was slightly designed around the glory kills so enemies will tank 1-2 extra shots as they stand there dazed because you're supposed to glory kill them. No it's not like the action is slow or anything but I rather shoot everything rather than constantly stopping and starting the same punch animation 1000 times.

I felt this way about glory kills for the longest time, but now I'm a little more than halfway through this game and I've entirely repurposed Glory Kills using runes.

My runes are the mastered varients of

- Initiate glory kills from further away (like 10 meters it's INSANE)
- Glory kills are much, much faster
- Glory kills give you a speed boost

So now I use glory kills almost exclusively as a dodge mechanic. If I'm starting to get surrounded or I need to move across a space quickly, I'll pull out my machine gun, weaken a fodder demon somewhere, and even though he's half the arena away, I'll look at him, hit the glory kill button, and BAM, I'm over there now. It's AWESOME, so awesome that I don't even regret not using the amazing air mobility rune instead.

That shit also makes upwards traversal a lot faster. Oh, I need to get to a high place? I'll glory kill a demon who's already in a high place, then! From two floors down! Goddamn!

Not to mention, those upgrades turn you into Son Goku on some instant transmission shit with the Chainsaw. Summoners don't stand a chance when I can just turn to wherever they've teleported and instantly be done with them.

So reddit thought these were "cringy" but I thought I'd share anyway. I was showing my wife the new photomode and she decided to caption some of my shots.

http://imgur.com/a/9CKoY

"when you haven't nut in a week"

giphy.gif

CHC

This game is fucking brilliant on Nightmare mode. I mean, seriously, those first few missions SEEM hard, but by the halfway point of the game, DOOM has forged you into a fucking FPS champion and you'll be doing shit you never thought possible. DOOM on Nightmare is the tightest goddamn shooter I've ever played.

My runes are the mastered varients of

- Initiate glory kills from further away (like 10 meters it's INSANE)
- Glory kills are much, much faster
- Glory kills give you a speed boost

haha I think we are the same person.

I wound up with the same runes and it was amazing, I was just launching all over the place slaying left and right. And yeah Nightmare is 100% the way to go assuming you have a mouse and keyboard. I started on UV but mannnnnn Nightmare is so good. By the end I was trying each scenario like 10 - 12 times and still not getting frustrated. You just had to be so ON every fucking second. Feels amazing when that final guitar note slams down and you realize you won.

I really wish I could get Shadowplay working with this game. Every other moment is share-worthy.

haha I think we are the same person.

I wound up with the same runes and it was amazing, I was just launching all over the place slaying left and right. And yeah Nightmare is 100% the way to go assuming you have a mouse and keyboard. I started on UV but mannnnnn Nightmare is so good. By the end I was trying each scenario like 10 - 12 times and still not getting frustrated. You just had to be so ON every fucking second. Feels amazing when that final guitar note slams down and you realize you won.

I was thinking that there might be some really useful synergy between these three runes -

Glory kill distance extender
Glory kill speed-up
Armor from each glory kill

but the armor rune is the only rune I'm not going to go out of my way to master because it feels like it'd take the rest of the game to master it. So fuck it, I says, and I went with the post-glory kill speedboost rune instead.

It feels so good to get a whole crowd of enemies stunned. Glory kill all of 'em in less than five seconds, and max out your health while you're at it.

And yeah, that's the best way to describe Nightmare mode - it's the mode where you've just gotta be on point, every time. It's very hard, but it's so incredibly well balanced that even when you lose, it's like, screw it, my fault, I'm not even mad, LETS DO THIS.

Hickee

Beat the game on Hurt me plenty a few weeks back, then switched to Nightmare mode. After getting stuck where you meet the first Hell Knight for a few hours, something just clicked and after that I breezed through the rest of the game, dying only a handful of times and absolutely loved it.

Are there any mods or ways to increase the difficulty even further without going to Ultra Nightmare mode? I dont want to just have to restart a level at the beginning should I die (have 2 kittens that quite often just attack my mouse and keyboard), I just want even more carnage and craziness to rip and tear at!

What FOV should I stick to? (PC) I've been playing on 130, should I leave it on this?

Not sure if it's because of switching to Vulkan api, but when I take a screenshot using steam, they turn out completely black or half the screen is black.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Err, am I bugged? Mid game spoiler I guess. I can't activate the panel, nothing happens: https://i.imgur.com/jLDje07.png

If not what am I supposed to do to make the terminal work.

EDIT: It was indeed a bug, restarting from the last checkpoint fixed it.

I binged and beat the game. The FPS gameplay was near perfect, every weapon (minus the assault rifle) felt visceral and had a use, the music complimented the gameplay (sometimes hard to see what's going on when you're headbanging), and the game just has style. The boss fights were actually handled well, but they probably had a little too much health for my tastes. It did crash a lot on me, the sound mixing seems off (even if the actual effects and music are great), and the ending was nothing special.

I think the combat arenas worked surprisingly well, but I wouldn't mind seeing more placed enemies on the map with a sequel. I absolutely find more joy in this style of FPS, rather than all the ambushes in the previous Doom games, so I wouldn't want them to totally change it up and start putting monster closets all over, but maybe just a bit more unpredictability, since you know each time you're about to throw down.

Playing on Hurt Me Plenty was probably a mistake, as it was very easy, but it was nice to sink my teeth in a pure fun game after playing frustrating things like XCOM2 this year. :)

Beat the game on Hurt me plenty a few weeks back, then switched to Nightmare mode. After getting stuck where you meet the first Hell Knight for a few hours, something just clicked and after that I breezed through the rest of the game, dying only a handful of times and absolutely loved it.

Are there any mods or ways to increase the difficulty even further without going to Ultra Nightmare mode? I dont want to just have to restart a level at the beginning should I die (have 2 kittens that quite often just attack my mouse and keyboard), I just want even more carnage and craziness to rip and tear at!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a toggle for that?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
4 hours in and I'm enjoying, not quite the religious experience I was expecting after how much it has been hyped but it's solid. The pacing has been really good so far and you find upgrades and new weapons at a good pace which keeps you interested, although considering
I just got the BFG, I doubt there will be many, if any other weapons for me to unlock, so it'll just be MODs from here on out
. The combat feels meaty and satisfying, ripping off limbs is still fun 4 hours in and it's just a lot of fun to run around fucking shit up. The story is very much kept to a minimum which I like, in comparison to say Wolfenstein where I felt it got in the way of the carnage a bit, at least for me I'm sure some people liked the more story driven focus but I think they overdid it at times.

Technically the game runs, looks and sounds great although I have experienced 2 "unhandled exception" crashes, a bug that prevented progress so I had to restart the mission and it weirdly drops to a locked 60fps with heavy screen tearing (because I don't use VSync) in certain playable scenes so it definitely isn't perfect but on the whole it's very good and I'm sure 60fps without dips is possible on a huge variance of hardware from mid to high end, I mostly sit around 80 - 100 with everything cranked to the max with a 970.

I tried one round of multiplayer and it's OK, not good enough to put any real time into but I'll probably try out all the modes at least once after I finish the campaign, but with far better MP shooters on the market it's mostly just to get my monies worth (and to be fair I only paid £19 which I'll recoup from the campaign alone).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I got the Revenant statue (no issues with this one thankfully!), so now I'm thinking about getting a toy trumpet to turn him into a DOOT monster. I found this on eBay, but I think it might be too big - he's basically a 1/5th scale figure and this is a 1/6th scale accessory.

Whatcha guys think? Any other recommendations?

Anyone else feeling a fair bit of input lag, even on gsync monitor, but I've been playing using the Xbone controller on my tv, and it's very annoying. I have v-sync enabled because I hate screen tearing.

Edit: reading around, seems to be a common issue, and some are reporting more lag using Vulkan, so I might switch back to OpenGL.

I forgot to mention when using Vulkan, during the game start up going through the flash scenes, I'm getting this weird whistle sound coming from my PC. Switching to OpenGL and it's fine.

Darkdeus

A few more of my Doom Photomode screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/89jbs

Just finished the game on ultra violence. I thought the difficulty curve was perfect. I can't wait to play through on nightmare and explore more. I didn't find any of the secret classic levels and I missed a lot of runes.

Manu

Just finished the game on ultra violence. I thought the difficulty curve was perfect. I can't wait to play through on nightmare and explore more. I didn't find any of the secret classic levels and I missed a lot of runes.

Some killer shots in there. Great job!

This is such a beautiful game.

I just finished my second play through of the game but this time on Ultra Violence. Im too afraid of playing it on Nightmare with the fear of getting too frustrated with the game. Though i did find that my second play through, even though on Ultra Violence, to be even easier than my first time on normal. Maybe because i knew where all the level up collectables were and how to defeat the bosses.

Also there are some really great shots in that set. Great work!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Save them in glorious PNG, nice shots.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well damn, I just finished it, a lot shorter than I was expecting clocking in at only 8 hours. I enjoyed it though, I definitely would like to see them ditch multiplayer entirely next time and focus solely on the campaign so they can flesh it out a little more. I'd give it a solid 8/10, not much to complain about other than a couple of crashes and minor bugs here and there. For £19 I'm happy and I'll recommend it on Steam for sure.

PROTIP

This will 100% enhance your experience.

Go to your settings

Go to Audio

Lower SFX and Voice to 65%

Keep Music and Master at 100%

Blast your fucking volume

GET PSYCHED

CHC

Nightmare is amazingly fun, I think you'll have a great time since you're already familiar with the encounters and weapons.

Fuck Ultra Nightmare though. Full loss of progress is just stupid in games like this, not at all worth the trouble.

shmoglish

Phew, looks like the Doom Photomode is one of the better photomodes out there. Great shots.

Doom 2 is probably a go already, but I'd love to see them do Hexen/Heretic spirtual successor. I'd be satisfied if it was just a reskin with new levels. This game is amazing in every way.

Even a quake 1 lovecraft sequel would be cool with this engine.

wbEMX

Got the PC version (UAC Limited Edition) for 18 bucks a couple of days ago. One of the craziest deals I managed to get in a loooong time. So excited to play it.

CnUZg13XYAEGHHr.jpg

CHC

Nothing is overclocked, everything on ultra, downsampled from 1440p, 60fps consistently with no drops, PC temperature relatively low when it crashes (CPU hovers around 40C, GPU hovers around 50-60C).
Is there anything I could do to somehow figure out what is making the game crash?

Are your textures on Ultra or Nightmare? If they're on Nightmare turn them down a notch. They look the same, Nightmare just calls on more RAM and seems to cause crashes. I have the same card and was plagued by constant crashing until I stepped textures down.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Woah. I missed a few Challenges in a mission and decided to start it over. For some reason the game decided to erase all the progress I had done in all but 1 rune I had gotten so far. What a load of crap :(

MortosDer

Neo Member
Finished this a couple of days ago on UV. Loved every second of it. And now with the Vulkan Update my Rig can run this beauty with Ultra settings and very nice fps. Before the update I had most settings on Medium-Low to ensure 60 fps. And even then I still had some nasty frame drops. I just reached the Foundry on Nightmare (Holy crap I'm soo not ready for what is coming, died so many times on the first 2 missions, I'm scared of what that
Hellknight
will do to me now, lol) and performances has been superb. I need more DOOM in my life!

Top Bottom