• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Veilguard Announced | Full reveal on June 11th

Draugoth

Gold Member

GPZbmHnbAAA1Ip8

• First official 15 minute gameplay premiere on June 11
  • 7 unique companions with "deep and compelling storylines"
  • New title better reflects the story's group of companions; Solas (ie. Dreadwolf) still plays a big role
  • Players will take on the role of an original protagonist, similar to The Warden, Hawke, and The Inquisitor
  • You and your companions make up the Veilguard, protecting the Veil and taking down a "new evil threat unleashed upon Thedas"
  • Player agency is very important, created a story where you can impact the world and companions around you
  • Each companion intended to represent different factions in the game; have their own arcs with "stories of love and loss, each with meaningful choices and emotional moments" * Players will visit more regions of Thedas "across a deeper variety of biomes than any Dragon Age before it"
  • Tease another villain beyond Solas: "I don’t want to get too deep into spoiler territory but I can say that the Dread Wolf is not the only god players need to be worried about"
  • Combat was a "big focus" for the team, will feature an ability wheel that you can use to pause, designed to give players more direct control over their characters
  • Players can bring two companions along (similar to Mass Effect)
Summer is nearly upon us, and as promised, we’re ready to provide an update on our big reveal. We’d like to invite the world to join us on Tuesday, June 11, for the official first look at gameplay for the next Dragon Age!
After Dragon Age: Inquisition launched, the studio was given an incredible opportunity to explore, test, and validate a variety of gameplay concepts as we worked to determine what the next Dragon Age could look like. We brought everything to the table which, yes, even included a multiplayer concept. The time we spent experimenting and iterating gradually taught us a lot. This work, and the amazing support from EA, helped us re-focus on creating an incredible single player game, with all the choices, characters and world building you’d expect from us.
At BioWare, we create worlds of adventure, conflict and companionship, where you’re at the center of it all. As fans of our franchise know, every Dragon Age game has delivered a new standalone story. Set in the world of Thedas, these tales explore epic locales and threats, always thrusting you into a new conflict. Each game also introduces a new lead hero – The Warden, Hawke, The Inquisitor – that you can call your own. You can expect all that, and more, with the new game. And of course, much like your unique hero, it wouldn’t be a Dragon Age game without an amazing cast of companions – right?
Each of the seven unique characters that make up your companions will have deep and compelling storylines where the decisions you make will impact your relationships with them – as well as their lives. You’ll unite this team of unforgettable heroes as you take on a terrifying new threat unleashed on the world. Naturally, the Dread Wolf still has an important part in this tale, but you and your companions – not your enemies – are the heart of this new experience.
So, to capture what this game is all about, we changed the name as the original title didn’t show just how strongly we feel about our new heroes, their stories and how you’ll need to bring them together to save all of Thedas.
We proudly introduce to you Dragon Age™: The Veilguard.

Last edited:

Robochobo

"The Veilguard"

Whoever's job it is to make that shit secure (Solas) has been doing a terrible job. Mages and Demons been fondling each other for the longest time at this point. For anyone saying it's a bad name, it's much better than Dreadwolf which was terrible and only introduced in Inquistion. The Veil has been a central theme and issue in every Dragon Age game since Origins.

The Dreadwolf name made me interested. This sounds like a gender neutral mage. Smh.
Point proven.

Retrofluxed

As an "ex-Bioware can do no wrong" fanboy (Andromeda and Anthem killed that belief), I have no faith in this much delayed game.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It will be as competent as Elex 2 or The Tecnomancer (systems and gameplay wise) but it will look much better than those.
I am in on day one simply because I enjoyed DA:I so much, but given all the dev strife I am tempering my expectations for now (which doesn't matter since they will already have my money probably multiple times if I am honest).

Luipadre

Gold Member
Doesnt care about the name tbh. Gameplay next week, ho boy im nervous. Hope we gonna get atleast a story trailer at xbox or sgf

Dazraell

Gold Member
"The Veilguard"

For anyone saying it's a bad name, it's much better than Dreadwolf which was terrible and only introduced in Inquistion. The Veil has been a central theme and issue in every Dragon Age game since Origins.
The name was also introduced in DA Origins just like concept of Veil. Fen'Harel statue (which even looked like wolf) and a codex entry about him as Dread Wolf appears literally during the beginning of Origins if you picked one of the elf origins

flying_sq

What are the odds this isn't Dreadwolf and this is going to be a hero shooter but with mages and stuff, then it fails fantastically and EA officially kills Bioware.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Damn. You dudes are miserable. They showed a title and logo and you’re already shitting on the game. At least wait for some gameplay before you start.
Welcome to Neogaf. It sucks here sometimes lol

Robochobo

The name was also introduced in DA Origins just like concept of Veil. Fen'Harel statue (which even looked like wolf) and a codex entry about him as Dread Wolf appears literally during the beginning of Origins if you picked one of the elf origins
I'm assuming it was Dalish origin? Never tried that one. I stand corrected on the name usage then. Still makes more sense having the Veil be the main point of contention in the game, since it's the cause of 99% of the issues in the series.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I'm assuming it was Dalish origin? Never tried that one. I stand corrected on the name usage then. Still makes more sense having the Veil be the main point of contention in the game, since it's the cause of 99% of the issues in the series.
Yep. I don't think it's a Veil per say but it's most likely a name of the organization that you will be a part of like Inquisition was. But regardless, I didn't liked both titles and feel Dreadwolf was better

Khyle

Neo Member
What are the odds this isn't Dreadwolf and this is going to be a hero shooter but with mages and stuff, then it fails fantastically and EA officially kills Bioware.
None. It's the same game but its name has changed. And it's ultimately a single player game, though they admit they did contemplate the possibility of a multiplayer component.

The last part of what you said can still be true though, lol.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

The next Dragon Age is set to get its first big gameplay reveal on June 11, and when it does, it will be with a new name. IGN can exclusively reveal that the latest entry in the Dragon Age franchise, previously known as Dragon Age Dreadwolf, is being renamed Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

The news comes with a host of details that shed new light on BioWare’s anticipated RPG, which up until this point has been kept heavily under wraps. Among other things, BioWare confirmed that The Veilguard will feature seven playable party members, and that it will feature “fun and fluid, moment-to-moment combat” while continuing to center strategy via the unique powers of each companion.

But it’s the name change that will do the most to raise eyebrows among the fandom. Ever since the conclusion of Dragon Age: Inquisition’s Trespasser DLC, fans have expected a story focused on Solas, the former companion who was revealed to be the Elven god Fen’Harel, also known as the Dread Wolf. BioWare general manager Gary McKay explains that while Solas is “still very much a part of the story of Dragon Age: The Veilguard,” the team wanted a title that reflected a “really deep and compelling group of companions.”

Dragon Age's new name will seek to center its party members rather than Solas, one of the story's villains.
“One thing that’s important to remind fans is that every Dragon Age game is a new and different experience and this game, more so than ever, is about you and your companions – a group that you must rally to fight by your side,” McKay tells IGN. “We can’t wait for players to meet, connect and form their own personal relationships with the unique companions that make up The Veilguard. That’s the spirit of this game…of this story. Choosing who will join you on your adventure, fight alongside you, and be there by your side in the end.”

In a separate blog post, McKay elaborated, “Each of the seven unique characters that make up your companions will have deep and compelling storylines where the decisions you make will impact your relationships with them – as well as their lives. You’ll unite this team of unforgettable heroes as you take on a terrifying new threat unleashed on the world. Naturally, the Dread Wolf still has an important part in this tale, but you and your companions – not your enemies – are the heart of this new experience.”

McKay claims that the name change wasn’t a matter of focus testing, which commonly informs decisions like these. He even goes so far as to admit that sticking with Dreadwolf might have been easier.

“We actually think sticking with Dreadolf would have been the safer choice – ‘Dread Wolf’ is a cool name after all!” McKay says. “In the end, it was most important for us to have a title that was authentic to the companions that are the heart of this adventure we’ve created. We’ve worked throughout development to create really incredible backstories for each companion that intersect with the main narrative in meaningful ways.”

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Yeah, I am now fired up to guard that veil.

Who makes these decisions? Dreadwolf at least sounded cool. Obv it won't matter if the game delivers, but just why.

This tells me Solas is gonna be just a minor villain in this. Possibly a Loki to the party. Expected as it took them 10 godamn years to continue the story from Inquisition.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I guess they changed the name focus more on the Fade than on the Dreadwolf. There's probably a good reason for that and it excites me a bit more because I would love to see more of the Fade.

So for that reason too I think the name change is appropriate and still sounds good.

tmlDan

Damn. You dudes are miserable. They showed a title and logo and you’re already shitting on the game. At least wait for some gameplay before you start.
They'll shit on it even if it looks good, too many people are chronically online and feed off negative energy that places like twitter bring.

I don't like the new title but it has no barring on how good the game might be, people hate on inquisition and i liked it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom