• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

PS4 video - all the way upto 1080p, even though the stream was 720p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZoBiIMNNLs

The PS4 and NX versions look absolutely beautiful, super unfinished with lots of work to be done yet (theres clearly not a battle system yet in place for example), but still beautiful.

But its the 3ds version the one that looks super cute and interesting. And it seems to be going along fast and nice.

A funny detail. The circle walled city with the market place below, of PS4/NX video reminded me to the Oxenfurt I read on the Witcher books more, than the Oxenfurt it appears in the final Witcher 3 game.

Sadist

Please enlighten me.

How is this big for the NX ?

It's on PS4 too ...
Dragon Quest on your system is a huge deal in Japan.

Also this is the first official game annoucement for the system. Even Nintendo hasn't announced anything yet for the platform in terms of games.

wrowa

The PS4 version feels a bit weird to me. The areas are looking great, but it's a bit unusual these days to see environments being so clearly limited by huge cliffs and walls. I wonder if that's just because the game's still early or if the world will limited like this throughout the game. Just looks a bit weird and makes me feel slightly claustrophobic when watching the video.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Both versions look good. Really.
The PS4 one was oviously an early build (I'd say earlier) but the UE4 way of rendering the cartoonish style was pretty good. The 3Ds one looked very solid for the console, and I really liked the 3D/2D rendering for both overworld and battle screen. Plus, I love touch-based menu for RPGs.

Curious about NX version too..

Lol, what exactly does it imply? That the NX will indeed be a games console with games (some even third party!)? You guys are so weird.

Really surprised by the news. PS4 version looked early, but good. 3DS version was awesome. Loved the 2D/3D combo.

While it really doesn't say much, it DOES at least say that Wii U will be similar to PS4. Granted, SE could be designing a down-port for the NX, but that doesn't seem to be super likely. Unless DXI on NX will be a more mobile-focused game or something to tie into the idea that the NX will incorporate aspects of mobile gaming into itself.

AmyS

[Eurogamer] Dragon Quest 11 coming to 3DS, PlayStation 4 - and the NX
Dragon Quest 11 has been officially revealed by Square Enix, and it's coming to the PlayStation 4, the 3DS and Nintendo's forthcoming NX - becoming the first game confirmed for the new platform in the process.
Dragon Quest 11 on PlayStation 4 has a similar style to Dragon Quest 8, and following a couple of MMO-flavoured excursions for the series looks like a more traditional open world RPG. It's being developed by Square Enix with the assistance of Orca, and is using the Unreal Engine 4.

Dragon Quest 11 on 3DS, meanwhile, offers a split view across the handheld's two screens that allows for both a 2D sprite style as well as a top-down 3D game, with players able to choose between old-school 2D battles or 3D battles by playing with either the d-pad or circle pad. Toy Logic, who previously helped revive Kid Icarus alongside Sora, is helping bring the 3DS Dragon Quest 11 to life.
Dragon Quest 11 also has the honour of being the first game confirmed for Nintendo's NX, its new hardware that's set to be fully revealed next year. Dragon Quest 10, the MMO that came out for both Wii and Wii U, was also confirmed to be coming to the NX, and it'll be celebrating its third anniversary by coming to the PS4 too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...is-coming-to-3ds-and-playstation-4-and-the-nx

AnGer

I'm kind of surprised by this. I was expecting a 3DS game in spite of SE saying DQ will be back on the big screen after both installments previously exclusive to Sony hardware (notwithstanding spin-offs like The Adventures of Young Yangus) came over to the 3DS.

That being said, I am glad that SE's keeping the franchise alive on Nintendo handhelds (which will be my preferred version - if it makes its way to Europe) and bringing DQ to the big screen as well. And yeah... I think this makes everybody who likes jRPG happy too.

Aeana

The PS4 version feels a bit weird to me. The areas are looking great, but it's a bit unusual these days to see environments being so clearly limited by huge cliffs and walls. I wonder if that's just because the game's still early or if the world will limited like this throughout the game. Just looks a bit weird and makes me feel slightly claustrophobic when watching the video.

I'll take it. I'm a bit tired of gigantic open environments that take a long time to traverse.

Whatever happened to their Luminous engine they were building with FFXV? A massive waste of time and money, huh?

From what I understand based on hearsay, they really only have a select team of programmers that can work the engine, and said team is completely tied up with FFXV atm. If we waited for them and the luminous engine, it'll be years before we see KH3 and DQXI.

SE is especially keen to push more games out Ina shorter time frame, so it makes sense to switch to Unreal development, which is supposedly quicker to push through. Understandly for DQ, it is also because they want to meet the anniversary date next year.

Bishop89

Just announced during their official live stream!

Update - Dragon Quest X and XI announced for the NX.
Megaton?

• Two different games with the same story similar to Ni no Kuni.

\

• oh thank fuck.

I saw the thread title and im like "3DS is gonna hold back the ps4", but this is great news that its 2 different games

GamerJM

Banned
While it really doesn't say much, it DOES at least say that Wii U will be similar to PS4. Granted, SE could be designing a down-port for the NX, but that doesn't seem to be super likely. Unless DXI on NX will be a more mobile-focused game or something to tie into the idea that the NX will incorporate aspects of mobile gaming into itself.

Uh, the Wii U isn't that similar to the PS4 at all. Also we already knew that.

It's still being used for FFXV.

Presumably, like with XIII, they didn't really make a reuseable engine and it'll only ever be used on XV and XV sequels and spin-offs.
Yes but KH3 began development in the Luminous and got ported to UE4 a year or so into development so at least at one point it wasn't made with only XV in mind.

WillyFive

Reminds me of the days of The Force Unleashed and Sonic Unleashed, when two different games were made for different systems but told the same story. I like that kind of stuff because it allows to see two different takes on the same project.

Bishop89

2 things.

1. 3DS having 3d and top/down sprites at the same time is AMAZING
2. Ps4 version looks fucking fantastic!

Cant wait

Interesting that they threw the NX announcement in there.

Personally, I am not sure why Nintendo would do another hardware platform. I feel going the way of greating a platform for games, ala Steam, but with Nintendo's own stuff, which they could run across multiple platforms, would make more sense. I mean, I don't think putting something out only at the level of PS4/Xbone in a year or two is the best way to go, but interested to see what they come up with anyway. Even at PS4-level, a Zelda game would look incredible.

Asd202

Yes but KH3 began development in the Luminous and got ported to UE4 a year or so into development so at least at one point it wasn't made with only XV in mind.

Of course not you don't make an engine just for one game. It was supposed to be used on SE games to speed up (lol) development.

pastrami

No it doesn't. You know there's a 3DS version of DQXI, right? And a 3DS version of DQX?

Not sure why you think DQXI on the NX, if it's a handheld, must be some sort of mobile game.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Ni no Kuni was a DS game, and then it got remade for PS3. Same story, but PS3 has an extended scenario.

I hope there is no exclusive story/game content in either version.

Consider it confirmed. SE really can't say many things about NX until Nintendo do.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know anything.

"We want DQ11 on the NX! Start developing!"
"Cool...so what is the NX going to be like?"
"Umm.. Make a PS4 and 3ds version, that should cover it"

Seems like a square approach.

Heartfyre

Looking at that waterfall in the PS4 version seriously reminded me of Powerscourt Waterfall in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland.

i6sh1FC.jpg

CNeudL3.jpg

Coincidence, I'm sure. But even the tree placement is similar.

Top Bottom