• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

PS3 was the presumed market leader before the generation started, and was the primary focus of Japanese developers leading into the generation. .

Who cares if it was presumed to be leader? That means shit, publishers don't get serious until a year or so into a generation when they can see what way the wind is blowing.
That's why at the start of every gen you get the console maker of X console showing a dumbass slide with 25 publishers who are "backing" the system, but you'll never see the light of a few months down the line.

Hugstable

Banned
The crazy part about Dragon Quest XI is that it's basically three games in one, all with the same characters and story. This game will be compatible with almost any platform SE wants to port it to (there will definitely be an iOS port by the end of 2017).

I'm gonna love playing through this all 3 times. I feel like I'm either going to experience it as PS4 or as 16 bit style first. I wonder of you can get it to only display one pr the other screen so I can play 16 bit and not have to see the regular game to dsitract me

Josh7289

I guess this is what you mean? Last sentence in the third paragraph: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2015/html/8e4134b8203fc226980d056951e0aac0.html

"Furthermore, it is under consideration to also release on Nintendo's currently-in-development 'NX'."

So they went from 予定 in the presentation to 検討 in the press release. That's definitely a downgrade in conviction from the presentation to the press release.

FStubbs

Who cares if it was presumed to be leader? That means shit, publishers don't get serious until a year or so into a generation when they can see what way the wind is blowing.
That's why at the start of every gen you get the console maker of X console showing a dumbass slide with 25 publishers who are "backing" the system, but you'll never see the light of a few months down the line.

Usually they all back Sony.

Because it takes a lot more than "a year or so" to get accustomed to a new platform. If everybody waited "a year or so" to determine how a platform would do no platform would be worth owning until after the third year. And the launch of a new platform is the best time to establish a presence on that platform, so you want to start development on new projects well before then.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Were those enemies on screen in the PS4 version? And if so, will the game be like Chrono Trigger where you have to make contact with an enemy in order to start the battle? Also, is the battle system turn based or hack and slash based? Thanks.

xaszatm

Banned
So, since the game is coming out on 3DS and PS4 and has been compared to Ni No Kuni, do we have the sales of both the DS and PS3 versions of that game? While the market has obviously changed since then, it'd be interesting to see how the split was for that game in Japan and see how the market will change for DQXI.

DNAbro

Were those enemies on screen in the PS4 version? And if so, will the game be like Chrono Trigger where you have to make contact with an enemy in order to start the battle? Also, is the battle system turn based or hack and slash based? Thanks.

it's turn based.

Is it honestly anal to want to talk about Dragon Quest instead of general ps4 rpgs in a topic about Dragon Quest? You would think all this platform nonsense would have ended after the annoucement and we could finally discuss the game and what we'd like to see in the game and iust general Dragon Quest stuff. It feels like there is no place to really discuss DQ here as the community topic is pretty dead and anyone wanting to talk about the game in here gets drowned out in a sea of PS4. It's obviously controlling the discussion here, whats so bad about making a topic about the list and how excited you guys are for it since it seems to be a huge point pf discussion in here? Probably gonna have to go back to mostly ignoring DQ topics or something i guess if this is how it's gonna be
it is the nature of consoles, I think you would fare better if you just ignore it and talk about what you want to talk about. and really, there isn't a whole ton to go on with the new footage yet.

Do we know if pets/monsters are coming back?

Rpgmonkey

So they went from 予定 in the presentation to 検討 in the press release. That's definitely a backpedal.

Well plans can change too, but yeah haha.

Personally I think it'll happen unless it's clear that the NX will be a huge bomb or they run into some other kind of obstacle that's not worth the hassle, since they're transitioning Dragon Quest into becoming a series that has games available on any platform that's fairly viable for the series, but we'll see.

Enemies were onscreen in the PS4 version. It's likely similar to the 3DS (3D) version and they're enemy symbols, so touching them starts the battle. I think it's unknown if you'll go to a separate battlefield like the 3DS version or it'll be something more seamless and elaborate, probably the former?

And it's turn based.

Hugstable

Banned
Do we know if pets/monsters are coming back?

I hope so! Thought it was neat in VIII how you could have a tean that comes in for a few turns. I want to see then expand on that sometime like with V and have them be able to level up and learn new skills as well. I thought the Monster Arena in VIII was an amazing take on the old monster arena betting stuff from earlier games.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Enemies were onscreen in the PS4 version. It's likely similar to the 3DS (3D) version and they're enemy symbols, so touching them starts the battle. I think it's unknown if you'll go to a separate battlefield like the 3DS version or it'll be something more seamless and elaborate, probably the former?

And it's turn based.

Nice. Very Nice. Thanks guys. :)

stryke

So, since the game is coming out on 3DS and PS4 and has been compared to Ni No Kuni, do we have the sales of both the DS and PS3 versions of that game? While the market has obviously changed since then, it'd be interesting to see how the split was for that game in Japan and see how the market will change for DQXI.

Japan I think for retail it's ~90k for PS3, NDS was ~500k.

Worldwide the franchise was 1.4 million in Sep 2013, with PS3 reaching 1 million units in March 2014 (NDS never left Japan).

Vena

So they went from 予定 in the presentation to 検討 in the press release. That's definitely a downgrade in conviction from the presentation to the press release.

Can't make an official announcement on an unofficial piece of hardware, lol.

I hope so! Thought it was neat in VIII how you could have a tean that comes in for a few turns. I want to see then expand on that sometime like with V and have them be able to level up and learn new skills as well. I thought the Monster Arena in VIII was an amazing take on the old monster arena betting stuff from earlier games.
yeah i can't remember, did your monsters fight with you? Or did you just enter them into a contest and rank up?

I wouldn't mind something like Ninokuni and that pokemon vibe either. The standard game wasn't all that challenging but the end-game arena battles was very tough. I never beat the final group of monsters there. Something charming about training pet monsters, makes me smile

Super excited.

PS4 version is open(-ish?) world. Similar to DQVIII
DQVIII was no different from any other Japanese RPG or mainline DQ title when it came to the world and exploration. Is that considered open world? Why the need to bring that up at all? Kinda curious.

DNAbro

Source? They didn't show the battles in the PS4 version

i don't need a source to tell you that this is turn based. IX wasn't turn based at first and the fan outcry was bad they redeveloped the game to be turn based. 3DS is turn based, PS4 will be turn based

Dark_castle

You know what would be cool. PS4 version of DQXI to have seamless, turn-based battles like Chrono Trigger. No transition screen, no random encounters and quicker battle pacing.

You know what would be cool. PS4 version of DQXI to have seamless, turn-based battles like Chrono Trigger. No transition screen, no random encounters and quicker battle pacing.

That would be totally dope.

Anyway, any estimation regarding western release?
A year after Japanese version?

Jay RaR

Extremely excited for this!

3DS and NX versions came as a shock. PS4 and no Vita or PS3 versions also surprised me as well. Too bad there's no PC version.

Graphics look amazing on PS4, and the retro graphics for the 3DS version's second screen was pretty clever.

I hope we see this game at Gamescom lol.

Clunker

So you guys think we'll get both PS4 and 3DS versions in the west?
No idea.

A common observation so far (one I agree with) is that they wouldn't have bothered with a PS4 version unless they specifically were planning on bringing it outside of Japan, so I think at least that one seems safe. It's the 3DS version we're all worried about. :/

Instro

Localization for 3DS in 2017 for is another story though. Partly why I'm hoping the NX version is the 3DS version.

Of course, but in this case the translation would largely already be done, if not totally complete. The game could be a small retail release and/or digital.

KingBroly

Banned
God damn how amazing would it be to finally just get a tidal wave of Dragon Quest both home console and handheld in the west. Please Square Enix, do both!!!!

It'd be nice, but I'm skeptical.

Like I said before, for 3DS, we're getting them all in the West or none of them. There's no reason to only do 1 or 2 of the 3. I could understand the spin-offs not coming, but those are the main ones people want and expect.

I think Star Ocean 5 is the new 3D standard for quick transitions into battle from the field

https://youtu.be/wgc2OSZL8e4?t=166

It looks so smooth. Obviously SO has realtime combat, but I don't see why they couldn't do a menu driven system with a similar transition.

NoKisum

I could be paranoid, but I just thought about something really, really horrible. I remember there was a rumor circulating at one point (unsure if it was proven true or not) that Nintendo had to choose whether to assist in localizing Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII 3DS. If said chose did take place, then BD was obviously the pick there, with DQ7 being forever left behind.

But it got me thinking... What if we have to choose again? As to whether we only get the PS4, 3DS, or NX version to come to the west? What if only one was chosen to minimize the localization costs as much as possible?

Hugstable

Banned
But it got me thinking... What if we have to choose again? As to whether we only get the PS4, 3DS, or NX version to come to the west? What if only one was chosen to minimize the localization costs as much as possible?

Honestly alot of this really comes down to how big the differences in the games story and scripts really are. If they are completely similar and both versions are the same game going to the same places just with completely different styles, then we will probably end up with the same stories maybe, and localization of all of them may not be so bad. It really all comes down to how different they are.

ika

NX support by Square-Enix already, almost a year before we will even know what it actually will be...
GODDAMN!

That's a pretty good start for the NX. And S-E not less! It's crazy, At E3 when they announce FFVII remake "first for PS4" but didn't specify other platforms I had the suspicion Iwata was trying to make a deal to get a port for the NX. Now that crazy dream seems a bit (not much) closer to become a reality. Now THAT would be truly crazy. :p

Eolz

I could be paranoid, but I just thought about something really, really horrible. I remember there was a rumor circulating at one point (unsure if it was proven true or not) that Nintendo had to choose whether to assist in localizing Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII 3DS. If said chose did take place, then BD was obviously the pick there, with DQ7 being forever left behind.

I really doubt it. This time it's on several different platforms.
There will ptobably be a deal for who gets to release a version in the west first though (won't change much to the fact that most sales will be made in japan).

Even mentioning the NX was a mistake. But who cares, for now we should focus on the real version, the PS4 version.

How was it a mistake? Because people are talking about it? It was surely the plan...

Top Bottom