• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Hypereides

Gold Member
This is just speculation, but, depending on whether or not the NX version comes to fruitation, I doubt that'll be exactly, on par with the PS4 version. If the rumors of the NX not competeting on high spec level, are true.

This is just speculation, but, depending on whether or not the NX version comes to fruitation, I doubt that'll be exactly, on par with the PS4 version. If the rumors of the NX not competeting on high spec level, are true.

There are so many different rumors flying around about NX that it's best to not take stock in any of them. It could be weak, it could be powerful, it could be a handheld, it could be a console, it could be multiple devices, it could be an AR-focused system, it could be a traditional console.....we literally have no idea at this point.

Philippo

Maybe the NX version is the 3DS one, and it's another handheld console (or at best a hybrid) with low-specs?

Look at it this way, SQEX may carter to many fans with the 3DS/PS4/NX decision, but in the end, they still want money. That is also the reason why a 3DS version exists, as the bulk of sales for DQ will always be in Japan. And these sales are pretty much buffing the budget for the PS4 version. I mean, they are effectively developing this game 2.5 times (UE4 HD/3D/2D), and that has a price.

NX after launch, be it successful or not, will still have a small userbase, compared to the other two platforms. And even if every single NX buyer gets DQXI, i doubt that there will be a massive income from that.
So, the only way i see SQEX doing the NX port is when it is pretty easy to port without any huge downscaling/porting from assets.
If the NX version really a port of the PS4 version, we could be talking about a home console with comparable power to PS4, it may not be stronger, it might be weaker, but it has to be in a certain comparable range.

But really, NX could be a family of hardware, it might be a handheld that gets a buffed up 3DS version, who knows. ^^
Gonna be interesting!

At the moment i just want a confirmation for both PS4 and 3DS in the west, i want to double dip! Come on GamesCom!

beril

Maybe the NX version is the 3DS one, and it's another handheld console (or at best a hybrid) with low-specs?

It won't be the 3DS game, regardless of the hardware specs.

The 3DS installbase is big enough to support the game on it's own; PS4 is not. Also the overlap between NX users and 3DS users will presumably be bigger than PS4 and NX, so it gives more people the option to get both games, instead of just a slightly upgraded 3DS port.

Also the PS4 game will almost certainly be way more scalable than the 3DS game which seems very tailored for the 3DS hardware, from the graphics to the dual screen usage and pixel art resolution. UE4 comes with full source code so they can port it to any platform even if there's no official support.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's a pretty good start for the NX. And S-E not less! It's crazy, At E3 when they announce FFVII remake "first for PS4" but didn't specify other platforms I had the suspicion Iwata was trying to make a deal to get a port for the NX. Now that crazy dream seems a bit (not much) closer to become a reality. Now THAT would be truly crazy. :p

Hey yeah, doesnt SE usually come out and say its also for xbox1 after sony press conferences? They didnt do it for Kh3 nor FF15 and FF15 originally wasent even going to be for neither 360 or XB1. I dont think they ever said "oh yeah also for xb1 but later" hell infact theres no real reason why it has to come out on playstation first instead of just simultaneously multiplatform. The more I think about it, the more suspicious that announcement was.

Socordia

Banned
Look at it this way, SQEX may carter to many fans with the 3DS/PS4/NX decision, but in the end, they still want money. That is also the reason why a 3DS version exists, as the bulk of sales for DQ will always be in Japan. And these sales are pretty much buffing the budget for the PS4 version. I mean, they are effectively developing this game 2.5 times (UE4 HD/3D/2D), and that has a price.

NX after launch, be it successful or not, will still have a small userbase, compared to the other two platforms. And even if every single NX buyer gets DQXI, i doubt that there will be a massive income from that.
So, the only way i see SQEX doing the NX port is when it is pretty easy to port without any huge downscaling/porting from assets.
If the NX version really a port of the PS4 version, we could be talking about a home console with comparable power to PS4, it may not be stronger, it might be weaker, but it has to be in a certain comparable range.

But really, NX could be a family of hardware, it might be a handheld that gets a buffed up 3DS version, who knows. ^^
Gonna be interesting!

At the moment i just want a confirmation for both PS4 and 3DS in the west, i want to double dip! Come on GamesCom!

Or current japanese market is so bad and Square-Enix is in panic mode that they have no choice but suppport nx with everything too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

That makes lesser sense than putting the ps4 version on the NX. Especially if NX has got backward compatibility.

Hey yeah, doesnt SE usually come out and say its also for xbox1 after sony press conferences? They didnt do it for Kh3 nor FF15 and FF15 originally wasent even going to be for neither 360 or XB1. I dont think they ever said "oh yeah also for xb1 but later" hell infact theres no real reason why it has to come out on playstation first instead of just simultaneously multiplatform. The more I think about it, the more suspicious that announcement was.

There's nothing suspicious about the "first on PS4" announcement, as it means literally just that. It's coming to PS4, no question. Will it come to other consoles? Unknown. Will it come to PC? Unknown.

If I had to guess, they didn't want to say "exclusive to PS4" because they haven't signed any kind of deal like that and are just being honest that it might go somewhere else later. PC is the most likely candidate, especially if rumors of UE4 being used are true. NX is a big ? because we still don't even know what the hell it is.

I'd wager it never shows its face on XBO though.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt. I like how the PS4 version looks but I openly gasped for joy when I saw the 3DS one.

I'm still amazed that they've managed to cover so many grounds with two versions XD.

If Sony localises the game into Chinese that will also appeal to my kid self since my first exposure to DQ was reading Dai No Daibouken in Chinese and shouting out spell names in Chinese with my friends during recess.

Philippo

Man i have the DQVIII ost playing in my head no stop since yesterday, and i have a crazy desire to play the saga.

Never i expected to want a DQ so much until i saw that beautiful PS4 footage.

Is the PS1 version of DQVII any good?

Suzzopher

Man i have the DQVIII ost playing in my head no stop since yesterday, and i have a crazy desire to play the saga.

It's great, looked a little rough when it launched originally but looks charming now.

Unless they translate the 3DS version is the only way to play it.

kiyoaki

If you can stand the ugly graphics and are prepared to invest some time into this slightly overlong game... go for it. Great RPG with a beautiful soundtrack. The main plot is nothing special, but some of the vignettes told are very memorable. It also has the best dungeon in the series.

Busaiku

Yeah. Nintendo has really taken to annoucing games within 6 months of their launch date so I can imagine them taking the same approach for their hardware.
DS and Wii were both revealed and launched in the same year.
PS4 and XB1 as well.
3DS was announced and launched in less than a year too.

A situation like Wii U is the least common.

stryke

bCHpciH.png

tbd

Why? Isn't the 3DS game just for Japanese weirdos who hate consoles for no reason?

Can't imagine a non-japanese person going for the lesser version.

I found the 3DS version more charismatic, the classic 2D DQ map and nostalgia help. PS4/NX version looks unfinished (duh) and generic to me, also too much like KH3.

The NX version will almost certainly come out later if DQXI is a 2016 game, given that it's incredibly unlikely Nintendo both announces and releases the NX in 2016.

It's pretty likely, actually. They did it with DS in 2004.

Before anyone says "well, they've never done this with a console before"....neither had Sony before 2013.

DS and Wii were both revealed and launched in the same year.
PS4 and XB1 as well.
3DS was announced and launched in less than a year too.

A situation like Wii U is the least common.

No. Wii was unveiled at E3 2005 (called Revolution at the time), then the controller was revealed before TGS that same year.

If Horii wasn't lying about DQVII and VIII (3DS) coming west, then both versions will be. If he was mistaken, then it'll probably only be PS4. And I'll never forgive SE, as I want both games.

Yes, I want those too. I mean, aren't the mobile version already localized ? Just release it digitally ffs.

It took them no time at all to announce the localisation of Dragon Quest Heroes, but a traditional JRPG with a decent budget behind it and they're not sure? Nah, I don't buy it. They've every intention of bringing this game over, they just can't say anything yet. Perfect for a PSX showing if you ask me.

Tanston

People honestly think the PS4 version won't be localised lmao

Honestly I still remember how disappointed I was when dragon quest 5 and 6 didn't get localized originally way back in the day. Since then I have always had a fear that we won't get the games. The fact that 10 didn't get localized doesn't help. Logically I have a pretty good idea that the PS4 version will be localized but my gut instinct with DQ and localization is to not count my chickens.

Top Bottom