• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for 3DS show up on Amazon [Update: Confirmed]

zhixson

Meh, sprites + simple 3D has its charm too.

I just started DQIV on the DS and I would heartily agree. I really miss that aspect of the PS1 era sometimes. It's just so damned charming, especially when the developer decides to really run with it.

Of course, when it's done poorly it looks extra terrible.

So, do the folks looking for reasons not to get DQ 8 3DS finally understand the many positives of the 3DS version which have been posted and re-posted a dozen times or are you all hellbent on continuing to be on the side which apparently wants to give SE and NOA reasons not to continue supporting the series here?

So, do the folks looking for reasons not to get DQ 8 3DS finally understand the many positives of the 3DS version which have been posted and re-posted a dozen times or are you all hellbent on continuing to be on the side which apparently wants to give SE and NOA reasons not to continue supporting the series here?

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pumped for VIII 3DS now. The scaled back graphics and assets + no 3D is a real shame, but given all the other stuff they added, I think the game will still be an amazing, must-have experience for a DQ fan.

For what it's worth, I really think SE and Nintendo should have communicated way more clearly as to what the fuck was going on with this version to Western fans. Whether it was gonna be via the recent Direct or some other Western-gaming outlet. I know it's not near release yet, but the fans for this game are dedicated and scouring for any info. There was all this negative buzz about it missing a tentpole feature of a 3DS game and looking visually poor. Not to mention the fanbase reeling off the loathed mobile entry. Take the time to reiterate clearly, and explicitly all the new great features you're adding that seem to make this port special.

Eolz

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pumped for VIII 3DS now. The scaled back graphics and assets + no 3D is a real shame, but given all the other stuff they added, I think the game will still be an amazing, must-have experience for a DQ fan.

For what it's worth, I really think SE and Nintendo should have communicated way more clearly as to what the fuck was going on with this version to Western fans. Whether it was gonna be via the recent Direct or some other Western-gaming outlet. I know it's not near release yet, but the fans for this game are dedicated and scouring for any info. There was all this negative buzz about it missing a tentpole feature of a 3DS game and looking visually poor. Not to mention the fanbase reeling off the loathed mobile entry. Take the time to reiterate clearly, and explicitly all the new great features you're adding that seem to make this port special.

Usually, when you just show the title of a game in your presentation, the deal has been made recently and you're not ready to talk about anything special.
Nintendo will do that later as usual, and if it's like the DS ones in the west, S-E won't actually say/promote much.

^^^^

Glad to hear. And yes, release wise at least you have a communication problem when it takes Yuji Horii apparently going rogue at a fan Q&A in France back in July to make noise that the games were coming m. In any case I'm sure NOA will communicate the added features later, we just need a solid ad campaign. The Seth Green DQ 9 commercials were odd but apparently they helped because that game sold very well in Western territories (as did the rest of the Dragon Quest DS games relatively, which makes it all the more stubborn of SE to hold out so long).

None of the Square Enix 3DS games I own that they have released since beginning of 2014 have 3D support. I imagine Pokemon X/Y, arguably Nintendo's biggest release on the system, coming out with barely any 3D + the 2DS's existence made them stop caring.

None of the Square Enix 3DS games I own that they have released since beginning of 2014 have 3D support. I imagine Pokemon X/Y, arguably Nintendo's biggest release on the system, coming out with barely any 3D + the 2DS's existence made them stop caring.

I can't think of a "major" feature of a system I've ever used less than the 3D on 3DS.

Forgive me if this video has already been linked, but it shows that battles in the JP version of DQVIII 3DS take at least twice as long to load when compared to the PS2 version.

It takes a while to get into battle, longer than the PS2 version, but you get to input commands faster due to the PS2 version showing off. Plus each battle goes way, way faster.

5 seconds is a bit long especially since its just a dumb black screen but I checked it against my older DQ games and most of them take a few seconds to get into battle, even on like NES. 5 seconds is about the same amount of time to go from random encounter start to input commands in my famicom DQ4 at least.

I think Pokemon is a special case cause of its partially younger fanbase that might be below the recommended age for 3D, and their likelihood of owning a 2DS.

Maybe it seems like 3D isn't focused on anymore cause of the release rate of games for the console relatively slowing down compared to before. When I look at the library (at least in my collection) all the games support 3D.

randomkid

The only tech issues for DQ8 3DS I remember hearing about outside of graphical ones were the ones regarding loading times. There's some discussion of it on the last page of the OT here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=177300917#post177300917

I don't know if it's an issue that affects menus too or if it's just battles. People seem to be saying that the battles are still faster overall because of the battle speed options so the black screen/music-syncing issue is something you just get used to.

Edit: whooops, totally beaten

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Some of the changes so really nice but the death of random battles still hurts. I don't buy the whole "3ds games look bad in screenshots" thing if only cause 3DS games in my experience don't look all that special in general. Besides unlike VII I own an have played VIII, and prefer playing rpgs on consoles as opposed to handhelds. So I'ma naturally be much harder to win over.

edit: I would be curious ta know why people who already have VIII wanna get this new version. Prefer handhelds? The upgrades and new stuff seem worthwhile enough?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Besides unlike VII I own an have played VIII, and prefer playing rpgs on consoles as opposed to handhelds. So I'ma naturally be much harder to win over.

Same boat here. No matter how many improvements the game has, I'd much rather play on a TV than a portable, and I already own the PS2 version, so it's an uphill battle by default. If it were an HD version I'd probably be willing to "upgrade" but the sacrifice of having it be on a portable makes the "improvements" (not sure I'd call removal of random battles an improvement, for example) a wash.

In the case of DQ7 I don't really have much choice but to accept the portable version, since it's not on PSN.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Serious question (no idea about this), but how well did the Joker games in the west?

Pretty terrible, but honestly a lot of DS games had their sales hurt by the extreme ease of DS piracy, so I don't think those numbers are fair.

Not to mention from my experience JRPG fans tend to be a bit more of the tech savvy side, most would be aware flash carts exist.

The GB ones did really good back in the day though.

Eolz

Pretty terrible, but honestly a lot of DS games had their sales hurt by the extreme ease of DS piracy, so I don't think those numbers are fair.

Not to mention from my experience JRPG fans tend to be a bit more of the tech savvy side, most would be aware flash carts exist.

The GB ones did really good back in the day though.

Good point for first paragraph. From what I remember most people were pirating at the time 2 was released and it already began with 1.
Never played any in the series.

I don't have exact numbers, but really, really bad.

I don't think it even paid for the TV commercial.

Ouch.
I remember seeing the commercials, but never seen the games in any store.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Good point for first paragraph. From what I remember most people were pirating at the time 2 was released and it already began with 1.
Never played any in the series.

Ouch.
I remember seeing the commercials, but never seen the games in any store.

Honestly, I think SE's hesitation were from looking at DS game sales.

8 did fairly well on PS2 and it wasn't even really advertised minus including an FF demo with it.

Some of the changes so really nice but the death of random battles still hurts. I don't buy the whole "3ds games look bad in screenshots" thing if only cause 3DS games in my experience don't look all that special in general.

Unless it's something mostly superficial like wanting to maintain detail/draw distance with the visuals, why are you disappointed they took out random battles? Seems to me that'd be a nice change of pace? Some of the best JRPGs have avoidable battles (CT and EB).

Besides unlike VII I own an have played VIII, and prefer playing rpgs on consoles as opposed to handhelds. So I'ma naturally be much harder to win over.

edit: I would be curious ta know why people who already have VIII wanna get this new version. Prefer handhelds? The upgrades and new stuff seem worthwhile enough?

I'm still a newcomer, I'm still currently playing through DQ V which is my first Dragon Quest game and absolutely love it so naturally it has left me hungering for more. I can't exactly speak for those folks but I assume "all of the above"? The features and content in this version sound pretty significant and probably would cause me to double dip had I played it in the past. I double dip a lot on second versions of various games provided the content/enhancements are there. And yes, portability is a huge plus by itself as long as it's a great game. I would pay for SMW on 3DS right now.

Aeana

Honestly, I think SE's hesitation were from looking at DS game sales.

8 did fairly well on PS2 and it wasn't even really advertised minus including an FF demo with it.
8 had a huge advertising push, including the establishment of Slime Knights, the official community website.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Some of the changes so really nice but the death of random battles still hurts. I don't buy the whole "3ds games look bad in screenshots" thing if only cause 3DS games in my experience don't look all that special in general. Besides unlike VII I own an have played VIII, and prefer playing rpgs on consoles as opposed to handhelds. So I'ma naturally be much harder to win over.

If they're localizing the 3DS version, we'll likely get the Android/iOS versions too later.

Which is the same but with random battles.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
8 had a huge advertising push, including the establishment of Slime Knights, the official community website.

I never saw commercials for it on TV?

I didn't have a PC in 2004, not until 06 could I afford a PC and internet.

I did read all the gaming magazines back then though in stores, haha.

Infinite

Didn't DQ9 do well due to similar factors? It seems when games are actually advertised they have a better chance at selling.

Eolz

Didn't DQ9 do well due to similar factors? It seems when games are actually advertised they have a better chance at selling.

Advertisement matters, even more niche series can sell outside their standard audience with good advertisement.

Yeah I remember IX getting a really good marketing push.
It's not like FF, DQ really needs some good marketing in the west. Not necessarily expensive, but well made to attract an audience.
edit to clarify: FF needs marketing too, but not as creative/well-made. People will still see it "oh yeah new FF! Cool!" if it's just bad marketing with a budget, even if with sales dropping, it'd be good to see them pay a bit more attention to this next time...

flohen95

I remeber that, the year DQ9 released in Europe, a big chunk of Nintendo's otherwise Pokémon-only Pokémon Day Tour here in Germany was dedicated to DQ9 and the usual Event Pokémon that you could obtain at those events was replaced by some download stuff for DQ9. That was the only time that those events featured anything other than Pokémon, iirc. I also know that it was the first time I was actually made aware of the Dragon Quest series, so I guess it must have helped sales and exposure somewhat.

entremet

I own the ps2 version and will get the 3ds version day one because:

-faster battles
-better ost
-new content
-no random encounters
-portable, I love playing this genre on handheld.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Unless it's something mostly superficial like wanting to maintain detail/draw distance with the visuals, why are you disappointed they took out random battles? Seems to me that'd be a nice change of pace? Some of the best JRPGs have avoidable battles (CT and EB).
DQ VIII is one of the best jrpgs and it has skills/items to abolish them for periods of time! Having visible baddies is becoming more an more common so its not really a change of pace. It worked with the atmosphere of the DQM Joker games so I'm not 100% opposed to them but I wasn't feeling it in IX an just doesn't seem like it'll do anything for VIII. I like the "unknown" nature of random battles. With visible encounters ya know at least 1 of the baddies you'll be up against. Plus alot of games do it bad where ya think you can totally avoid a monster only for that to so not be the case.

I'm still a newcomer, I'm still currently playing through DQ V which is my first Dragon Quest game and absolutely love it so naturally it has left me hungering for more. I can't exactly speak for those folks but I assume "all of the above"? The features and content in this version sound pretty significant and probably would cause me to double dip had I played it in the past.
The sped up battles, improved soundtrack, quick alchemy pot, and faster menus all sound real nice. The new party members? I dunno. The group of VIII was small but each had role and played well off one another. A very well developed cast gameplay and character wise! Dunno if throwing two new ones in there shakes things up for better or worse. New (presumably) harder Monster Arena ranks really aren't that inspiring. Another post-game dungeon screams "stay away" to me. I couldn't finished the post-game dungeon of vanilla VIII, so throwing in another "oh you beat the story and thought your party was amazing huh? hahahaha" dungeons doesn't do anything for me.

If they're localizing the 3DS version, we'll likely get the Android/iOS versions too later.

Which is the same but with random battles.
I think the phone version already is out an people didn't like it?

I own both of these games on Playstation systems. So I probably won't be getting them. Especially since I got burnt out on RPGs recently. But, I'm glad they are coming.

Eolz

Here are some sales numbers for DQ IX:

1.02 million total for U.S. And EU as of Jan 2011:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/heres-how-much-dragon-quest-ix-sold-overseas

5.3 million worldwide as of March 2011:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-ix-sales-top-53-million/1100-6304548/

According to the GameStop article it was the first DQ title to hit 5 million in sales thanks in part to the significant sales boost it got here in U.S. and EU.

I know people may find it silly, but I'm worried about how the game will be advertised in the west if it's on both PS4 and NX home console.
Not worried about the 3DS version or if there's single home console release though.

Really awesome numbers btw, surprised to see how much it sold over only two months.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The original DQVII wasn't exactly a pretty game even for its time though, especially compared to games like Breath of Fire IV with the same sprites and 3D combination.

It would have been an ugly launch PS1 game. That it came out after the PS2 launched in America really doesn't help.

So can you think of any examples of things you think they could add that you would find interesting and worthwhile? It just doesn't sound like you're big on ports and special editions/re-releases of games in general. I've owned a SNES cart of Chrono Trigger and played it off and on since the year it was released, yet I still prefer the DS version for the additional content they added, even if the extra dungeon and monster arena seem a bit tacked on, I at least appreciate they took the time to add things like that and other little bonuses such as having the cut scenes, movie/music box, Bestiary, ect all add up. I consistently tell people to pick up the DS version over SNES and PSN as I would agree with those who say it's the definitive version. And DQ VIII 3DS content makes CT DS bonus stuff sound like a joke in comparison.

I know people may find it silly, but I'm worried about how the game will be advertised in the west if it's on both PS4 and NX home console.
Not worried about the 3DS version or if there's single home console release though.

Really awesome numbers btw, surprised to see how much it sold over only two months.

You're worried how Dragon Quest VIII will be advertised on PS4/NX? You mean DQ 11, right? :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Downgraded graphics aside, I think I am going to go ahead and buy 8, as well. Curious to see the additions to the game, and I've got to support one of my favorite RPGs.

Kouriozan

Just saw that DQ Heroes bombed pretty hard, that makes me a bit sad but I'm glad Nintendo is publishing DQ VII/VIII otherwise we would have never seen those in the West.
Hope they'll sell well otherwise I might have to learn Japanese for the future games.

Top Bottom