• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders releasing in NA in October on PS4 and Vita

Hobbun

In story mode, there are quest as well as more open tasks, a city to construct and monsters to fight; basic fighting with normal enemies in real-time and boss-battles that require the right strategy. Collecting materials (e.g. dropped by monsters, from chopping wood, etc.) and finding specific items is at the center of the game.

I really enjoyed the game even though I never could get into Minecraft.

I hope there is an actual story for story mode. Not just extra quests or things to do.

Although from the trailer, it does look like there is a story or some sort with the hero building/climbing into the sky and looking off into the distance to the great evil (?) who (probably) has caused the need to build up the land again.

If that is the case, kind of sounds like Dark Cloud 2 (story-wise), and would be ok with that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There's no real multiplayer, just a separate mode where you can show off your constructions and look at what other people are displaying. But it's pretty limited.

I think the DLC was mostly materials and skins, the game itself came with a pack-in code for some Japanese themed items/building materials like cherry trees and bamboo mats.

Ah sounds great. Don't think I'd miss any of that if I had to.

I hope there is an actual story for story mode. Not just extra quests or things to do.

Although from the trailer, it does look like there is a story or some sort with the hero building/climbing into the sky and looking off into the distance to the great evil (?) who (probably) has caused the need to build up the land again.

If that is the case, kind of sounds like Dark Cloud 2 (story-wise), and would be ok with that.

From what I heard, it's basically a retelling of DQ1. Same world too

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
They must have gotten the message that Vita fans actually want them to localize their games...

Actually, I think this was a shrewd move on their part to take advantage of DQ fans starved for games on Playstation platforms combined with the continued popularity of Minecraft here. More people are likely to buy this on Vita than something like Setsuna (which sucks, since that game looked pretty darned awesome). Personally, that plan is totally working on me and I will definitely buy the Vita version.

TEJ

Buying this. With all these dq games coming to the west maybe just maybe dq11 will as well? I'm not being too hopeful with this expectation?

Jimm

I didn't really like minecraft because I don't have the creative drive to just make my own fun. I enjoy set challenges and goals.
The fact this has a quest mode is interesting and I might just pick it up

yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

ill buy the CE or Limited E. for myself and gonna buy a normal copy for my bro (and nephew)

Any news on what this game is like? I love DQ. I don't love Minecraft. I like the idea of Minecraft but the lack of any goals or plan other than just creating shit bores me. Is this a more traditional and guides approach or is it another "let's make whatever" free for all?

Wanna support DQ no matter what!

Wow, didn't we expect this. I have the Vita import from the CE but I barely started it, I think the localized PS4 version is where I'm heading now.

Any news on what this game is like? I love DQ. I don't love Minecraft. I like the idea of Minecraft but the lack of any goals or plan other than just creating shit bores me. Is this a more traditional and guides approach or is it another "let's make whatever" free for all?

There is a campaign with specific goals.

takoyaki

You're basically describing my experiences with Minecraft and I loved DQB. Think of it as Harvest Moon but instead of building a farm, you're building a town (while having a lot more freedom of how you go about doing it). Add monsters that you have to fight/defend your town against and RPG elements like quests.

Having quests and a clear goal you're building towards made all the difference for me. Being a DQ fan helps as well ;)

You're basically describing my experiences with Minecraft and I loved DQB. Think of it as Harvest Moon but instead of building a farm, you're building a town (while having a lot more freedom of how you go about doing it). Add monsters that you have to fight/defend your town against and RPG elements like quests.

Having quests and a clear goal you're building towards made all the difference for me. Being a DQ fan helps as well ;)

Sounds amazing!

KingBroly

Banned
Yay, super happy they are bringing it over, despite not so hot DQ Heroes sales.

Sony or Nintendo will have to step in to fund that localization :/

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical and/or misinformed here, BUT I think it's kinda shitty that Square has localized DQH and DQB but Nintendo has to do it for the DQ7/8 remakes. At least that's my understanding.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical and/or misinformed here, BUT I think it's kinda shitty that Square has localized DQH and DQB but Nintendo has to do it for the DQ7/8 remakes. At least that's my understanding.

I don't think Nintendo has to do it but rather western SE doesn't consider the risk of DQ7/8 worth it?

Elven_Star

I might be interested in the Vita version provided it's got a good story. Even a decent story won't cut it considering all the other great JRPGs coming out this year. It must be legit good.

Ydelnae

Nintendo doesn't "have to" do anything. They signed a distribution deal for those games, they are interested in bringing them over.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think Nintendo has to do it but rather western SE doesn't consider the risk of DQ7/8 worth it?

It's still a problem. Nintendo and other 3rd parties proved JRPG's are a success on 3DS, yet Square is like 'nah, we'll localize these other things on the perceived money makers' that end up doing poorly. I also don't like this idea of Nintendo paying for a localization that will eventually end up on another platform (DQ7R in English will be on mobile at some point).

It's just a level of commitment to the brand that bothers and I just have this concern that it's going to spread to DQXI when it comes over here.

Top Bottom