• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Devs talk PC Release and Potential Sequel

If they make a sequel that isn't so repetitive and boring I might be interested. It was a decent game but it has way more potential.

Kyoufu

If they make a sequel that isn't so repetitive and boring I might be interested. It was a decent game but it has way more potential.

"Boring" is one adjective I'd never use to describe a game with high quality gameplay like Dragon's Dogma.

Repetitive? Sure, the game could use more enemy variety.

Sanctuary

Never played it, but I can't wait to jump in on PC and see what all the hype has been about.

It's one of the best console games of last generation bar none. It will be better (or worse, or equal) than the Souls games combat wise depending on your preferences. Despite all of its glaring faults on the console, it was a blast. Can't wait to replay it "the way it's meant to be played".

DaciaJC

Gold Member
And now I'm wondering if they kept in Into Free as a title song. The title song change for dark arisen was so disappointing.

Are people truly serious when they say this? The original theme felt so out of place, I was flabbergasted when I first heard it. DA's theme, though nothing spectacular, at least felt somewhat thematic in the context of the game.

What is about Into Free that so many people like, just the fact that it's wacky and out of place?

Grief.exe

It's one of the best console games of last generation bar none. It will be better (or worse, or equal) than the Souls games combat wise depending on your preferences. Despite all of its glaring faults on the console, it was a blast. Can't wait to replay it "the way it's meant to be played".

Can't hold this hype.

Steel

Banned
Are people truly serious when they say this? The original theme felt so out of place, I was flabbergasted when I first heard it. DA's theme, though nothing spectacular, at least felt somewhat thematic in the context of the game.

What is about Into Free that so many people like, just the fact that it's wacky and out of place?

It was out of place and kind of refreshing to have something that pumps you up before the game starts. And now I'm preloading....

David___

Banned
And now I'm wondering if they kept in Into Free as a title song. The title song change for dark arisen was so disappointing.

In the FAQ they mention that Into Free was only licensed for the original game so I doubt it. Wouldnt be surprised if theres a mod though that replaces it close to release.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Omg, this is the first game I pre-ordered on Steam, and thank the heavens I decided to visit this thread - otherwise I would've forgotten about the whole pre-loading business lol. I have poor ass internet connection, so the wait would've been absolutely excruciating on release day. :p

And I hope the port does well enough to warrant a sequel, because, boy, does DD deserve it.
Please Capcom. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!

Capcom's progression was kind of amazing in general last generation.

1.) They started off wanting some growth after Resident Evil 4 helped get them back on track. They put their internal staff on a mix of new IPs and existing IPs. These did okay, but they weren't earth shattering.

2.) As standards raised, Capcom realized they had no where near enough people to make games that were competitive while making both new IPs and existing IPs, so they started trying to publish new IPs and reboots from Western developers while their Japanese developers worked on existing franchises. The new IPs from Western developers didn't do so well, while the existing ones succeeded.

3.) Standards were still raising, and Capcom really wanted growth, so they decided to take the approach where their internal developers would work on New IPs while Western developers would work on existing IPs, outside of absolutely key franchises like mainline Resident Evil. Capcom's internal development process was becoming notably stressed by the level standards had reached, so their Western games came out first. While it looked okay at first with games like Dead Rising 2, things quickly fell apart as the developers Capcom could sign couldn't compete with the modern day standards. This was the era where mid-tier retail development was dying across the board, and Capcom's outsourced operation consisted overwhelmingly of the bottom of the mid-tier, so they were pretty much doomed.

4.) At this point Capcom canned basically all Western development aside from projects that had not yet been finished like DmC. However, we were now fully in the swing of the post-Call of Duty 4/Assassin's Creed 2 world where every Western publisher across the board was spending $40-$50+ million per game on development alone. This was a very hard standard to meet, and as Capcom's internal-developed new and existing IPs finally finished up, they were either panned, met with a cult-hit reception, or both. Given these productions were very expensive, Capcom basically decided to throw in the towel and proceed as they are today. Instead of working on titles like Dragon's Dogma 2, they favored working on games like Dragon's Dogma Online, HD Remasters, downloadable games like Umbrella Corps and Revelations 2, or 3DS titles like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney. The few other titles they had around largely signed up for some form of risk amortization like Microsoft publishing Dead Rising 3 or Capcom taking a big handout from Sony for Street Fighter V. Resident Evil 7 is the main possible exception.

Their directors and producers are now at the point where they're hoping a large enough success between titles like Dragon's Dogma Online and the Dragon's Dogma PC port can help them get a sequel to the game greenlit, but given their language, are acknowledging that it would be hard to do.

Capcom was usually a lot more like Square Enix than Bandai Namco in that they really focused on AAA, standard defining hits, so it's harder for them to just go back to their roots while maintaining the spirit of what defined them the way a lot of Japanese publishers have for their dedicated games business. Square Enix is a notable exception here since they just have so much cash from their previous successes, Western branch, and mobile/online arms. Capcom just has Monster Hunter.

Wow, so they have been struggling all these years. It's always good to see that they're starting to build up from this point.
I hope their deal with Nintendo for Monster Hunter expires soon so more fans can enjoy the franchise once again. And more importantly, more money for Capcom.

bengraven

I confuse this with Dragon Crown all the time.

This is the Capcom game, not the one with gigantic boobs and thighs, right?

HeeHo

I confuse this with Dragon Crown all the time.

This is the Capcom game, not the one with gigantic boobs and thighs, right?

Correct.

Just had a faulty motherboard replaced, I'm ready for this!! Even back on the 360 when it first released I wanted this game on PC. I eventually got the PS plus version too on PS3, man, that version had awful draw distance or I guess I should say, enemy pop-in.

HeeHo

I wonder what the chances are that this game will support my really old, crappy (yet functional) Logitech controller. I see the Steam page says it has full controller support but I don't really know what that means. Ark Survival says the same thing yet my controller doesn't work with that game.

I have a PS4 controller, Wireless 360 controllers, and wireless PS3 controller, but I'm not exactly sure I want to download some weird program just to get these thangs to work. Is it even easier than I think?

Corpekata

Banned
I wonder what the chances are that this game will support my really old, crappy (yet functional) Logitech controller. I see the Steam page says it has full controller support but I don't really know what that means. Ark Survival says the same thing yet my controller doesn't work with that game.

I have a PS4 controller, Wireless 360 controllers, and wireless PS3 controller, but I'm not exactly sure I want to download some weird program just to get these thangs to work. Is it even easier than I think?

Wireless 360 controller you just need a dongle. PS4 and PS3 can be USBed and you just need to start the 3rd party program generally outside the initial install, and it tricks games into thinking it's a 360 pad.

Your old controller is likely a Dinput one and the game does support Dinput, though sometimes they have weird niggles like showing keyboard prompts or generic buttons for icons and you sometimes have to assign functionality yourself.

David___

Banned

It is. The PS4 is plug and play and offers basic functionality for games that accepts DirectInput, which this game does. Using stuff like InputMapper/ DS4Windows allows you to use the PS4 on games that only uses Xinput and allows you to use the touchpad.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Hopefully they'll port it to the new consoles. I've got no business buying the PC version if my laptop won't be able to run it any better than the PS3 did.

I did play it very briefly on PS+ but it didn't grab me. I'll probably pick it up on PC and give it another whirl. It does look good I must say.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm ridiculous. I saw the pre-load and got really excited. I was seriously pumped, even though I knew it meant nothing. Then, I said to myself, "What the hell did you expect? You still have to wait a week genius."

Regardless, it does look like some folks are playing. I guess people with access for reviews?

https://steamdb.info/app/367500/graphs/

Last time I looked, 11 people were playing.
Reviewers.

Are any of them modders? Have they said anything about how moddable (compared to the other MT Framework games) it is?

Parsnip

Are any of them modders? Have they said anything about how moddable (compared to the other MT Framework games) it is?

I know of one modder who has had a chance to play the PC version early, but I don't know if he had a chance to look at the files. My guess is that the moddability is probably going to be on par with other MTF games.

Nobody else does it.

Literally, there has never been a combination of J-Rock and WRPG in existence. Everyone else is too scare to lose their precious 'immersion'.

This adds character and personality to the game.

Soodanim

Someone in another DDDA thread has already created and uploaded a profile for PS controllers that binds keyboard buttons to certain keyboard combinations. Honestly using a DS4 couldn't be much easier, and the DS4 touchpad allows for some interesting additional shortcuts on top of normal controls.

I'm so buying this! I stopped playing it on 360 cause I couldn't stand the graphical short comings. The game was just too ambitious for the hardware.

HeeHo

Thanks to the multiple posters who answered my questions about using a non-wired 360 controller. It DOES sound pretty damn easy.

Someone in another DDDA thread has already created and uploaded a profile for PS controllers that binds keyboard buttons to certain keyboard combinations. Honestly using a DS4 couldn't be much easier, and the DS4 touchpad allows for some interesting additional shortcuts on top of normal controls.

Although I'm a little confused by this, I don't exactly know what is meant by profile...? Do I just download a file and place it in the appropriate spot? Or is the game already DS4-ready?

Edit: I just looked at the pre-order thread and had most of my questions answered. Although, my profile question still remains. It looks like my DS4 will work right off the bat. Really happy about that.

Top Bottom