• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Unfortunately the servers are still down for me.

However, I've found another vehicle I really like. The Audi TT RS is great. Quick, handles well and is great for drifting. It's a nice looking car as well.

Sami+

due to rubbish 4g internet so I cant trial the PSN ver.

can someone just briefly run through a quick summary of the goods and bads?

Is single player good enough without multi play?

I'd say so. The mechanics are really solid and the game is an absolute blast to play. The sense of speed is insane and the game is really challenging and addictive - time trials create and activate ghosts of your best time the moment you hit the finish line so it's very easy to spend a lot of time running the same track continuously without ever stopping. I must have played for at least five hours yesterday.

Apparently the main criticism is a lack of content but so far it seems pretty meaty to me. *shrug*

vato_loco

Just tried connecting five minutes ago before coming to work. Servers still down. Stopped playing yesterday because I was at level 8 in single player and I don't know if it's OK to keep single player-ing without getting a club first. Some cars require clubs as well.

So... one year delay, no connectivity on a social game, and the app doesn't even show up on the Play Store. So far I am very much regretting breaking my "no pre-order" policy.

As for the game itself, single player at least, it looks ridiculously good, but against the AI, it's kind of on the easy side. Time trials are harder, but not that much. Sense of speed is AMAZING even in the most basic cars. Handling is kinda like Grid 2: it's not as simple as Need for Speed, but not as technical as Gran Turismo. It is very much a really fun game to play. If only it could entirely work, I would be so much in love with this game.

Tmecha

Neo Member
I'd say so. The mechanics are really solid and the game is an absolute blast to play. The sense of speed is insane and the game is really challenging and addictive - time trials create and activate ghosts of your best time the moment you hit the finish line so it's very easy to spend a lot of time running the same track continuously without ever stopping. I must have played for at least five hours yesterday.

Apparently the main criticism is a lack of content but so far it seems pretty meaty to me. *shrug*

cheers, think ill get this hopefully in the next few weeks.

Mullah88

Anyone having problems with downshifting with a T500RS? Seem to have problems when I drop 2 gears for a slow corner, it's hard to tell the revs in cockpit view with the rookie cars but I'm convined it sometimes misses the second shift.

There doesn't seem to be any way to have the gear displayed in the HUD in cockpit view.

Wish the servers were up

Inside sim racing guy said the same thing about the T300RS it's an issue with driveclub not the wheels

Game is very addictive and it's what I've been asking for. A game with real cars that drive like a sim but has an arcade flair to it. Got to level 20 before going to bed.

The British car challenge, I couldn't do it with the lotus, and to unlock the Bentley you need to be level 3 with a club

vato_loco

I very much hate those default, PR-approved responses. I would love to see an actual human being answer without a legion of people behind them telling him / her what to say in order to comply with whatever crap they need to comply.

Also I cannot believe it is almost 2015 and these games keep having server issues. Did nobody learn from EA or Blizzard or so many others?

Yep, servers are still down, gg Soony. I am contemplating if I should stop playing till they are up.

My positive initial impressions still stand but I can see where the reviews are coming from. This game is showing an astonishing lack of polish that makes you wonder where the game was one year ago.

- Cockpit view is borderline unusable with a controller. The FOV is very very narrow (worse than in all other racers I can think of) and why can't I activate the HUD? Seeing gears and speed is extremely useful when using manual transmission. So for now I am stuck with bumper cam and that makes the game a good bit more ugly.

- The game sometimes drops my downshifting inputs. How can such a major issue slip through?

- Why make an amazing lighting and volumetric cloud engine if you can't nail the basics? Game is blurry and jaggy. After one year of complaints they were not able to fix it.

- The AI is indeed not very good. Cars bump into me all the time and races often degrade to a slugfest.

All that being said, I am happy that they nailed the basics. The driving feels "right", the engine sounds are good and the tracks are awesome. I am liking the career so far and the car selection is more than solid.
Can't wait to try the online aspects.

Anybody else having problems accessing the pre-order content? Is this due to the server issues?

FeiRR

Banned
Why not post this twitter message in full here? It's relevant.

Hi Everyone,
With DRIVECLUB, we are dedicated to delivering a dynamic and socially connected racing game that everyone can enjoy, and along the way we're facing new challenges which we haven’t encountered as a development team before. We are seeing a lot of activity and new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits.
We are sorry if you are having a hard time getting online as we know many of you are. Please be aware that the game will automatically keep trying to connect you. Once you're online, you should have no further problems during your session.
Everyone at the studio is now working hard to get new updates ready for the game servers to improve connectivity. We will be rolling out these updates day by day and will keep you informed.
In order to help all DRIVECLUB players who have the game already, we're temporarily holding back the PS Plus Edition and the My DRIVECLUB app to ease the load and traffic to the servers. This should give players a better chance of connecting to the game servers and, once the servers are operating well, we’ll be sure to let you know when the PS Plus Edition and My DRIVECLUB app will be available to download.
To our PS Plus fans, we're sorry you're having to wait longer to play, but we want to ensure that when you come on board, you get the best experience possible. Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DRIVECLUB digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DRIVECLUB tour. You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.
We fully appreciate how frustrating this is for everyone. We want you to get online with your club because racing, challenging and having fun together is what the game is all about. We know that racing with your friends online is what you’ve been waiting for and we are doing everything we can to deliver that experience to you as soon as possible.
Sorry again for the difficult start. We’ll keep you regularly updated on our progress as we work round the clock to improve connectivity. We want everyone to know what's happening so please tag your DRIVECLUB friends or SHARE this message to let them know.
- Rushy

Number45

Anyone else in the UK getting a broken preload?

BzXqhTVCIAMdmhG.jpg
You might have sorted this by now, but I checked last night and mine has downloaded fully without any problems.

baconcow

Just woke up and am reading all of this crap. This really stains my impression on this game. I'm almost considering another game. Sheesh.

Korezo

Yep, servers are still down, gg Soony. I am contemplating if I should stop playing till they are up.

My positive initial impressions still stand but I can see where the reviews are coming from. This game is showing an astonishing lack of polish that makes you wonder where the game was one year ago.

- Cockpit view is borderline unusable with a controller. The FOV is very very narrow (worse than in all other racers I can think of) and why can't I activate the HUD? Seeing gears and speed is extremely useful when using manual transmission. So for now I am stuck with bumper cam and that makes the game a good bit more ugly.

- The game sometimes drops my downshifting inputs. How can such a major issue slip through?

- Why make an amazing lighting and volumetric cloud engine if you can't nail the basics? Game is blurry and jaggy. After one year of complaints they were not able to fix it.

- The AI is indeed not very good. Cars bump into me all the time and races often degrade to a slugfest.

All that being said, I am happy that they nailed the basics. The driving feels "right", the engine sounds are good and the tracks are awesome. I am liking the career so far and the car selection is more than solid.
Can't wait to try the online aspects.

Anybody else having problems accessing the pre-order content? Is this due to the server issues?

I felt the same about the blurriness and views when I first started, I couldnt see for shit. But now my eyes have adjusted and can now play in cockpit view hudless with the fastest of cars.

I felt the same about the blurriness and views when I first started, I couldnt see for shit. But now my eyes have adjusted and can now play in cockpit view hudless with the fastest of cars.

Thanks that's good to hear. I'll give it another try. I use cockpit view in all the racing games I play but I found it especially tough to accomodate in Drive Club so far.

ballerusk

Is there a notification system so we know when the servers are up? I can't be bothered to check all the time only to be disappointed.

+Aliken+

My white PS4 Driveclub bundle is on its way :D
Can't wait to try it.

Can someone explain me how the club system works?
I wasn't planning on getting the game but I decided to get a PS4 and then went for the most interesting bundle (for me). As a result I have no idea about the game...

Blablurn

Driving with no HUD gets even better once you realize that the green, yellow and red flags describe how hard you need to break lol.

Late Flag

This is a really good game and I enjoyed my time with it last night, but the servers still being down is completely indefensible. This is a game built around its online social aspect FFS. How can you not have functional servers on launch day?

I'm happy to defend this game against some of the bullshit criticism it gets (corridor racer, not open world, powerlinez, just racing lol, etc.), but the server thing is indefensible.

Really enjoying the game, but there are a few technical points that are bothering me.
  • The AI seems much too aggressive at times. I've had a few cases where you'd swear it was trying to kill me by pushing me off the road xD
  • The game kicked me out of a singleplayer race because I couldn't connect to the servers...
  • They went overboard with the penalty system. The aggressive AI causing most of these penalties isn't helping either...

baconcow

Lol posts like this make me laugh. Try the free version when it releases and decide yourself, is it that hard?

I absolutely plan on playing the PS+ version. However, I've been following this game for a while and find it disappointing how this has all gone down. My statement was to mention that my impression of this game has become stained by the activities of Sony and Evolution during this launch period. Opinions is all.

skynidas

Banned
i refuse to play the game without the servers. in the end the fame that i would earn wouldn't go to the club fame, so that's kind of shit

driver116

Really enjoying the game, but there are a few technical points that are bothering me.
  • The AI seems much too aggressive at times. I've had a few cases where you'd swear it was trying to kill me by pushing me off the road xD
  • The game kicked me out of a singleplayer race because I couldn't connect to the servers...
  • They went overboard with the penalty system. The aggressive AI causing most of these penalties isn't helping either...

Yup. There's a hand full of things which prevented the game from scoring well. Some seem like such obvious things too.

farisr

Driving with no HUD gets even better once you realize that the green, yellow and red flags describe how hard you need to break lol.

I actually read a review which said that those flags were a negative.

Really? They are pretty crucial to planning your turn. But whatever. People will nitpick the weirdest things.

I don't mind the flags at all, but would've liked the option to eventually turn them off. As I feel they kinda ruin the look of the environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom