• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This is a really good game and I enjoyed my time with it last night, but the servers still being down is completely indefensible. This is a game built around its online social aspect FFS. How can you not have functional servers on launch day?

I'm happy to defend this game against some of the bullshit criticism it gets (corridor racer, not open world, powerlinez, just racing lol, etc.), but the server thing is indefensible.

So standard server issues on the release of a major title is some unforgivable transgression worthy of multiple pages of hyperbole right? I don't say this often, but people are reveling in the fact that the game has so many perceived slights and it is starting to ruin talking about the game in general.

Jimrpg

This is a really good game and I enjoyed my time with it last night, but the servers still being down is completely indefensible. This is a game built around its online social aspect FFS. How can you not have functional servers on launch day?

I'm happy to defend this game against some of the bullshit criticism it gets (corridor racer, not open world, powerlinez, just racing lol, etc.), but the server thing is indefensible.

Par for course really, what high profile game doesn't have server issues on day 1, give them a chance to sort it out.

Game is definitely growing on me and I'm enjoying the racing. just did one track for the first time and missed first place by .029 seconds.

I absolutely plan on playing the PS+ version. However, I've been following this game for a while and find it disappointing how this has all gone down. My statement was to mention that my impression of this game has become stained by the activities of Sony and Evolution during this launch period. Opinions is all.

Yeah understandable man. I'm mad servers are down too, seeing the multiplayer is the main focus of the game. Hoping they can get them up soon seeing how its not helping the game at all, especially with the reviews people are overreacting to lol.

Late Flag

Actually, never mind. There are other threads for talking about the server issues and I'm enjoying the SP aspect so I'll just drop it..

Par for course really, what high profile game doesn't have server issues on day 1, give them a chance to sort it out.

Sure, but is this game really that high-profile? Seems like a huge portion of potential players were waiting for the free version. The international release is staggered. They know exactly how many people pre-ordered the download version, and how many discs were being shipped out to stores. I can't imagine it was *that* hard to estimate server demand for launch. And this isn't like Battlefield where the # of people is in the millions.

The server wonkiness really just reinforces that those of us who bought the full version really just paid full price to be in a public beta. All those cool social features? Hopefully they'll be working soon. Replays? Soon-ish, probably. Weather? Also soon-ish.

It's a bummer because I think the game is pretty good. But all these issues make me not want to play it until it's working properly, and are probably scaring away lots of potential buyers. And since we're in the middle of High Release Season, by the time the wrinkles get sorted out everyone will have moved on to the next game. Since this game seems to need a relatively active social community to really shine, I don't think it's going to get a chance to get it's legs underneath it, so to speak. This game couldn't afford to bobble the launch.

NeoRausch

Mercedes AMG GT and Seasson Pass up on EU Store.

Got the AMG about an hour ago. but the season pass seems new.
No money for you till servers are fixed!!

EDIT:
and i still can't download my preorder Shit....URGH!

EDIT2:
There is no season pass. What are you seeing?

Ploid 3.0

Driving through that the first time was so cool.

C5ecwsr.gif

So standard server issues on the release of a major title is some unforgivable transgression worthy of multiple pages of hyperbole right? I don't say this often, but people are reveling in the fact that the game has so many perceived slights and it is starting to ruin talking about the game in general.

This is standard server issues? Is it standard to pull the PS+ version of the game you've been touting about for the past year so that other people can 'try' and log in? I think it's kind of hard to ignore it since it's major portion of the game and from reviews it's not like the A.I. is great either. Wasn't the year delay assessed mainly by the team so they could improve its social functions? What good is that if you can't go online?

This is the part I don't get. They claim the servers are up and people are playing, it's just they're overloaded. Based on this thread though, it seems like quite literally almost everyone can't get in. We get occasional posts of someone getting in for 10 minutes or something. But at least in NeoGAF it seems about 99:1 can't/can ratio going on here.

Sure we can go "that's because those who got in are racing!" But it's been a day; you'd think they'd come back and post about it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
How do you launch a game that advertises online interaction as its focus with inadequate servers?!? First PS4 game I have bought where the online is totally inaccessible at launch. Par for the course for an Evolution Studios launch since last gen.

Juz

I've been playing for a few hours now. Really liking it!

Feels great, gorgeous graphics, nice tunes.

Hoping we get to play online soon tho..

Guymelef

Zalusithix

Weird. So like, are more people playing it than they expected? Because of better sales or just more people playing the free version?

Given the vast majority of the world can't get the free version, it has to be sales at this point. That and/or sub-par network infrastructure.

Joined a chat room with a fellow gaffer last night even though we couldn't race each other. However, it was funny as hell hearing our reactions as we raced trying to get better times and better positions in a race.

The game really makes you want to do better. Love it.

iFootball

Someone from the DRIVECLUB Facebook page replied to a comment that read:

--> "This is what Betas are for"

<-- "We ran a beta and did a lot of load testing, so the limits and issues we've seen since yesterday are as frustrating and unexpected for us as they are for everyone trying to play.

We're working hard to get everyone connected and having fun online and will keep you updated."

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Someone from the DRIVECLUB Facebook page replied to a comment that read:

--> "This is what Betas are for"

<-- "We ran a beta and did a lot of load testing, so the limits and issues we've seen since yesterday are as frustrating and unexpected for us as they are for everyone trying to play.

We're working hard to get everyone connected and having fun online and will keep you updated."
Sadly, this is the MO of Evolution launches. MotorStorm games were FUBAR at launch as well. I really hoped that it would not happen this way, but I am also not surprised. Sony could have done better here.

Played more of Driveclub yesterday with my Gold Headset, my Music Unlimited playlist and wow, amazing and super fun racing game. It's actually so simple, yet so addictive and fun. Controls are snappy and tight, graphics well people talked enough about them, sense of speed is the best i've ever seen. I love the challenges, it's really about racing and being a bad ass at that. It has that competition flair that i love so much and what makes videogames so fun !

I'm in love with the game and can't wait for more updates like weather.

I still can't believe the low reviews but anyway, we're not going there, enjoy the game fellow gaffers, it's a blast !

drotahorror

I can't believe the servers are still down..

Me either. I don't think I'm gonna play the game at all til they're up either. I'm already player level 25 and I don't want to keep progressing without helping a club (if that's how it works atleast).

Love DriveClub though. It's amazing. It's definitely a racing game but it feels so good, regardless of 30fps.

Also what's up with the servers not being able to handle the load? Were they expecting like, 50 people to only be playing? I find it hard to believe that the severs were that bombarded at 3am PST on release as well. They've been down since then atleast and only have come on for a minute or two at a time.

It really seems like I'm (and others) are missing out on a lot of what this game has to offer. I definitely understand why the PS+ version isn't out (or is it now?) but I just can't understand why the servers still aren't up well over 24 hours after release of a 1st party exclusive game that's focused on social features.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sadly, this is the MO of Evolution launches. MotorStorm games were FUBAR at launch as well. I really hoped that it would not happen this way, but I am also not surprised. Sony could have done better here.
That's what they get when they are not treating this like a first party launch. :-D

Sami+

This game is beautiful. Man fuck work right now, this day is gonna drag so bad. All I wanna do is play driveclub lol. I'm really hoping they get the servers up and running by the time I get home today. Really trying to do some intense multiplayer racing lol.

Seriously. I'll be getting my T80 today too so I'm pumped as fuck. Haven't tried a wheel on a console since the one my mom got for me on PS1.

Pop

I imagine Sony didn't expect this many people. Too few servers

I just want to create my club damnit.

I just want to do anything online-:/ when is a good time to start asking them via twitter?- dont want to be that guy haha

after investing 50 bucks in the game I think a timeframe for the servers being up would put me and other early adopters at ease-

cyber_ninja

This game is so damn addicting and fun to play. Rushy put crack in this game, lol. Too bad servers are down. Hurry up Soony and bring the servers online!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom