• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Comet

I want to do solo content, but I sort of feel like I should first be online and in a club in order to contribute to that. This is kinda ridiculous.

Not a fan of the GPS in most cars alternating the Driveclub logo with the car logo (cockpit cam). I bought your game, stop advertising it at me. No other view has to see that shit.

nikos

I think there's definitely some type of rubberbanding AI in the game. I've purposely stayed back to get a clean lap star, then went on to finish in first. It seems easier than it should to catch up to the AI when you're behind.

I've also seen AI cars going the same speed as me, then blow by as if they had nitrous.

you mean purposefully stay in the back until the last lap and then try to overtake the AI? I don't think that's gonna work in this game. as far as I'm aware, you don't get a speed boost from being in the last place. it will probably take some time while driving in full speed, taking corner as fast as you can with no mistakes to go from last place to 1st place in 1 lap imo.

Pretty much. Watch the video I posted on this page. I made some mistakes at the end, but I gunned it pretty hard in that middle section and gained basically no ground on the cars in front of me.

Im about 4 hours in, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I don't want to put the controller down. I like that the game is a challenge for me, basically an amateur at driving games. It feels to me like every car handles a bit different which I really like, and the cars feel heavy. Some of the point deductions for collisions kind of sucks, but it doesn't really bother me. The graphics are great although I'm not as blown away as I thought I'd be. The game has some really gorgeous tracks and time of day changes. I'd give the game around a 8/10 at this point. If the online social challenges enhances the game even further like others have said then IMO I'd give the game a 9/10. So fun. I want to keep playing but yeah bedtime, 8am class.

what I like the best about this game is, I can fell that I'm getting better. just finish a time trial event spending half an hour to get the top medal. and every corner I learn how to effectively tackle that corner, brake earlier, work on my driving lines, don't press full accelerator in those S curve etc.

by the end of it, I think I memorized that track pretty good. can probably do it without the minimap or try a night race with it. it's just an amazing and satisfying feeling.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
I don't understand why does some people kept mentioning the rubberband AI or for that matter bumper car AI? I mean one post is enough isn't it to prove your point, but for some they go on and on like a nagging in-laws.

A lot of people here that also owns the game don't believe it and I believe even Rushy said there is no rubberbanding. I have the game as well and been playing it for 3 days now aside from online aspect it's been great and really addicting.

what I like the best about this game is, I can fell that I'm getting better. just finish a time trial event spending half an hour to get the top medal. and every corner I learn how to effectively tackle that corner, brake earlier, work on my driving lines, don't press full accelerator in those S curve e

by the end of it, I think I memorized that track pretty good. can probably do it without the minimap or try a night race with it. it's just an amazing and satisfying feeling.

did you never deeply play any gran turismos?
for all its loading time faults and OCD no other game including driveclub does that better.

I don't understand why does some people kept mentioning the rubberband AI or for that matter bumper car AI? I mean one post is enough isn't it to prove your point, but for some they go on and on like a nagging in-laws.

A lot of people here that also owns the game don't believe it and I believe even Rushy said there is no rubberbanding. I have the game as well and been playing it for 3 days now aside from online aspect it's been great and really addicting.

you answered your own question.
and for what its worth i brlieve Evo said there are no AI warping. Thats still leaves room for rubber band effort.

SenkiDala

The game is awesome.

How this is even possible to give a 5 on 10 to this game? Without being absolutly dishonest?

7 on 10, if you feel that for some reason it's really not your thing (you wanted an open world, a sim game and not an arcade game, etc etc), but 5 is just seriously dishonest and not professional. It's just like giving Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze a 5 on 10 just because "Oh I don't like monkeys, monkeys sucks". It's really ridiculous.

I know reviewers are supposed to give their opinion, their feeling, but there is a limit I think. For exemple I absolutly hate the "Elder Scrolls" series, Skyrim for exemple, in my own criterias I would give it a 5, or even 4 out of 10. But if I was paid for giving an opinion on the game so I have to be honest, I can't give it less than 7, obviously.

It makes me remember about the French review of Lost Odyssey on jeuxvideo.com (French website) where the reviewer gave it 11/20 because (seriously) "Well the 1st DVD I had wasn't working well so I couldn't even finish the 1st DVD, anyway I don't like this game and I don't like that much JRPGs neither."... For those who don't know Lost Odyssey is a 4 DVDs game, and finishing the 1st DVD is just the begining of the game. This website is also the biggest European video game website.

Really reviewers should be more professional, seriously.

Anyway people, don't forget to make yourself your own opinion and try the game when the PS+ version is avalaible.

PS: sorry if my English is rusty, I'm French and I don't use English that often. :p

You admitted you had your sharpness set to 10. That alone means your TV is not calibrated for gaming. Who knows what other image destroying crap you have turned on. You should look up calibration settings for your TV model.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Me manually adjusting the sharpness to 10 does not suddenly mean everything else on the tv is not calibrated for gaming, It just means I have the sharpness turned down, because I found the default to be more sharp than I liked.There is no universal perfect numerical setting for sharpness on a tv, it depends on many factors ( what tv you have, personal preference etv)
If you look at this thread here you'll see that the sharpness settings vary greatly per person. I have taken other calibration tests in that thread and have it so my tv passes color tests, blackness levels etc so yes my tv is calibrated correctly. Here is a link that recommends having my tv sharpness set at 10 So get out of here with your clueless condescending "calibrate your tv" and "lol no words" when you don't even know what you are talking about, thanks.

Dash cam is solid.
Oh God yes. Best cockpit view ever. The camera shake is literal perfection, the lack of HUD makes the instrumentation vital, the handiwork when spinning the wheel between lock has the right feel of jazzy torque, and of course the tea-time fingers seal the fucking deal.

Oh do I know THAT feeling...

“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”
― Mario Andretti

ibqaOn72P6tBsC.gif

I just unlocked the PAGANI. Oh ye racing gods, let me be your instrument.

arit

210/225 only the drift challenges remain.

Since online still does not work and I cannot look myself, how viable would it be to have a private solo club for unlocking purposes only?

Oh, and penalty my ass!

viveks86

you answered your own question.
and for what its worth i brlieve Evo said there are no AI warping. Thats still leaves room for rubber band effort.

I think this has become a debate over semantics. Evo's definition of rubber banding is the unfair kind, where the AI drives faster than spec (acceleration/top speed). And that's an acceptable definition since people go nuts anytime someone uses those words. That kind of rubber banding is NOT in this game. However, what you have described and demonstrated is accurate. The game does have quite a bit of arcade-y elements and the AI is one of them.

Codeblew

You have no idea what you're talking about. Me manually adjusting the sharpness to 10 does not suddenly mean everything else on the tv is not calibrated for gaming, It just means I have the sharpness turned down, because I found the default to be more sharp than I liked.There is no universal perfect numerical setting for sharpness on a tv, it depends on many factors ( what tv you have, personal preference etv)
If you look at this thread here you'll see that the sharpness settings vary greatly per person. I have taken other calibration tests in that thread and have it so my tv passes color tests, blackness levels etc so yes my tv is calibrated correctly. Here is a link that recommends having my tv sharpness set at 10 So get out of here with your clueless condescending "calibrate your tv" and "lol no words" when you don't even know what you are talking about, thanks.

Changing the sharpness from the off position for a digital image will do nothing but screw up the image quality no matter if you move it to the sharper or softer side. Why do you want to alter the pure digital signal? The sharpness setting is just a holdover setting from when most signals were analog and it could actually help the picture quality. It does the opposite for digital signals.

Ugh the AI is upsetting me. I can't believe people say it gets worse later on. It's crazy because sometimes they feel like rubbin is racing idiots online but the don't make the mistakes humans would.

D23

Just finished semi pro. Now onto professional. Damn that last race was so intense. I cant wait to play thisgame online.

Ugh the AI is upsetting me. I can't believe people say it gets worse later on. It's crazy because sometimes they feel like rubbin is racing idiots online but the don't make the mistakes humans would.

They A.I sure love bumping into you from behind. The only sound I can hear is them nudging at me heh.

I think this has become a debate over semantics. Evo's definition of rubber banding is the unfair kind, where the AI drives faster than spec (acceleration/top speed). And that's an acceptable definition since people go nuts anytime someone uses those words. That kind of rubber banding is NOT in this game. However, what you have described and demonstrated is accurate. The game does have quite a bit of arcade-y elements and the AI is one of them.
Yeah - there is no magic applied to the cars. The AI is still providing actual inputs to the driving engine of their cars - and that's why you'll see some crazy behavior on the track, including some wild crashes.

This has neither the rubber-banding of the previous Motorstorm games, nor the robotic adherence to the driving line above all else that you find in the GT games. Its faster and looser than both, but still cemented to reacting to whats happening on track.

Changing the sharpness from the off position for a digital image will do nothing but screw up the image quality no matter if you move it to the sharper or softer side. Why do you want to alter the pure digital signal?
Because the pure digital signal looks like ass ?

did you never deeply play any gran turismos?
for all its loading time faults and OCD no other game including driveclub does that better.
I tried gt6 and while I enjoy my time with gt, they're also a much more sim and way less forgiving than dc. While I use the same trial and error approach with both games on how to tackle a corner, I got much more error result with gt, the few success I got from gt sometimes felt like luck that I have hard time replicating while I felt I had better chance to do the same success in dc. Which give me better impression of I'm learning.

Not to mention gt have a shitload of stuff that is outside the core racing like tuning, tire type, and even the core driving got it's own setting like drive assist etc. Sometimes when I'm doing all wrong, I felt like maybe I got the car setting wrong pr something

Also, imo dc also has better sense of speed, make the game very tense and exhilarating, even in the starter car which supposed to slow. So far I like dc more than gt, but I think that's mainly because I like a more arcade kind of game than sim like gt.

Prototype

what I like the best about this game is, I can fell that I'm getting better. just finish a time trial event spending half an hour to get the top medal. and every corner I learn how to effectively tackle that corner, brake earlier, work on my driving lines, don't press full accelerator in those S curve etc.

You could say this about any game.

Edit. The server issues and other things are really making me start to hate the game.

viveks86

This has neither the rubber-banding of the previous Motorstorm games, nor the robotic adherence to the driving line above all else that you find in the GT games. Its faster and looser than both, but still cemented to reacting to whats happening on track.

One thing I've noticed is that the AI seems to go into a default pattern when you are far behind. They form a peaceful little line and follow each other bumper to bumper. Once you catch up, they rev back to life and start overtaking each other and being aggressive as hell. Kind of like a classroom before and after a teacher enters, except with opposite behavior. It's quite amusing to watch. :D

You could say this about any game.

Well, that goes without saying too. He's bringing it up because of how pronounced it feels in this particular game for him.

Loudninja

One thing I've noticed is that the AI seems to go into a default pattern when you are far behind. They form a peaceful little line and follow each other bumper to bumper. Once you catch up, they rev back to life and start overtaking each other and being aggressive as hell. Kind of like a classroom before and after a teacher enters, except with opposite behavior. It's quite amusing to watch. :D
Hahha, hey guys we have only pen a enemy here YOU.

until you noticed that your car is too slow to even pass them up no matter what you do lol.

Yeah, that's true. I've seen it more than a few times, but not always a result of me running slow. There are some turns where the AI as a whole gets sheepish.

The server issues and other things are really making me start to hate the game.

I'm worried the lack of online will dampen my enthusiasm with it. I've decided to hold off playing it much until it's all resolved. I want that full experience and I can wait a few days for it. Will be glorious when it arrives.

True. I have a couple of stars I just can't seem to get without the those locked cars. Goddamn servers! :/
Don't feel limited by the cars. I've made all the time challenges with the basic cars. I just finished the Oliver's Landing hot-lap in 1:16 and I thought it was damn near impossible for a while there.

And don't get caught in the trap of picking the most recently unlocked car for the most recent challenge - they aren't necessarily the best. Look for the most top speed and acceleration for those time trail challenges - and you might find them very early on in the unlocks. Better handling might see you through against AI if that's more your style of driving though.

How about regular updates instead of going a whole working day before addressing the issue. Or what about this, and just go with me on this one for a beat. The product actually works as advertised. This bullshit mentality of fixing things in post is a blight on the industry, and no amount of PR speak excuses this. Evolution & Sony should have known better... It amazes me how quick some gamers are to defend behaviour like this, while rallying around other mostly trivial shit.

Whole working day makes sense.

• You have to find the problem.
  • Work at it.
  • Make sure that you write the explaination of the situation clearly with approval of your bosses.
  • Post on Facebook.

Your problem is thinking one day is too long. It isn't. It's perfectly normal, and you really should relax a little than demanding money because they haven't told you the problem in 24 hours. Hell, they didn't bullshit on what went wrong either. The worst in giving rushed updates? sometimes you find out something else was the case and have to backtrack on your words. Glad that they didn't take that step.

VanWinkle

Nice shots. How you liking it so far?

I REALLY like it. Getting a hang of the handling now and its great fun. Can't wait for the server to go up properly so I can experience it with the social aspect.

Still looks great at night despite compression.

Quick question. Do the fireworks not get reflected?

I was watching a video with them and they didn't seem to show up on the cars.

You know, I can't actually recall. I was blinded by the majesty of the scene I was in, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom