• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaberEdge

I don't know, it just feels really basic to me. I don't find myself having that much fun. It's ok, just not great. I also don't get the hype over the visuals. It looks like a videogame to me. The jaggies are also pretty badly distracting. It basically looks like what I expect a current gen racing game to look like, but not in a surprising way, just in a sufficient sort of way.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't know, it just feels really basic to me. I don't find myself having that much fun. It's ok, just not great. I also don't get the hype over the visuals. It looks like a videogame to me. The jaggies are also pretty badly distracting. It basically looks like what I expect a current gen racing game to look like, but not in a surprising way, just in a sufficient sort of way.

You are entitled to your opinion, but there is no way the jaggies that present themselves in certain lighting situations is so distracting at 100 MPH when you won't even be noticing such minute detail.

In your opinion, what plays and looks better on current gen consoles?

VanWinkle

Well, I mean, not everybody is going to like it. Keep in mind the social aspect is a major part of the game and it's not functioning at all right now.

And really I don't know how you can see the visuals are merely sufficient. Lighting is a huge part of the visuals and here it is the best I've ever seen. It also seems like the environments would have impressed you, in their scope, geometry, and attention to detail. The jaggies are an issue but they are one of the only issues in a game that is otherwise visually ahead of everything else.

viveks86

Don't feel limited by the cars. I've made all the time challenges with the basic cars. I just finished the Oliver's Landing hot-lap in 1:16 and I thought it was damn near impossible for a while there.

And don't get caught in the trap of picking the most recently unlocked car for the most recent challenge - they aren't necessarily the best. Look for the most top speed and acceleration for those time trail challenges - and you might find them very early on in the unlocks. Better handling might see you through against AI if that's more your style of driving though.

Hmmm true. Most often I'm just 1 second away from the star and I know my lap wasn't remotely perfect. But I just wanted to drive the GTI so bad that I stopped trying to improve.

Loved the oliver's landing hot lap. Somehow managed to pull that off sooner than a couple of the earlier events.

And the drift challenges are sooooo good! This is the first game where I actually enjoyed them!

the second part of driveclub tour got a lot harder lol

also, the penalties in this game are bit sensitive. hopefully driveclub acknowledges it and fixes this issue.

viveks86

the second part of driveclub tour got a lot harder lol

also, the penalties in this game are bit sensitive. hopefully driveclub acknowledges it and fixes this issue.

After all the reviews and it being the top complaint even amongst people here who like the game, I'm sure they'll do something about it.

Imagine the game with better handling of penalties, less aggressive AI at higher difficulties, improved AA and AF. Fuck. This game would be a perfect 10 for me if that happened. Even without the CLUB part of DRIVECLUB :D

The jaggies are also pretty badly distracting..

I solved my distracting jaggies issue by changing TV sharpness from 65 (where it was) to 15 (where it is). 90% of those white pixel sparkly bits are gone now, or subdued so that they don't call attention to themselves as much, and the few stair-steps in some bits of track stuff are less obvious.

Although the picture has lost a bit of punch, you only notice the loss doing A-B switching, after a few minutes it looks like the same driveclub as we've seen in videos. If anything, lowering the sharpness makes it look more like actual footage rather than a video game world of triangles.

I wish there was a way to have the tachometer part of the HUD elements. It can be really hard to see sometimes and it's what I use to know if I need to shift up or down.

I have the HUD turned off so I don't even see the points and reductions, etc., and thus don't even notice the difference. I'm still scoring lots of points and leveling up at a good clip. Exactly what's so horrible about it?

I just played it for about 2-2.5 hours. So far, it's half-decent, but too basic in my opinion.

Thoughts/Questions:

- The servers are a broken mess. I couldn't have played any multiplayer if I'd wanted to. I connected to the servers a few times, for about 30 seconds each.

- The server status warning/ticker at the bottom of the screen is annoying.

- The game's physics aren't very good. The cars are stiff and feel a bit tank like.

- While the overhead vista cams are nice, the game's visuals feel outdated. Parts of tracks are too dark and limit visibility.

- The driving feels dated, too.

- After playing Forza Horizon 2, this is a notable step backwards.

- Is there really no way to change difficulty?

- No way to turn the ticker off or make a driving line show up?

- The A.I. is kinda crappy. They don't deviate much from lines and just run into you. No avoidance. Plus, they're catch-up programmed. Makes things frustrating.

- No rewind makes them crashing into you and screwing you over annoying.

- Still somewhat fun, but hard to really recommend.

Saberus

I solved my distracting jaggies issue by changing TV sharpness from 65 (where it was) to 15 (where it is). 90% of those white pixel sparkly bits are gone now, or subdued so that they don't call attention to themselves as much, and the few stair-steps in some bits of track stuff are less obvious.

Although the picture has lost a bit of punch, you only notice the loss doing A-B switching, after a few minutes it looks like the same driveclub as we've seen in videos. If anything, lowering the sharpness makes it look more like actual footage rather than a video game world of triangles.

Think some LED/LCD tv's really screw with the visuals, I'm lucky I have a pioneer Kuro plasma TV still.. gaming is awesome on it.

Iacobellis

Does this game feel barebones in a way that the first Motorstorm did to anyone else? Like, I understand that multiplayer will help flesh this out a bit, but it still feels a bit less of a game than Forza.

Right now, it's basically do this race and customize your car with limited options. Seriously, you can't even make body modifications.

GHG

I just played it for about 2-2.5 hours. So far, it's half-decent, but too basic in my opinion.

Thoughts/Questions:

- The servers are a broken mess. I couldn't have played any multiplayer if I'd wanted to. I connected to the servers a few times, for about 30 seconds each.

- The game's physics aren't very good. The cars are stiff and feel a bit tank like.

- While the overhead vista cams are nice, the game's visuals feel outdated. Parts of tracks are too dark and limit visibility.

- The A.I. is kinda crappy. They don't deviate much from lines and just run into you. No avoidance. Plus, they're catch-up programmed. Makes things frustrating.

So you want an easier life basically?

This is not the game for you, nothing wrong with that.

Does this game feel barebones in a way that the first Motorstorm did to anyone else? Like, I understand that multiplayer will help flesh this out a bit, but it still feels a bit less of a game than Forza.

Right now, it's basically do this race and customize your car with limited options. Seriously, you can't even make body modifications.
Because that's the focus of the game? Pure unadulterated racing.

VanWinkle

No. It doesn't feel like the most massive game ever or anything, but it doesn't feel barebones at all. :)

At least with DC we can do single events and pick the car, track and AI difficulty. Motorstorm 1 didn't even do that!

Guymelef

Thoughts/Questions:

Not a single good thing right?

VanWinkle

Yeah, I get that. But for a game released in 2014, the customization options for vehicles is kind of underwhelming.

How does the year correlate to this functionality? We've had games with and without customization options for so long now. They are just focusing more on the race. That's not the style of game they're going for.

I want to play this game so badly since yesterday but I want to wait for the servers to come in so I can level up the newly made club that I got invited to. Got the game 2 days before release date and a few people on here are almost done with Tour mode.

giphy.gif

Not a single good thing right?

I didn't say that. But there are quite a few cons.

It feels, to me, like a decent last-gen racer with up-rezed visuals. I find it somewhat entertaining, but it just doesn't have much life to it or a wow factor, let alone a spark to grab onto.

jesus christ, sharpness should be at zero. a lot of features should be disabled or tweaked.

It depends on the TV, for Panasonic plasma's like the one I got, they have to be at 0. I used to own a Sharp LCD before that and putting the sharpness at 0 made me feel like I need to get newer glasses or something so I had to bump it up abit.

jesus christ, sharpness should be at zero. a lot of features should be disabled or tweaked.

Different TV's have different settings. My 2013 Sony Bravia defaults sharpness to 50, and in almsot all calibrated settings posted by people online they recommend to leave it at default.

It feels, to me, like a decent last-gen racer with up-rezed visuals. I find it somewhat entertaining, but it just doesn't have much life to it or a wow factor, let alone a spark to grab onto.
Kinda how I feel when I watch Horizon 2 videos. *shrug*

...I actually think the AI is pretty good/fun. This game is just raw fun. There is no fuss about it, just suit up and hit the road. From hot-hatch to hyper, the races are exhilarating. IMO the India p2p courses are the week link, while Chile, Norway, Scotland and Canada are exceptionally good. I think Chile/Putre may be my favorite. That run at dawn or dusk is truly breathtaking.

I'm still tapping my toes waiting to join in on multiplayer, nonetheless, Driveclub has already exceeded my expectations... I get TOCA Race Driver vibes from the physics: I find more and more depth to the physics as I push the cars closer to their limit.

Do I really need a fucking Facebook account to host my share button vids?.... I've got an epic, clean, neck and neck, sunrise run on Putre... But it appears locked behind my lack of social networking accounts.

De_Legend

Banned

Maybe you were just not in the mood after that lost...

Still waiting for the PS+ edition to hit to try it myself.

I've still only played about an hour of it as I've been away from home, but I've been thinking about the game a bit.

I think Evolution found themselves in a bit of a conundrum. I think when they debuted the game last year at Gamescom, the general consensus was that it was a bit average. There was no sense of speed and the game was just uninteresting.

I think at that stage they had a choice to drop the simulation aspects and make it more arcade, effectively going back to their roots to make the game they knew how to make. The core game really feels like Motorstorm but with car models, I feel like the cars even handle like Motorstorm too. When the reviewers say the game lacks soul, I think that also means there isn't a consistent vision and there's a lack of identity. The rural locations definitely help towards that regard, but the arcade nature of the cars I think confuse the reviewers. The cars don't handle like real cars like in Forza or GT and that's where reviewers think there's a flaw, there's an even slight disconnect where the game isn't behaving how reviewers are expecting it to behave and thus not meeting expectations. One thing about gamers is we see screenshots and videos, but its different to actually playing the game ourselves. Reviewers are obviously supposed to be judging the game on its merits, but its clear that they don't always.

I don't think the game has changed at all during development. It was never enjoyed by a large amount of the press at the events it was present, and even though it didn't look at its best it was always presented with the social element of competing with and challenging others.

But the gaming press as a whole don't really enjoy racing games, I've never seen any in top 10/20 lists, so the reviews just become a box ticking list of what should be in a modern day racing title. Like "tuning should be in it because it's a racing game?" but for DC that ends up up making a farce of the whole point scoring system, unless they segregate all the challenges and point scoring system into categories based on different tuned cars ... and it would end up being "race this car I tuned around this track." with most players fucking up the car because they don't know how to tune it.

Different TV's have different settings. My 2013 Sony Bravia defaults sharpness to 50, and in almsot all calibrated settings posted by people online they recommend to leave it at default.

Yep, for mine it is 50 means "neutral" and that's good because less than 50 in the case of Driveclub deals with the sparkles for an acceptable trade off because 100% white pixels in the middle of a dark area that flash on and off are distracting.
For Destiny there was no need to change it from 50.

Thoughts/Questions:

To summarize, Driveclub is not Forza... The End.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
In retrospect, they probably should have done a alpha/beta of some kind, although who knows what that would have done to the production schedule.
Added a couple of months, at which point they could have shipped the game with dynamic weather, photo and replay modes included, rather than treat them like afterthoughts. And stand a better chance of weathering the day 1 server onslaught, to boot.

I never did understand the decision to launch now rather than in a couple more months when they'd supposedly have all that other stuff finished.

I just woke up, hoping the servers would be up ... /

Good morning, and thank you. That means few more hours of sleep for me.

Yesterday I was playing for around 5-6 hours without being able to establish a connection, and in the evening when I was writing a trophy guide and left the game running to check several menu points I suddenly got connected. So stupid.

last gen racer with up-rezed visuals. Gotcha.

Took some shots last night. Might have to increase bit rate in capture software (El Gato).

Haven't played since; waiting for server fix. What I've played has been immense, though. Technically very profound in how they are painting the background of each track. Can't wait to be able to mess with weather, as time compressed dawn and dusk on a track is really well done.

Just got some time with Driveclub for the first time. Graphics are simply amazing. Also, the handling and driving mechanics feel great. Really like it so far.

Navy Bean

Pretty much. I also own both games and don't share any of his complaints.

ellenpageshrug.gif
You are the level-headed champion of this game! I also own and love FH2 and was really excited to try this on PS+. I even signed up for a club. Is there an ETA for the Freebie version? The only critique that worries me is the harsh penalties for going a bit off the track coupled with overly aggressive AI. But, as I've not played it I have no idea how they play out in the game.

Blastoise

Banned
My full version got delivered today. I played it for about 60 min. This game will be really fun.

There is no driving line. Initially this really made me hate the track. However after looking at the flag colours and entering the corners at the apex, I really started to love this system. It kinda makes you focus on the road instead of a coloured line.

One annoying thing is that the AI don't deviate from the racing line... at all. So they will always push you into the wall if you don't make space or get out of the way.

I will play more once the servers are up.

I got this game for $40, and that is one of the reasons I don't mind the shortcomings other reviewers have listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom