• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploid 3.0

Some people like prebaked lighting. Maybe it has a place, but this game isn't going for that kind of thing, and it pays off in spades. They don't need to have textures for night or day, and they can seem to throw anything at it to make it look very natural.

GameSeeker

I don't go into forza threads. Are there trolls like this in those threads nitpicking individual damn details???

Guys like this are only taking away enjoyment from people excited for this game and I think that's the agenda here.

Just ignore it. We could get Neil Degrasse Tyson to post in this thread that the DriveClub shadows are correct and people would still complain. :p

Jimrpg

I don't think that's the case. Have you ever tried a wheel?

If anything, it's the other way around as using a controller is very immediately accessible.

If GT rankings are anything to go by, then the wheel users will have a massive advantage. It allows you more precision control over the wheel as well as your accelerator and brake and makes it easier to up and downshift.

Controllers are much more accessible, but also make it much harder to make the tiny adjustments a wheel allows.

Pretty much the latter response. I think it's easier to hold a line or adjust it accordingly but with a controller there's always subtle movements to get the right line until you perfect it like when doing gold licenses in GT and even then it takes a number of goes to get it right.

I was just thinking, last generation there were lots of wheels and a wide range of prices for wheels so it's hard to complain about. But with the ps4 it's just thrustmaster and the nice wheels are really expensive $500-600 for the t300 and t500 which is daylight robbery. Or you can buy a tacky wheel for $100. I don't see that many ppl buying wheels for this. I just think the few ppl who have them have an advantage.

MilitanT07

Unconfirmed Member
there are no perceivable "different levels of intensity" its a clean cut shadow in the pic youre using (the real world car)

Actually there is, but the contrast it too high for human eyes to distinguish between levels of intensity. It is a phone camera.

Original un-cut image, increase the brightness and you-might be able to see it near the car tires, and under the car as going further down.
WP_20141004_005.jpg

nib95

Banned
It is meant to illustrate that driveclub shadow is definitely missing something, the mini almost have no shadow at all when there should be at least different level of intensities.

Not if the direction of the sun is such that at the said angle it is not visible to the naked eye. They are using a real time dynamic lighting system, with dynamic global illumination, a first in games. Generally racing games add some faked lighting or SSAO below the cars, so we don't get this issue, but in DriveClub's case, it's completely accurate.

People are just consistently embarrassing themselves in this thread.

Prebaked lighting needs to die , games have been trying to get real time lighting for years and as you can see it paying off in DC .
We still have ways to go but DC and other games are moving in the right direction , i mean how many of you would not like to see different genres with DC engine.

Actually there is, but the contrast it too high for human eyes to distinguish between levels of intensity. It is a phone camera.

Original un-cut image, increase the brightness and you-might be able to see it near the car tires, and under the car as going further down.
WP_20141004_005.jpg

Now what you need to do is take the car out of cover, and take a picture where the sun and weather is in a position that matches with the DC picture you are using for a reference. You know for science and accuracy.

I don't go into forza threads. Are there trolls like this in those threads nitpicking individual damn details???

Guys like this are only taking away enjoyment from people excited for this game and I think that's the agenda here.

The Forza threads are great, actually. It's well deserved because it's also a great game, so I seriously don't understand all the crap that gets thrown in this one.

h3ro

WP_20141004_005.jpg

If the lack of a small shadow at the bottom of the car from chase cam is going to hamper your enjoyment of the game, then don't get it.

If you want to start a thread on the careful analysis of the shadow cast by your Range's bumper, go for it.

In the mean while, #DRIVECHUB.

nib95

Banned
The Forza threads are great, actually. It's well deserved because it's also a great game, but I seriously don't understand all the crap that gets thrown in this one.

Fanboys of one particular side feeling like they have more to prove? Who knows. But go to most DriveClub threads Web wide, Twitch streams, YouTube videos or whatever, and they will be teeming with an abnormal number of fanboys of other platforms shitting all over it at many an opportunity. There has been some sort of insecurity complex or something regarding DriveClub from the offset, even apparent in the original FH2 OT thread title. Hell, there are people losing their shit posting vids on YT about how DriveClub and is terrible and the other game is so much better.

WP_20141004_005.jpg
But there are a lot of variables you're not taking into account.

Indeed, whilst your picture being real life is obviously accurate, you do not know if the conditions match the conditions of the Mini image you compare it to.

But, we can see from other photos, namely Rushy's, that it is possible to replicate in real life what we see with the Mini image. So whilst the same is true that we don't know if the conditions match for his image and the Mini image, we know that it is possible to create the same effect, thus there is plausibly nothing wrong with the Mini image, so I simply do not understand why you are refuting this?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So um, since apparently so many people already have the game.. How is it? Is it fun, how's the community part, how's the customizing?

WP_20141004_005.jpg

Could this topic be a new thread sir?

I know I couldn't care less about your scientific analysis of a single shadow at a specific angle at a specific point in time.

nib95

Banned

I know I couldn't care less about your scientific analysis of a single shadow at a specific angle at a specific point in time.

The ineptitude of his 'scientific' analysis is that in his picture there isn't even any comparable direct sunlight. The Range is under cover. The lighting conditions are completely different. Rushy's example is far more accurate.

Ishan

hes pretty much throwing a lot of mumbo jumbo out.... pointless to think about it more now. first it was quantizing photons. then it was intensity gradient. then it was camera phone and human eyes etc etc.

Fanboys of one particular side feeling like they have more to prove? Who knows. But go to most DriveClub threads Web wide, Twitch streams, YouTube videos or whatever, and they will be teeming with an abnormal number of fanboys of other platforms shitting all over it at many an opportunity. There has been some sort of insecurity complex or something regarding DriveClub from the offset, even apparent in the original FH2 OT thread title. Hell, there are people losing their shit posting vids on YT about how DriveClub and is terrible and the other game is so much better.

To be fair, that original OT title was only liked by a few bad apples. The vast majority wanted it to be changed, even FH2's creative director.

I think that the main "reason" (not that it's ever justified) could be that with Driveclub being a new IP and being delayed, people think it has more to prove than the established franchise, so they'll nitpick any tiny little niggles they notice and make a big deal about it. It's all pretty shitty, I post in the FH2 thread more because I've always been more excited for that game, but when I pop in here now and then, it seems that I can never comment on a nice .gif someone posted without seeing a few pages of crap beforehand.

To be fair, that original OT title was only liked by a few bad apples. The vast majority wanted it to be changed, even FH2's creative director.

I think that the main "reason" (not that it's ever justified) could be that with Driveclub being a new IP and being delayed, people think it has more to prove than the established franchise, so they'll nitpick any tiny little niggles they notice and make a big deal about it. It's all pretty shitty, I post in the FH2 thread more because I've always been more excited for that game, but when I pop in here now and then, it seems that I can never comment on a nice .gif someone posted without seeing a few pages of crap beforehand.

You would hope. But ye olde 'post history' of many of the concerned citizens seem to match up with certain preferences a little too often for that to be all it is.

WP_20141004_005.jpg

I think for starters, the shot you took isn't even from the same angle and height of that particular camera option in the game, so the comparisson is worthless from the offset.

Guymelef

WP_20141004_005.jpg

its_time_to_stop_posting-n1296694987668.jpg

So i'd like to bring this thread back to everyday normal planet Earth where people enjoy playing Video Games.

I just wanted to say that the speed of this game looks absolutely incredible. I've played a lot of racing games in my day, and something I've noticed is that most games feel slow as hell when you're below 100mph. When I watch DriveClub videos, I can feel my body tensing up when the cars get above 80mph, and it looks freakin ridiculously fast on high speed straight aways.

I don't even own a PS4, but this will probably be the game that makes me flip.

Late Flag

I mean, listen, we're talking about shadows. Not a game! Not a game! Not a game! We're talking about shadows. Not a game; not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, not the game, we're talking about shadows, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about shadows. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example, I know that. And I'm not shoving it aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do. I honestly do. But we're talking about shadows, man. What are we talking about? shadows? We're talking about shadows, man! We're talking about shadows! We're talking about shadows... We ain't talking about the game! We're talking about shadows, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom