• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super hyped for the game, but I'm normally a single player racer and don't really race online much.

I think this game will be kind of unfair. There will be a lot of people with controllers and a few with wheels. The players with wheels will probably smoke the people with controllers.

Does anyone else think this will affect their enjoyment of the game? This is something that probably affects all racing games but seems like Driveclub online modes and clubs is a very large portion of the game.

I don't think that's the case. Have you ever tried a wheel?

If anything, it's the other way around as using a controller is very immediately accessible.

does this game have a "replay" mode after races? I remember in GT6 the replays looked amazing, so looking forward to seeing how this game does it (if it does? if not, it's pretty rare not to in a racing game)

nib95

Banned
I agree. It's really apparent in screenshots that IQ is just not that good.

Are people trolling or just ignorant to these things? Those saying the IQ is bad, probably don't have a very good idea of what poor IQ actually is. Firstly, the game is 1080p, add to that, there is a good level of AA to the extent that very few jaggies are actually visible. Overall the image is exceptionally clean, with very little glaring aliasing. In-fact, overall it's cleaner than most other racers released on these next gen consoles.

You cannot, with a straight face tell me this is bad IQ.

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

ic8upKf6wrIh8.jpg

iGnugb7wXxz88.jpg

i00OXdr6wAzOP.jpg

i2kLjVu7Ll6Oh.jpg

ibkHx9uBzzcTv3.jpg

ilSoW9Y5uJeNU.jpg

ibhkpa9L8BEhnV.jpg

iYrrAwZ4qX1Ub.jpg

viveks86

I noticed in that video what appears to be a city track.
I'm wondering if it is actually a city track or just some skyscrapers off in the distance.

It's not. It's the canada race track. Has buildings in the distance.

Do you know when its available for the full version?

The store page only lists the game being playable on the 7th (US version).

As soon as you preorder, you will get a countdown timer in your library. It's Oct 5th for the US.

does this game have a "replay" mode after races? I remember in GT6 the replays looked amazing, so looking forward to seeing how this game does it (if it does? if not, it's pretty rare not to in a racing game)

It's coming as a free DLC update post release. Don't know when

The game probably uses some kind of temporal anti aliasing. Screenshots don't make justice to the game. It looks much better in motion, trust me.

Fenzer

I'd like to know something.

If you play to the PS+ Edition and then you buy the physical version, do you start from the scratch ?

le-seb

If anything, it's the other way around as using a controller is very immediately accessible.
That's easily arguable.
If anything, a wheel offers more precision and the force feedback is really helpful in feeling the grip.

Are people trolling or just ignorant to these things? Those saying the IQ is bad, probably don't have a very good idea of what poor IQ actually is. Firstly, the game is 1080p, add to that, there is a good level of AA to the extent that very few jaggies are actually visible. Overall the image is exceptionally clean, with very little glaring aliasing. In-fact, overall it's cleaner than most other racers released on these next gen consoles.

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

iYrrAwZ4qX1Ub.jpg

it's not bad image quality, but's not great either i believe Dark10x explained why.

Man, the image quality just isn't that great in the end. There's a lot of visible shimmering and, once again, texture filtering is lousy.

I mean, the game looks very nice, but it's disappointing to see so many tiny details created for this game only to have them compromised somewhat by relatively poor image quality.

That's how i feel about the IQ.

SkylineRKR

Some of those screenshots look better than others.

The game looks great, but its not melting my screen. Its like there is some blur going on. Its the same that kept me from being blown away by UFC, even though that game does look very good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The game probably uses some kind of temporal anti aliasing. Screenshots don't make justice to the game. It looks much better in motion, trust me.

Lol, so does Infamous SS.
Remember all the ugly screenshots from that? I don't... not ones with good hosting, at least.

Damn...I can't believe some comments in this thread. Game looks fuckin' awesome to me and looks like a blast to play. The nitpickin' should stop...it completely ruins my excitement for this game. Not saying here that you can't discuss the game but this is way out of line imo.

nib95

Banned
it's not bad image quality, but's not great either i believe Dark10x explained why.

But he plays a lot on PC, likely using very high IQ settings. Compared to the racers we have on these next gen consoles, the IQ is actually on the better end. We have FH2 with 4xMSAA/1080p/low AF, Driveclub with (?)AA/1080p/low-mid AF, NFS Rivals with FXAA/1080p/low AF and F5 with no AA/1080p/no AF. I can't remember what MotoGP 14 uses, I just remember the game not looking too hot. I won't even get in to the Wii U's racers...

waypoetic

Banned
Allright, so i wanna join a crew/clan/club when this comes out. Is the Gran Turismo-GAF guys on this? Will there be clean, competitive racing or just fuckery ala GTA...?

Marlenus

I am a bit pissed now but it is nothing to do with driveclub. I was about to pull the trigger on the RS300 GTE pre-order yesterday @ £240 but something cropped up so I forgot about it. I go to do it this morning and Amazon have upped the price to £300. Argh!!

le-seb

Allright, so i wanna join a crew/clan/club when this comes out. Is the Gran Turismo-GAF guys on this? Will there be clean, competitive racing or just fuckery ala GTA...?
Are any of you buying Driveclub? We should have a GT-GAF club and show these peasants how to drive.
By the way, I think most of the races will be clean and competitive.

So I can't pre-load the PS+ upgrade because I need to download the PS+ version as well, which won't be available until the 10th (UK)?

Is that correct?
Nope. You can preorder the upgrade now, and have the game preloading.

So I can't pre-load the PS+ upgrade because I need to download the PS+ version as well, which won't be available until the 10th (UK)?

Is that correct?

Some of those screenshots look better than others.

The game looks great, but its not melting my screen. Its like there is some blur going on. Its the same that kept me from being blown away by UFC, even though that game does look very good.

The game uses motion blur so that blur look is expected when looking at pics .
It has some best motion blur i have seen which really adds to sense of speed which important to racing games.
In motion it looks awesome in pics sometimes it just looks bad .

If GT rankings are anything to go by, then the wheel users will have a massive advantage. It allows you more precision control over the wheel as well as your accelerator and brake and makes it easier to up and downshift.

Controllers are much more accessible, but also make it much harder to make the tiny adjustments a wheel allows.

Hmn.. Kinda what i feared. I allready preordered the game but i was hoping it was cleaner. Shimmering and jaggies are always extra aparent on great looking games, especially racers.

I was very happy with how killzone and infamous looked as far as iq goes

waypoetic

Banned
Sorry if these questions have been up already, i'm pretty sure they have but:

Can you turn off the HUD?

Can you customize your car in any (engine, tires, different kinds of wheels and rims) way?

What happened to that animation where you open the car door, climb in and you're at the start line? Now it's just a thing in between the menu and a loading screen... Disappointing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Can you customize your car in any (engine, tires, different kinds of wheels and rims) way?

What happened to that animation where you open the car door, climb in and you're at the start line? Now it's just a thing in between the menu and a loading screen... Disappointing.

Yes
Nope
Still there from what I've seen.

crazyprac

Not to be an ass but:

If you were to notice that detail about the animation, how come you haven't noticed the numerous gifs/vids/first page in this thread to answer your questions. Can even google it if you're inclined... Disappointing.

Accessible yes, faster no. With enough practice wheel and pedals are faster.

That's easily arguable.
If anything, a wheel offers more precision and the force feedback is really helpful in feeling the grip.

Yeah no doubt they can be, I suppose my point was that there is no big advantage if you only have a controller and don't have a wheel.

Certainly if I wouldn't expect to get smoked in this game online because I'm using the controller. It's not a handicap like a fighting game sans a fighting stick.

waypoetic

Banned
If you were to notice that detail about the animation, how come you haven't noticed the numerous gifs/vids/first page in this thread to answer your questions.

Haven't been following this thread and i'm mostly browsing GAF on my phone; 5 gif's in a row loading in isn't something i've got time for.

Sanjay

Yeap, it goes for a similar sort of grand vista appeal, but Driveclub just has considerably more realistic lighting, shadowing, shaders and overall scope (mainly in the amount of foliage, number of tree's, tertiary effects etc).

I agree, also thank you for selling me on the game, I literally picked it up because of your post, this one:-

You need a reality check, and I mean that literally. It's not even close.

Nope. Not at all.

Driveclub of course has them sexy affects and backgroundscale but Rivals is pretty close.

MilitanT07

Unconfirmed Member
Although they did a good job, I refuse to accept it is completely natural shadow seen in real-life, it just doesn't look natural.

Gaf_DC.png

Guys this is an arcade racer, a wheel isn't going to give you any competitive advantage' I'd argue a controller would be easier and more effective. It would be fun to use, maybe, but I wouldn't worry about racing with a pad vs wheel users.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

I think people are assuming motion blur=bad IQ, which is pretty ridiculous.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Although they did a good job, I refuse to accept it is completely natural shadow seen in real-life, it just doesn't look natural.

Gaf_DC.png

Rushy posted a real photo ... a real photo. I'll say it again, a REAL PHOTO. If you don't like reality, go play a lesser racer with sparkly graphics.

le-seb

Not to be an ass but
So don't be an ass.

He's just noticing, as I did, that we don't start racing directly from the get into the car sequence (something that was shown during the PS4 reveal, IIRC).
More so, you may notice that this sequence uses assets from your previous race location, and not the one that's coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom