• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

nib95

Banned
If I miss a star in the first round, can I quit after I go back and get the star or do I have to finish the entire event?

As long as it's not the final race in a championship, you can restart it right after you've finished it. That way you also keep the stars you already unlocked for it. For example, sometimes I'll do races twice, once to get the stars such as cornering and average speed challenges etc, and another to get that first position place and a better overall time.

As long as it's not the final race in a championship, you can restart it right after you've finished it. That way you also keep the stars you already unlocked for it. For example, sometimes I'll do races twice, once to get the stars such as cornering and average speed challenges etc, and another to get that first position place and a better overall time.

You can restart any round after you do it, except the final one you have to pause and restart event before crossing the finish line

I think I may have worded that wrong, either that or I'm having a derp moment. What I mean is if I miss a star in the first round, but then later go back and get it, can I just quit after acquiring it, or do I need to finish the second and third rounds too for it to count?

Putty

Vaga, I won't be at my Playstation until tonight but could you add me? I'd like in on those challenges, please.

Also, The TwinRun is hilarious. I'd love to know if the actual car handles as wildly as that.

Yeah, get me added Vaga, and you Aucto.

Siegmeyer

I think I may have worded that wrong, either that or I'm having a derp moment. What I mean is if I miss a star in the first round, but then later go back and get it, can I just quit after acquiring it, or do I need to finish the second and third rounds too for it to count?

You can just quit out after the round and it saves any Stars earned. At least I'm 99% sure it works that way, I seem to recall doing exactly that.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, get me added Vaga, and you Aucto.

Welcome to twice as much time playing Driveclub lol. I can see you playing more and more besting their times, and them doing the same rinse repeat. This game. Those challenges. Too damn addictive. Too damn time consuming lol.

So...I hit 50 last night.

640.gif

Moozo

Just the two ball ache trophies to go. Can't see me ever getting level 50 unless I get the season pass, and the accolade one is a massive grind fest.
(I've also got the 5 challenges one but that wouldn't be too difficult with a little help)

Welcome to twice as much time playing Driveclub lol. I can see you playing more and more besting their times, and them doing the same rinse repeat. This game. Those challenges. Too damn addictive. Too damn time consuming lol.

Lol yep, I've never spent as much time pounding around a single track as I did last night.

Good for you, the Alpine+track combo was not my cup of tea. I'll set a few challenges tonite on the Kyle, see how you keep up :).

As of right now the Renault Alpine and Twin'Run are my most hated cars, I feel perfectly at home in all hyper cars but these 2 fuckers I just can't stand.

God not the Kyle! I do need the practice on that track tho.

I seem to be most successful with the cars that people avoid - the Atom, Alpine, Twin Run and DeZir are all cars I use regularly. Dunno if it's whether they just suit my driving style - I never free wheel at all, I'm always accelerating or braking (or both :) which is probably why I don't suffer from the lift off oversteer that those cars have.

nib95

Banned
I do think the Acolade achievement badges take way too long. Lord knows how many hours I've sunk in to this game, and in all that time I think I've only unlocked one accolade sticker for my vehicle paint. That's just not right lol.

Skii

I do think the Acolade achievement badges take way too long. Lord knows how many hours I've sunk in to this game, and in all that time I think I've only unlocked one accolade sticker for my vehicle paint. That's just not right lol.

How do you even keep track of your accolades?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. This is going to take ages to get the platinum D:

lordxar

I didn't think that was too bad until I hit 50 and had to grind out one accolade. The trip to 50 knocks most out especially if you keep an eye on them as your playing.

Putty

640.gif

I've not got the time to plough lap after lap sadly otherwise i would 8)

Auctopus

After just tearing round salar de surire for a bit, I've decided that evolutions decision to nerf barrier slow downs is an incredibly bad idea.

nib95

Banned
After just tearing round salar de surire for a bit, I've decided that evolutions decision to nerf barrier slow downs is an incredibly bad idea.

Maybe they could keep it as it is for Time Trials and Hot Laps, but change it to the updated version for actual races?

Moozo

I'm more concerned about the grass/dirt/gravel which is far too sticky. Touching it basically puts you in a spin, to the point where you have to drive absolutely perfectly and it's not much fun. Part of the fun of time trials is working out where you can shave time off and this just takes that element away.

Putty

I'm more concerned about the grass/dirt/gravel which is far too sticky. Touching it basically puts you in a spin, to the point where you have to drive absolutely perfectly and it's not much fun. Part of the fun of time trials is working out where you can shave time off and this just takes that element away.

So drive to the limits of the road?

Newlove

So I bought this yesterday and have been playing through a bit of the career. Are the weather effects in the career or is the only way to see them in single events / custom races?

Wabba

Really mixed feelings about this game. The graphics from the car texture, the environment and lightning is the best i have seen from a racing game maybe the best looking game overall, and the driving experience is pretty solid.

But the thing that really makes the experience not so good is the AI. I am not the greatest driver of all time, so the biggest problem is that there is no difficulty setting like all the other Evolution games (why can't they add that, there have been complains in every game that have made, open your eyes). It starts easy but after just a few hours some races becomes almost impossible. Makes the game really frustrating. And there has to be some kind of rubberbanding in this game, why do some similar cars just drive way faster then me on a straight line, is there some kind of secret booster pack that i don't know about (and no it is not drafting). And why is there no customisation? i don't need to alter my car but for the low of god please give me the option to colour my car to another colour, not a red and black lightning paint job that looks like i just came out of a action man set.

They succeed on so many levels but fails on the most basic. And the same mistakes was in Motorstorm so i just think that Evolution will never learn.

Fenzer

So I bought this yesterday and have been playing through a bit of the career. Are the weather effects in the career or is the only way to see them in single events / custom races?

No weather events in career besides in Elements Events (in Season Pass). Only in multiplayer and custom races, single events yes.

I try to. But if you put even a wheel wrong since they changed it it's all over.
I'm not talking about cutting corners. At the minute the edge of the track is unbelievably unforgiving

It depends on the car, track and weather. On my Yeddapalli vid on the previous page you'll see me clip the dirt in several places without issue. Try doing the same on the first bend on Sinclair Pass in the wet with a mono and you'll be right round.

I do believe this will be toned down along with the barrier slowdown but we'll see.

<snip>

But the thing that really makes the experience not so good is the AI. I am not the greatest driver of all time, so the biggest problem is that there is no difficulty setting like all the other Evolution games (why can't they add that, there have been complains in every game that have made, open your eyes). It starts easy but after just a few hours some races becomes almost impossible. Makes the game really frustrating. And there has to be some kind of rubberbanding in this game, why do some similar cars just drive way faster then me on a straight line, is there some kind of secret booster pack that i don't know about (and no it is not drafting). And why is there no customisation? i don't need to alter my car but for the low of god please give me the option to colour my car to another colour, not a red and black lightning paint job that looks like i just came out of a action man set.

They succeed on so many levels but fails on the most basic. And the same mistakes was in Motorstorm so i just think that Evolution will never learn.

Seen this kind of post a lot in this thread so excuse me if this comes across a bit terse...

Did you play Demons Souls for a couple of hours then slag the game off for being too hard without bothering to learn the fighting techniques or magic, and demand that they add difficulty levels?

The only way to beat Driveclub is to learn the tracks and cars and get better at driving, which is EXACTLY as it should be. None of this rewind cos you messed up bollocks, or wimp out on the difficulty level. If you're not prepared to do that and be rewarded by becoming a better driver then maybe this isn't the game for you.

I hadn't actually reached the end of your post before the rage struck so only just read the other stuff you got wrong. There is no rubberbanding in the game, the AI is very good at drafting (which is to be toned down) but usually the reason you got passed is because you messed up the previous bend by either braking too much or messing up the exit. And yes you can customise the look of your car by going into the garage...

Wabba

Seen this kind of post a lot in this thread so excuse me if this comes across a bit terse...

Did you play Demons Souls for a couple of hours then slag the game off for being too hard without bothering to learn the fighting techniques or magic, and demand that they add difficulty levels?

The only way to beat Driveclub is to learn the tracks and cars and get better at driving, which is EXACTLY as it should be. None of this rewind cos you messed up bollocks, or wimp out on the difficulty level. If you're not prepared to do that and be rewarded by becoming a better driver then maybe this isn't the game for you.

I hadn't actually reached the end of your post before the rage struck so only just read the other stuff you got wrong. There is no rubberbanding in the game, the AI is very good at drafting (which is to be toned down) but usually the reason you got passed is because you messed up the previous bend by either braking too much or messing up the exit. And yes you can customise the look of your car by going into the garage...

Never played Demons Souls, but i understand to some degree what you are saying. But you must also know that not everybody is a master in driving games, but the game should be open for less talented drivers also. Whynotboth.gif

I just don't see why they can't release a lower difficulty setting, every racing game that i know of has one. I want to become better at racing and then adjust the difficulty setting accordingly not give up because the game is to difficult and frustrating.

You can say that the Souls games are a example that some games should be hard, but it is a niche game coming from a hardcore Japanese developer, i mean that a racing should be tailored to everybody, my father on 50, my brother on 15 and me.

watchdog

Really mixed feelings about this game. The graphics from the car texture, the environment and lightning is the best i have seen from a racing game maybe the best looking game overall, and the driving experience is pretty solid.

With regard to the difficulty, try alternate cars for an event that is giving you trouble. Just experiment with the different cars and pay attention to their characteristics, if you haven't already. Maybe cars with high drifting capability don't work for you, for example.
I'm just guessing but it's possible that those other cars that pass you up came out of a turn at a higher speed and was able to reach their top speed more quickly than you.

You can change you car color from the Garage menu on the main screen. Sucks that it's buried in there but you can definitely change the car's paint job from the red and black lightning design.

PepperedHam

I actually found the difficulty curve in this game just right. I haven't played a racing game since GT3 and I feel like my skill gradually increased as the tour went on and I got more familiar with the game's mechanics. It was fun going back and doing old tour events to get stars that previously were too hard for me in one go, it showed just how much better I had gotten. Some events can get a little frustrating but I feel like (for me at least) the difficulty curve allowed me to get better without even realizing it.

Oh no. I suck at The Kyle.

Me too :-( And that bloody Vaga knows it!

Challenges sent, 2 on the normal 1 on reversed in heavy rain at the crack of dawn which I think will be the most interesting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRJbaynrpQ

If anybody who didn't receive the challenge wants to participate let me know.

I hope you put it on for a week, I'm gonna need that long to get anywhere near ya! Looks fantastic tho bud.

LOL, rightly so.

Git :)

yamo

I just created a super casual club if anyone wants to join. It's an open club so just go ahead and join, there is currently 3 spots left.

Might kick non-gaffers if there is enough interest so lurkers beware! :)

Club name: GAF GOLD

sOlb.jpg

Never played Demons Souls, but i understand to some degree what you are saying. But you must also know that not everybody is a master in driving games, but the game should be open for less talented drivers also. Whynotboth.gif

I just don't see why they can't release a lower difficulty setting, every racing game that i know of has one. I want to become better at racing and then adjust the difficulty setting accordingly not give up because the game is to difficult and frustrating.

You can say that the Souls games are a example that some games should be hard, but it is a niche game coming from a hardcore Japanese developer, i mean that a racing should be tailored to everybody, my father on 50, my brother on 15 and me.

Edge explained their positive view on the difficulty by stating "if gaming’s ultimate appeal lies in the learning and mastering of new skills, then surely the medium’s keenest thrills are to be found in its hardest lessons" concluding "for those who flourish under Demon’s Souls’ strict examination, there’s no greater sense of virtual achievement.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

Not sure on sales figures but the spiritual sequel sold 2.4 million apparently, and by Bloodborne's reception I wouldn't call those games niche.

As I said before, if you put the time in then you will be rewarded. The only racing games I can think of with difficulty levels are Kart racers, pretty sure GT didn't have it...

Vaga

Holy crap the Enzo sounds amazing. And I think I spotted a new hyper car, Aston Martin AMV concept perhaps?

edit: nvm it's the Jag X-C75

lordxar

Not to pile on but no. Not every game needs to be suited from 5 year olds to geezers and some games are actually popular based on certain merits like the Souls games are, they sell decently and the core crowd is happy. That's why their popular and have a reputation no matter how niche. DC is what it is today because of the core not the filthy casuals that abandoned it at the slightest whiff of problems. We like our game as it is, maybe some polish here and there but this is what we paid for, hung around because of, and still play. Problem with casuals is their casual and on to the next big thing because their chasing fads.

How come people have to have everything suited to them these days? What happened to enjoying a game as it is? Its not like DC is the only racer out there I mean there's NFS if your stuck on PS or Forza, Mario Kart. Sorry not to be an ass but if the game is not your cup of tea just get rid of it. I ditched the AC games because as cool as I think the story is, I just don't like the gameplay.

If you do really like the game just practice. I never thought I'd be where I'm at today but I plug in the game and run tracks every day or two.

Not to pile on but no. Not every game needs to be suited from 5 year olds to geezers and some games are actually popular based on certain merits like the Souls games are, they sell decently and the core crowd is happy. That's why their popular and have a reputation no matter how niche. DC is what it is today because of the core not the filthy casuals that abandoned it at the slightest whiff of problems. We like our game as it is, maybe some polish here and there but this is what we paid for, hung around because of, and still play. Problem with casuals is their casual and on to the next big thing because their chasing fads.

How come people have to have everything suited to them these days? What happened to enjoying a game as it is? Its not like DC is the only racer out there I mean there's NFS if your stuck on PS or Forza, Mario Kart. Sorry not to be an ass but if the game is not your cup of tea just get rid of it. I ditched the AC games because as cool as I think the story is, I just don't like the gameplay.

If you do really like the game just practice. I never thought I'd be where I'm at today but I plug in the game and run tracks every day or two.

That is one of the best posts i've read about gaming in a long time, there is a lot of people that just want everything handed to them on a plate without having to work for it, instead of lowering the difficulty get some practice in there is no rush to get through the game just take your time and enjoy it.

One of the things i've loved about this game is the difficulty curve, it's driven me round the ben on many occasion but when you get it right it's damn rewarding and you feel like you've accomplished something!

Skii

I'm sorry to say but it's people like you that are causing games to be dumbed down to the point where generic shit from Ubisoft and co. is constantly pushed out year after year to appeal to the masses. I'm absolutely sick of it.

This game doesn't need difficulty settings for the tour. It just doesn't. It has a star rating system for and if you're not good enough to get 3 stars, tough luck. This game isn't even as difficult or as punishing as a game like Demon's Souls either.

Get better at racing games by playing it, not by turning down the difficulty. You will never be truly good at the game if you don't actually take time to understand how to play it properly.

Finally, the Souls game is hardly niche. The reaction to Bloodborne being leaked on Gaf is proof of that. It's even being copied by other developers for their latest games.

/rant

Btw, this isn't specifically targeted at you. I'm just really annoyed with the constant need to simplify everything for convenience in the video game industry.

Strider

I just created a super casual club if anyone wants to join. It's an open club so just go ahead and join, there is currently 3 spots left.

Might kick non-gaffers if there is enough interest so lurkers beware! :)

Club name: GAF GOLD

I just joined. Got the game recently so was looking for a club. Love the name and logo :D

danowat

Banned
While we are on the subject of difficulty, does anyone know what level the AI is on tour?

I like doing single events on legend level, combined with more laps makes it a lot more fun.

Top Bottom