• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Stupid question maybe but can you see how many hours you've played the game in the in game statistics? Was just curious...btw thanks DHC-Shannow...i hate drifting even more than racing in the dark when it rains ;) j/k

Vaga

It's always been like this.

Actually no it wasn't. Back at launch when mp was non existant, I did a lot of TT. There was little to no slow down when going off road, cars were just unable no accelerate further, also you were getting a lot more penalties when going more then 2 wheels off road. Nowhere near perfect, there was a lot of wall riding as cars didn't have engine stall like now but still a lot better than today.

And let's not forget about a certain fucking update that broke time trialing after they duplicated Forza's brilliant idea of forcing cars to a complete stop in some off road parts mainly near hairpins. Genius! If only they copied more and implement Forza's detection of dirty laps that automatically puts them behind clean laps on the leaderboards. The slowdown got eased up but still it's quite annoyingly enforced on a lot of tracks, the chicane on Oliver's landing springs to mind, no need to brake before the bend just throw the car in the gravel.

Yes it is dumbfounding that a racing game registers a time after having track collisions and off road penalties, all of those detected by the game itself.

kie25

I've just watched some these videos and although I say Driveclub is a arcade game I do think it's gone to easy to get away with stuff, I noticed that driving off track was gaining time few months ago and tweeted rushy, he did say he will look into it, however the big problem you have now is if they change stuff and make the game follow strict TT settings, all the leaderboards will need resetting, I actually don't mind that, I remember when project reset there's I was fuming untill I played it and every corner cut was fixed, i agree that if you run or hit a wall and the slow down kicks in it should invalidate your time, I know on Oliver's landing you can actually deliberately get a slow down to get a faster time if done properly, I mentioned the slow down or hitting a wall should instantly invalidate your time a few times in the past, but 1 thing people need to remember is Driveclub is a arcade game, it's not a simulation like project cars etc, so I can understand them being bit softer with penalties etc, but I think maybe it's gone bit to soft to help the less skilled out.

Vaga

I don't mind a total leaderboard wipe. Prolly won't happen but without a clear separation between dirty and clean laps it would be useless.

Or they could create a new leaderboard specifically designed to register only clean times. And keep the current times as not actually dirty but not official or something like that.

Or option 3 release the news about the new Motorstorm :D

xrnzaaas

Why not add a second tab like with the silver stars? One leaderboard would have all times and another leaderboard would only include clean laps. All the new content could already have both leaderboards up and running and the old content would only require the new tab to be filled with clean laptimes.

OK the first weekly challenge is complete, thanks to everyone who took part and well done to Ainsz, DavidRicardo and Vaga for taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd places respectively. It was really competitive on there with AnythingBut narrowly missing out after leading early on.

I'll post a full list of results up later but in the meantime here's the Week 2 challenge...

https://youtu.be/7xQMXGx_n5A

Drifts aren't really my speciality so I'm sure it'll be beaten even quicker than the time trial was! Same as last time, it's invite only so if you want to take part but haven't received the challenge then let me know and I'll forward it on. Have fun!

Lol previous challenge is really hard, man.

I will wait for next challenge from you.

Actually no it wasn't. Back at launch when mp was non existant, I did a lot of TT. There was little to no slow down when going off road, cars were just unable no accelerate further, also you were getting a lot more penalties when going more then 2 wheels off road. Nowhere near perfect, there was a lot of wall riding as cars didn't have engine stall like now but still a lot better than today.

And let's not forget about a certain fucking update that broke time trialing after they duplicated Forza's brilliant idea of forcing cars to a complete stop in some off road parts mainly near hairpins. Genius! If only they copied more and implement Forza's detection of dirty laps that automatically puts them behind clean laps on the leaderboards. The slowdown got eased up but still it's quite annoyingly enforced on a lot of tracks, the chicane on Oliver's landing springs to mind, no need to brake before the bend just throw the car in the gravel.

Yes it is dumbfounding that a racing game registers a time after having track collisions and off road penalties, all of those detected by the game itself.

I remember on one of my earliest time trials watching the record time use the outer edge of the track to approach at a wider angle, with more speed. I guess that's different because he wasn't using it to slow down, but still abused nonetheless.

Additionally, one of the streamers I watched setting day one records provided was advocating 'whatever you do do not break, hit walls, cut corners, but don't break unless you have to'.

So I do think it's always been something that at least some players have been taking advantage of. I'm used to PCars and GT where laps are invalid after small collisions or any off road, so DCs time trial policies don't make sense to me.

It has nothing to do with it being arcadey either in my opinion, just because the game isn't a sim doesn't mean people should be allowed to validate laps that go off-track. Sure if it happens in a race then it's no big deal, obviously when you begin allowing people to engrave those mistakes permanently into the leaderboards is a little silly.

Duallusion

Drifts aren't really my speciality so I'm sure it'll be beaten even quicker than the time trial was! Same as last time, it's invite only so if you want to take part but haven't received the challenge then let me know and I'll forward it on. Have fun!

I'd like to give it a shot.

kie25

I remember on one of my earliest time trials watching the record time use the outer edge of the track to approach at a wider angle, with more speed. I guess that's different because he wasn't using it to slow down, but still abused nonetheless.

Additionally, one of the streamers I watched setting day one records provided was advocating 'whatever you do do not break, hit walls, cut corners, but don't break unless you have to'.

So I do think it's always been something that at least some players have been taking advantage of. I'm used to PCars and GT where laps are invalid after small collisions or any off road, so DCs time trial policies don't make sense to me.

It has nothing to do with it being arcadey either in my opinion, just because the game isn't a sim doesn't mean people should be allowed to validate laps that go off-track. Sure if it happens in a race then it's no big deal, obviously when you begin allowing people to engrave those mistakes permanently into the leaderboards is a little silly.

If he was telling you not to brake the guy clearly didn't have a clue, you need to brake in Driveclub if you don't you will be crashing all the time ;)

Deband

I added a bunch of ppl from this thread. The driveclub friendlist thing is ok but I've no idea who is still playing from the 600 plus ppl on it.

Duallusion

Sorry for the long post I just noticed that the Devs post in this thread at times and wanted to show them that including small options (screen shake effect off) can totally change a customers opinion on your game and make you a sale and a new fan you would never have had and one that will likely buy your next game also.

Thanks to the Devs for patching that option in - It literally changed the whole game for me and now I can sink many hours into learning and enjoying your game and support you by buying this content and future content.

Thank you Evolution Studios.

Yeah, I've turned that down to 0% as soon as I could, even though I wasn't super bothered by it before. It's one of those things that probably make the game feel even worse for those unfortunate people who have issues with 30fps.

Karu

Challenge etc. probably needs the Season Pass? Bought it in February 15, played a while and liked it, but stopped. Gone back last weekend and played 8 hrs straight, it got its hooks into me since then. Fantastic game. Hesitant buy the SP though. Got 215 starsin the tour, around 30 on Ignition and 25 on PhotoFinish, but with the weather effects and all, my enjoyment might tampered with my current skill level, hm.

If he was telling you not to brake the guy clearly didn't have a clue, you need to brake in Driveclub if you don't you will be crashing all the time ;)

He was setting world records track after track without effort, and some of the tracks he was setting already had some of the better Motorstorm time trialists on them. What I mean by breaking was, he would only slow down if he had to and break to a minimum, and in many cases he would cut corners, take a wide off road route, or skim walls to retain his speed, sooner than brake.

On many tracks just reducing the throttle can be enough also, DC allows you to get through corners unbelievably fast compared to most racing games.

This type of stuff isn't uncommon though. On PGR and Dirt games, almost all of the world records on enclosed tracks used to scrape walls to land better times.

farmerboy

I've just watched some these videos and although I say Driveclub is a arcade game I do think it's gone to easy to get away with stuff, I noticed that driving off track was gaining time few months ago and tweeted rushy, he did say he will look into it, however the big problem you have now is if they change stuff and make the game follow strict TT settings, all the leaderboards will need resetting, I actually don't mind that, I remember when project reset there's I was fuming untill I played it and every corner cut was fixed, i agree that if you run or hit a wall and the slow down kicks in it should invalidate your time, I know on Oliver's landing you can actually deliberately get a slow down to get a faster time if done properly, I mentioned the slow down or hitting a wall should instantly invalidate your time a few times in the past, but 1 thing people need to remember is Driveclub is a arcade game, it's not a simulation like project cars etc, so I can understand them being bit softer with penalties etc, but I think maybe it's gone bit to soft to help the less skilled out.

Longest sentence ever? ;-)

I always thought it was a bit funny how the gravel was super sticky. You really shouldn't be able to go wide get a better angle, the benefit of braking and then a great turn in.

Gravel should have you sliding off and understeering like a mofo. In saying that, it's arcade after all, and it's always interesting seeing how the top guys exploit each track.

Cheers for sending the challenge DHC.

https://youtu.be/lQOLXOzjR2c

Well done bud, I just had a go following your ghost but couldn't get anywhere near your score, gonna try manual gearbox though as I'm assuming that's what your using there?

Stupid question maybe but can you see how many hours you've played the game in the in game statistics? Was just curious...btw thanks DHC-Shannow...i hate drifting even more than racing in the dark when it rains ;) j/k

I've never been a fan of drifting either but it's summat new to try to get to grips with :) I'm pretty sure that there's no hour count in DC unfortunately but fame is a pretty good indication of your time in comparison to everyone else.

Fk drifting.....just fk it up it's stupid arse!.....yeah, hate drifting,lol

We need more info over this too Rushy! ;)

3oFyD9yMfMG2yLGQGA.gif

DirtyLarry

Two things...

1) Holy Shit. I finally completed the base Tour and just finished the Legend Trophy. Even more impressive (strictly for myself, not you lot) is I never had to resort to the easier silver stars. I also was able to get all 9 Gold Stars on the Legend Trophy events. I am a much better driver in the Hyper Class than any other class. No surprise, the handling on those cars is damn near flawless. With that said, for myself, as I shared a few of my posts earlier in the thread, Camera View is everything in this game. Literally everything.

2) I figured more out about the audio issue I was having where sound would clip out completely. It is one car causing it. The McLaren P1 GTR in the Hyper Class. Sure enough I had the issue again today. That was the car I was using. That was the car I was using when I first had the issue. I quit the game, changed to another car. No issue. Switched the McLaren, was able to replicate the issue.
So it appears as if there is something with the engine sounds of that car in particular that is causing the audio to clip out on my end. So just curious, to the other members who also reported sound issues, is there any chance in hell you were also using the McLaren P1 GTR?

Okay, off to get some missing stars in the Tour. I have a few events I just managed to get 1 Star and it is time to rectify that. Camera view is really everything for any newcomers. As awesome of an experiences that cockpit driving is, if you are struggling with the game and are using that view (as I was), I strongly suggest changing it to one of the behind the car cameras. Really makes all the difference.

And to those people who do use cockpit view and are good at the game, I salute you. That is no easy task.

Two things...

1) Holy Shit. I finally completed the base Tour and just finished the Legend Trophy. Even more impressive (strictly for myself, not you lot) is I never had to resort to the easier silver stars. I also was able to get all 9 Gold Stars on the Legend Trophy events. I am a much better driver in the Hyper Class than any other class. No surprise, the handling on those cars is damn near flawless. With that said, for myself, as I shared a few of my posts earlier in the thread, Camera View is everything in this game. Literally everything.

And to those people who do use cockpit view and are good at the game, I salute you. That is no easy task.

Glad to see you enjoying the game Larry, simply one of the most consuming racers I've played in years and it never ceases to amaze me with the graphics.

So it appears as if there is something with the engine sounds of that car in particular that is causing the audio to clip out on my end. So just curious, to the other members who also reported sound issues, is there any chance in hell you were also using the McLaren P1 GTR?

Driveclub is the only game where occasionally the audio cuts out. For me it also happens with other cars then the McLaren P1 but it's very very rare.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Rushy looking into stopping people bouncing off walls to get an advantage:

Paul Rustchynsky @Rushy33

@KyleKayGaming Bouncing off walls isn't deemed 'fair' but at the moment this isn't actively punished in game as it should be.
9:21 AM - 18 Jan 2016

@KyleKayGaming It's an area we are considering looking at.
12:58 PM - 18 Jan 2016

Shaneus

Rushy looking into stopping people bouncing off walls to get an advantage:

@KyleKayGaming Bouncing off walls isn't deemed 'fair' but at the moment this isn't actively punished in game as it should be.
9:21 AM - 18 Jan 2016

@KyleKayGaming It's an area we are considering looking at.
12:58 PM - 18 Jan 2016
I like the sound of that! Hopefully it's easy to apply retroactively, too... the top racers all have ghosts, so maybe they'll be recorded as having dirty laps (or not).

hccore

Neo Member
Rushy i have this awesome bug, where i choose random event and i get to an event with dynamic wheater, and then i go to single event and don't change the option from dynamic, i start any event with wet road and it wont rain ever. So can u guys give us an option to start with wet road, if not just don't fix this bug!

sorry for the poor english!

Challenge etc. probably needs the Season Pass? Bought it in February 15, played a while and liked it, but stopped. Gone back last weekend and played 8 hrs straight, it got its hooks into me since then. Fantastic game. Hesitant buy the SP though. Got 215 starsin the tour, around 30 on Ignition and 25 on PhotoFinish, but with the weather effects and all, my enjoyment might tampered with my current skill level, hm.

Yeah, unfortunately the current challenge uses a season pass car. I think Evolution changed it a while ago so that you can play tour events with cars you don't own, but i don't think that applies to challenges. Probably not, but i'm sure DHC will be glad to make a more inclusive challenge next time, so that even those without the season pass will be able to participate. :)

Rushy i have this awesome bug, where i choose random event and i get to an event with dynamic wheater, and then i go to single event and don't change the option from dynamic, i start any event with wet road and it wont rain ever. So can u guys give us an option to start with wet road, if not just don't fix this bug!

sorry for the poor english!

Now you've done it, watch them remove it with the next patch! :p
But yes, i've noticed that too occasionally, would be nice to have as a regular weather option.

Bouniter

Thanks for the invite just had a good go at the challenge.... reminded me why I really don't like drift events that much.

Even after managing to get into 3rd I do not understand how its awarding points for the second drift in the first zone. What I feel are my better drifts net me a total of 1300-1400 points for the zone, while what I'd consider some lacklustre drifts seemingly randomly net me just over 2000.

I just don't understand...

Thanks for the invite just had a good go at the challenge.... reminded me why I really don't like drift events that much.

Even after managing to get into 3rd I do not understand how its awarding points for the second drift in the first zone. What I feel are my better drifts net me a total of 1300-1400 points for the zone, while what I'd consider some lacklustre drifts seemingly randomly net me just over 2000.

I believe it's about the angle (closest to 45 degrees?) and speed but I'm not sure, maybe Pdogg can enlighten us? :)

Auto all the way, my brain can't handle manual drifting.

Oh right, tell us your secret then! ;-)

Yeah, unfortunately the current challenge uses a season pass car. I think Evolution changed it a while ago so that you can play tour events with cars you don't own, but i don't think that applies to challenges. Probably not, but i'm sure DHC will be glad to make a more inclusive challenge next time, so that even those without the season pass will be able to participate. :)

Yeah I'll mix it up so they're not just season pass cars used, I just kinda expect most peeps to have the pass at this point. I'll also be doing some bike events too so you'll need the expansion to take part in that (could do one with the superduke which you don't need the pass for tho)

dreamstation

Gold Member

There has to be some sort of delay after each drift or something. I've noticed it in other drift events and challenges as well, especially on tracks where there are a lot of back and forths or multiple corners in the one drift zone. If you hold the first drift for too long, even if you have plenty of speed, for some reason when you swing it back the other way you're lucky if it adds another 100-200 points as it counts up very slowly. However if you straighten the first drift up sooner (for less points) then swing into the next corner you will notice the points will tick up a lot quicker for an overall higher point tally.

Just had some attempts at the challenge myself and it's evident in the first drift zone. Again, if you hold that first drift too long when you take the second corner into the speed zone you get bugger all points, even if you are holding plenty of speed and angle. It's very frustrating.

Makikou

Wouldn't mind beta testing if you guys do come up with a better system of penalizing off-tracks & collisions, Rushy ;)

Oh btw, another shoutout to dumb, for these amazing driveclub screenshots which i just HAD to make my wallpapers!!

Bouniter

There has to be some sort of delay after each drift or something. I've noticed it in other drift events and challenges as well, especially on tracks where there are a lot of back and forths or multiple corners in the one drift zone. If you hold the first drift for too long, even if you have plenty of speed, for some reason when you swing it back the other way you're lucky if it adds another 100-200 points as it counts up very slowly. However if you straighten the first drift up sooner (for less points) then swing into the next corner you will notice the points will tick up a lot quicker for an overall higher point tally.

Just had some attempts at the challenge myself and it's evident in the first drift zone. Again, if you hold that first drift too long when you take the second corner into the speed zone you get bugger all points, even if you are holding plenty of speed and angle. It's very frustrating.

I thought this might have been the case, at first I thought PDogg was getting more points when neatly throwing one drift straight into the other (that would make sense right), but after attempting that multiple times myself it was not the case and a drift that would have been worth over a thousand points anywhere else is worth almost nothing. I then tried again after half giving up and just gently drifted round the first corner then again round the second, suddenly 2000 points.

I just could not believe that you needed to drive straight for a period of time in a drift zone for my drift to be worth any points, and frankly it shouldn't this is beyond frustrating and just a downright broken scoring system.

Though personally I believe the whole drift scoring system needs completely remodelling.

Auctopus

Wouldn't mind beta testing if you guys do come up with a better system of penalizing off-tracks & collisions, Rushy ;)

Oh btw, another shoutout to dumb, for these amazing driveclub screenshots which i just HAD to make my wallpapers!!

Yeah, he's killing it. That first one especially.

Gorgeous OT, good job guys. I'm nowhere near as big a Driveclub fan as a lot of guys here, but I'm slowly working my way towards the Platinum and have very much enjoyed my time with the game (
except the bloody drift events...
). Love the tagline 'Evolved' as well. Seems so perfect for DC. Are the city tracks really happening? And is there any word on a second season pass?

Auctopus

Gorgeous OT, good job guys. I'm nowhere near as big a Driveclub fan as a lot of guys here, but I'm slowly working my way towards the Platinum and have very much enjoyed my time with the game (
except the bloody drift events...
). Love the tagline 'Evolved' as well. Seems so perfect for DC. Are the city tracks really happening? And is there any word on a second season pass?

City tracks are 100% coming: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/12/22/city-tracks-teased-for-driveclub-coming-in-2016

Rushy has also said the February update will have a lot of stuff but information about it will be trickled out.

PDogg

Neo Member
I thought this might have been the case, at first I thought PDogg was getting more points when neatly throwing one drift straight into the other (that would make sense right), but after attempting that multiple times myself it was not the case and a drift that would have been worth over a thousand points anywhere else is worth almost nothing. I then tried again after half giving up and just gently drifted round the first corner then again round the second, suddenly 2000 points.

I just could not believe that you needed to drive straight for a period of time in a drift zone for my drift to be worth any points, and frankly it shouldn't this is beyond frustrating and just a downright broken scoring system.

Though personally I believe the whole drift scoring system needs completely remodelling.

This has happened since I can remember on the drifting, only some corners/courses are affected though. There's also a bug whereby if you cut the corner at a really good drift angle, sometimes as you hit the apex the score just stops going up for a second or two and it ruins the corner and invariably the run, it's very inconsistent. With the specific issue in this challenge, I honestly spent ages getting annoyed at it months ago, you have to make a conscious effort to end the first drift on the corners affected, typically I tap the brake to straighten up as it usually means drift 2 scores better. I edited my post above earlier when I beat the original high score but it might have been lost so here it is again - https://youtu.be/TlmCk8yp3oY

The trick to scoring is to start drifting from as far away from the zone as possible and keep as much speed as you can (as well as overcoming the bugged scoring in the first zone). Hold the car at the right drift angle as long as possible for the best scores, it's why people smash into walls because it gives them additional time travelling at the correct angle at high speed which always scores higher.

I have played very little else except the drifting since the game came out and it's a shame it's hated on so much because when it works it's amazing. They really need to look at the wall hitting, multiple drifts per zone, lack of any penalty for dropping below a certain speed and then the 2 buggy scoring things discussed here though, as it stands to new people it's a bit of a mess.

AbandonedTrolley, the second to last bend is the key, try drifting a little earlier, catch it at a more shallow angle and traverse the corner directly across the apex, rather than drifting round the final bend so much. See my recent video for where you could pick up those few extra points.

Top Bottom