• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Goldrusher

Is Goldrusher a gaffer?
giphy.gif

Karu

Well, I bit and bought the Season Pass.

What might not seem like a big deal as its only 13 bucks... like... come on. But I never buy DLC. Never*. Not even for my favourite games of alltime, Mass Effect 2 or Bloodborne. Bioware burnt me with their stupid Bioware Point-System, Ubisoft burnt me with forced AssCreed 2 DLC on the GotY-version that I had to play in order to finish the game (That pissed me off so, so much, omg) and so on.

Well, long story short... cool, will play this game for a bit longer then. :D

If there's a list of active players, a Community on PS4 or in general for non-Bike challenges - I'm in. PSN: karu_urak

Hang on to that, I'm sure you'll be needing it again soon :)

One thing I will say about this game, is the 'clubs system' is something that never really worked. Evolution argued the 6 man capacity when the game came out, but it's been much more of a limitation than it has ever been an asset.

They should have been more flexible.

Jeez man do you ever have anything positive to say about the game? ;-)

For me the club side has been great, we have 5 gaffers in there who are all active pretty much and has been an added incentive to get online and play. Whenever new stuff comes out there'll be 4 or 5 of us in a session - I'd call them mates and I knew none of them before DC...

Nice one, I'll send you the challenge when I get back online :) Talking of which are we keeping this gaf only or open to public? I've had SaberWolf on who took part in a couple of the rallies but isn't a gaffer.

drotahorror

Stingray Ken? Hes not spinning out, that's actually an amazing drift, first time I've seen someone drift all the way round that corner through the speed zone and through the second drift zone. In all honesty it's really really difficult to do, it's not really foul play but I guess the score isnt legit in one sense as he crashes out.

The other Evo challenge is a shambles:

https://youtu.be/3WqDyuI6N9k

I

The drift was good and probably took plenty of attempts but in the end he just spun out I'm pretty sure.

The other one you posted was straight BS though. I watched him too.

One thing I will say about this game, is the 'clubs system' is something that never really worked. Evolution argued the 6 man capacity when the game came out, but it's been much more of a limitation than it has ever been an asset.

They should have been more flexible.
I agree. It'd be nice if we can have one club for this OT. Sending out challenges would be much easier I'm sure.

BraXzy

So me and a couple buddies have gotten back into Driveclub. Persuaded one of them to pick it up since it was on sale so we've been playing a little bit the past couple days, sent out some challenges to get things rolling.

vMd3WdY.jpg

(It's so damn hard to get images from the PS4 to the internet without having to tweet, Xbox DVR is so much simpler which is a shame).

I was first behind by 0.02, I think I just beat him by 0.003 right? Insane!

Shaneus

I think the size of the clubs is perfect, but how they're actually utilised isn't. More could be done with club vs. club challenges, particularly asynchronous ones that don't require all club members from both rival teams to be online at the same time. Say, one player from each team (nominated by that team) creates a ghost with a set car and the members of the opposing team have to catch it in a different car. Like cat and mouse, but friendlier to lag etc. :)

Got to say I'm preferring using Bikes online these days as there's far too much of this happening to me with cars :-(

https://youtu.be/kRb-CqIl5Z4

The guy goes invisible twice after ramming me from behind so you can see the measures Evo are putting in place, but the first time he goes straight through me while the second he still puts me in the wall.

I never really managed to get past the first corner. Didn't 3-star Venom Hot Lap either. Never know how to drive those drifty weirdos.

They take patience and perseverance but like R_Thanatos says, they're rewarding when you finally beat them. Maybe this will help..

https://youtu.be/U0BzyiBwKAo

So me and a couple buddies have gotten back into Driveclub. Persuaded one of them to pick it up since it was on sale so we've been playing a little bit the past couple days, sent out some challenges to get things rolling.

vMd3WdY.jpg

(It's so damn hard to get images from the PS4 to the internet without having to tweet, Xbox DVR is so much simpler which is a shame).

I was first behind by 0.02, I think I just beat him by 0.003 right? Insane!

Could always just plus in a USB drive and put it on there and upload to a host? Or send to a second PSN account and download using the mobile app then upload?

xrnzaaas

Kinda embarrasing thing happened to me yesterday. I booted up the console in the evening and it started downloading a huge patch for Project CARS. I know by now that the console's interface slows down when that happens, because it's trying to check the current files in the background and download new ones. I'm not a patient guy so I don't like when a new menu takes longer to load. I had to change the screenshot settings, but they weren't loading immediately so I kept pushing the buttons to speed it up. Eventually the GUI caught up and I started playing Driveclub. But the thing is it takes forever to connect to DC servers and it's impossible to connect to multiplayer races. I thought to myself it's probably my ISP acting up again and started playing singleplayer tours. At the end of one of the races I hear some guy's voice commending me for good driving and I think to myself WTF. Turns out I was broadcasting gameplay the entire time and it was all working so slow, because I have a horrible upload and I can't stream anything. XD

In other news, got really close to DHC-Shannow in this AMG time trial. :) It was probably the most difficult one from the AMG tour as you needed to have 2 out of 3 clear sectors, in heavy rain, in a vehicle that's not so easy to control. Anyway I'm back to 100% completion in DC. :)
111abu08.jpg

I never really managed to get past the first corner. Didn't 3-star Venom Hot Lap either. Never know how to drive those drifty weirdos.

In addition to the excellent video DHC posted, here's also a great beat by beat breakdown of the Venom Hot Lap in text form, also by a GAFer:

https://boingbb.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/driveclub-how-to-beat-the-venom-hot-lap-tour-event/

When you can do this, Venom Hot Lap 2 will feel much easier as well. Apart from nailing the corners, the most important thing is to learn proper throttle control. If your backside is swerving and the tires are squealing when you're exiting a corner, you're adding too much gas. Use the full range of the R2 button.

In addition to the excellent video DHC posted, here's also a great beat by beat breakdown of the Venom Hot Lap in text form, also by a GAFer:

https://boingbb.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/driveclub-how-to-beat-the-venom-hot-lap-tour-event/

When you can do this, Venom Hot Lap 2 will feel much easier as well. Apart from nailing the corners, the most important thing is to learn proper throttle control. If your backside is swerving and the tires are squealing when you're exiting a corner, you're adding too much gas. Use the full range of the R2 button.

I never understand how to drive drifty cars, the only way I can consistently get around a corner with those cars is the slowest way by letting of gas completely. I haven't bother playing any time trial events with drifty cars since finish the main campaign, have thrown the controller way too many times out of frustration.

I never understand how to drive drifty cars, the only way I can consistently get around a corner with those cars is the slowest way by letting of gas completely. I haven't bother playing any time trial events with drifty cars since finish the main campaign, have thrown the controller way too many times out of frustration.

It certainly makes sense to let go off the gas if you're losing traction, since keeping it pressed will only make matters worse. I was absolutely awful with super and hyper cars when i got the game and flew off the track at every bend of the road, i even came here asking for help, but with time i grew into it. As i said, managing throttle is very important. Depending on the corner, either just step off the gas for a moment a sail through it, or brake hard before it, if it's a hard bend, then feather (a few short taps) the gas as you're making your way through it and don't step fully on the gas until you've straightened the car out. Even then, if your wheels are squealing, you're overdoing it, so add a little less power. It's a combination of understanding the car's behavior and practicing your responses to these situations. I'm an average player, but still managed to get good enough to beat all the tour and elite challenges with a bit of patience.

Jeez man do you ever have anything positive to say about the game? ;-)

For me the club side has been great, we have 5 gaffers in there who are all active pretty much and has been an added incentive to get online and play. Whenever new stuff comes out there'll be 4 or 5 of us in a session - I'd call them mates and I knew none of them before DC...

Sorry to come across that way. I do like Driveclub. It's polished racer with a lot of content, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the genre, though it isn't without its criticisms, and I tend to be more critical of games I've played a decent amount of.

It's cool that you enjoy clubs as they are, but providing people with the option to flexibly create clubs that were smaller or larger, would have not prevented you guys from having the experiences that you have had. Yet restricting larger clubs made the game counterintuitive for larger, especially pre-existing communities.

It's not the biggest problem in the world, but it's a pain nonetheless, in my opinion.

In other news, got really close to DHC-Shannow in this AMG time trial. :) It was probably the most difficult one from the AMG tour as you needed to have 2 out of 3 clear sectors, in heavy rain, in a vehicle that's not so easy to control. Anyway I'm back to 100% completion in DC. :)
http://abload.de/img/111abu08.jpg

That was quite the trial. Spend a lot of time on it because of the clean sections. Love the car though! One of my favorites.

T_Exige

I know this has been asked in the past, but why don't people/friends show up in the leaderboards? You have to click on it to show more people, is it because they are not active for some time?

You can add me if you want, I have been playing since release.

Greenymac

Can anyone give me any drifting tips? Im terrible at it and just dont grasp the concept. Using a wheel and pedals set instead of the pad with all assists turned off.

Sorry to come across that way. I do like Driveclub. It's polished racer with a lot of content, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the genre, though it isn't without its criticisms, and I tend to be more critical of games I've played a decent amount of.

It's cool that you enjoy clubs as they are, but providing people with the option to flexibly create clubs that were smaller or larger, would have not prevented you guys from having the experiences that you have had. Yet restricting larger clubs made the game counterintuitive for larger, especially pre-existing communities.

It's not the biggest problem in the world, but it's a pain nonetheless, in my opinion.

Fair enough, I think the club size is to suit the 12 player online limit. I guess are larger club size would reduce the need to replace inactive players but I personally wouldn't want to see a massive gaf club for example - keeping club sizes relatively small means you know your team mates.

What is a bit odd is that for a game that is made around clubs you only really see club names on challenges - online all you see is an icon on the results screen. If my club has taken the first 3 places it'd be nice to see more made of that.

I know this has been asked in the past, but why don't people/friends show up in the leaderboards? You have to click on it to show more people, is it because they are not active for some time?

I believe it could be to reduce server load, just my theory.

111abu08.jpg

Hehe those two thousandths of a second make all the difference :) We really do need a current player list as having that competition on the leaderboards really gives you an incentive to go back and improve your time :)

I've had this game less than a week and really enjoying it but I noticed something whilst tweaking settings on my TV to get this game looking its best ...

What is with graphical issue that shows itself heavily in game and on the sky and even moreso on light grey roads/tarmac during the camera scenery pans before the race ?

It looks similar to 'Dirty Screen Effect' and had me freaked for a second that my TV was at fault (I have no issues in other games and have an all grey sharpness test card image that shows nothing but perfect uniformity)

I also took some screenshots on the PS4 and the tarmac looks perfect in a still image but when the GAME pans or moves the camera its there almost like some background colour banding or hazy filter that's working behind the image of the game - Its very strange.

It's also in photo mode if you zoom in on a Grey cars door and move the camera around you will see it. Check out the scenery pans of 'Tamil Nadu' on dry sunny day and its obvious on the top down view of the track shot before the race.

I even fired up the Vita in remote play to try and make sure it was not my TV and it was happening on the Vita also and the image appeared identical as I can see a circle at the same place on both screens.

Has anyone any idea what it is or why it's there ? Can anyone else see it - its fairly noticeable on the lighter rocky Chile tracks also.

Like I say I'm brand new to the game - so not sure if this is already a known 'thing' or I am the only one seeing it ?

Thanks

I've had this game less than a week and really enjoying it but I noticed something whilst tweaking settings on my TV to get this game looking its best ...

What is with graphical issue that shows itself heavily in game and on the sky and even moreso on light grey roads/tarmac during the camera scenery pans before the race ?

It looks similar to 'Dirty Screen Effect' and had me freaked for a second that my TV was at fault (I have no issues in other games and have an all grey sharpness test card image that shows nothing but perfect uniformity)

I also took some screenshots on the PS4 and the tarmac looks perfect in a still image but when the GAME pans or moves the camera its there almost like some background colour banding or hazy filter that's working behind the image of the game - Its very strange.

It's also in photo mode if you zoom in on a Grey cars door and move the camera around you will see it. Check out the scenery pans of 'Tamil Nadu' on dry sunny day and its obvious on the top down view of the track shot before the race.

I even fired up the Vita in remote play to try and make sure it was not my TV and it was happening on the Vita also and the image appeared identical as I can see a circle at the same place on both screens.

Has anyone any idea what it is or why it's there ? Can anyone else see it - its fairly noticeable on the lighter rocky Chile tracks also.

Like I say I'm brand new to the game - so not sure if this is already a known 'thing' or I am the only one seeing it ?

Thanks

Some screenshots would help. Are you sure it's not heat haze or mirages?

Thanks

Can't say I've noticed it, might be worth checking this though maybe?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883355

farmerboy

Thanks

Yeah I see it to. I think it is a dirty screen effect as I've noticed it more on Tamil Nadu and Chile as well. It's like a really faint dirty blotchiness. I think it's there to simulate a dusty atmosphere which makes sense on Tamil Nadu.

Might pay to see if its noticeable in wet weather as a dusty atmosphere wouldn't exist with moisture in the air or in rainy weather.

For the record I think it works well.

Shaneus

111abu08.jpg
Fuck that event.

Some screenshots would help. Are you sure it's not heat haze or mirages?

It won't show in screens - can be seen clear on panning shots on the white snowy Norwegian mountains pre race also.

To the other guy that suggested the Full/Limited/Automatic option thanks, but its not that as I never use automatic but it shows up in Full/Limited or Black level normal/low ... the effect remains in any combination of those.

Yeah I see it to. I think it is a dirty screen effect as I've noticed it more on Tamil Nadu and Chile as well. It's like a really faint dirty blotchiness. I think it's there to simulate a dusty atmosphere which makes sense on Tamil Nadu.

Might pay to see if its noticeable in wet weather as a dusty atmosphere wouldn't exist with moisture in the air or in rainy weather.

For the record I think it works well.

Thanks that's a perfect description of it - glad I'm not seeing things then, its definitely DriveClub doing it and not the TV as I was playing some BO3 earlier and went and found a light grey wall panel on Havoc and ADS'd and strafed side to side against it and nothing affecting the image just uniform grey all over even when moving.

I can't say I am a fan of the effect in DC myself, as I can see it on the road/track coming through when I am driving with the 2nd behind the car cam and it deteriorates the look and feel of the game rather than adding anything in my opinion.

I would love to hear why the Devs included it rather than having a purer cleaner image if they ever pop in here and happen to read this.

Thanks for the replies guys - appreciate it.

Just got this game and i am fucking loving it! I love how the game controls, how it looks, how it sounds... Everything!

Now... Tips for a noob? If anybody wants to add me I am wearafrown

It won't show in screens - can be seen clear on panning shots on the white snowy Norwegian mountains pre race also.

Hmm, ok. The thing is, i do notice some dirty screen effect on flyovers myself, but my TV's screen uniformity isn't that great in general, so it's hard to tell whether what i notice is the screen's fault or the game's fault. I never thought the game itself could be adding some of it. Well, at least it's just the game in your case. XD

dreamstation

Gold Member
Well despite not really 'getting' the Bikes (the free KTM felt WEIRD to handle) at the last minute of the sale I decided what the heck, maybe I just need some practice. So I bought it. Have had several people tell me they prefer the bikes over the cars now (not just online either) so hopefully I will 'get' it as well. So I have everything for Driveclub except that Erik Buell livery pack.. what why?!

xrnzaaas

I'm down to 2.28 on that event now - its a good one

Nice. I haven't replayed it yet so that time is from the 2/3 of the clean lap. :) I think could improve if I started to cut corners in sectors 1 and 2 (probably not by a lot though ;)).

Someone asked for screenshots. Here is a screenshot from my phone showing the issue with the filter.

This was a close up of a red Audi door in photo mode. Red shoes it off even more I discovered.

Someone asked for screenshots. Here is a screenshot from my phone showing the issue with the filter.

This was a close up of a red Audi door in photo mode. Red shoes it off even more I discovered.

Cars get dirty, if you took that mid-race, Damage -> Off removes it.

Maybe what you're also seeing on the road is dirt overlay. Can't say I've really noticed this effect myself.

Cars get dirty, if you took that mid-race, Damage -> Off removes it.

Maybe what you're also seeing on the road is dirt overlay. Can't say I've really noticed this effect myself.

Damage was off but trust me this is a static image that stays the same shape BEHIND the game image itself - even when you move the camera.

Also bear with me as I am at work sending that image on my phone, if I was at home I could take a share button screenshot of exactly the same image above and then take a photo of that screenshot on my phone from within PS4's capture gallery .... and then all you would see is smooth red paint as the background blotches are only IN GAME.

I hope that makes sense, its the best I can explain it. I really should have got 2 phone photos of the same image one live from the game itself and one of the screenshot in capture gallery - then the difference would be clear as day.

Thanks

Rushy

Sounds amazing, let's hope they do it right!
It feels great, especially on a wheel. Every car now has a new lease of life ;)

The hardest bit to adapt to is learning the new braking points for all the tracks, as you have to hit them much earlier and brake straighter too (although trail braking does help).

Top Bottom