• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

PrankT

It's $47 on Amazon now.

I saw some descriptions of open world vs. closed circuit. Which one is Driveclub? I'm hoping closed.

Quick gif showing how storms light up the race.

ColorfulGargantuanCicada.gif

Mabufu

Banned
I've been wondering for a while now, why there's no moon in this game = (

Some silver illumination at nights would be amazing.

hesido

I'm wondering what would happen if they never promised a launch PS plus Driveclub, and if the game shipped like this, around this time of the year. The brand is damaged and it'll be very hard to save that.

Flappy

Banned
I just read that they are working on AI tweeks. WOO! This is bigger news to me than any weather or sound updates.

I know that GAF is full of is a gaming gods who can win anything, but I am a mere mortal who is finding some event stars almost impossible.

I actually wish the game had difficulty options. It really does feel like a barebones game in almost every sense. So many normal game options missing.

Loudninja

Patch notes:
There's a new Game Update for DRIVECLUB. It's a small one (0.15GB), mainly supporting the recent server upgrades and enhancing the in-game audio for the dynamic weather systems.

This update also fixes corrupt challenges and removes the never-ending spinning load icons, along with other minor bug fixes and performance improvements across the game.

It's available worldwide now. More server upgrades and game updates are in the works, so please keep sharing your thoughts and feedback with us to help shape the future of the game. Thanks everyone.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/744802978937398

I bought the game on the strength of this thread and I haven't been dissapointed. The handling is going to take some getting used to as it's located somewhere between a sim and a arcade racer.

In regards with the ai I have had some really good battles with it and haven't found it that much of an issue

I've been wondering for a while now, why there's no moon in this game = (

Some silver illumination at nights would be amazing.
The moon is in the game.

Add it to the list alongside Fog and Mist. Rushy, sort it out fella!
You can kind of get mist.

Thanks to the elevation of the figure of eight Chile track and the glacier Norway track (if they had easy names to remember I'd use them :p) at certain time of day and cloud cover settings you can see cloud on track in the distance - however get near it and it'll disappear.

On the Chile track it is just after start/finish line and on the Norway track the S-bend area just before the up hill section. Can't remember the TOD or cloud settings though.

A Rushy tweet.

FzSEY6L.jpg

I really hope they reduce rubberbanding. It's the worst I have seen since Forza 4.
There is no rubber banding, unless you count AI slowing down if are very slow, to give you the chance to not finish last by 5 minutes as rubbber banding.

They can't covertly attach a nitrous boost to swing by you at a faster speed than is possible for you to achieve.

Flappy

Banned
That's great to here. Thing is l gave up with the Mortorstorm titles as they got too hard and Driveclub feels the same.

I'm so glad to hear this coming from someone else. I thought it was just me being bad lol.

All three Motorstorm games hit a MASSIVE difficulty spike near the end, and DC seems to have the same issue.

I actually wish the game had difficulty options. It really does feel like a barebones game in almost every sense. So many normal game options missing.
I don't know what to say about this other than the game doesn't have difficulty option in the way you mean, one that's a simple toggle, no. They want everyone on a level playing field to ensure the integrity of the challenges. Besides, if I can get through these Tours, anyone can. You don't need an easy mode.

Keep re-trying. Why do you think the re-load of a race is instantaneous? They knew people were going to be restarting races a lot. It's designed that way. The difficulty is part of the allure. Its adds to the addiction. "Ok, I'm just going to give this one more try!" And yes, you will get frustrated at some point. But that's when you just move on to a different portion of the Tour, a different challenge, a different solo race, or go online. Any and all of these contributing to your 'fame' and helping you unlock more stuff.

Besides, having an easy mode wouldn't help you get any better. Neither would a rewind feature, neither would a stupid driving line. Those are all crutches and you don't need them.

For the life of me, I don't know why evolution doesn't make a headset app. I just tried my PS Pulse Elites with the racing app only available on the PS3 for download since the 1.09 sound patch and it is heavenly. It's already good with a good home theater system, but the pulse elites, you get the roar of the other engines passing you left or right in the ear on the headset. Putting a little bass impact and the crashes make your head rattle, it is just a better experience. Inside the cabin with rain drops hitting the vehicle is a nice intimate experience as well.

Flappy

Banned
Besides, having an easy mode wouldn't help you get any better. Neither would a rewind feature, neither would a stupid driving line. Those are all crutches and you don't need them.

What if there exist people who just want to race for fun? Would these options not be helpful for them?

I would use a rewind feature if there was one. I don't have enough spare time in my life to restart every race when the braindead AI spin me out on the last straight.

S1kkZ

What if there exist people who just want to race for fun? Would these options not be helpful for them?

I would use a rewind feature if there was one. I don't have enough spare time in my life to restart every race when the braindead AI spin me out on the last straight.

same for me. 12-14 hour workdays dont leave enough room. at least give me the option to have an easy mode. i love the game, but right no it feels more like work.

I'd just like an option to unlock all the tracks and cars, I don't think I'm ever going to see past 90 or so stars, and to be honest, I just like ragging around in the hot hatches.

I'm so glad to hear this coming from someone else. I thought it was just me being bad lol.

All three Motorstorm games hit a MASSIVE difficulty spike near the end, and DC seems to have the same issue.
Many people have said the later events were a lot easier than the earlier events.

Count me as one of them, blazed through the last Legend events but found previous ones more difficult.

I'd just like an option to unlock all the tracks and cars, I don't think I'm ever going to see past 90 or so stars, and to be honest, I just like ragging around in the hot hatches.
None of the tracks are locked?

For you there's every other racing game on the market.

I don't know what to tell you. The game requires everyone to be on a level playing field. That's core to its design. If that's something you can't deal with, it doesn't sound like DC is for you.

By the way, I play DC solely for the fun. Its really not that hard, guys.

EA must love you.

Seriously though, the stars don't unlock the cars and they certainly don't unlock the courses. The courses are all unlocked from the start and the cars unlock as you level up.

same for me. 12-14 hour workdays dont leave enough room. at least give me the option to have an easy mode. i love the game, but right no it feels more like work.

The average event is like 3-5 minutes though. You can literally run an event like 10 times inside of a half hour in many cases.

Play the game and improve at the game.

Only reason the 'braindead' AI will collide with you at enough force to spin you out (which is actually very difficult for them, or you on to someone else, to do now) is if you drop the anchors and turn in way too early.

And that is something you'll learn as you play the game and get used to the cars - then soon enough you'll be braking at the right points and find out what the ideal cornering speeds are and you won't have cars crashing into you.

Expecting the AI to avoid you at high speeds because you broke early is too much in my opinion - because no human player would avoid you either, as evidenced in MP races.

In DC that isn't down to rubber banding that is down to the AI making very few mistakes and taking better lines. On Legend if you cant get near pole position on the first lap or first 25% you are never going to win. If you reach the second pack and you cant see pole then you better get battling for second as you will never see it, I have had more than a few races where I have never even seen 3rd position. The only rubber banding I have seen is on the lower difficulty levels and that is to allow you to catch up. Even on semi-pro you can be near pole in two corners and trounce the AI by the end of the race if you get a good lap, above that they will always be on you. Find the difficulty level that suits you and play the way you like. The tour mode is set up so you have to improve as a player.

If you feel like the cars are overtaking you too easily my guess is you are most likely loosing too much speed in the corners and not carrying enough momentum through. A good way to learn is go and play about in time trials and watch how the other ghosts take corners and learn from them.

Flappy

Banned
Only reason the 'braindead' AI will collide with you at enough force to spin you out (which is actually very difficult for them, or you on to someone else, to do now) is if you drop the anchors and turn in way too early.

This isn't actually true. And I've done a few tests (May post some gifs if I get chance later).

I've been rear-ended at high speed going down straights.

Now my first reaction to this is to think that it's drafting. However, after looking behind me, I've seen plenty of AI cars flying towards me at high speed that were NOT drafting. They were either too far back or too far to the left or right of my car. No mater how you take it, there is something wrong here.

Putty

Rushy recently tweeted that the a.i doesn't cheat (no rubber banding) but said the a.i drafting is too aggressive and that it's going to be tweaked.

Nothing is locked behind the tour mode, the cars are locked behind your driver level and there are no tracks locked, the stars are just different challenges for the events. If you want to mess about in hot hatches then play the single events, that is pretty much how I have spent the vast majority of my time with the game.

Flappy

Banned
Rushy recently tweeted that the a.i doesn't cheat (no rubber banding) but said the a.i drafting is too aggressive and that it's going to be tweaked.

I guess it could just be overly-generous drafting. It would be great if they could tone it down if true.

Putty

I guess it could just be overly-generous drafting. It would be great if they could tone it down if true.

I've not got the tweet handy, but he defo said that. For those that are having difficulty later mo, I guess this would make this a bit easier, outside of TT's and Drift events.

le-seb

The average event is like 3-5 minutes though. You can literally run an event like 10 times inside of a half hour in many cases.
Yes. And I'll add that I cannot afford playing games more than few hours a week, and it didn't prevent me from progressing correctly (even if I'm just a very average driver). Most of my DC gaming sessions last no more than 30-45 minutes, which is enough time for me to play a pair of tour events and try two or three challenges. Yes, sometimes I'll have to restart a single race ten times before I master the track and car enough to win some stars, but my whole progression won't ever be blocked by a single race. It's more that I *want* to win them just because (hello, Ruf Ride). Damn, I believe I've only unlocked 2 stars out of a shit ton of drifting events ones, and I'm not too far away from the Legend trophy event now.

For you there's every other racing game on the market.

I don't know what to tell you. The game requires everyone to be on a level playing field. That's core to its design. If that's something you can't deal with, it doesn't sound like DC is for you.

By the way, I play DC solely for the fun. Its really not that hard, guys.

EA must love you.

Seriously though, the stars don't unlock the cars and they certainly don't unlock the courses. The courses are all unlocked from the start and the cars unlock as you level up.

Well no, they wouldn't. I won't pay to unlock content. If I can't do it then I can't do it. It just means I give up on the game, and there's a load of content (that I've paid for) that i can't access because of that. I don't have the time to put 200 hours into grinding a game, and driveclub is too hard past semi- pro for me to beat with just a few hours a week.

Merun

I don't know what to think either. The AI has provided me some good challenges and fun in the newest DLC. Here are some recording.

Renault Invitational with Alpine A110-50. I had a dogfight with the Twin'Run AI and I lost, followed by my revengeance.

http://youtu.be/zVpYs06wLIY

Then the 2 last races of the Element Trophy in a Pagani Zonda R, rising sun with snow, and night with snow. I have restarted a number of time the first race of the video, but the very last one, it was my first try.

http://youtu.be/hwLDYwMlHYU

Also, notice who rams who in those video lol. Collision penalty are really accidents, I swear ! Also, I don't have a wheel.

The harder content are meant to be harder. If you are not having fun, I would suggest you to do some other events, or create your own event with the AI level you feel is fun. The only reward for finishing a tour is a livery and a trophy, so it doesn't really scream locked content to me. Moreover, whatever you do in this game gives you fame to level up, so really, it's take it at your own pace.

I just read that they are working on AI tweeks. WOO! This is bigger news to me than any weather or sound updates.

I know that GAF is full of is a gaming gods who can win anything, but I am a mere mortal who is finding some event stars almost impossible.

It does have difficulty options though. There is a Rookie and Amateur section of the tour. When you set up your own races you can choose what difficulty you want the ai and you still upgrade your driver level and unlock new stuff doing this. Nothing wrong with some of the arbitrary stars bring limited to higher difficulties, seems like pretty much any other game limiting some form of high recognition to the hardest difficulty.

Fog and morning mist next Evo!
I've seen fog on one of the Indian tracks. The one with the ridiculous snake corners. Set the time to early in the morning and the weather to overcast/heavy precipitation. I even have a picture on Flickr but I don't know how to post them on here. Every time I post a picture, It doesn't show up like everyone else.

so it doesn't really scream locked content to me. Moreover, whatever you do in this game gives you fame to level up, so really, it's take it at your own pace.

It is locked content though, Evo's artists have spent time on those events to make sure the weather, the lighting and the time of day change to bring out the best of the tracks. I'll never get to see that artistry, and I certainly don't have the time to bumble my way around setting up my own events on the off-chance I might hit the same conditions. I'd rather use my limited gaming time to play games, and not waste it trying to emulate events that I should be given the option to play no matter how rubbish I am.

Top Bottom