• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Code Veronica Remake is in development

xrnzaaas

I never played Code Veronica and seeing how poorly it aged I wasn't planning to do it now. I'd be definitely interested in the remake.

RE0 on the other hand? Nope. Waste of time and money. Even remaking RE1 again to become a proper modern game would be a better idea.

I'm a huge fan of Code Veronica, so consider me hyped, but sadly in modern day and age with whiney people offended by everything they will likely change a pretty huge angle in the storyline. Oh well.

Arachnid

Both CV and 0 are the worst RE games of the fixed camera perspective games. If you say CV should be remade because it was shit and needs an improvement, that also applies to 0.

Personally, I'm hyped to see Billy and GOAT Rebecca again. Getting a 0 remake before the 1 remake is a great idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO
What's funny is the game was Developed by Nextech with help from Capcom which at the time was own by Sega.
They also ported it to Playstation 2 in the form of Code Veronica X.
Obviously some deny Nextech involvement because it suggests the game wasn't actually a mainline game and the whole "it's the true RE3"
which it wasn't, it was always a spin-off title
The budget was lower then previous RE's too
Even the voice acting was poor for RE standards back then and it was the first and last of them as Capcom had plans for other platforms to receive their own RE Spinoff by smaller teams and help from the platform holder while the mainlines release first on Playstation per exclusivity deal
This... didn't work, Only Sega made the deal and the sales didn't show promise and it was later ported by Nextech to PS2 & GCN.
Now you could argue that Resident Evil 3 was just made to finish off the exclusivity deal and Code Veronica was the true Sequel.
But RE3 was handled by majority of RE team while Code Veronica was not and even outsourced to Nextech.

Shinji Mikami wasn't happy about this as he wanted an Exclusive RE on all systems and blamed Sony because it failed.
He would later come up with some other reason to hate Playstation but this was what did.
Obviously he would make a deal with Nintendo shortly after as he believed gamers would follow the games and removing the mainline games from the PS2 would be some sort of lesson to Sony which again didn't end well.
So, you telling me, with higher budget DC could had an even better version of CV?

Reactions: TGO

SkylineRKR

CV had bad gameplay. And while it was visually impressive in 2000, the gameplay was actually a huge step back compared to 3. And there was an obscene amount of backtracking too. The pacing of this game was off.

RE0 was just bad. Everything past the train was rather horrible and the tag mechanic sucked since you had to babysit and heal the other. Solo boss fights were easier.

Hum, I see CV:X has multiple console versions. What is the best to play today?

PS3 in my opinion. The one on PS4 is the PS2 classic which I would avoid. I thought the PS3 remaster was fairly good.

Arachnid

Also, Dusk Golem does not miss with RE. It's hilarious to see naysayers constantly shit on the dude when he puts out a Capcom leak only for it to be right. It's like clockwork with this series.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm one of the weird ones that loved 3 and Zero, 3 already got fucked and now Zero is being outsourced as well? C'mon now...

I get that the big Chris arc is 1, CV & 5. But Wesker appears in Zero too...

The worst RE game. It's so broken it can hardlock the player in multiple instances.

That used to be a thing in all games. I'd go as far as say it should be a thing in Survival Horror.

Arachnid

I'm one of the weird ones that loved 3 and Zero, 3 already got fucked and now Zero is being outsourced as well? C'mon now...

I get that the big Chris arc is 1, CV & 5. But Wesker appears in Zero too...

That used to be a thing in all games. I'd go as far as say it should be a thing in Survival Horror.
Separate Ways was pretty fantastic, at least. We'll see if that was just from this team super benefiting from the main teams work on 4 or not though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Separate Ways was pretty fantastic, at least. We'll see if that was just from this team super benefiting from the main teams work on 4 or not though.
To be fair Peter Fabiano(RE7)(RE8) handle the RE3 Remake and left shortly after the release of RE8 to work for Bungie where he can actually make a first person shooter.
I hear he wasn't too big on the Remakes overshadowing his RE series direction.
Plus we need more Claire
53891eb616c018ea51482b8f8976a52c.jpg

Last edited:
CV had bad gameplay. And while it was visually impressive in 2000, the gameplay was actually a huge step back compared to 3. And there was an obscene amount of backtracking too. The pacing of this game was off.

I love CV and i love DC, but that´s true...Gameplay wise CV felt still too similar to the 1st and 2nd RE, and that is because CV development started even months before RE 3(Aug ´98 i think?), so it was totally made under 32 bit logic, and the tank controls felt very dated at the moment of launch...The only evolution was on graphics (by 2000 the Claire model, with real time face expressions felt overwhelming at the time....or the zombies more detailed than ever and actually moving its mouth) and the real time 3d enviroments, they looked impressive at the time, but they used the same fixed camera angles of ps1 games,just adding a little bit of scrolling, so basically it felt like most part of entire DC catalogue and the first gen of PS2 games, a 32 bit game wrapped on "next gen graphics" (something very similar to what is happening with nowadays PS5 and Xbox Series S/X games). That´s why even by RE CV 2001 felt dated compared with the PS2 heavy hitters of that year and even compared with some DC late 2001 releases like Headhunter and Shenmue 2. So, the case was even worst if you went from PS1/64 directly to PS2 or GCN on mid 2000s, without living DC lifespan and PS2 early years...CV felt totally primitive compared with lotta games specially RE 4....Despite in reality CV had already the tech to offer a more modern experience, but was used under the 90s logic, so we got a great game for 99/2000 standards, which was quickly dated.

Doom85

But Wesker appears in Zero too...

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

I mean, yeah, he technically appears, but just to watch the heroes through some monitors with his good old pal William Birkin, debating on who will pay for pizza tonight, and then he fucks off being all, “later buddy, hope you totally don’t get backstabbed later on!” and doesn’t appear for the rest of 0.

So, you know, not the most memorable Wesker appearance……

Matt_Fox

Seems unlikely from a business perspective, these were two of the lowest selling RE titles.

Code Veronica 3 million copies, Zero 5.5 million (by comparison RE4 and RE5 both over 20 million).

I think these remakes would come with considerably more financial risk for Capcom than the remakes of 2,3, and 4 did (and 5 would seem a much safer bet on yielding a big return). But maybe they're so confident in anything RE selling at the moment that they're prepared to go for it?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Code Veronica 3 million copies, Zero 5.5 million (by comparison RE4 and RE5 both over 20 million)
A little disingenuous
Zero was locked on the GCN for 20 years
RE4 & 5 got multiple ports over that time frame.
If anything that 3 Million & 5.5 million suggest it will sell to a bigger crowd if Remade

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This game was so bad and so broken it really pissed me off

I powered through RE 1-3 wasn't the biggest fan but it was early 3D days so I gave a lot a pass

Veronica is when I started to legit hate RE (Other than 6)

Nothing needs a remake more than this game

NT80

I played Code Veronica when it first came out on Dreamcast and really liked it for the atmosphere, story and music. Graphically it looked good at the time too despite the switch to 3d. I also played 0 when it first released on Gamecube and never liked that.

SHA

And what's after all that? It doesn't make sense after releasing all remakes, maybe outbreak is the answer cause I love it as much.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There will be very little left of the original in this day and age.
But considering this is one of the worst RE ever, it’s all up to Capcom to miss the chance to make a better game. If the anime cringe, the horrible VA and the disasterrific global design of the old CV are wiped out like they should for a game aimed at the current western audience, it would require some colossal effort to make something worse than the original.

FWIW, I first played CVX on PS2 around 2001 or 2002, and I hated it from my first playthrough. The changes made to the DC version somehow managed to make the game even worse. I guess playing it on DC in 1999 must have been mindblowing, but once you got past them graphicz, the game is flawed to its core.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I find it way hard to believe they'd waste so much time and money on two remakes of arguably the two blackest sheep of the franchise.

Chiggs

Gold Member

I disagree completely. The backtracking does indeed suck, but 3 is a mess...the bullshit dodge system, the choices that mean nothing, the crappy bosses. I feel like I could go on and on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The worst RE game. It's so broken it can hardlock the player in multiple instances.
That's why remaking it is a good decision. Game is trash.

Remaking Zero though? That's a pleb filter game.
Remakes of Zero and Code Veronica? Nooooo.
The two worst ones.

Just get on with RE9 ffs.
Less trash and more unbalanced. And unless you know about video game logic of running around in a circle for 30 seconds then pressing a button 5 times at a particular boss fight, you could literally be soft locked at a particular boss
Both CV and 0 are the worst RE games of the fixed camera perspective games. If you say CV should be remade because it was shit and needs an improvement, that also applies to 0.

Personally, I'm hyped to see Billy and GOAT Rebecca again. Getting a 0 remake before the 1 remake is a great idea.

Sad Bounty Hunter GIF by DefyTV

C:VX is top 3 classic-style RE all day. This is not open for discussion.

Hum, I see CV:X has multiple console versions. What is the best to play today?
The PS2 version on PS4/PS5 is the best. Visuals look great. On PS+ Classics you can stream the PS3 remaster that uses MT Framework for lighting but the modern PS2 version still looks better, even compared to a disc-based copy of C:VX on PS3. I played through each version the other year.

C:VX is dope. Yes it has some unfair spots that gatekeep players and the story serves as the origins of RE completely jumping the shark in a bad way, but when it comes to the classic-style elements that people love with the OG trilogy, C:VX delivers in spades. People talk about backtracking like it's a bad thing and not an intentional and intrinsic design choice. Backtracking is an absolute requirement for a survival horror, you're supposed to become familiar with the layout of the place you're trapped in. I effing love the way good backtracking makes me think; planning routes, remembering which enemies are still around, it also usually results in some kind of effective jump scare that you weren't expecting at all because you're focused on the puzzle/path in front of you. The change in layout for Alfred's Island and Antarctica are so damn good, turns backtracking on it's head and forces you to find new routes and then backtrack through those. It's some of the best backtracking in the genre. The game is also filled to the brim with puzzles and inventory management. I effing love C:VX. Top 3 classic-RE for me but not for the faint of heart, you have to be a master at RE1-3 to be able to properly appreciate C:VX. Beating C:VX is a gaming achievement you can be absolutely proud of.

Zero is no joke either, it's the most difficult RE IMO, especially if you play as Rebecca whenever possible. I hope the remake ditches Billy and the leaches and just tells Bravo Teams story. That would be GOAT-tier RE storytelling. Give me a VR mode too, holy shit that would be amazing to experience.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Kamiya is cooking he’s own thoughts since he is legally not allowed to work in the industry for a year, followings he’s departure from Platinum. So maybe we’ll hear what he has decided to do for work towards the end of this year.
Hopefully he can pull a Kojima.

Killer8

Remaking Zero but not the original game feels like they are leaving content (and money) on the table. I know that REmake already exists (and is still the best damn remake of all time), but that game is itself around 22 years old now and doesn't gel with the over the shoulder perspective which the rest of the remakes have been using. Maybe they are reserving it for the 30th anniversary.

Odd how he mentions they did Seperate Ways and just neglects to mention they did the RE3 remake
which was a great game that i'll defend to the grave.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Remaking Zero but not the original game feels like they are leaving content (and money) on the table. I know that REmake already exists (and is still the best damn remake of all time), but that game is itself around 22 years old now and doesn't gel with the over the shoulder perspective which the rest of the remakes have been using. Maybe they are reserving it for the 30th anniversary.

Odd how he mentions they did Seperate Ways and just neglects to mention they did the RE3 remake
which was a great game that i'll defend to the grave.

Yes, they are a smaller team, so this game will also disappoint

Jesb

Only a year and a half ago a capcom producer said there are no plans currently for a code Veronica remake. So until I hear from them on this I’m not gonna get my hopes up.

killatopak

Also, Dusk Golem does not miss with RE. It's hilarious to see naysayers constantly shit on the dude when he puts out a Capcom leak only for it to be right. It's like clockwork with this series.
Big stuff like announcements,yes. He does miss on details though. I remember him saying a lot of stuff about RE3R that didn't end up being true. Like proper replacement for the live selection, huge sprawling city, asking if jill will say the iconic line to Nemesis at the final battle etc.

Astray

Now we get into the actually risky part of Capcom's strategy.. When they run out of the unequivocally good stuff (RE1-4) and have to turn into the most mixed period of RE's history.

Man I’m so out of touch with RE. Here I was thinking I enjoyed CV and it was a good game on DC. It’s widely considered to be trash?
It's very.. hit and miss, has some of the best ideas and puzzles of the series, but also has some seriously bad and annoying things about it too.

It's gonna be the most interesting remake of them all for me.

Watch them change Alfred.
Alfred needs a change imo, the voice acting really undermined how creepy he is in the og game.

Man I’m so out of touch with RE. Here I was thinking I enjoyed CV and it was a good game on DC. It’s widely considered to be trash?
It's the minorities and exaggerators that think it's trash. I'm with you though, I enjoyed as a kid and still do to this day despite is cheesy, cringe worthy moments.

gamer82

come on capcom res evil 1🥺 2-3-4 are done we need to complete that little quadrilogy. whats with the avoidance of switching it to the modern new engine :-( it's not like its not going to sell

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Now we get into the actually risky part of Capcom's strategy.. When they run out of the unequivocally good stuff (RE1-4) and have to turn into the most mixed period of RE's history.

It's very.. hit and miss, has some of the best ideas and puzzles of the series, but also has some seriously bad and annoying things about it too.

It's gonna be the most interesting remake of them all for me.

Alfred needs a change imo, the voice acting really undermined how creepy he is in the og game.
people really need to get over that Capcom could remake(god forbid pay attention to) their not so favorite games, both CV and RE Zero could get great reimaginings if done well like RE2.on the other hand when they took over RE3 it wasn't perfect so fanboys complained.

CVX has potential great settings,characters,soundtrack and atmosphere to make a good survival horror, they would need to redesign the levels but its good news they are willing to do so

RE Zero came out at a time when the fans were tired of the old formula and it was more of the same .biggest sin was coming out after the acclaimed Remake it has flaws,but its still a solid survival horror game on its own i realized when i replayed the lovely remaster, after the likes of RE6 itl thought "damn, Zero was pretty good after all" people complain about the partner system but its just changing the green boxes for whatever room you pick and higher difficulty (but still better than Sheva AI in RE5🤭)

They did a great job with Alfred on the Darkside Chronicles imo he's a psycho

As for why they focus so much on Remakes, if they do end up making these,i think Capcom figured out completing the Remake lineup is less risky than say continuing the Revelations line, , updating their old games, the new first person titles , mixing old school design or modern action elements, so far it worked very well for them and keeps the fans happy, if they want multiple RE games, but a new Revelations would require the same attention as a mainline game,(or else it will get mixed reviews), with Remakes at least they have a template to work on without needing to start from nothing(figuring out new mechanics, plot,characters,setting ,level design,music etc.)

Last edited:

Astray

people really need to get over that Capcom could remake(god forbid pay attention to) their not so favorite games, both CV and RE Zero could get great reimaginings if done well like RE2.on the other hand when they took over RE3 it wasn't perfect so fanboys complained.

CVX has potential great settings,characters,soundtrack and atmosphere to make a good survival horror, they would need to redesign the levels but its good news they are willing to do so

RE Zero came out at a time when the fans were tired of the old formula and it was more of the same .biggest sin was coming out after the acclaimed Remake it has flaws,but its still a solid survival horror game on its own i realized when i replayed the lovely remaster, after the likes of RE6 itl thought "damn, Zero was pretty good after all" people complain about the partner system but its just changing the green boxes for whatever room you pick and higher difficulty (but still better than Sheva AI in RE5🤭)

They did a great job with Alfred on the Darkside Chronicles imo he's a psycho

As for why they focus so much on Remakes, if they do end up making these,i think Capcom figured out completing the Remake lineup is less risky than say continuing the Revelations line, , updating their old games, the new first person titles , mixing old school design or modern action elements, so far it worked very well for them and keeps the fans happy, if they want multiple RE games, but a new Revelations would require the same attention as a mainline game,(or else it will get mixed reviews), with Remakes at least they have a template to work on without needing to start from nothing(figuring out new mechanics, plot,characters,setting ,level design,music etc.)
I'm not against remaking CV, I actually think that remaking that one is a far more interesting idea than most remakes.

Agree with you on most of the rest.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Man, I want them to maintain the same tone just for meltdowns. But if they cut the robotic arm scene, we riot!

Top Bottom