• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

As much as I am not a fan of EA, I still buy/play some of their games...this seems like a great deal to me and I definitely think I'll be taking advantage of it once it is fully out there. I would like some more details, of course, but from what I've read so far...sounds great.

Definitely interested. I'll sit back and see how it plays out to start with and maybe jump in later once the vault is bigger and more games are out.

I wonder if "the vault" games are available on your home console when you're not signed in. Should be but you never know.

If they give you the latest Madden every year, every single Madden player would jump in. I usually get 1 Madden per console generation, with this price I might just get it every year.

Bessy67

I like the idea, but I'm not sure there's as much value here as people believe.

If you have any interest in Fifa/Madden/Battlefield these are generally day 1 purchases - picking it up 9 months later when the next iteration is about to come out seems a bit weird.

It's basically just a repackaged season pass (early access) while trying to pull in some extra users at the back end who don't buy EA games year in year out.

Not for me.
But with the 10% discount if you buy 5 EA games a year it pays for itself, plus you get 10% off any DLC you buy plus you get access to the vault plus you get early access to new games. It's not for everyone but I'm seriously considering it.

now that I read more into this. is this basically "pay $30 a year to play last years madden?"

That + EA Season Ticket, yeah.

As I said, it's an attempt to neuter the second hand market at the back end of the yearly cycle. Most high-profile EA franchises are yearly, copies are changing hands as people await the new ones. That's particularly true for the sports games, because few want to be paying full price for outdated rosters.

Seems like you'd be better off buying the games on sale and then trading them in when you are finished playing them, which is what normally happens to EA games.

FStop7

Banned
The vault stuff is interesting, depending on what they populate it with.

But the "early preview" stuff... are we now at the point of monetizing demos? I guess we were at that point a while ago, with Xbox Live Gold.

Will this require a Live Gold subscription?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EA need to be a little clearer about when games might enter 'the vault'. Because otherwise they risk people holding off on purchases until they are free.

tbh I'd be fairly happy playing the year old version of FIFA indefinitely for that price, but obviously fans would want the new one and so would buy it.

it is a little odd to be on XBox only - presumably MS doubling down with EA after titanfall. But surely must be costing MS a lot to keep it away from Playstation?

Obscured

Looks decent. Those games aren't peaking my interest yet, but I'll be watching to see how it develops over time. One of the biggest things I was looking forward to with digital on consoles was seeing some different pricing models going forward. Looks like we are starting to see that. Definitely some questions to get ironed out but good start.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
We heard you like subscriptions, so we got a subscription for your subscription...
9YyNv.gif

manual4

Banned
PS4 gets the better versions of the games MS gets a platform to ensure they can still sell people on these games that are in some cases inferior. EA doing mad scientist work to keep MS in it.

all the sports game runs at the same res and fps and look exactly the same

Z_Y

Not sure why people so interested in this, it seems like a good deal at first but after paying for a year and a half, you going to notice you have payed 40 bucks +. for some sport games that they barely ever innovate on, some mobile game, and a still buggy battlefield 3.5 game.

If you end the service you lose 40 bucks for a game that you can no longer play.

or keep paying 50+ for a small selection of old games...

In the end the consumer loses their money and to play those games again you are going to need to shell out 20 bucks to play them again.

tumblr_inline_mg4mbsjHfP1ry4qim.gif

THat doesn't sound that good... 30 a year for 4 games... PS+ is twice that but it's 2 games (for PS4) per month...

if they add some new games then it is definitely an amazing deal.
i have buddies that buy the new fifa/madden/nhl/nba every year.
they could save 100s of dollars depending on quickly those games get added to the vault.

But with the 10% discount if you buy 5 EA games a year it pays for itself, plus you get 10% off any DLC you buy plus you get access to the vault plus you get early access to new games. It's not for everyone but I'm seriously considering it.

If you intend to buy the yearly franchises digitally, yeah. Otherwise, you'll save more than 10% at retail and more still when you trade in last year's iterations upon the release of the new one.

I hope this is successful so that publishers with gams I actually care about create their own ps+ style models. I know this will never happen due to the Square Enix tax, but I'd gladly pay $30 a year for their library of rpgs.

Do you get to still keep FIFA 14 even after FIFA 16 is out? Will it work like PSN + that no matter how old your free game is, you always get to play it with an active subscription or will they just be forcing everyone over to each year's new release to maximize DLC and micro-transactions? Will you get to play titles day of release? Pre-loading? If EA and XB1 partnership ends, do you still get to keep your games? Can you play offline?

Top Bottom