• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

I haven't bought an EA game since Mirrors Edge but my brother buys FIFA and a lot of EA games every year.

Yet he owns a PS4.

Great job, EA.

Just curious though - would he be interested in getting those sports games if he needs to wait until they've been out for 9 months (a.k.a they're essentially not the newest versions for long)?

If they add NHL then I'm in. Period.

Wouldn't you want the game when it releases and not a couple months before the next one comes out?

Rocketz

Whoa, I already sold back BF4 but hey I'll download it again with this. Plus I havnt bought a Madden since 08 so this is perfect for that.

Allforce

im sorry, am i missing something? pay $30 a year for 10% off EA games/content? doesnt sound like much to me... unless there is some other incentive im missing out on

Yes you're missing something, the entire ACCESS part of EA Access.

Does anyone even read OPs anymore is it just jump to the last page and read a random comment and reply based on that?

I'm guessing new games won't be added to the service right away, but rather after retail sales slow down. Also, they will no doubt rise the price on this over time. $5 a month is to get people in the door, which will probably be pretty effective. I prefer owning games, so this doesn't really appeal to me personally. It's interesting to see the whole "as a service" trend continuing to grow, though. Everyone wants a piece of that pie. I only wish Nintendo would throw their hat in the ring with the Virtual Console subscription service everyone wants.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
PS4 or I won't buy any EA sport game

So you pay $30 a year, and that gives you access to all games in the vault. August rolls around and if your subscription is still active you can get the new Madden for $55...Idk about that.

Granted many of EA titles dont appeal to me so whatever. Im sure theres a bunch of people out there willing to pay for access to year old or older games and a $5 discount for future releases. Meh

EDIT: And you have to buy the games digital?...Yea no

Celegus

People reacting positively to something EA did? I've really seen it all. It does sound like a good deal if you like EA games, sadly I do not.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Time to sell Battlefield 4? I am afraid that this will end up being fake because this deal just sounds too good. I will easily play old sports games, been playing NHL 13 the past year and I don't have enough commitment to buy anything beefier NHL 15, so this is perfect.

EBreda

Say, for a price of a new BF3 I get 1 year of BF3, Fifa 14, madden 25, etc, plus 10% discount of every piece of DLC?

I'm down.

Edit: plus early access for new titles. Holy cow it's worth it.

This has some potential to be really cool, but there a lot of factors that concern me.

For example, if you subscribe and then purchase Battlefield Premium to play all maps, once your subscription lapses, your Premium benefit is pretty much worthless; it's not like you can sell it back or anything. It just becomes wasted money.

On the plus side, it's perfect for certain scenarios. Like right now I was interested in picking up a FIFA game, but the digital price for 14 is still super high, and 15 is only a couple of months off. Being able to just pay 5 dollars for a couple of months to get me through the gap would be great.

Malio

Hey XBox One owners, you can now subscribe to our subscription service since we know you're paying for Microsoft's subscription service! As an added bonus, it's only EA games! And as an even further bonus, we get to decide which games it will be!

Oh boy, sign me up!!11!1@

fras

Banned
Wow people are so salty about this only being on Xbox One.. its too bad they don't realize MS are definitely paying out the ass to get this exclusively. Kind of like how Sony is paying out the ass for all the Destiny exclusive content. This shit happens all the time, and if at one point MS stops paying whatever EA is asking to keep it exclusive you bet your ass this will come to PS4.

They're calling it "vault" for a reason. Don't expect games to be added until next year's version has been anounced. And expect a new wall of microtransactions just for members.

Also notice that Titanfall is not there, being out for almost 5 months. Gives you a timeframe right.

Me? I'll buy FIFA and Dragon Age on Black Friday at half price

They will be adding more games and expect older ones to be rolled in over time. Also you get 10% off new purchases.

Also GWG gives you two games a month as well so the PS+ comparison doesn't add much here.

PS+ also gives you 10% discount but not only for EA games... And not only for new purshase (also additional discount during sales)

I hope this won't be standart. I don't want to pay my PS+/XBLG plus every editors subs to get access to content lock behind it

Cutebrute

I've wondered which third party publisher was going to be the first to do this. It seems like a logical way to keep people in their ecosystem. I wonder if Madden and FIFA will always be in the vault and how frequently they'll update their sports game roster. If FIFA maintains the same quality every year, then couldn't EA leave FIFA 14 in vault, even after a year or two, in order to maintain the higher profits on 15?

I'm disappointed that this won't be on the PC, as this is something that would make me pay attention to Origin. I also wished this was included on the Xbox 360 to some degree, because that would be an insane value. On the other hand, remasters would be another way to really milk this program and my bucks, because 7th gen EA had a more diverse and interesting line up than what 8th gen EA is showing so far, in my opinion.

RK128

So, this is basically this is EA's version of PS+? That doesn't sound that bad :); they put games on PS+ in the past too, so they know how to do this thing well (I think :l).

Five bucks a month (and 30 bucks a year) doesn't sound bad at all if this includes lots of great EA games every month :D.

For once, they are doing something really cool, so good job EA :D!

Gestault

I was also being slightly snarky and poking fun at people who think that because MS says "they still believe in the digital future", that automatically means "secret 24hr check-ins on all physical discs reintroduced without your knowledge gaming is doomed" instead of plans like this.

Ah, I gotcha. It's going to be interesting seeing how backlog games being added for something like this will be promoted. Not exactly a well-worn path for a publisher.

Yeah the full included games.......

It all depends on how extensive the vault is. Will they be bringing classic games to the XB1?

Otherwise if it's mainly sports games and Battlefield what's the point? They come out with one each year and people buy them the day they come out.

mike4001_

You all know the service only starts with 4 games in the Beta phase....

They have to lay out that they are adding at least 1/2/3 games per month. Otherwise I think many people will not buy the years subscription.

So its $5 a month for just EA games or $8 a month for all games with gamefly. The year subscription seems like a good deal but I don't see this working out too well.

Nah you are getting Madden 2012 that just got their server shutdown. Much value.

"Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off."

Its the new one.

Madden-15-covers.jpg

gcubed

It'll be interesting to see when they put up new games on the service. Like will sports games be put up a month before the next one?

If you buy a lot of EA games day 1 the 10% off would be worth it, but they drop price pretty fast at retail

Off/on topic, I walked into a Target (Canada) today and saw The Last of Us PS4 going for $40, much cheaper than digital/GameStop. It's not the first time either. I wonder how cost effective this 10% discount will be in the long run.

mike4001_

10% off 4 full price games a year is 24 bucks of savings, but the 30 dollar sub is 6 dollars more. yea no thx EA

Then buy 5 :D

But if you add buying 3-4 DLC packs for 10 USD per year, also adding that you are getting some free games I really think 30 USD / year is a really low price.

Afrikan

This makes Best Buy's gamer club look like absolute shit. Not to mention being significantly cheaper than ps+, xblg, etc

How is this cheaper than PS+? I'm presuming you would need Live Gold to access EA+...unless I missed something.

Also the wording in EA's press release seems alittle off. They mention that NHL 15 would get a 10% discount...but didn't say anything about Madden...but then quickly mention that you can get Madden and others 5 days early.

Are the 10% discounts for all EA digital games or not?

graywolf323

"Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off."

Its the new one.

Madden-15-covers.jpg

you don't get the full game, you get to play it for free a few days before release and then you have to buy it on top of this subscription

gcubed

Its the new one.

Madden-15-covers.jpg

You are glossing over the important word... Trials

Will be interesting to see what happens to the resale value of physical games. Maybe nothing, but it would seem kind of strange to spend $10 or so on a used game when you could have access to that and more for $5 a month. Pretty big game changer. Not a huge fan of the idea of SaaS for games but it is huge nonetheless.

Nzyme32

Kind of clever for EA games in particular. I imagine a lot of their sales are lost to pre-owned or because people find EA's usual pricing prohibitive. By doing it this way they can probably generate more from those guys while the faithful will be more than happy to jump on board with older games added to the mix later on for added value I imagine.

Edit: Although after the complaints of folks talking about never buying EA games at launch again due to all the issues, seeing the sentiment of "take my money" in this thread is amusing assuming some of the same people are happy to jump

Dante316

Yes you're missing something, the entire ACCESS part of EA Access.

Does anyone even read OPs anymore is it just jump to the last page and read a random comment and reply based on that?

The access part might be 4 games a yr. Which u can get it cheap for retail by that time.

Top Bottom