• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

mike4001_

Off/on topic, I walked into a Target (Canada) today and saw The Last of Us PS4 going for $40, much cheaper than digital/GameStop. It's not the first time either. I wonder how cost effective this 10% discount will be in the long run.

Ok ... but with that logic MS (and Sony) should not sell ANY game digital.

But there are lots and lots of people out there who buy their games digital.

And if they buy at release they just need 5 60 USD games and are even.

Not counting that they buy any DLC are may not have to buy a game at all because its free.

icespide

Banned
It's a fantastic deal what's so hard to understand? Worth it for the early access thing alone if you ask me.

it's the months that go buy where someone may not use it that interests me. for example how many people subscribe to netflix but only barely use it. overtime those charges add up

to be clear I'm not saying this deal is bad or that some people won't get a lot of value out of it. I'm just saying that a lot of people will sign up for a small monthly fee without even hesitating and then barely use it and that's fascinating to me

Ok so reading it a bit more....this seems very weird.

So for $5 you only get to trial new games and play older titles as they come out however only get 10% off the new game?

So what money is being saved here rather than just waiting for it to go on sale? You get to access older games but for newer titles you still have to purchase them for $55 dollars?

Am I reading this right?

Jarlaxle

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I don't need the newest sports games and generally probably wouldn't buy any anyway. There are those rare occasions though when I have a friend over and it's great to play a sports game. For $30 for the whole year I can just pick up and play any of last year's sports games sounds pretty great for me. $30 for the year with other incentives added in is really not a bad deal at all.

I hope this model takes off and other publishers adopt something similar to play their year old + games for a nominal yearly fee.

DNAbro

So its $5 a month for just EA games or $8 a month for all games with gamefly. The year subscription seems like a good deal but I don't see this working out too well.

But you don't have to return the game and can keep it until your subscription runs out. I would consider getting this just to be able to play with friends.

GunBR

This 5 days thing, will have some kind of time limit in the trials?
Because you can beat almost any single player game in 5 days (with some exceptions)

So I guess this means EA will not be having many PS+ or GWG games in future.

I also guess that means they aren't going to support PlayStation Now correctly.

Sounds pretty great for people who buy their sports games every year, but I can't help but wonder how many subscriptions are going to end up being available by the end of this gen because of this. Probably a lot.

I do think this type of third party subscription should definitely not be exclusive, considering EA's games never are.

I think everyone should take a step back and wait until the details and catches come out because you know, its EA. I get a little worried that you'll either don't get new games for a long time or the games will turn into a microdlc mess.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
This thing should be on PC. That way you actually have a vast library of games to make it a "vault". I have no clue how they are even going to do this on a system with about 4-5 games. I bet their shitty NBA franchise is pretty much a lock every year.

Pachael

Not bad - since this might eventually solve some of the iterative yearly sports update issues where players would be able to partake in rolling yearly FIFA for instance. (They'll bring this to Origin eventually, won't they :x)

Of course, Ultimate Team is different between versions and that's where EA's making more and more money...

it's the months that go buy where someone may not use it that interests me. for example how many people subscribe to netflix but only barely use it. overtime those charges as up

to be clear I'm not saying this deal is bad or that some people won't get a lot of value out of it. I'm just saying that a lot of people will sign up for a small monthly fee without even hesitating and then barely use it and that's fascinating to me

Yeah that's how these services stay in business. They make money off the dummies who sign up and don't take advantage well Well the smart consumers who understand how the subscription works will take advantage of it and save money

Quazar

Not the biggest fan of their games. But I give it to EA on this one. This will get more people playing their games and hooking them in with free trials/new game purchase discounts. I think I'm in on this one. $30 is great.

EA has tried this before with their early access sports passes. I remember playing NCAA and Madden early a couple years ago.

It's an interesting idea, but I would need to see what this vault is gonna look like in 6 months or so before I commit to it.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
No idea why this is exclusive tbh.

Money-Hat.jpg

flkraven

So this is basically the Netflix version of EA games? That's pretty neat, but it'll need more than 4 games to be a 'buy' for me.

Xando

They already mentioned the upcoming EA Sports '15 lineup.

It seems like you get a early acces trial for the EA sports 15 games but you have to buy the full game after the trial ends if you want to continue playing.
If true kinda disappointing.

Ok so reading it a bit more....this seems very weird.

So for $5 you only get to trial new games and play older titles as they come out however only get 10% off the new game?

So what money is being saved here rather than just waiting for it to go on sale? You get to access older games but for newer titles you still have to purchase them for $55 dollars?

Am I reading this right?

Pretty much what I read. Its really not that worth it unless you buy every EA game, dont care about playing years old games and like early trials...like I said....meh

Kaydan

Banned
I'm always fascinated how quickly people will jump onto subscription services.

I'm a fan of subscriptions, they just make sense for video games. If you are not interested in game collecting, subscribing to play a game for a period of time is a lot cheaper than buying it full price.

Nzyme32

There's no way they'll put new or even semi-new games on this. Those beta titles are just teasers.

The current titles - BF4, FIFA14, Peggle 2, Madden NFL, are not teasers, they are a confirmed part of the service and are relatively new. New Dragon Age and Mass Effect and other DLC or Premium packages are only getting a 10% discount for subscribers right now. Whether these or other games get included in future or when is completely unknown, sure.

shandy706

The fact that Titanfall isn't there and has been out for ~6 months doesn't make me too hopefull on when new games will be added.

I'd expect games to hit the service when either a sequel/new version hits or after at least 1 year.

This would work well with their yearly sports titles. I'd be willing to pay $30 a year to play every sports game released the year before.

The fact that NCAA Football no longer exists ruins this for me though. Ugh.

Kssio_Aug

I will wait to see subscribers impressions and till they add new titles. I already have Fifa 14 and BF4.

But if they intent to include every sport game of 15 series I will probably jump into it!

iamjohn

Pretty great business model for EA. People who opt-in will absolutely be more likely to purchase most or all of EA's games due to the 10% discount.

gcubed

I'm a fan of subscriptions, they just make sense for video games. If you are not interested in game collecting, subscribing to play a game for a period of time is a lot cheaper than buying it full price.

Yea I think it's a great idea to enjoy a back library, but a lackluster one for yearly installment games which a large portion of ea is

For now, its only a good deal if you want but dont already own at least 2 of those 3 larger games. So, meh. I was expecting a large swath of their portfolio, like mass effect, mirrors edge, dead space, etc. If they did that, make a netflix of EA games, then I would see mmore value in it.

It seems like you get a early acces trial for the EA sports 15 games but you have to buy the full game after the trial ends if you want to continue playing.
If true kinda disappointing.

Of course it's true. EA is not going to let you play brand new games for 30 dollars a year bro that makes zero sense.

That's why it's not necessarily as good as it seems. Battlefield and sports games are a yearly thing and people buy them at release so what benefit is it to them that 9 months later it's free in the EA vault?

Ok, I'm interedted. I expect games to be avaliable to play a year after launch but the discounts intrigue me. I wonder if I could have DwG+EAA discounts.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wait a sec...

So I can sign up for this for 1 month and pay $5, then buy Madden 15 or Dragon Age and save 10% ($6), so the service essentially becomes free? Am I missing something here?

Yes, EA got you to buy a full priced digital title for $1 off in exchange for one month access to an old back catalog of games that aren't bringing in any more substantial revenue. Pretty clever IMO.

Also I wonder if the $30 is a mistake? Weird that EA doesn't mention it. If Xbox Wire doesn't mention it then I think IGN was mistaken.

I saw an interesting question earlier, if you have these games because of the service but you buy DLC for them, does that mean you lose access to both the game AND the dlc if the sub runs out?

Top Bottom