• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, < powerful than 360. No $ 3party. [Tweets Deleted]

Eric C

I haven't used it but can't you also not link a Wii account and you have to re-buy all the stuff you bought on the Wii?

Nope.

Wii doesn't have a user account system, but all your eshop and Virtual Console games can be transfered over and played on the Wii U for free. Same for DSiware games transfered to the 3DS.

You can pay $1 upgrade fee for VC games if you want the new Wii U features but you don't have to, if you just want to play all your old games on the new console.

MYE

While I don't "root" for it, I don't believe there's a magic to Nintendo.

Pokemon X/Y would work fine on Vita and New Super Mario Bros would fit right in with the PS4.

With the more powerful specs, the games would even be better than Nintendo's current output.

As for SEGA, I'm not sure what "magic" they had. They still were able to make some great games as a third party.

So you are saying that if nintendo pulled out of the hardware market, they would somehow still manage to sustain every studio, every colaboration, maintain their current output and secure all of the talent that right now is paid and managed with their hardware/software business profits?
People expecting the Nintendo we currently know to remain unchanged during a third party transition are disillusioned.

And yes, SEGA is a shadow of its former self exactly because of the outcome of the Saturn/Dreamcast flop combo

If it's true its neither.

Its an opinion. Not "the truth"

Do you have a boss? Is he fat or ugly? Call him that on a company-wide email monday.
Its the truth, you should be fine

Next

I never ruled out PC.

Although realistically, could we really expect a Pokemon to appear on PC than a handheld?

No, but the same applies for consoles. I was just making a point that if you say that game x would be better on another console, you can do the same for every console exclusive.

Epcott

He didnt stop there

"Nintendo are still operating like it's 1990. They should have "done a Sega" and offered Mario/Zelda as PS4/Durango exclusives"

Well, I can't say many disagree with the statement. I've heard it before when people comment about Nintendo's practices regarding downloads and profiles (how the download isn't tethered to the user but the device itself), the friend codes from last gen and their slow catch up to HD. It's not like it hasn't been said before.

I actually think it's good that a member of a dev team called them out on it instead of "whiny gamers." It gives me hope The Mighty Nin will take notice.

But I don't agree with the "Done a Sega" bit. That was a little harsh IMO, lol.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Not offensive but dumb. "Doing a Sega" implies Sega had a choice rather than forced to go third party.

Wasn't it their 3rd console doing poorly or something? They could've switched earlier instead of getting to the point where it was forced. If Nintendo didn't have the 3/DS doing so well they'd be on way thinner ice.

So you are saying that if nintendo pulled out of the hardware market, they would somehow still manage to sustain every studio, every colaboration, maintain their current output and secure all of the talent that right now is paid and managed with their hardware/software business profits?
People expecting the Nintendo we currently know to remain unchanged during a third party transition are disillusioned.

And yes, SEGA is a shadow of its former self exactly because of the outcome of the Saturn/Dreamcast flop combo

Do you have a boss? Is he fat or ugly? Call him that monday. Its the truth, you should be fine

Nintendo don't need to maintain their current output. No one is going to cry if Mario vs Donkey Kong or Nintendoland or Game & Wario don't exist anymore. When Nintendo goes third party they'll still make all the big games that sell. The ones that don't sell, well by definition they're not gonna be too missed.

Coolwhip

Banned
If it's true its neither.

How can his flammatory opinion be 'true'. Gat damn. But I guess a reply like mine was the reason for posting it in the first place.

Mocking the product of a worldwide company and telling them how they should run their business over Twitter is highly unprofessional and childish. Case closed.

Opinions are unprofessional.

The only thing that dictates if something is unprofessional is the number of people not involved in the profession that decide to get upset about it. Nobody at Nintendo or EA is going to make business decisions based on some guy's random tweets. It's only fanboys who think this kind of stuff is in any way damaging.

Its pretty sad that you dont think thats unprofessional. Whether its has to do with nintendo or not. Any industry would frown upon such actions. What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Do you have a boss? Is he fat or ugly? Call him that on a company-wide email monday.
Its the truth, you should be fine

If the WiiU has less processing power than a 360 it's not an opinion. If developing titles for the WiiU costs more money then people make, it's not an opinion.

He doesn't work for Nintendo, he works for a company that has little to no working relationship with Nintendo and for all intents and purposes are now competitors.

Coolwhip

Banned
Its pretty sad that you dont think thats unprofessional. Whether its has to do with nintendo or not. Any industry would frown upon such actions. What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking?

I don't think you should take his posts too serious. Noone can think the Tweets he posted can be counter as professional and adult behaviour.

gogogow

The only thing that dictates if something is unprofessional is the number of people not involved in the profession that decide to get upset about it. Nobody at Nintendo or EA is going to make business decisions based on some guy's random tweets. It's only fanboys who think this kind of stuff is in any way damaging.

Okay it's not damaging, then why did he deleted those tweets? Hmm...I guess it was damaging his chance of keeping his job lol.

Opinions are unprofessional? WTF!?

JordanN

Banned

I never said anything about how they'll sustain their studios in a transition.

I'm just saying there is no supernatural phenomena that makes Nintendo a god amongst the industry just because they make hardware.

Give their teams the same budget and Pokemon X/Y wont be any worse on Vita. Same with New Super Mario Bros on PS4 or a PC.

I'm a sports journalist. This isn't a story. It means nothing to EA or Nintendo. Nobody at Nintendo gives a shit about this guy's tweets. It's only unprofessional if you think this guy has a professional relationship with Nintendo. It's like saying a McDonalds manger who says Burger King sucks should be fired. There's no consequence to his tweets other than the attempt to make it a story by the sorry bunch of hacks that call themselves vidya journalists

MYE

Nintendo don't need to maintain their current output. No one is going to cry if Mario vs Donkey Kong or Nintendoland or Game & Wario don't exist anymore. When Nintendo goes third party they'll still make all the big games that sell. The ones that don't sell, well by definition they're not gonna be too missed.

How ironic that a gaming enthusiast is the first to discard the underselling, quirky/small titles as something of little value.
Usually its the general public that wont give a shit if games like Sin and Punishment 2 stop being made, but there you go, they apparently have no weight when considering the quality and variety of Nintendo's output.

dream

Isn't it interesting that we're at a stage where some developers consider Nintendo fans to be completely irrelevant and inconsequential? I think that's the strongest indictment of all; they don't think Nintendo can ever come back, so they aren't even slightly concerned about burning bridges with the dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo faithful.

People on this forum whine and complain about no new F-Zeros or Starfox games - two Nintendo franchises that rarely sell. At the same time, the New Super Mario Bros series is also complained about for rehashing or whatever, yet does sell

A third party Nintendo would be making far more of the latter (NSMB/Pokemon/Mario Kart games that consistently sell) than the former (Star Fox/Metroid/F-Zero that don't).

You can express opinions without sounding like a 12 year old on a video game forum, FYI (hint: that was the unprofessional part, not the opinion itself)

gogogow

I'm a sports journalist. This isn't a story. It means nothing to EA or Nintendo. Nobody at Nintendo gives a shit about this guy's tweets. It's only unprofessional if you think this guy has a professional relationship with Nintendo. It's like saying a McDonalds manger who says Burger King sucks should be fired. There's no consequence to his tweets other than the attempt to make it a story by the sorry bunch of hacks that call themselves vidya journalists

That is a terrible comparison. Totally wrong comparison. McDonalds and Burger King are direct competitors, so you can talk shit. It's like Ken Kuturagi saying the 360 is a Xbox 1.5 or Forza guy smacking Yamauchi around. Did any of them get into trouble?

I would.

Those games are great, and no one else is making them.

How ironic that a gaming enthusiast is the first to discard the underselling, quirky/small titles as something of little value.
Usually its the general public that wont give a shit if games like Sin and Punishment 2 stop being made, but there you go, they apparently have no weight when considering the quality and variety of Nintendo's output.

Nintendo aren't the bastions of quality. There's a shitload of games that are as good as Sin & Punishment 2. If you own multiple systems those kind of experiences stop being important. What people care about is Nintendo's AAA output. A third party Nintendo can exist just focusing on the popular games that would sell well on any platform.

I would.

Those games are great, and no one else is making them.

Buy an iPad, you'll see a lot of people are making them.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That is a terrible comparison. Totally wrong comparison.

How so? They're not working together anymore, they're software competitors.

You can express opinions without sounding like a 12 year old on a video game forum, FYI (hint: that was the unprofessional part, not the opinion itself)

The way you say this you make it seem like he just said "Nintendo sux cox lolz PS4LYFE"

He said the WiiU is crap, gave reasons why. I don't get it.

Coolwhip

Banned
I never said anything about how they'll handle their studios in a transition.

I'm just saying there is no supernatural phenomena that makes Nintendo a god amongst the industry just because they make hardware.

Give their teams the same budget and Pokemon X/Y wont be different with Vita. Same with New Super Mario Bros on PS4 or a PC.

Then you don't realise how company cultures work. Nintendo has been a console maker for over 30 years now. You don't just completely change your company without drastic consequences. As people have mentioned before, Nintendo develops a broad library of games to sell their hardware.

On top of that, Nintendo and MS/Sony aren't a good fit at all. How many happy, kidfriendly games are selling well on ps360?

And lastly, Nintendo is probably working on a console/handheld hybrid now, so they aren't going anywhere.

MYE

If the WiiU has less processing power than a 360 it's not an opinion. If developing titles for the WiiU costs more money then people make, it's not an opinion.

What are you going on about? I was commenting on his tweet about how he wishes nintendo would go third party and give Mario and Zelda games to their competitors.

Oh and I also recall a EA studio saying the opposite about Wii U's power compared to PS360. Criterion. But whatever

He doesn't work for Nintendo, he works for a company that has little to no working relationship with Nintendo and for all intents and purposes are now competitors.

...so its okay to wish them failure on twitter? Okay
Apparently he disagrees though, since he deleted his comments ;)

You of all people should know how unprofessional his tweets were. I cant take you serious anymore. Thanks for sharing though.

Buy an iPad, you'll see a lot of people are making them.

Buttons motherfucker, do you use them?

Nintendo aren't the bastions of quality. There's a shitload of games that are as good as Sin & Punishment 2. If you own multiple systems those kind of experiences stop being important. What people care about is Nintendo's AAA output. A third party Nintendo can exist just focusing on the popular games that would sell well on any platform.

Name a better rail shooter then Sin and Punishment 2.

Name a better 3d platformer then Galaxy 1/2

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What are you going on about? I was commenting on his tweet about how he wishes nintendo would go third party and give Mario and Zelda games to their competitors.

Oh and I also recall a EA studio saying the opposite about Wii U's power compared to PS360. Criterion. But whatever

...so its okay to wish them failure on twitter? Okay
Apparently he disagrees though, since he deleted his comments ;)

You really took that as him wishing failure on them? It seems more like he wishes he could play the games that should already be available on the WiiU. Or wishes Nintendo doesn't get to the point where they have no other choice but to go software only.

If they aren't selling WiiUs, and no one wants to make games for the WiiUs, no ones going to want to buy a WiiU if there is a way bigger selection on the PS4/720.

JordanN

Banned
Then you don't realise how company cultures work. Nintendo has been a console maker for over 30 years now. You don't just completely change your company without drastic consequences. As people have mentioned before, Nintendo develops a broad library of games to sell their hardware.

On top of that, Nintendo and MS/Sony aren't a good fit at all. How many happy, kidfriendly games are selling well on ps360?

And lastly, Nintendo is probably working on a console/handheld hybrid now, so they aren't going anywhere.

Nintendo's hardware doesn't yield any advantages over what everyone else is making. It's just underpowered hardware at this point. You can take those games and they would work fine if not better on a Vita/PS4/PC etc.

The rest of your post is a whole other topic.

MYE

Nintendo aren't the bastions of quality. There's a shitload of games that are as good as Sin & Punishment 2. If you own multiple systems those kind of experiences stop being important. What people care about is Nintendo's AAA output.

What is this shit? I own multiple systems, over 40 games on each of them, and no game substitutes Sin and Punishment 2.

A third party Nintendo can exist just focusing on the popular games that would sell well on any platform.

Yes it could. And as I've said before, they would be a poorer developer for it.

The_Lump

Banned

It's not going to damage relationships between EA & Nintendo - But it doesn't have to be damaging to be unprofessional.

Nintendo's hardware doesn't yield any advantages over what everyone else is making. It's just underpowered hardware at this point. You can take those games and they would work fine if not better on a Vita/PS4/PC etc.

The rest of your post is a whole other topic.

Do you think a third party Nintendo will still be making Pikmin or Fire Emblem?

I certainly hope so, but this gen is has not exactly been kind to that notion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What is this shit? I own multiple systems, over 40 games on each of them, and no game substitutes Sin and Punishment 2.

Yes it could. And as I've said before, they would be a poorer developer for it.

Aren't a lot of the same people that work on the hardware side of things also dabble in the games side?

...Wouldn't they have more money and effort put into more games instead of hardware? ergo more than 2 Mario and Zelda games a generation?

dream

I think his point is that Nintendo claims they would shut their doors before pulling out of the hardware market. Which strikes me as cutting off their nose to spite their face.

But for all the talk of the company's heritage and how there's some magical intersection between their hardware and software, I suspect that when push comes to shove, we'll see Mario Kart Kinect rather than the company closing up shop on principle.

Do you think a third party Nintendo will still be making Pikmin of Fire Emblem?

I certainly hope so, but this gen is has not exactly been kind to that notion.

Why would Pikmin sell enough on Wii U to warrant the development but not on a non Nintendo system? Does Pikmin have to be on a Nintendo box for there to be an audience for it? Or are we saying that Nintendo just happily makes games that don't make money because it adds to the library of their console? Because that's not an especially smart business plan if those games aren't high profile enough to be system sellers.

Game Guru

So basically Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, and Kirby? Those are the biggest sellers for Nintendo. Stuff like Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, Nintendoland, and Game & Wario are the ones that will continue to exist, but stuff the hardcore gamer likes are the games that will never see another installment again, instead only seeing Nintendo port those games like Sega ports Genesis and Dreamcast titles and their token appearances in Smash Bros like how Sega's legacy franchises make token appearances in the Sonic & All-Stars racing games. A third-party Nintendo would probably have to downsize everyone at Nintendo except the EAD divisions, Retro Studios, Hal Labs, and Creatures.

A third-party Nintendo would essentially become the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, and Animal Crossing company.

MYE

Wait, you are a...

I'm a sports journalist

And I actually have to argue with you about why this is not the expected conduct for an employee to do on behalf of his company? A company already suffering from poor public opinion?

Shit, I dont even have to. If he thought he did nothing harmful to himself or the house that pays him, he wouldnt have deleted his own tweets.

Disagree m8 not much point in babblin' I guess.

I dont see how you can disagree that more choice is better. But opinions are not arguable I guess, so carry on

The way you say this you make it seem like he just said "Nintendo sux cox lolz PS4LYFE"

He said the WiiU is crap, gave reasons why. I don't get it.

Saying Nintendo should "pull a Sega and offer Zelda/Mario for PS4/Xbox exclusives" is pretty juvenile and something you often see here on GAF (not to mention Nintendo is "walking dead," calling it crap, whatever else).

I don't have a problem with some of his legitimate complaints - such as Nintendo platforms being poor revenue-wise for third parties (though I don't agree with this assessment, unless said third parties put out mediocre ports like Mass Effect 3 on it) - but that's only part of what he said. He had some valid points, but expressed them in an unprofessional way. That's it.

Coolwhip

Banned
Aren't a lot of the same people that work on the hardware side of things also dabble in the games side?

...Wouldn't they have more money and effort put into more games instead of hardware? ergo more than 2 Mario and Zelda games a generation?

Do you know how much money Nintendo made on the Gamecube? Wii? I'm honestly asking, because that's pretty important in this arguement.

The Nintendo 3rd party discussion is irrelevant anyway, we all know Nintendo will go down before they would do that. And before the time comes Nintendo would even have to consider it (if that time even comes, I definately don't think it will) the console industry is probably gone anyway.

(you are all making the ignore function useless with all the quoting!)

Why would Pikmin sell enough on Wii to warrant the development but not on a non Nintendo system? Does Pikmin have to be on a Nintendo box for there to be an audience for it? Or are we saying that Nintendo just happily makes games that don't make money because it adds to the library of their console? Because that's not an especially smart business plan if those games aren't high profile enough to be system sellers.

Besides next gen development costs? And Nintendo unquestionably makes full reatil niche games because of their status as a platform holder.

gogogow

Why would Pikmin sell enough on Wii U to warrant the development but not on a non Nintendo system? Does Pikmin have to be on a Nintendo box for there to be an audience for it? Or are we saying that Nintendo just happily makes games that don't make money because it adds to the library of their console? Because that's not an especially smart business plan if those games aren't high profile enough to be system sellers.

Yes, because Nintendo wants to make their game catalogue as diverse as possible. While Pikmin might sell less than a Mario game, there are still people who will buy a Nintendo console to play it, this means money in the bank for Nintendo. If they turned into a third party why would they care whether the PS5/Xbox1080 has diversity. At that point they would only want to make as much money as possible. Meaning a new NSMB, Zelda and Pokemon every single year, just like COD, AC etc.

nekomix

Oh, yes, 'cause it works all the time like that. Tell this to THQ or Junction Point/Disney, I think they'll agree.

Besides next gen development costs? And Nintendo unquestionably makes full reatil niche games because of their status as a platform holder.

Why do you think Nintendo makes niche games? What even counts as a niche game to Nintendo? Fire Emblem? Sin & Punishment? Those games probably have very low budgets and are designed just to be low cost risks hoping to make a modest return. I don't think they're made just because its good for the platform for them to exist. The fact they're niche means their value is lowin terms of boosting a platform. If Sin & Punishment 2 bombed (I don't know if it did) you won't see another one. They don't just make games for fun.

Hero

Kabouter confirmed that ClovingSteam was permed. Not surprised since he was on watch for the last time he was banned on gaming side. Guess the allure of righting Nintendo fan wrongs was too strong.

I can't say I'm happy that someone gets permed after repeatedly being offensive but I'm not at all sad.

Why do you think Nintendo makes niche games? What even counts as a niche game to Nintendo? Fire Emblem? Sin & Punishment? Those games probably have very low budgets and are designed just to be low cost risks hoping to make a modest return. I don't think they're made just because its good for the platform for them to exist. The fact they're niche means their value is lowin terms of boosting a platform. If Sin & Punishment 2 bombed (I don't know if it did) you won't see another one. They don't just make games for fun.

It did, terribly.

Treasure is making an unnamed game for 3ds though.

Top Bottom