• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Coast Throwdown | Fighting Game Tournament | May 18-19

ismk

DAMN IT! I can't believe I wasn't able to watch the stream today at all today and to see ChrisG dethroned. I have to watch at least the finals.

Frantic

I know everyone is celebrating Flocker, Zero, Strider victories... but it was really Vergil that pulled his weight the most in this whole tournament.

Dude went on a rampage and made solo comebacks on full teams. In terms of performance and presence, this was Vergil's best tournament.
Vergil is the most fair and balanced character, naturally.

Good shit to Flocker, beating Chris G requires all three characters to do some work on the field, and all three characters did do some work.

Unfortunately, he is still the only real threat to G.

Chris G still impresses. People were throwing techs at him hard left and right, he held his ground and still almost on the tournament. Hate his MorriDoom/Vergil team, but this is legit as fuck

Clawww

I know everyone is celebrating Flocker, Zero, Strider victories... but it was really Vergil that pulled his weight the most in this whole tournament.

Dude went on a rampage and made solo comebacks on full teams. In terms of performance and presence, this was Vergil's best tournament.

Seriously, I wanna see some character kill stats. Vergil does work all over the place, everyone else just picks up the pieces.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Chris G adapted too fast, and Champ's Morrigan wasn't good enough, so Chris G was able to pull it out.

"Adapt"

He was finally able to get a hit earlier in the last game if that's what you mean by adapt, but after game 1 Chris knew he had to chase him down.

Champ's dumbfuck mistakes are what cost him the match. Nothing else.

Dahbomb

Seriously, I wanna see some character kill stats. Vergil does work all over the place, everyone else just picks up the pieces.
Vergil's character kill stats are actually not that high... he gets killed himself almost as often as he kills others. Someone actually did character kill count or something similar (character survival rate):

point-chars.png

Warning... this uses very few tournaments for its data.

When you look at the toolset of characters like Joe and Morrigan you realize why they have such a high survival rate.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So, just to sum up

F Champ and PR Rog have a totally staged match so that Champ can test his new tech on Chris G.

Chris G beats out the tech because Champ is still inexperienced with the team, but it was close each round.

Champ throws a stick.

Chris G runs through the rest of the field in losers' bracket, then picks Mags instead of Vergil to fight Flocker, resets the bracket and then loses the next set.

I expected Flocker to win a major eventually. He always places high and always seems like a consistent player. Though I was actually disappointed by the first 2 matches he won in the last set because it was just pure incoming mixups. Though the last win he did get a nice happy birthday. I guess I just like watching the neutral game honestly, once someone gets hit it actually seems less interesting because you know the combo is gonna last long and that there's gonna be a mixup happening on the next character.

So, just to sum up

F Champ and PR Rog have a totally staged match so that Champ can test his new tech on Chris G.

Chris G beats out the tech because Champ is still inexperienced with the team, but it was close each round.

Champ throws a stick.

Chris G runs through the rest of the field in losers' bracket, then picks Mags instead of Vergil to fight Flocker, resets the bracket and then loses the next set.

Chris Jitters > Wong Factor

Amazingly, Injustice was the most hype finals. Marvel 2 and the battle of the giants FT15 exhibition Marvel 3 matches last night way were better then the Marvel 3 finals.

Dahbomb

No Yipes :(

oh well
Yipes is done unless he gets his head back in the game again. Its bad enough he didn't win at Toryuken and got trounced in the Canada vs USA exhibition... but his tournament performance has been lackluster as of late.

The hunger isn't there, he is too busy playing COD to practice his combo and muscle memory. Dropped crucial combos and made unoptimized decisions. There is no doubt that at this point Flocker is a better Marvel player than Yipes.

It can change, Yipes at his best can beat any one of the gods (except for Justin, he has Yipes' number). He just needs to get over the Zero, Phoenix, Wolverine and Doom humps.

The new 5 gods:
ChrisG
Justin Wong
PR Balrog
Flocker
FChamp

Champ made himself look like a fool in the finals. Body bagged by Justin and making the stupidest decisions imaginable against Chris G. Sure kill against Doom, I have 5 meters! Risk it all with a random super! Missed!, now I have 4 meters and Phoenix dies 2 seconds later. Congrats.

Champ made himself look like a fool in the finals. Body bagged by Justin and making the stupidest decisions imaginable against Chris G. Sure kill against Doom, I have 5 meters! Risk it all with a random super! Missed!, now I have 4 meters and Phoenix dies 2 seconds later. Congrats.

and don't forget the thrown stick!

Yipes is done unless he gets his head back in the game again. Its bad enough he didn't win at Toryuken and got trounced in the Canada vs USA exhibition... but his tournament performance has been lackluster as of late.

The hunger isn't there, he is too busy playing COD to practice his combo and muscle memory. Dropped crucial combos and made unoptimized decisions. There is no doubt that at this point Flocker is a better Marvel player than Yipes.

It can change, Yipes at his best can beat any one of the gods (except for Justin, he has Yipes' number). He just needs to get over the Zero, Phoenix, Wolverine and Doom humps.

He need to go back to that Nova/Spencer/Strange team. Fuck the "It has Strange on it " dude wrecked at Youmacon with it beating both Wong and Champ with that team.

Yeah ever since he left BT for da beech money, he has been completely out of it.

Top Bottom