• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

I am so glad that in TTE
the whole group is together!
It'll be worth the wait.

Hope you're having all the fun in the world in Japan Ben!

UrbanRats

Really don't get the argument Huber was making about player segregation.
If you fall for consumerism and marketing tricks, that's on you, if you don't really want an upgrade, don't buy it.
If the only reason you're buying it it's because the marketing man told you it impacts your worth as a person, you need to take a big step back.

Beyond that, PS4 was never the most powerful piece of HW to play games on, you were always playing "inferior" versions of games, since PC was there.
And there is no segregation, since the PRO isn't getting any exclusive game and they share the online community.

It's Kojima. Just him being here saying he is doing something, regardless of what this something is, well that is enough to hype Kojima fans. And they're all very much Kojima fans.

I can understand somewhat, them being passionate is part of the fun, but it's a bit jarring to me when put in the "journalism" light. I just have to remind myself not to listen to Easy A as a team of videogame journalists, but as a jolly bunch of well-connected gaming fans most of the times. Their reviews and more thought-out pieces do turn the table around well enough, it's just not the majority of their current output.

I mean, when I hear them going on "media blackouts", you know there's some part of the journalism workflow that's just not being applied, and it's simply not important at the end of the day.
Eh.

Journalism != "be cynical about the things I'm cynical about"

IMO

Really don't get the argument Huber was making about player segregation.
If you fall for consumerism and marketing tricks, that's on you, if you don't really want an upgrade, don't buy it.
If the only reason you're buying it it's because the marketing man told you it impacts your worth as a person, you need to take a big step back.

Beyond that, PS4 was never the most powerful piece of HW to play games on, you were always playing "inferior" versions of games, since PC was there.
And there is no segregation, since the PRO isn't getting any exclusive game and they share the online community.

Plus if he's worried that that's where things will go, why not just wait and see what happens? No-one's forcing him to upgrade immediately, just like no-one's forcing PC owners to upgrade to a GTX 1080 on day one.

Eh.

IMO

Pretty much. So long as they put their professionalism hats on when it actually matters and don't cross any red lines (like Ryan McCaffrey begging Microsoft for a job), who cares? Especially media blackouts, which are just about avoiding PR and marketing.

Servbot24

Banned
It's Kojima. Just him being here saying he is doing something, regardless of what this something is, well that is enough to hype Kojima fans. And they're all very much Kojima fans.

I can understand somewhat, them being passionate is part of the fun, but it's a bit jarring to me when put in the "journalism" light. I just have to remind myself not to listen to Easy A as a team of videogame journalists, but as a jolly bunch of well-connected gaming fans most of the times. Their reviews and more thought-out pieces do turn the table around well enough, it's just not the majority of their current output.

I mean, when I hear them going on "media blackouts", you know there's some part of the journalism workflow that's just not being applied, and it's simply not important at the end of the day.

Who cares, there are more than enough grumpy neck beards around to whine about being bored for a few minutes during a press conference. I'd rather EA do their own thing.

gazele

Banned
When are they gonna do brandon plays pokemon snap?

I know they've talked about it in a roundabout way, but I see it falling through as more games come out

Maiar_m

Eh.

IMO

I don't think journalism is that either. Like Jones once said, it is not exciting for videogame journalists not to get answers about games. It doesn't mean that they can't get excited as fans, nor that they are cynical, it's just what journalists do: gather information. And I personally like that better than the Kojima "let me tell you what a rope is" approach. I don't think it's cynical?

Pretty much. So long as they put their professionalism hats on when it actually matters and don't cross any red lines (like Ryan McCaffrey begging Microsoft for a job), who cares? Especially media blackouts, which are just about avoiding PR and marketing.
That is my point. Media blackouts are weird though. Avoiding PR and marketing is avoiding answers (and potentially reasons to ask better questions) about the game. It's very fine and again, not taking a shot at them, but as a former journalist, it must feel strange to actively seek to remain in the dark about a production in the field you are covering.

Who cares, there are more than enough grumpy neck beards around to whine about being bored for a few minutes during a press conference. I'd rather EA do their own thing.
... I love how you guys have a very disturbing view of what journalism is. Plus my post made the same exact point so simmer down - they don't have to be analytical or do fact reporting all of the time as it's not the point of most of the output.

I was precisely saying that when I hear them being so pumped about stuff I have many questions and reservations about, it's just fine to enjoy the ride as the show isn't about cold reporting in the first place.

Is that OK? Are we fine? Can I keep being a patron?

hiro4

That is my point. Media blackouts are weird though. Avoiding PR and marketing is avoiding answers (and potentially reasons to ask better questions) about the game. It's very fine and again, not taking a shot at them, but as a former journalist, it must feel strange to actively seek to remain in the dark about a production in the field you are covering.

This on a case by case basis made on a person by person basis. I haven't seen all of them going on a media blackout for the same game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

there is always someone to fill in the blanks when it is needed. Another good thing to remember is that not all of them do the same job as a journalist. They live in a weird limbo when it comes to their job description.

As someone who wrote for a website many years ago I can understand their feeling. It removes part of the enjoyment of playing that game. And if you don't have to review said game it can feel unnecessary to be on top of a game you want to be surprised by. Also there are so many game already. It is difficult to follow them all so why is removing one from your watchlist such a bad thing? We do it already for games we aren't interested in.

Sure discussions can be difficult but that is something that can be worked around.

Maiar_m

This on a case by case basis made on a person by person basis. I haven't seen all of them going on a media blackout for the same game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

there is always someone to fill in the blanks when it is needed. Another good thing to remember is that not all of them do the same job as a journalist. They live in a weird limbo when it comes to their job description.

As someone who wrote for a website many years ago I can understand their feeling. It removes part of the enjoyment of playing that game. And if you don't have to review said game it can feel unnecessary to be on top of a game you want to be surprised by. Also there are so many game already. It is difficult to follow them all so why is removing one from your watchlist such a bad thing? We do it already for games we aren't interested in.

Sure discussions can be difficult but that is something that can be worked around.
I really suck at forums because I don't get why what I've written is interpreted that way :D I didn't even criticize them in my original post, a post that was meant to explain how I could understand them being hyped about Death Stranding despite the emptiness of Kojima's intervention: it's ok not to take every gaming-related fact with the journalism lens on.

Sure, they never all go into blackouts for the same game. That'd be weird. Yes, it's fine to want to enjoy a game to its fullest and be kept safe from any preconceived, marketing-fueled expectations. Yes, they're humans, no problem. And you're right to point out that sometimes in the conversation you'll get the mixture of fan enthusiasm and more reserved journalism questioning (Blood often does that).

The limbo you're describing is what I keep trying to remind myself of: just because I think about them as journalists doesn't mean they see their job as such. It makes it less weird (and I said weird, not bad) that they're able to go on blackouts.

To reiterate: I am not taking shots at Easy Allies. It's the only video game team I follow and listen to. I'm simply stating that some of their enthusiasm for things I or others find lacking can be easily explained by them being fans (and jolly) before being journalists, and it's very, very fine. Ben Moore's initial love for No Man's Sky and his review of the game is a perfect example of that: when it's time to put the fan hat off, they can do it so well.

I really suck at forums because I don't get why what I've written is interpreted that way :D I didn't even criticize them in my original post, a post that was meant to explain how I could understand them being hyped about Death Stranding despite the emptiness of Kojima's intervention: it's ok not to take every gaming-related fact with the journalism lens on.

Sure, they never all go into blackouts for the same game. That'd be weird. Yes, it's fine to want to enjoy a game to its fullest and be kept safe from any preconceived, marketing-fueled expectations. Yes, they're humans, no problem. And you're right to point out that sometimes in the conversation you'll get the mixture of fan enthusiasm and more reserved journalism questioning (Blood often does that).

The limbo you're describing is what I keep trying to remind myself of: just because I think about them as journalists doesn't mean they see their job as such. It makes it less weird (and I said weird, not bad) that they're able to go on blackouts.

To reiterate: I am not taking shots at Easy Allies. It's the only video game team I follow and listen to. I'm simply stating that some of their enthusiasm for things I or others find lacking can be easily explained by them being fans (and jolly) before being journalists, and it's very, very fine. Ben Moore's initial love for No Man's Sky and his review of the game is a perfect example of that: when it's time to put the fan hat off, they can do it so well.

Don't worry, it's not you. Some people tend to be overly defensive or are too lazy to write up a proper post.

llehuty

I don't know what's the problem with blackouts. A movie/book/game reviewer avoiding/ignoring promo material and the production of a work, is going to make h value their work for what it is, instead of having some expectations that could possibly influence the analysis of the final, complete work.

I feel like the videogame journalism, in general, relies to hard on marketing, promo material and previews, that will, more often than not, be misleading (accidentally or on purpose).

That's why I feel like a late review or a stream of a game are more valuable than the super early impressions of a demo or a trailer.

I mean, I'm not against analysisng trailers and demos, but they shouldn't be taken as "good trailer = good game" (for example, No man's sky), "good demo = good game" (for example, ReCore)

Just watched the GoldenEye duel. Man, Huber was in the zone. It was like nobody else was in the room. He reacted to nothing. Incredible.

I was surprised that Jones chose the Golden Gun mode. Huber has been bigging up his pistols only skill since the beginning of time. Jones was obviously hoping he'd get his hands on the gun first but that's such a risk.

Excellent stream.

Maiar_m

I don't know what's the problem with blackouts. A movie/book/game reviewer avoiding/ignoring promo material and the production of a work, is going to make h value their work for what it is, instead of having some expectations that could possibly influence the analysis of the final, complete work.

I feel like the videogame journalism, in general, relies to hard on marketing, promo material and previews, that will, more often than not, be misleading (accidentally or on purpose).

That's why I feel like a late review or a stream of a game are more valuable than the super early impressions of a demo or a trailer.

I mean, I'm not against analysisng trailers and demos, but they shouldn't be taken as "good trailer = good game" (for example, No man's sky), "good demo = good game" (for example, ReCore)

That's assuming the reviewer uses the marketing of the game at face value. Journalists shouldn't do that (and are trained not to trust PR....but payed to use it at face value -_-), they should use the marketing and the PR of the game to inform their questions about said game, to question the studio during / after release and so on. The role of a journalist is first and foremost to help the public make educated decisions. While marketing aims to fabricate the public's opinion of a product regardless of its actual value. Being aware of the marketing helps the journalist question that flow of information and rectify the reader's perception of the game / product. In theory. In practice, it's rarely done. Still, it's the primary objective.

It does work under the idea that being exposed to the marketing doesn't prevent the journalist to block it out when actually playing the game, leaving them able to review the product for what it is rather than for what it was sold to be. As Ben and a lot of other outlets did with No Man's Sky, basing their judgment heavily on the actual gameplay loop rather than on the marketed elements.

If you think (and you might be right) that covering a game / book / record's production is bound to influence the journalist's review of it, whether they're aware of it or not, the simple solution is to split production and review reporting between two people.

It'd like to point out that I don't think it's a problem per se to go on blackouts, as it's got its advantages down the road. It's just not the journalistic process I'm accustomed to and it seems weird to me, as it distracts from that primary goal. If journalists don't "fight" against marketing bullshit, then who does?

llehuty

If journalists don't "fight" against marketing bullshit, then who does?
Hmmm, I've never thought about it from that point of view, but it's good point. We rarely see this in gaming journalism though, and if we see it, is after the fact. (No man's sky being the perfect example).

I think Easy Allies have a good balance of facts and being critic, with some jolly hype vibes. I wouldn't be that fun if they didn't get excited with some trailers or having sometimes their expectations set unreasonably high.

hiro4

In what way? A bad way? Cause I wasn't seeing it as that or criticism., just offering another (personal) perspective and reasons why to go on a Media blackout. Just like you did.

My bad for interpreting your weird for bad, but I still believe that if you change the "bad" in my sentence to "weird", it would still hold up. Would it be weird to remove a title from the already long watch list, if possible?

Feel free to criticize them, especially the way you do it with explanation and context. This opens up discussions from which we can all learn and better ourselves. I agree fully with your that their enthusiasm comes from a jolly place, but when it is needed they can be professional. And that is exactly why I'm a big fan of them.

Maiar_m

In what way? A bad way? Cause I wasn't seeing it as that or criticism., just offering another (personal) perspective and reasons why to go on a Media blackout. Just like you did.

My bad for interpreting your weird for bad, but I still believe that if you change the "bad" in my sentence to "weird", it would still hold up. Would it be weird to remove a title from the already long watch list, if possible?

Feel free to criticize them, especially the way you do it with explanation and context. This opens up discussions from which we can all learn and better ourselves. I agree fully with your that their enthusiasm comes from a jolly place, but when it is needed they can be professional. And that is exactly why I'm a big fan of them.

Thanks for clarifying, and my bad for not getting the tone right. I appreciate the conversation.

It's only weird to me because a journalist interested in something usually does the polar opposite of going on a blackout, they simply (should) consume it all, churn it, dig it, question it and expose the results. My primary gut reaction to hearing them say "I've been on a media blackout because this seems great" is like hearing them say "yeah I'm not interested in this because it seems nice". wut? And then I remember that it's not necessary to follow every single product and that they're more than allowed to enjoy a game freshly rather than doing a meticulous investigative job every time a game grabs their attention.

The question of a single journalist's focus span is also valid. It's not possible to be focused fully on every interesting game out there, so why not indulge the naïvety of the fandom side of oneself once in a while. I completely understand that. Plus turning something you love into a systematic job is a pretty good way to lose that love, something I hope the Allies never do. Not to mention that if, in this case, Death Stranding turns out to be crap, they'll be the first to say so as you've pointed out.

It also speaks volume about how wild and far marketing and PR-speak has gone that even professional have to get away from it to be able to fully enjoy their craft.

Anyway, that was more a criticism of one's expectations regarding Easy Allies' levels of hype when faced with questionable contents (or lack of such). Game journalists are people! Who knew :D

Just watched the GoldenEye duel. Man, Huber was in the zone. It was like nobody else was in the room. He reacted to nothing. Incredible.

I was surprised that Jones chose the Golden Gun mode. Huber has been bigging up his pistols only skill since the beginning of time. Jones was obviously hoping he'd get his hands on the gun first but that's such a risk.

Excellent stream.

Yeah, I watched it on YouTube and really enjoyed it. He was intense.

As Huber said, the key was to block out Kyle.

I don't see the problem with some of them going media blackouts as long as it's not all of them. Not to mention people who go media blackout are usually not the ones that review the game when it comes out so it's all good.

Pappasman

Man, I cringe every time "journalism" is brought up here and by Brandon. I love the allies, but they are not journalists. There are maybe four people doing actual journalism in the games industry and EZA certainly doesn't have any of those people. That's not a bad thing. They are enthusiast entertainment and as such should not be held up to the standards of journalists.

"Games journalist" is a joke title anyway. Most media, people writing or making videos about games, are just enthusiast bloggers or entertainers.

Auctopus

Regarding the Death Stranding chat, I'll say this...

At the rate people are speculating and discussing the absolute minimal information we have on this game, it is going to damage the release massively. Huber says "I love how everyone has different interpretations and expectations right now." Well, I love that too Huber but this game isn't going to be out for a few years at least and remember the last game that people had different interpretations and expectations about an "Indie Game"? Remember how that went? *cough* No Man's Sky *cough*

You might say "But it's Kojima!" like he's some sort of untouchable developer. Yes, maybe in some ways. I believe he is an auteur and whatever he does, there'll be some surprises along the way. But people who continue to believe that MGSV's shortcomings are solely down to Konami will have a rude awakening when they eventually realise that Kojima possibly has a few chinks in his armour that you can't see. Especially in his recent (in terms of his career) obsession with open-world. Despite the game's beautiful, fluid gameplay, MGSV had a terrible open-world and Kojima completely failed to utilise it through storytelling.

Yes, people learn from their mistakes and Kojima is an incredibly creative and intelligent man but I think analysing this game from Kojima revealing purely what genre the game is, will create such unhealthy expectations and impatience towards a title which is so early in development, I doubt even Kojima knows the exact path it will take.

I'm not trying to be negative and I love the Allies being excited and I'm looking forward to this game as much as the next person but the game is a painfully long way away right now and I feel some discussions revolving around games at such an early point in development can lead to such negative results down the road.

Damn, hope it's not one of the permas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom