• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Feels like a list from soneone who has started gaming last generation.

Exactly. Some Mountain Dew slurping 23 year old had a big hand in this list.

And HOLEEEE SHIIIIT, Horizon Zero Dawn in the top half?

This is my personal GOTY I'm talking about and one of the best PS4 games I've played...but NOPE!

Come the fuck on. Games like Horizon and BOTW are still cooling their hype train rails. They need to be around a LOT longer and prove their longevity to earn such distinction.

Jesus fuck.

redcrayon

Feels like a list from soneone who has started gaming last generation.
I think it's more that it's aimed at those people.
This is a list that prioritises accessibility and stuff that people are talking about today, nothing wrong with that apart from the headline. I imagine Retro Gamer's would be very different.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone who has this and vol. 2 from two years ago please compare some of the articles for the like 95% of games that are featured in both? I don't know if I wanna buy this if they - like from vol.1 to vol.2 - copy pasted a lot of the articles again....

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This list reads like a very subjective "games I personally enjoyed over the last ten years" list. There is a strong personal bias to it. Entire genres seem to be virtually missing (like racing games). Criteria like historical influence seem to be largely ignored.

That's fine if your aim is to compile a personal top 100 list. But as soon as you claim to have a certain degree of universality, you need a different approach that tries to cover a broad range of genres and time periods; for instance, by having many different video game fans vote on their top 10 games.

Again. It doesn't even have Pokemon. How can anyone respect such a list. But it has Sims 3. Limbo...

source.gif

Exactly. Some Mountain Dew slurping 23 year old had a big hand in this list.

And HOLEEEE SHIIIIT, Horizon Zero Dawn in the top half?

This is my personal GOTY I'm talking about and one of the best PS4 games I've played...but NOPE!

Come the fuck on. Games like Horizon and BOTW are still cooling their hype train rails. They need to be around a LOT longer and prove their longevity to earn such distinction.

Jesus fuck.

Probably. But most games considered The Greatest soon after release make such lists at the first given opportunity. I'm certain such was the case with Ocarina, Mario 64, etc. So yeah, I don't agree with much of the list, but we can't accuse them of being inconsistent. Just really, really wrong. :p

This list reads like a very subjective "games I personally enjoyed over the last ten years" list. There is a strong personal bias to it. Entire genres seem to be virtually missing (like racing games). Criteria like historical influence seem to be largely ignored.

That's fine if your aim is to compile a personal top 100 list. But as soon as you claim to have a certain degree of universality, you need a different approach that tries to cover a broad range of genres and time periods; for instance, by having many different video game fans vote on their top 10 games.

I'm sure NGG could make a better list.

TrounceX

Straight up, this is the worst top videogames list I have ever seen. And I've read a LOT in my 8 years on GAF.

I'm looking at this and I can't even form a coherent defense of their decisions. I can usually at least understand where they are coming from.

And finally, no top 100 list in 2017 can omit Nier Automata and get a pass from me. It's the new litmus test.

Widge

Cultural significant has been ignored as part of the criteria of the list. There is no way OG Doom should be in this list. OG Doom is a significant title etched into gaming history. The two statements can stand.

This is about coming to the games fresh, now, with no attachment to past nostalgia. I would be rather disgruntled at coming to games now if it pointed me to something like Secret Of Mana rather than FFXII Zodiac. And I have a massive attachment to SoM.

correojon

There are many people complaining about there being too many Zelda and Mario games, and how that contradicts the no sequels rule, yet I haven't seen anyone saying the same about Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Nice to see they've finally taken off LBP3.

LBP1 or 2 deserve to be on the list. The first LittleBigPlanet had a level of charm that personally for me hasn't been topped since. Yeah the physics were a bit wonky but there was only 1 level in the campaign where it had a serious effect. I loved the way they had user created levels set out in the first two where they had them laid out over a globe vs the list style they went with Vita and 3. Some of the crazy stuff people could build even in the first one was incredible to look at and play on. I won't deny that LittleBigPlanet 2 improved the physics and greatly increased the gameplay variety, but it lost a lot of charm for me, mainly from adding voice acting (which I won't deny is a dumb thing to list as a negative).

There are many people complaining about there being too many Zelda and Mario games, and how that contradicts the no sequels rule, yet I haven't seen anyone saying the same about Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
At least those games have different characters, and some would say premise.

I think that will leave BotW as its own unique game that people continue to appreciate for its own unique qualities.

I would love to see those additions you mentioned in future games, but additions aren't by necessity improvements. BotW has its own heart, and if you make a game similar to it that is more packed with content that will result in a game with a different heart. Sometimes the simpler one is better, sometimes not, but I don't think you can say that because a game has a small feature list it is doomed to obscurity. For example there's almost nothing to do in SotC and it's one of the most beloved games ever - if you stuffed it with side quests it probably would have been a worse game.

And I know this is my opinion but I sadly don't feel Breath of the Wild had a lot of heart which is exactly why it will be forgotten. Majora's Mask has heart. It's filled with these dynamic, wide range cast of characters, with bizarre game elements, dark undertones, fine tuned OoT gameplay, and a firm focus on story over action.

BotW is composed of endless hoards of the same enemies across the land, putting you in the same situations in similar landscapes rewarding you with meaningless items. Villages are made up of relatively generic characters that tend to all be represented in all major cities. Hell the interesting characters are largely derived or influenced from previous Zelda games. Shrines themselves have limited unique design and even have lazy design elements around simply just fighting an enemy to complete. While the all items from the get go is novel, it also creates a game that remains the same from beginning to end in what you can or cannot do. Satisfying Progression is very weak and I feel will be a difficult gameplay design choice to gloss over in the future.

Good God, man, I thought mostly adults posted on NeoGAF. Kind of sad that so many people genuinely care which game got whatever ranking

At least those games have different characters, and some would say premise.
I'd argue that the Soulsborne games have more in common with each other, especially in terms of overall level design and core game-play, than stuff like 3D World and Galaxy or A Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild

And I know this is my opinion but I sadly don't feel Breath of the Wild had a lot of heart which is exactly why it will be forgotten. Majora's Mask has heart. It's filled with these dynamic, wide range cast of characters, with bizarre game elements, dark undertones, fine tuned OoT gameplay, and a firm focus on story over action.

BotW is composed of endless hoards of the same enemies across the land, putting you in the same situations in similar landscapes rewarding you with meaningless items. Villages are made up of relatively generic characters that tend to all be represented in all major cities. Hell the interesting characters are largely derived or influenced from previous Zelda games. Shrines themselves have limited unique design and even have lazy design elements around simply just fighting an enemy to complete. While the all items from the get go is novel, it also creates a game that remains the same from beginning to end in what you can or cannot do. Satisfying Progression is very weak and I feel will be a difficult gameplay design choice to gloss over in the future.

Nothing you've brought up as flaws in this thread has changed my opinion of BotW in the slightest and I can guarantee you I'm not alone. It's a masterpiece and one of the greatest video games ever created. And it will easily stand the test of time for millions of people.

Lol good god a good laugh.

Again Majoras Mask did not make OoT feel obsolete or just...there. You're trying to say BotW will be just "there" after the next one releases even though Majoras Mask never did that to the very first 3D Zelda.

Iceternal

Fucking garbage list.

If BOTW is to be the "objective " GOAT, I think it's time for me to stop playing video games and get into something else .

hemo memo

Gold Member
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This is just wrong. Move Resident Evil to 2 and push Dark Souls back.
way back
. Also Witcher 3 should be in the top 10.

Aters

Em, I don't think this is a good comparison.

Nothing you've brought up as flaws in this thread has changed my opinion of BotW in the slightest and I can guarantee you I'm not alone. It's a masterpiece and one of the greatest video games ever created. And it will easily stand the test of time for millions of people.

Yep. This list is garbage but at least the top spot is acceptable to me.

LotusHD

Banned
Anytime people say something has no heart/soul, it always comes down to them simply meaning that they liked another game more lol, it's a very vague criticism. That said, I didn't care for several of BoTW's characters admittedly, but saying it has no heart is hilarious.

Fucking garbage list.

If BOTW is to be the "objective " GOAT, I think it's time for me to stop playing video games and get into something else .

But you know it isn't objective, so why be so offended over a damn list...

it's basically exactly the same as the older list with some newer games inserted at some of the positions

not really seeing anything great about it. it's basically a bunch of popular action/adventure campaigns that consumers of today might recognize

feels like there are a few token games from other genres thrown in to artificially create the illusion of diversity

Anytime people say something has no heart/soul, it always comes down to them simply meaning that they liked another game more lol, it's a very vague criticism. That said, I didn't care for several of BoTW's characters admittedly, but saying it has no heart is hilarious.

But you know it isn't objective, so why be so offended over a damn list...

Yeah the "no soul" part you can roll your eyes at.

Melchiah

I'm surprised, that there isn't a single Silent Hill, WipEout, SSX or Unreal Tournament game on the list, not to mention the absence of classics like Resident Evil 2 and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

traveler

Not Wario
Go check out the favorite characters of the year thread we had earlier this year- BotW absolutely has its fair share of memorable new additions. No heart, my ass.

It feels like they just asked a 100 random people on the streets heading for work and this is what they got. Sims 3 limbo first bomberman street fighter 4 metal gear solid 5 GTA 5 and then games like super meat boy civ 4 but what civ 4, beyond the sword? Pacman but that version really. I could probably spend an hour dissecting this but bottom line it doesn't feel coherent as if the people behind it have a real voice or could argue for it. Botw could be nr1 in many lists and even if I didn't agree I can see why but who has that game at 1 and then the rest of that! lol

And if just based on popularity and or sales and pleasing everyone where is Pokemon lol and many others.

DxD

Banned

They are all different IP?
From can't make Demon Souls nor Bloodborne.
Sony can't make Dark Souls.
Different ownership because of different IP.

LordKano

They are all different IP?
From can't make Demon Souls nor Bloodborne.
Sony can't make Dark Souls.
Different ownership because of different IP.

Let's be serious a bit : there are as much differences between Souls games than between major Zelda games.

Top Bottom