• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Lol good god a good laugh.

Again Majoras Mask did not make OoT feel obsolete or just...there. You're trying to say BotW will be just "there" after the next one releases even though Majoras Mask never did that to the very first 3D Zelda.

Because aside from aesthetics it really didn't have that much to do with OoT. Similarly to how Seasons and Ages didn't displace Links Awakening. But all of these games had very specific character, item, enemy, progression, story and gameplay designs that felt extremely memorable and unique. Breath of the Wild is unique in scope and certain game design choices (I.e breakable weapons and cooking) but little outside of that stands out. Enemies, items, shrines, landscapes, story, NPCs are like I said just sort of "there" and repeatable or stale across the entire game (less so on the shrines depending on which ones). What I'm afraid of is that the next Zelda will not only excel in scope but also feature fully thought out traditional Zelda elements that will truly make it feel unique in story telling, items, proper game progression, and unique interactable characters. And when it does it makes BotW come off as extremely faceless... similar to the original.

84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition
76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
72. Metroid Prime
57. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
40. Shadow of the Colossus
36. Destiny
26. Super Metroid
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
18. Rez Infinite
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

i'm not really one for personal lists but this could easily be my top 10 of all time. so i'm fine with edge's!

i think a lot of you are missing the point of the list. it's explicitly not about historical significance.

traveler

Not Wario
The concept of IP being a distinguishing factor in gaming is much weaker than other media. Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, and Warcraft 3 all exist in the same IP, yet they're certainly much further apart from one another any of the Souls games or Bloodborne. I'd argue there are mainline Zelda installments with more differences than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne too.

Belonging to the same universe and sharing the same aesthetic just doesn't mean as much when your artform's primary element has nothing to do with those at all really.

Because aside from aesthetics it really didn't have that much to do with OoT. Similarly to how Seasons and Ages didn't displace Links Awakening. But all of these games had very specific character, item, enemy, progression, story and gameplay designs that felt extremely memorable and unique. Breath of the Wild is unique in scope and certain game design choices (I.e breakable weapons and cooking) but little outside of that stands out. Enemies, items, shrines, landscapes, story, NPCs are like I said just sort of "there" and repeatable or stale across the entire game (less so on the shrines depending on which ones). What I'm afraid of is that the next Zelda will not only excel in scope but also feature fully thought out traditional Zelda elements that will truly make it feel unique in story telling, items, proper game progression, and unique interactable characters. And when it does it makes BotW come off as extremely faceless... similar to the original.

While I could see something like this happening, we still remember and honor games that introduced ideas and systems even if they didn't nail them years later. World of Warcraft shows up on plenty of lists, yet it's not better than the Burning Crusade, WotLK, or Legion. HL2 brought us the gravity gun and combine but it doesn't measure up to Episode 2. It's still remembered as a major milestone, though.

Great list tbh. Glad they didn't cop out and shoe-in a load of old 'classics' as per routine usually - there are much better options nowadays.

i'm not really one for personal lists but this could easily be my top 10 of all time. so i'm fine with edge's!

i think a lot of you are missing the point of the list. it's explicitly not about historical significance.

Not significant historically but hardly a personal list either right I mean it is all over the place.

DxD

Banned
Let's be serious a bit : there are as much differences between Souls games than between major Zelda games.

Sure, we can be serious.
Can you use that excuse in court over intellectual rights?
Will the court allow Sony to make Dark Soul because they own the rights to Demon Souls and Bloodborne?

LordKano

Sure, we can be serious.
Can you use that excuse in court over intellectual rights?
Will the court allow Sony to make Dark Soul because they own the rights to Demon Souls and Bloodborne?

But who cares, we're talking about a video game top 100.

starmud

The sims 3 over the sims 2???? I thought we all agreed sims 3 is garbage to be forgotten.

I always expect PSO to be somewhere in lower end of these top 100 lists. I didn't know any console gamer who didn't love the experience PSO offered and feeling like online gaming was finally done right on a console.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I actually am unsure if I have ever encountered a game like BotW before. I fucking loved it, and yet still think it's the most horribly overrated game ever by a long stretch.

budpikmin

I feel like top 100 lists are outdated at this point. There's just too much good stuff out there. Maybe a 500 games you should definitely play list in no particular order would be better.

Can't say I'm mad at botw getting number 1 though. That game made me feel like a kid again.

Axass

These lists are stupid, they have no reason to exist but clicks and fanboy wars. Bonus stupidity points fo having games in order instead of just 100 must play games.

These lists are stupid, they have no reason to exist but clicks and fanboy wars. Bonus stupidity points fo having games in order instead of just 100 must play games.

I have their previous special. Even though I disagree with some of it - TLoU is good but not THAT good and GTA V is highly overrated - it's still an excellent read because each entry is beautifully written.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Great list tbh. Glad they didn't cop out and shoe-in a load of old 'classics' as per routine usually - there are much better options nowadays.

True perhaps, but Edge's motif in the past was to always recognise 'contribution to the art' in a historical sense, with both reviews and these kinds of lists. It differentiated Edge vs others. I guess they've down-weighted that as a factor in their thinking now, at least as far as lists go.

livelifelove13

Neo Member
BotW is such a weird case. The game blew my mind with how impressive and fun it was, yet I couldn't help but be incredibly disappointed with its lack of dungeons. Overrated? Not even close--it's a brilliantly designed game. Best game of all time? It probably is. It just feels wrong being up there at the number one spot.

correojon

Good God, man, I thought mostly adults posted on NeoGAF. Kind of sad that so many people genuinely care which game got whatever ranking

I'd argue that the Soulsborne games have more in common with each other, especially in terms of overall level design and core game-play, than stuff like 3D World and Galaxy or A Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild
I think that's the reason behind the no sequels rule, Zelda and Mario adhere to it very well, while Souls games get a free pass because of a technicality (different IP).

True perhaps, but Edge's motif in the past was to always recognise 'contribution to the art' in a historical sense, with both reviews and these kinds of lists. It differentiated Edge vs others. I guess they've down-weighted that as a factor in their thinking now, at least as far as lists go.

Well, to be fair, the list is called the 100 best games to play today and some classics haven't aged all that well.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
I like how they clarified that this list was done through a modern lens rather than treating the games by the benchmark set, eve stating that some titles were dragged out for replays.

Take Half Life 2 for example. I arrived to this game late and by that point it was a serious trudge to play. Did it lay down some frameworks? Perhaps. It's certainly been passed by now, by some of Valve's subsequent titles even.

Same with Chrono Trigger. I've not played this but I did step back to play benchmark FFVI for the first time ever and... well, I feel it certainly fits into the "you had to be there" category for me. Both games might sit so well in consciousness but to go in fresh nowadays, up against everything that has been since? Perhaps not 100 list worthy. (Replace that with all time fave of mine FFVII if you wish. I love that game but it sure as hell doesn't look good through the lens of someone coming to the game now.)

Maybe a splinter list of Top 100 Most Important Games would serve fond memories better.

I'd disagree entirely.

On the one hand, most people agree that chrono trigger has aged much better than FFVI, largely due to the smaller cast, excellent pacing and minimization of forced encounters. You'll still see people making topics to this day saying it's amazing, and quite frankly it's the best introduction for someone new to JRPGs (it's excellent in everything except difficulty, since the game is a snooze fest for people who have played a lot of RPGs).

Furthermore, as someone who's played FFVII, if you're willing to look past the graphics the game is still a blast to play. Generally 2D ages better than 3D, but the materia system is great and the tons of Easter eggs/mini games are a delight.

Too many people have this mentality that games age, certain mechanics may age (like high rates of random encounters, or excessive menuing *cough vagrant story cough*) but at the end of the day I play as many classics as I do modern games, and they often are a lot deeper and more enjoyable than most of the AAA stuff we get today.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, to be fair, the list is called the 100 best games to play today and some classics haven't aged all that well.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I guess these annual lists kind of run in parallel now to their occasional 'greatest games ever' lists that do lean in on historical contribution.

Zizbuka

Banned
I miss Edge, my local Barnes & Noble used to carry it, but alas......

Did they exclude Half-Life because Half-Life 2 is on the list? That seems a bit weird, there's a bunch of Mario games.

Nice to see some recent indies as well. The Witness is a classic, but I'm really happy with Towerfall Ascension, one of the greatest couch MP-games ever.

Frillen

In terms of gameplay it is one of the best games ever made. Better than BotW even, which also pushes emergent gameplay.

Nah, the second chapter where you have to replay missions is bullshit, and stops it from being a masterpiece. The story also takes a turn for the worse during that part.

Lol V is not the best metal gear. Sure you can argue its the best gameplay, but metal gear isn't just about the gameplay, and the story and mechanics are rubbish, plus its half finished.

silva1991

Yeah MGSV wishes it was as good as the other 4 games. Good mechanics, but subpar everything else. I forced myself to finish it.

takriel

GTA 5, Uncharted 4, MGS 5, Horizon are all way too high.

BotW doesn't deserve the #1 spot imo, but it should be top 10.

I would put Dark Souls as #1. Xenoblade should be top 10 as well.

Edit: Yeah this list is not good. No respect for Metroid Prime and Witcher 3.

traveler

Not Wario
MGSV is the only MGS I'd put on a personal best-of list. It's so far beyond the other titles in gameplay that the lacklustre story and lack of a third act doesn't matter. The other games may have been more entertaining narratively, but it's not like the stories were ever anything legitimately great either, and the games themselves aren't good enough to make my own best of lists over actual fun stealth games like Chaos Theory, MGSV, and Mark of the Ninja.

...but that's why personal lists are better. When this list is put across as the view of a panel- ostensibly representing the medium in a more balanced fashion- putting MGSV on it doesn't communicate the same thing you'd get from a list from an individual who's choices are consistently about the importance of mechanics over narrative. You just see it amid a crowd of other games and don't have the context of a specific perspective.

traveler

Not Wario
Yes they were. Have you played MGS2 recently, to completion?

Last year. I've played MGS3 and 4 recently as well. I was always a Splinter Cell fan first and didn't consider the MGS games to measure up to that standard until the first two acts of 4 and, later on, the greatness of 5. I'm not saying 2 or 3 are bad games; they just aren't great to me whereas V is.

hotcyder

I'm just glad Breath of the Wild knocked off Dark Souls as number one.

Agree with the Top 20 though (and pretty much the entire list) - although I'd maybe swap Half-Life 2's position with Minecraft. Also good to see the the most technically advanced Metal Gear is also the highest rated one too.

The sims 3 over the sims 2???? I thought we all agreed sims 3 is garbage to be forgotten.

I always expect PSO to be somewhere in lower end of these top 100 lists. I didn't know any console gamer who didn't love the experience PSO offered and feeling like online gaming was finally done right on a console.

Can we agree not to all agree ?

Something i have noticed over GAF over recent years between the can we all agree and what is the general consensus threads that there is this weird hive mind mentality on here.

Its ok to not like something others do, its ok to like something that others don't.

Top Bottom