• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

This is one of the strangest lists I've ever seen in a video game publication. In some ways, it's refreshing. Doesn't it get tiring seeing the same 20 games in roughly the same order whenever "greatest of all time" lists are created?

It makes for a different perspective, but I would have more respect for the list if it included less conventional selections from a wide time range rather than being so heavily biased towards recent, generally high-profile games.

What an odd list... I think there is some weighted system against old games or something. There are a number of the games on there that I would consider utterly puzzling like Transistor. They really gave recognition to a few under-appreciated new games, which is fine, but they went entirely overboard in that direction.

In addition to that, they include many mediocre or not great games, I assume because are from UK.

Uh, as a Brit I'd like to know what you mean by this. Are you implying that we as a nation have poor taste in games?

it gets even worse..

"we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels"

http://www.gamesradar.com/100-greatest-videogames-edge-special-edition-out-now/

"Except for the Zelda series where we featured four games, and the Mario series where we included three entries. Because reasons and stuff."

eso76

That is a bizarre mismatch of a list. The focus on modern games is really mystifying. A lot of these games are too new to be in a top 100. Something that came out in the last year--I feel like it's kind of impossible to say if it's one of the top games of all time yet because we don't have enough distance from it.

ETA: Mario Maker? @_@ It's been out for less than a month. Really weird list.

I fully support this.
Distancing doesn't always mean being more objective.
Plus too many lists include classics that you just couldn't endure today.

Red Hood

Banned
Dark Souls post Lordvessel is enough reason to not even include it in the top 10, overall pacing and execution issues, let alone #1. And this is coming from someone who loves Dark Souls.

And GTA 5? I quite enjoyed my time with it, but #2? lel

d00d3n

Not sure I like the list that much, seems to be a lot of random placing for games and crazy amount of recent games. Also they don't have a single classic adventure, but have recent games sub adventures like Her Story and Journey.

The stipulation to not include boring games despite historical significance/nostalgia rules out most classic adventure games.

I'm pleased with quite a few entries on this list, but no New Vegas? You're breaking my heart, Edge!

I'm 50/50 on MGSV being so high - the game is 50% amazeballs, and 50% phantom pain. Did Edge unlock Chapter 3 and not tell the rest of us how to do it? (Yes, I know, I'm on a salt flat with my salt and vinegar chips, I know, I know.)

Also. F3 search. Did not know this. Huh.

jiggles

Banned
"So, how'd the list go down? Does anyone think it's shit?"

"Err, well, some people do, yeah"

"How many?"

"I'm looking at them now. It's... uh... only a few."

ducksb0ptk.gif

I normally don't care about these lists enough to comment about the ordering or what games should or shouldn't be on the list etc. but having NO Fallout on a list of the 100 Greatest Video Games is such a glaring omission I feel like I need to get it out.

Whompa02

Titanfall was not one of the best games of all time. Even I can't agree with that and I played way too many hours of that game.

good/fun arcade-y shooter? Yes.

ALL TIME? Please.

The more I look...man this list is absolutely garbage. There's many MANY better classic games to be mentioned over some of the more recent games on the list.

edit: Driveclub makes the list???!?! Final Fantasy 10, 9, 7, 6 get no mention? Super Mario RPG nowhere? What the hell is this.

GamerJM

Banned
Surprising lack of classic style games and traditional turn based RPGs. I like the list a lot, it's refreshing, though I don't really agree with it. But I mean, it's hard to disagree with a list that includes Super Monkey Ball, Splatoon, and Rock Band 3.

bomma_man

I'm pleased with quite a few entries on this list, but no New Vegas? You're breaking my heart, Edge!

I'm 50/50 on MGSV being so high - the game is 50% amazeballs, and 50% phantom pain. Did Edge unlock Chapter 3 and not tell the rest of us how to do it? (Yes, I know, I'm on a salt flat with my salt and vinegar chips, I know, I know.)

Also. F3 search. Did not know this. Huh.

Edge generally emphasise pure gameplay mechanics over (crappy) story

Which doesn't explain limbo, but eh

That's a good list. All the people complaining about the minutiae of individual positions don't realize that long lists like he's can never please anyone on a microscale.

I like to imagine there was a guy on the editorial team that had played nothing but recent AAA releases and everyone else was just like:
"Sure Jeff, we'll put Titanfall and Arkham Knight on the list for you" *headpat*

CNCOMICS

Geez what's the criteria for a "modern classic"? I respect opinions, but this list needs some work.
There are some glaring omissions, no Wii Sports, Kingdom Hearts, Forza, Gran Turismo, Assassin's Creed, Midnight Club, Need for Speed, nor Bully to name a few.

maxcriden

I fully support this.
Distancing doesn't always mean being more objective.
Plus too many lists include classics that you just couldn't endure today.

Wait, you mean you disagree then, right? You said you fully support. Oh. You mean you support the inclusion of newer games. Well, I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about it that way. I think there's such a thing as a healthy distance, and as you said there's also such a thing as too much distance. Something so recent I feel like is still in a hype cycle that isn't necessarily indicative of long-term feelings about a game. Heck, Bloodborne's DLC isn't even out yet!

Servbot24

Banned
Bloodborne AND dark souls in the top 5?

seems excessive.

Games shouldn't be dismissed just because the creator has multiple great games. If FROM ends up having the full top 5 someday, they should be recognized for it.

Also, while appreciate that this list recognizes the new classics, Metroid Prime is the objective best game ever made.

Bayonetta 2 and MGS V should be in the top 10, because they have some of the best gameplay in videogames. Also, RE4 should be a bit higher. TLOU is overrated, doesn't deserve to be in top 3. I'm okay with Dark Souls at number 1.

a.wd

This is a bad list, everyone involved should feel bad as their taste is poor. Or dissimilar to mine. Either way point still stands.

Arkham Knight instead of Arkham City/Asylum, no World of Warcraft but they have Destiny, out of all FEs they choose Awakening, out of all MGSs they choose TPP.

Yeah EDGE whatever.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
46. Trials Fusion.

even as a hardcore trials fusion player (together with Rocket Leageu definately my game of the generation so far) this seems odd to me. strange list..

GamerJM

Banned
The thing that I will say about this list though is that it gives the impression that whoever wrote it has only played pre gen-7 (or maybe gen 6) games insofar as they played a list of "must-play," games from those gens. Like, you don't see anything as obscure as, say, Nidhogg from gen 4 on this list, and I don't think that's necessarily because games as obscure as Nidhogg don't hold up.

Top Bottom