• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Lo

Please don't click the spoiler tag if you're sensitive.

Query:
Is masturbation (and all its requisites) disallowed during this period?

Query:
Yes.

I don't think you should masturbate anyways.

----

Just finished my madinah trip. Had iftari right next to the place of the holy prophet's (SAW) grave at bab-e-jibreel. prayed at all the special spots!

Onwards to Makkah now.

Query:
ya. i'm pretty sure it's prohibited no matter what, though. but yeah. no sex for 30 days

Thanks for the support, you guys are great <3

One thing I've been trying to work on this Ramadan is swearing a lot less. I curse way too much, online and off. I've had about a week or so when I didnt say something bad out loud but when I suddenly do I feel like such a jerk.

Got really sick for a few days and just recovered. Alhamdulillah.
what happened to you?

One thing I've been trying to work on this Ramadan is swearing a lot less. I curse way too much, online and off. I've had about a week or so when I didnt say something bad out loud but when I suddenly do I feel like such a jerk.
yeah man, I hope you and your family are doing well. your grandfather is in a better place.

or, probably in a really comfortable barzakh.

and yeah, i curse a lot too and although i haven't had the opportunity to curse that much, I think i've toned it down a bit. i type a lot of cursing still though. does that count?

I cuss out during commute. Absolutely moronic drivers during rush hour period.

For my effort on cutting down cussing during Ramadan, I started substituting bad words with...goofball. Lol

I have a jarnamaaz with pot leaves on it.
ng2i4g.jpg

14ilhxh.jpg

also, not saying this is totally reliable, but says that the prophet made cannabis permissible.
http://www.ukcia.org/culture/history/chrono.php
He's been banned. Some people see scholars as gods sadly and won't think for themselves.
Not something worth derailing the thread about though IMO
yeah, I saw that he was banned, but I didn't think this was the reason why. as for looking at scholars like they are gods (talk about shirk here if you meant that lol) I give credit where it is due, but I feel as though perhaps sometimes they give their opinions on things and it isn't a totally correct response for what we are supposed to do.

Mecha

For my effort on cutting down cussing during Ramadan, I started substituting bad words with...goofball. Lol

One positive thing about forcing yourself to not cuss is that it forces you to think more about what you are saying.

Condom

He was a junior so it's permanent.. Right?

In most circumstances that is indeed the case.

yeah, I saw that he was banned, but I didn't think this was the reason why. as for looking at scholars like they are gods (talk about shirk here if you meant that lol) I give credit where it is due, but I feel as though perhaps sometimes they give their opinions on things and it isn't a totally correct response for what we are supposed to do.
Meant that scholars are there to give advice and that's great. The end decision on your behavior (on matters not discussed in the holy book) should be with the Muslim himself. One should be free to decide on that he sees as the most rightful.

Just my opinion though, others might prefer a more organised/centralized approach.

Dunno what it is but I get sick around the middle of Ramadan.. it is like clockwork.

I was in another city for the first couple of weeks which was good and bad for different reasons. I was technically a traveller but I fasted anyway and it was fine (except for the drive back up, as I needed the caffeine). This ramadan has so far been a great alignment in my personal affairs, alhamduliLlah.. a lot of things that were worrying me have resolved themselves.

Had iftar at the in laws last night... man Bengali iftar/dinner are deadly. My sister (who isn't Muslim) came along and was pretty shocked when she realised that there was dinner still to go!

I now live near Sydney's Muslim majority suburbs so tonight I'm going to Haldon Street in Lakemba to see Manny and eat some good food.

All the places there are pretty much open all night, and Sydney Muslims for some reason go in on the weird food during ramadan. Venison, camel etc.

Hexa

I'm American so between Maghrib and Isha I was playing with fireworks and I ended up playing with them too long and was kind of late for Isha at the mosque. By kind of I mean that generally you need to be their 10 minutes or so to get parking and not have to park on some random street, so I fully expected having to do that, but when I got their between Azhan and the actual prayer the parking lot was like half empty. I went inside and less than half the amount of people that are usually there were there. Like 1.5 lines when usually there are like 4 or more. The people at my mosque are clearly patriotic. :p

Yes I know it was probably for some other reason, though I have no idea what.

Anon67

I'm American so between Maghrib and Isha I was playing with fireworks and I ended up playing with them too long and was kind of late for Isha at the mosque. By kind of I mean that generally you need to be their 10 minutes or so to get parking and not have to park on some random street, so I fully expected having to do that, but when I got their between Azhan and the actual prayer the parking lot was like half empty. I went inside and less than half the amount of people that are usually there were there. Like 1.5 lines when usually there are like 4 or more. The people at my mosque are clearly patriotic. :p

Happened at my masjid too. People on 4th of July vacation, I guess?

Fezan

How do you workout during Ramadan ?

I ask this every year and yet somehow haven't started doing a single thing and gaining weight every day. Specially more in Ramadan

what happened to you?

Severe vomiting, nausea, intense abdominal pain, severe constipation (due to pain meds), then severe diarrhea (due to the copious amounts of laxatives I was downing to treat the constipation)...

So, I got sick, got sicker due to treatment, and got sick again during the actual resolution. Lasted for a week.

The worst I've been sick in 12 years (and that's when I had full blown pneumonia with otitis media). Alhamdulillah it has resolved for the most part.

And as for that cannabis deal, that is false. It even places the Prophet PBUH in 800 CE.... don't know what strange timeline they're citing.

I read this, and I can't say it's totally awful. What's so bad about it?

There are some things in there that are completely against the Qur'an itself. It promotes the kufr belief that the Qur'an is imperfect, unprotected.

Point 1 is a given. To see anything from the Qur'an as "fallible" is clear cut kufr. Even the person that the author of that article cites to support her point is a known non-Muslim, belonging to the Qadiyani group. How do these people conclude that the Qur'an is fallible? Simply because it doesn't agree with their adopted moralities. Not based on historical evidence of its preservation. Not based on the divine promise of its protection. Simply because "I don't agree with what the Qur'an commands, therefore it is fallible and I am free to pick and decide what God says based on what I FEEL is true." Yeah. She also quotes people who are known government-backed uncle toms in the UK who routinely imply hard working Muslim organizations, charities, and mosques are radical and help the government make life hell for these Muslim groups.

Point 2 is steeped in ignorance. If someone feels so compelled to rail against Islamic scholarship, step up and go study Islam. To challenge something while being ignorant to the intricacies of the religion is like challenging Euler's formula while not even knowing basic arithmetic or challenging the efficacy of vaccines while not even knowing what a virus is. The simple fact that this person points towards a WEBSITE rather than established Islamic madrassah systems, especially prominent in the Indian subcontinent, including her native, speaks volumes about her ignorance.

Point 3 is also contrary to Islam. Yes, establishment of caliphate is a part of Islam. Yes, Da'esh/ISIS claim to establish a caliphate. Does that automatically mean Muslims must support this? Da'esh also do a lot of things and support a lot of things that Muslims do, such as fasting or praying 5 times a day. Does that make those things evil as well? Now, if Da'esh reinforces those beliefs in cruel ways, such as the recent claim of crucifixion of Muslim kids who broke their fasts, does that mean fasting itself is bad? The means that Da'esh have adopted are clearly unIslamic, as evidenced by the massive opposition against them by almost all mainstream scholars and Islamic organizations.

Point 4 is blaming Islam for a cultural defect. This is found in every culture, regardless of religion. The 'hate for the other' that this author seems to be placing the blame on Islam for is found in even the so-called civilized cultures in the West. It is an innate fault of human society.

Point 5 is also based on naivete and having a moral compass derived from other than Islam and then forcing that upon Islam. The Qur'an allows polygamy. Most companions were polygamous. The Prophet PBUH was polygamous. To outlaw something that Islam not only allows but recommends is anti-Islamic.

Basically, the rundown of the article is as this: "I don't agree with these points of Islam and therefore Islam must change to adapt to what I believe to be right and not what God and His prophet PBUH has decreed."

What's even the point of God sending a guide if we are all born with such "innate moralities"?

There are problems in Muslim societies, yes. Women should never be harmed for "honour". Yes, some places can do more with scholarly involvement with the youths in a community. The mosque should be a place that is attractive to a youth rather than a chore to fulfill the Friday prayer. Yes, the scholars need to speak more about political issues rather than have youths go on the Internet to try to get answers and either being led astray and away from Islam or end up getting radicalized and shipping off to join Da'esh. But what this person is suggesting is to completely reject the foundations of Islam.

He's been banned. Some people see scholars as gods sadly and won't think for themselves.
Not something worth derailing the thread about though IMO

Uh, you don't have to even know a single scholar to realize that the list of suggestions goes against the foundations of Islam. Basically, the author said, "Let me create a moral foundation and then change/reject/skew what God says to fit what I think is right."

So, let's say I were to say that there's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol but God commands us to not drink it. If I go by the same logic as the author of that piece, I can just say that I don't think the Qur'an is infallible and just say that the verses against alcohol were written in. Anyone can use this way of thinking to justify anything they want.

adelante

More effectively. An hour in and out of the gym, quick and intense routines. Lots of superset helps. Usually do it after tarawih prayers since the gym is just 5mins away from the mosque. Sometimes before iftar, in which case I avoid doing heavy compound exercises. Working out during Ramadhan shouldn't be a hassle, really. Other more important things takes priority heh

In most circumstances that is indeed the case.
But is this the reason why he was banned?
Meant that scholars are there to give advice and that's great. The end decision on your behavior (on matters not discussed in the holy book) should be with the Muslim himself. One should be free to decide on that he sees as the most rightful.

Just my opinion though, others might prefer a more organised/centralized approach.
I agree, I think...who are you referring to in the bolded? each of us individuals?

I know that one important thing to check yourself on is going by your own whims. That counts as bad as shirk, iirc. You have to be careful not to make your own rules. That's something I sometimes feel like I juggle with in terms of marijuana.

Dunno what it is but I get sick around the middle of Ramadan.. it is like clockwork.

I was in another city for the first couple of weeks which was good and bad for different reasons. I was technically a traveller but I fasted anyway and it was fine (except for the drive back up, as I needed the caffeine). This ramadan has so far been a great alignment in my personal affairs, alhamduliLlah.. a lot of things that were worrying me have resolved themselves.

Had iftar at the in laws last night... man Bengali iftar/dinner are deadly. My sister (who isn't Muslim) came along and was pretty shocked when she realised that there was dinner still to go!

I now live near Sydney's Muslim majority suburbs so tonight I'm going to Haldon Street in Lakemba to see Manny and eat some good food.

All the places there are pretty much open all night, and Sydney Muslims for some reason go in on the weird food during ramadan. Venison, camel etc.
damn, take care of yourself man. Are you bengali? and you were able to make it without the caffeine, right? ;)

Saw lots of fireworks from the masjid during iftar dinner last night. From like 3 different parts in the sky, lol

I ask this every year and yet somehow haven't started doing a single thing and gaining weight every day. Specially more in Ramadan
I go an hour after I eat iftar. So at like 10pm. I haven't really been making gains, more like maintains...lol

Severe vomiting, nausea, intense abdominal pain, severe constipation (due to pain meds), then severe diarrhea (due to the copious amounts of laxatives I was downing to treat the constipation)...

So, I got sick, got sicker due to treatment, and got sick again during the actual resolution. Lasted for a week.

The worst I've been sick in 12 years (and that's when I had full blown pneumonia with otitis media). Alhamdulillah it has resolved for the most part.
I've had some badass diarrhea more than a couple times this month, but I think it's stopped for most part thank god.

And as for that cannabis deal, that is false. It even places the Prophet PBUH in 800 CE.... don't know what strange timeline they're citing.
So maybe they just got the timeline off..?
There are some things in there that are completely against the Qur'an itself. It promotes the kufr belief that the Qur'an is imperfect, unprotected.

Point 1 is a given. To see anything from the Qur'an as "fallible" is clear cut kufr. Even the person that the author of that article cites to support her point is a known non-Muslim, belonging to the Qadiyani group. How do these people conclude that the Qur'an is fallible? Simply because it doesn't agree with their adopted moralities. Not based on historical evidence of its preservation. Not based on the divine promise of its protection. Simply because "I don't agree with what the Qur'an commands, therefore it is fallible and I am free to pick and decide what God says based on what I FEEL is true." Yeah. She also quotes people who are known government-backed uncle toms in the UK who routinely imply hard working Muslim organizations, charities, and mosques are radical and help the government make life hell for these Muslim groups.

Point 2 is steeped in ignorance. If someone feels so compelled to rail against Islamic scholarship, step up and go study Islam. To challenge something while being ignorant to the intricacies of the religion is like challenging Euler's formula while not even knowing basic arithmetic or challenging the efficacy of vaccines while not even knowing what a virus is. The simple fact that this person points towards a WEBSITE rather than established Islamic madrassah systems, especially prominent in the Indian subcontinent, including her native, speaks volumes about her ignorance.

Point 3 is also contrary to Islam. Yes, establishment of caliphate is a part of Islam. Yes, Da'esh/ISIS claim to establish a caliphate. Does that automatically mean Muslims must support this? Da'esh also do a lot of things and support a lot of things that Muslims do, such as fasting or praying 5 times a day. Does that make those things evil as well? Now, if Da'esh reinforces those beliefs in cruel ways, such as the recent claim of crucifixion of Muslim kids who broke their fasts, does that mean fasting itself is bad? The means that Da'esh have adopted are clearly unIslamic, as evidenced by the massive opposition against them by almost all mainstream scholars and Islamic organizations.

Point 4 is blaming Islam for a cultural defect. This is found in every culture, regardless of religion. The 'hate for the other' that this author seems to be placing the blame on Islam for is found in even the so-called civilized cultures in the West. It is an innate fault of human society.

Point 5 is also based on naivete and having a moral compass derived from other than Islam and then forcing that upon Islam. The Qur'an allows polygamy. Most companions were polygamous. The Prophet PBUH was polygamous. To outlaw something that Islam not only allows but recommends is anti-Islamic.

Basically, the rundown of the article is as this: "I don't agree with these points of Islam and therefore Islam must change to adapt to what I believe to be right and not what God and His prophet PBUH has decreed."

What's even the point of God sending a guide if we are all born with such "innate moralities"?

There are problems in Muslim societies, yes. Women should never be harmed for "honour". Yes, some places can do more with scholarly involvement with the youths in a community. The mosque should be a place that is attractive to a youth rather than a chore to fulfill the Friday prayer. Yes, the scholars need to speak more about political issues rather than have youths go on the Internet to try to get answers and either being led astray and away from Islam or end up getting radicalized and shipping off to join Da'esh. But what this person is suggesting is to completely reject the foundations of Islam.

Uh, you don't have to even know a single scholar to realize that the list of suggestions goes against the foundations of Islam. Basically, the author said, "Let me create a moral foundation and then change/reject/skew what God says to fit what I think is right."

So, let's say I were to say that there's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol but God commands us to not drink it. If I go by the same logic as the author of that piece, I can just say that I don't think the Qur'an is infallible and just say that the verses against alcohol were written in. Anyone can use this way of thinking to justify anything they want.
I don't agree with every single thing the article says, but I can't say it doesn't make any valid points at all. And like AAK suggested, perhaps we shouldn't discuss it here.

More effectively. An hour in and out of the gym, quick and intense routines. Lots of superset helps. Usually do it after tarawih prayers since the gym is just 5mins away from the mosque. Sometimes before iftar, in which case I avoid doing heavy compound exercises. Working out during Ramadhan shouldn't be a hassle, really. Other more important things takes priority heh
How much do you get to sleep man??

Having sex with your spouse at night is okay though. It's during the day that it's forbidden.

Not true. It is ok after sunset (lawful sex that is lol)
are y'all sure? I'm not 100% but I think i heard from my imam at one jumma that being that it is the month of sacrifice, you have to stay abstinent for it. And if you do decide to make love than both you and the girl have to do an extra 20 after ramadan - again, I'm not 100% on this, I could be wildly off.

Time to confess. Since the age of 11 or 12, I was fasting everyday while Ramadan (I'm 21 now) with really no problem at all. But since last year, I really started to really not appreciate it and wonder why I do that even though I'm not really into Islam (most of my family is actually). And this year for the first time, I started to drink water during the day and even ate a sandwich yesterday, feels bad to hide it from my family but I'm really not as much into this anymore. And if it wasn't enough, I never felt as weak as I ever was during Ramadan, I eat not that much during the night and my sleep schedule is completely disturbed (I sleep really early which is not really great when you can only eat at 10pm). Anyway I just doesn't like to fast anymore and I think this is the last year I will do it. I wonder if anything (has) felt the same here.

Time to confess. Since the age of 11 or 12, I was fasting everyday while Ramadan (I'm 21 now) with really no problem at all. But since last year, I really started to really not appreciate it and wonder why I do that even though I'm not really into Islam (most of my family is actually). And this year for the first time, I started to drink water during the day and even ate a sandwich yesterday, feels bad to hide it from my family but I'm really not as much into this anymore. And if it wasn't enough, I never felt as weak as I ever was during Ramadan, I eat not that much during the night and my sleep schedule is completely disturbed (I sleep really early which is not really great when you can only eat at 10pm). Anyway I just doesn't like to fast anymore and I think this is the last year I will do it. I wonder if anything (has) felt the same here.
I'll level with you in that I really do not look forward to Ramadan every year. People ask me 'why do you do it if you hate it?' answer is, coz God commanded me to.

Sayah

It's probably better to not fast at all than it is to pretend fast in front of your family and then intentionally break the fast

It's probably better to not fast at all than it is to pretend fast in front of your family and then intentionally break the fast

Yeah, that's what I want to do, only thing I'm afraid of is that how will they react. Besides I don't feel at ease eating normally when everybody is fasting around

I have a jarnamaaz with pot leaves on it.
ng2i4g.jpg

14ilhxh.jpg

also, not saying this is totally reliable, but says that the prophet made cannabis permissible.
http://www.ukcia.org/culture/history/chrono.phpyeah, I saw that he was banned, but I didn't think this was the reason why. as for looking at scholars like they are gods (talk about shirk here if you meant that lol) I give credit where it is due, but I feel as though perhaps sometimes they give their opinions on things and it isn't a totally correct response for what we are supposed to do.

I was at a qiyam last night with Imam Suhaib Webb and someone asked about marijuana. He said he was fine with medical marijuana as long as it is prescribed by a doctor for good reason, ie cancer patients, alzheimers, epilepsy, etc, but not things like "my back hurts" or just for recreational usage.

I was at a qiyam last night with Imam Suhaib Webb and someone asked about marijuana. He said he was fine with medical marijuana as long as it is prescribed by a doctor for good reason, ie cancer patients, alzheimers, epilepsy, etc, but not things like "my back hurts" or just for recreational usage.
that fact is really hitting home hard :(

ZiZ

Query:

many people believe it to be a sin in general and It definitely ruins your fast. but If you must, do it after sundown, and not during your fast.

ya. i'm pretty sure it's prohibited no matter what, though. but yeah. no sex for 30 days

as others have stated, it is allowed at night:

(&#1571;&#1615;&#1581;&#1616;&#1604;&#1617;&#1614; &#1604;&#1614;&#1603;&#1615;&#1605;&#1618; &#1604;&#1614;&#1610;&#1618;&#1604;&#1614;&#1577;&#1614; &#1575;&#1604;&#1589;&#1617;&#1616;&#1610;&#1614;&#1575;&#1605;&#1616; &#1575;&#1604;&#1585;&#1617;&#1614;&#1601;&#1614;&#1579;&#1615; &#1573;&#1616;&#1604;&#1614;&#1609;&#1648; &#1606;&#1616;&#1587;&#1614;&#1575;&#1574;&#1616;&#1603;&#1615;&#1605;&#1618;)

(It has been made permissible for you the night preceding fasting to go to your wives [for sexual relations])

adelante

How much do you get to sleep man??
Lol like I said earlier in the thread, I sleep just fine. By the time I reach home, it's before midnight. Wake up at 430am for Sahur, sleep again right after Subuh around 6am. Work starts at 10am so I guess that helps :p

Plus I don't work out everyday like I normally do. Don't want to put my body through more stress than it already has haha.

Suhaib Webb is awesome.

Lol like I said earlier in the thread, I sleep just fine. By the time I reach home, it's before midnight. Wake up at 430am for Sahur, sleep again right after Subuh around 6am. Work starts at 10am so I guess that helps :p

Plus I don't work out everyday like I normally do. Don't want to put my body through more stress than it already has haha.
you must be in some other part of the world then. I have to wake up at 3am for ceri because fajr is around 3:50 or something like that.

effingvic, I have to ask if you didn't say already, was your grandfather around you/your family when you passed?

my grandmother is not doing so well, but she's way overseas in the motherland, and my mother is very upset about it. like, I feel so helpless when my mother cries. It is the worst feeling in the world and the worst thing for me to see. I might make a new thread about it because the underlying issues in regards to me is a bit deeper.

So I had some korma today for iftar after weeks, perhaps months, of keto and I feel like such a scumbag. It was so delicious but it was like I was cheating on my beloved keto. God knows how many carbs that was. Guess I'm hitting the gym tomorrow.

effingvic, I have to ask if you didn't say already, was your grandfather around you/your family when you passed?

my grandmother is not doing so well, but she's way overseas in the motherland, and my mother is very upset about it. like, I feel so helpless when my mother cries. It is the worst feeling in the world and the worst thing for me to see. I might make a new thread about it because the underlying issues in regards to me is a bit deeper.

Thankfully yes. He was with some of my uncle and aunts. Most of our family is back home so they were able to be there for him. While his death was kind of suspicious, he passed relatively peacefully. I was told he passed in the middle of a conversation with one of my uncles. He was just talking about some errands he wanted my uncle to do and then when he finished his sentence, just closed his eyes and passed.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know very well how powerless you can feel. The lowest I've felt was when my grandmother passed about 2 years ago. I was financially and emotionally in a terrible place and when she passed it broke me. I'm thankful that I had enough money (basically had to deplete my savings) to send my mom back home so my grandmother could spend her last few weeks with her. I'm in a much better position now Alhamdulliah but I can't help but feel like I could have done more for both of my grandparents. Its irrational but I'm sometimes like "if only I did X, Y, Z" and it kinda eats away at me.

I think the best thing you can do for your mom right now is to make her life easier any way you can. Take on some of her workload, or even just listen to her. She needs as much support as you can give her. Perhaps even try to talk with your grandmother as you never know when you'll get your chance again. I'll pray for you and your family.

Drivers are the worst but I get my fill of idiotic humans during rush hour in NYC subways.

I make weird noises when I'm about to swear now. So if I'm about to drop the F-bomb, I'm just like "FFFFffssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh" or whatever until I calm down. Try to take deep breaths. Much harder to stop swearing online though, that I need to work on :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom