• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septic360

Banned
Man I can almost feel my body being detoxed. It's mad. 2 months prior to Ramadan I had to quit gym (I was going 5 days a week minimum) because work was absolutely manic. So I lost all my gains but also started eating absolute junk on a daily basis.

I've already lost a lot of the fat. And I haven't had caffeine since Ramadan which is great because I was having 3 cups of coffee a day.

Mind you, I've been a lazy sod.

Shengar

One week and I haven't lost any fat.
Shit drives me mad since I already done some work-out in the evening after break and I want to lose some excessive weight.

With all due respect, I'm going through the hadiths and I see the prophet not leading prayers some nights so as to not make it compulsory, then saying pray as much as you want the nightly prayers and on other occasions, praying 20 himself etc..
Allah is the best judge, but nowhere is there a minimum standard nor maximum nor a set standard 'till Umar. You're filling in the gaps with your additional 'match' the prophet for it to be counted as sunnah, at 8, when people pray 20 raakats not only in the mosques of Mecca & Medina but around the world, as they see that as the most appropriate, arguing against 8 being right.
One of the reasons the prophet didn't want to set it as a regularly prayer in Ramadan - so it doesn't become compulsory - is because he thought it would be difficult for people. And isn't that why we are being asked the same question? Not only do you go against the spirit of this, you say if he prays taraweeh, there is a chance it won't be counted at all! (count as taraweeh)
Lots of people are not confident in the hadiths that declare 8 rakats, but you're quite confident at setting the minimum at 8 and/but ideally 20.
I think you have heard my point of view three times now. And I have heard your point of view three times. & as neither of us is now likely to see eye to eye, we should shake hands and leave the matter to Allah (swt).

You've completely misunderstood the reason I keep bringing up the 8 raka'at minimum even though I personally pray 20 raka'ats and don't personally believe that 8 raka'ats is appropriate.

The only reason I do so is because there is some scholarly support for 8 raka'ats. According to the scholars who support 20 raka'ats, you don't fulfill the requirement of Taraweeh if you pray less than 20 and therefore, the 8 raka'ats minimum is not enough. That's not an answer someone who is having trouble praying even 4 raka'ats would want to hear. So, rather than praying none, praying 8 at the least would be enough to fulfill the criteria of some scholars, rather than praying less and not fulfilling any criteria. I know you have some sort of issue with scholars for some reason, but this is the safest way for those of us who are not scholars.

The minimum in Ramadhan is quite clear. We don't see a hadeeth that says that the Prophet PBUH prayed less than 8 during Ramadhan. Now, according to those scholars who see the 8 as Tahajjud, that hadeeth is irrelevant to Taraweeh as they see 20 as the sunnah and anything less as not the sunnah and not fulfilling the criteria for Taraweeh.

And where on Earth are you getting the idea that I have said anything about Taraweeh being compulsory?

moka

I'm losing a lot of weight (bonus!) but still feel rubbish not going to the gym. I used to go sometimes 7 days a week.

Also, I start to feel sleepy at around 1pm at work.

Shit drives me mad since I already done some work-out in the evening after break and I want to lose some excessive weight.

Fast metabolism FTW!

Just find a workout schedule that suits your body type and give it time.

I feel so unproductive during this Ramadhan:

Sahoor -> Too sleepy to do anything
Noon -> Hungry and thirst distract me from anything that is not gaming
Evening -> Full belly makes me lazy doing anything besides prayer

and the cycle goes on D:

Anyway, Ramadhan Mubarak to everyone here.
well, don't feel bad man. I've barely touched the Qur'an this month.

ceri---> I wake up at 3am, exhausted, but I eat and then sleep. (today I didn't eat ceri though just drank a sip of water & prayed fajr)
day--->mostly browsing the web, and napping. I missed zuhr yesterday though from overnapping.
evening---> I still plan on going to planet fitness monday - thursday, as much sleep as it'll kill and as little energy that I have I am trying to maintain the very little muscle mass I have on my body.

With all due respect, I'm going through the hadiths and I see the prophet not leading prayers some nights so as to not make it compulsory, then saying pray as much as you want the nightly prayers and on other occasions, praying 20 himself etc..
Allah is the best judge, but nowhere is there a minimum standard nor maximum nor a set standard 'till Umar. You're filling in the gaps with your additional 'match' the prophet for it to be counted as sunnah, at 8, when people pray 20 raakats not only in the mosques of Mecca & Medina but around the world, as they see that as the most appropriate, arguing against 8 being right.
One of the reasons the prophet didn't want to set it as a regularly prayer in Ramadan - so it doesn't become compulsory - is because he thought it would be difficult for people. And isn't that why we are being asked the same question? Not only do you go against the spirit of this, you say if he prays taraweeh, there is a chance it won't be counted at all! (count as taraweeh)
Lots of people are not confident in the hadiths that declare 8 rakats, but you're quite confident at setting the minimum at 8 and/but ideally 20.
I think you have heard my point of view three times now. And I have heard your point of view three times. & as neither of us is now likely to see eye to eye, we should shake hands and leave the matter to Allah (swt).
Yeah, I understood what he was saying too, but I think I agree with this.

I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded question, though.

Last year I lost 15 pounds, but then I basically ate chicken nuggets and carrots every morning and every night. I was away from home but I'm home now and unfortunately can't get rid of this belly fat

You've completely misunderstood the reason I keep bringing up the 8 raka'at minimum even though I personally pray 20 raka'ats and don't personally believe that 8 raka'ats is appropriate.
why do you personally believe 8 rakats is inappropriate if you argue that 8 is sunnat?

The only reason I do so is because there is some scholarly support for 8 raka'ats. According to the scholars who support 20 raka'ats, you don't fulfill the requirement of Taraweeh if you pray less than 20 and therefore, the 8 raka'ats minimum is not enough. That's not an answer someone who is having trouble praying even 4 raka'ats would want to hear. So, rather than praying none, praying 8 at the least would be enough to fulfill the criteria of some scholars, rather than praying less and not fulfilling any criteria. I know you have some sort of issue with scholars for some reason, but this is the safest way for those of us who are not scholars.

The minimum in Ramadhan is quite clear. We don't see a hadeeth that says that the Prophet PBUH prayed less than 8 during Ramadhan. Now, according to those scholars who see the 8 as Tahajjud, that hadeeth is irrelevant to Taraweeh as they see 20 as the sunnah and anything less as not the sunnah and not fulfilling the criteria for Taraweeh.

And where on Earth are you getting the idea that I have said anything about Taraweeh being compulsory?
I don't think he said tarabih was compulsory anywhere. So even a scholar would say 8 is not enough, and tarabih only counts as 20? so then how could 8 count as sunnat according to you if you're going by scholars' words?

EDIT: sorry for the triple post

scarlet

It's all on the diet. Cut your sugar intake, eat less calories and try to cardio 30 minutes before iftar.

why do you personally believe 8 rakats is inappropriate if you argue that 8 is sunnat?

Because I agree with the scholars that say that 20 minimum is sunnah, not 8. According to the scholars I agree with, you'd have to pray 20, not 8, to fulfill the requirement of Taraweeh. The only reason I bring up 8 is because some scholars (who I don't agree with on this issue) do see 8 as the sunnah and they have their reasoning for it and if you're having trouble with Taraweeh, it's better to follow a ruling that some scholars do recommend rather than not follow a scholarly ruling at all (i.e. praying 4 raka'ats only).

Because I agree with the scholars that say that 20 minimum is sunnah, not 8. According to the scholars I agree with, you'd have to pray 20, not 8, to fulfill the requirement of Taraweeh. The only reason I bring up 8 is because some scholars do see 8 as the sunnah and if you're having trouble with Taraweeh, it's better to follow a ruling that some scholars do recommend rather than not follow a scholarly ruling at all (i.e. praying 4 raka'ats only).
to me that statement contradicts itself. praying 8 turns into just extra sunnat but not tarabi because it's not 20 even though the person's intention is to pray 8 rakats of tarabi. so it doesn't count, but it counts.

Ashes

Banned
Because I agree with the scholars that say that 20 minimum is sunnah, not 8. According to the scholars I agree with, you'd have to pray 20, not 8, to fulfill the requirement of Taraweeh. The only reason I bring up 8 is because some scholars (who I don't agree with on this issue) do see 8 as the sunnah and they have their reasoning for it and if you're having trouble with Taraweeh, it's better to follow a ruling that some scholars do recommend rather than not follow a scholarly ruling at all (i.e. praying 4 raka'ats only).

The people who pray 11 rakat call it the nightly prayers right? Qiyam Al-Layl or Tahajjud [Tahajjud is more common]?

Now go see what the minimum is for tahajjud. Or what the scholars say is the minimum.

Edit:Apologies.. I didn't mean to reply and carry on... I'll keep it here anyway cause I already posted.. but debates on issues such as this have not been resolved for a millennia [is it fixed? is it 11 rakat? or 20?], I honestly don't expect it to be resolved on gaf.

to me that statement contradicts itself. praying 8 turns into just extra sunnat but not tarabi because it's not 20 even though the person's intention is to pray 8 rakats of tarabi. so it doesn't count, but it counts.

How is it contradictory? There are scholars who say that 20 is the minimum and others who say 8 is the minimum to fulfill the requirement for Taraweeh. I follow the former. If someone is having trouble performing Taraweeh, it's better to follow a scholarly opinion that is more lenient than to not follow a scholarly opinion at all.

The people who pray 11 rakat call it the nightly prayers right? Qiyam Al-Layl or Tahajjud [Tahajjud is more common]?

Now go see what the minimum is for tahajjud. Or what the scholars say is the minimum.

No, those who pray 8 raka'ats in Ramadhan call those 8 raka'ats as Taraweeh and hold a separate qiyam-ul-layl. This happens everywhere in the Middle East where 20 raka'ats aren't the norm (outside of Makkah). This also happens in many Western mosques that have an overwhelmingly Arab congregation.

Shengar

Fast metabolism FTW!

Just find a workout schedule that suits your body type and give it time.
You fast metabolism folks always makes me salty ;__;
It's all on the diet. Cut your sugar intake, eat less calories and try to cardio 30 minutes before iftar.

I actually follow my diet from Ramadan during my 1st highschool years where I successfuly lost 5kg. But from your post, I just remember one big difference: I consume too much sugar this time around. Thank you, I keep that in mind.

How is it contradictory? There are scholars who say that 20 is the minimum and others who say 8 is the minimum to fulfill the requirement for Taraweeh. I follow the former. If someone is having trouble performing Taraweeh, it's better to follow a scholarly opinion that is more lenient than to not follow a scholarly opinion at all.
how can 8 be a separate sunnat and a sunnat of minimum tarabi at the same time?
Edit:Apologies.. I didn't mean to reply and carry on... I'll keep it here anyway cause I already posted.. but debates on issues such as this have not been resolved for a millennia [is it fixed? is it 11 rakat? or 20?], I honestly don't expect it to be resolved on gaf.
too late, he responded =P

Ashes

Banned
too late, he responded =P

well I'm done anyway... If you're interested you can look up the how Qiyam Al-Layl came to be known as the Taraweeh.

Because 'Taraweeh' isn't in the Quran or Hadeeth. It's known as the night prayers.

For all the grief I give them, sometimes it's easier to debate with scholars in the mosque.

I know you have some sort of issue with scholars for some reason, but this is the safest way for those of us who are not scholars.

I was going to reply to this earlier. You can read up on how the great scholars such as Hanifi reasoned their shariah - they give their own opinion and judge what is best.- which is different to 'listen to me, I know best because I'm knowledgeable about the hadith (anybody can memorise the hadith or hold great libraries at their finger tips these days) etc'.

But some of their reasoning that has led to property 'laws' for example I do not agree with. Just as they appear to disagree with each other. They are clear in how they reasoned, I just don't agree with their line of reasoning. I understand that some of these are very profoundly difficult judgements to call such as justice when it comes to rape or compensation etc and I can respect that it's difficult.

On a lot of stuff they're very good on though. You can see why there are the four main religious schools of thought in Sunni Islam, and have more respect for them.

And If I am wrong [ in debating you or others scholar or otherwise and trying to use my own god given ability to reason], hopefully tis the month Allah will forgive me, because it is unintentionally done.

well I'm done anyway... If you're interested you can look up the how Qiyam Al-Layl came to be known as the Taraweeh.

Because 'Taraweeh' isn't in the Quran or Hadeeth. It's known as the night prayers.

For all the grief I give them, sometimes it's easier to debate with scholars in the mosque.
i'm not really enjoying the discussion either. i guess since 4 doesn't count I just won't do tarabi unless it's the full 20.

how can 8 be a separate sunnat and a sunnat of minimum tarabi at the same time?too late, he responded =P

It can be separate depending on which scholars you listen to. According to some scholars, 8 raka'ats is the amount required to fulfill Taraweeh. According to others, only 20 is the amount that fulfills it.

The scholars who separate qiyam-ul-layl and Taraweeh (i.e. those that pray 20 raka'ats and many who pray 8 raka'ats as well) will disagree with what you've just said.

I was going to reply to this earlier. You can read up on how the great scholars such as Hanifi reasoned their shariah - they give their own opinion and judge what is best.- which is different to 'listen to me, I know best because I'm knowledgeable about the hadith (anybody can memorise the hadith or hold great libraries at their finger tips these days) etc'.

I am a Hanafi. I follow the Hanafi madhhab. I know what you're talking about. In fact, the Hanafi school got a lot of flak from non-Hanafis for using analogy and extrapolation to reach many verdicts. The Hanafi school was the one that was the most dynamic and most adaptive because of this reliance on analogy. But again, this reliance on analogy never extended to rejecting or overriding ahadeeth.

But some of their reasoning that has led to property 'laws' for example I do not agree with. Just as they appear to disagree with each other. They are clear in how they reasoned, I just don't agree with their line of reasoning. I understand that some of these are very profoundly difficult judgements to call such as justice when it comes to rape or compensation etc and I can respect that it's difficult.

On a lot of stuff they're very good on though. You can see why there are the four main religious schools of thought in Sunni Islam, and have more respect for them.

And If I am wrong [ in debating you or others scholar or otherwise and trying to use my own god given ability to reason], hopefully tis the month Allah will forgive me, because it is unintentionally done.

The problem with people using reason without having a strong foundation of knowledge is that they end up using their reason to override ahadeeth or even the Qur'an. That is why laypeople are advised to stick to a madhhab and not experiment. After all, playing with one's deen is not a good thing. You have every right to ask the scholars for proofs and evidence, but to override what the scholars say without having a sound knowledge base is a poor approach. I don't have a knowledge bank of thousands of ahadeeth. I don't have any intention of becoming a scholar. That is why I stick with what the scholars say. And unlike Christianity or Judaism, we don't have any central pope or grand rabbi overriding any differences amongst the scholars so where there do exist legitimate differences, we are then given the choice, to reason and choose a more adventurous but potentially dangerous path or to be more conservative and choose the safer path (a rather benign example is the ruling in the Hanafi madhhab on eating shrimp; with some scholars saying it is makrooh to haraam to simply permissible! There's no majority opinion on this issue in the Hanafi madhhab).

After all, we are told to stick to the majority. The Prophet PBUH said, "Verily Allah will not unite my ummah on misguidance, and the hand of Allah is with the Jama‘ah, and whoever is isolated, is isolated in the Fire." The Jama'ah is the majority group, as mentioned in many ahadeeth.

Ever since I dropped roti from my diet the fasting has gotten better. Not feeling the hunger pangs in the morning is such a big relief. How good/bad is plain omellette, low fat yogurt and low fat cheese for suhoor?

I'm already down 6-7 pounds.

Feels bad because I just decided to take a month off from the gym, but I'm hoping the fat goes before the muscle!

In any case, 6-7 lbs is not bad at all. Last year I was diagnosed with celiac's disease right before ramadan and I ended up losing something like 15-20 lbs.

Ashes

Banned
After all, we are told to stick to the majority. The Prophet PBUH said, "Verily Allah will not unite my ummah on misguidance, and the hand of Allah is with the Jama‘ah, and whoever is isolated, is isolated in the Fire." The Jama'ah is the majority group, as mentioned in many ahadeeth.

Some of the rulings are too slow to change as a result.
It is why we get things such as FGM so widespread in some places. so thanks, but no thanks..
Allah will ask me why I support such practises when he has made absolutely clear to me which way the right path lies... and I am afraid that I will have no answer..

I've already said I'll just do the 20 or won't do it at all.

It's the month of Ramadhan. Any extra ibadah is beneficial. You could even pray 2 raka'ats and see that as qiyam-ul-layl. It will count as a fardh act since it's Ramadhan.

Some of the rulings are too slow to change as a result.
It is why we get things such as FGM so widespread in some places. so thanks, but no thanks..
Allah will ask me why I support such practises when he has made absolutely clear to me which way the right path lies... and I am afraid that I will have no answer..

This is a very naive and impatient approach. If you think what Islam specifies with regards to female circumcision is the same as FGM, then you don't really know what Islam prescribes. Yes, FGM is commonplace because many people are not educated with what Islam prescribes, but that doesn't mean the fault lies in Islam. Female circumcision is explicitly mentioned in ahadeeth. How do you suppose we overturn something that the Prophet PBUH himself recommended (or in the case of Shafi'is, made obligatory)?

And if you want to know what Islam prescribes, look at Indonesia or Malaysia where female circumcision is practiced (they practice the Shafi'i madhhab). It is treated the same way as male circumcision, with doctors performing the procedure at a young age. This is in stark contrast to what happens and to what extent female cutting happens in Africa among Muslim and non-Muslim Africans. Obviously in Islam, health and safety supersedes any ruling so if there IS a fear of infection/death/worsening quality of life, even the Shafi'i scholars warn against circumcision, both male AND female.

Oogedei

Let me give my 2 cents:

Allah knows best.

So long as you have the right intentions, then don't worry about 8 or 20. Pray as much as you can and pray that Allah accepts all your prayers.

Word. Let's leave it at that and stick to the peaceful Ramadan discussion.

Let me give my 2 cents:

Allah knows best.

So long as you have the right intentions, then don't worry about 8 or 20. Pray as much as you can and pray that Allah accepts all your prayers.
True...ah, I need to have more faith in this stuff (and God). Ramadan could be doing better for me or vice versa.

It's the month of Ramadhan. Any extra ibadah is beneficial. You could even pray 2 raka'ats and see that as qiyam-ul-layl. It will count as a fardh act since it's Ramadhan.

My thoughts as well. Praying 4 is better than not praying at all.
I'll do 4, maybe 8, the nights before I don't have work. Then on weekends I'll go to the masjid.
Word. Let's leave it at that and stick to the peaceful Ramadan discussion.
I second that...I liked when I was having nice discussions here with others.

The Abdullah Bros post some incredibly inspiring things on their Facebook page. Most recently:

11070264_859662717420945_283224784258857306_n.jpg

A smile, a greeting and a handshake:

Hamza and I were heading down to Masjid Al Haram to pray Maghrib and do our farewell tawaf of The Ka'ba. As we entered into the Masjid we saw one of the Saudi security guards. We smiled cheerfully and said "As Salamu Alaikum!" Gave the brother a handshake and a big hug. He was excited and puzzled as to why he was getting this treatment. He asked us "Min Ayna? Where are you from?" We said "Amriki, America." He then realized we were just two happy American Muslims excited to meet one of our brothers in Islam. He says "Ah, USA." He raises his hands and begins to make dua for Muslims and non-Muslims in America. We all say "Ameen." Give our Salam and part ways.

After making tawaf, Hamza and I line up for Maghrib prayer. We got there early so we were in about the 3rd row. As we're awaiting the Adhan we see our security guard friend clearing the space for the Imam. Hamza says "Husain look, it's the shaykh." We both smile and say "As Salamu Alaikum" as we wave and gesture like a saluting soldier. The brother remembers us and gives the Salam back with a smile. He then starts making a kissing gesture with his hands and lips. Hamza and I were trying to figure out what's going on because our Arabic language (and Arabic sign language) is about 1st grade level. He starts to gesture for us to come forward. We realize, he wants us to come forward and kiss Al Hajr Aswad (The Black Stone). This stone is sought to be kissed and touched by everyone around the world. Why? It's a small piece of Paradise!

Hamza and I enthusiastically start to make our way to the front. We sit and wait patiently for our opportunity. A Saudi guard comes up to us "Hajji" and gestures for us to leave. Our guy steps in and says "Ithnain" (two) as he puts up two fingers as if to say "they're with me". He then says "USA, good for Dawah." Now We're gassed up because this brother is giving us VIP treatment to The Black Stone. Calmly and in a moment of tranquility in the hustling and bustling city of Makkah, Hamza and I kiss Al Hajr Aswad. Allahu Akbar!!!

We give our Salam and head back to the ranks for prayer. Hamza says "man, Shaykh Sudais leading salah would be icing on the cake." Sudais is our favorite reciter of Qur'an. A few minutes go by and the Algerian man next to me says "Sudais!". Hamza and I stand attentively with smiles as Sudais walks in. Allahu Akbar! We break our fast, pray Maghrib behind Sudais as he recited beautifully with heart shaking emotion and then we headed back to the hotel for our departure of Makkah.

Walking back we reflected on what just took place. We practiced two sunnah's of the Prophet Muhammad (SAWS). Smiling and spreading the Salam. Two simple things that anyone can do and our Ummah is in much need of. It does us no good to walk around with smug looks on our faces and not to greet one another when we see each other. A smile, a greeting and a handshake got us VIP treatment to kiss the most coveted stone in the whole world. #SmileItsSunnah #SpreadSalamItsSunnah #Ramadan #Makkah #Peace #Love #OneUmmah

https://www.facebook.com/AbdullahBrothers/posts/859662717420945:0

Anon67

Ever since I dropped roti from my diet the fasting has gotten better. Not feeling the hunger pangs in the morning is such a big relief. How good/bad is plain omellette, low fat yogurt and low fat cheese for suhoor?

Sounds like what I eat for suhoor, excluding the cheese. Seems fine. My omelettes consist of two eggs btw.

Honestly, I'd do the same thing. Its a once in a life time experience so I want to remember it.
I don't mind taking pictures or selfies in front of Kaaba as long as you are sitting in a prayer area and out of the tawaf zone. Last year, this dude hanging near the door of the kaaba taking a bunch of selfies, holding up traffics. Just wouldn't go. I wanted to say something but didn't.

so yesterday when my coworker was telling me I should buy lunch before the cafeteria closes since I didn't bring lunch, I told her I wasn't eating because I was fasting, which started a pretty long and (broken up because we kept getting members) interesting, and respectful conversation. she learned how Jesus is a part of Islam, and stuff like that, something she didn't know before. and the discussion eventually turned into discussions about israel/palestine, healthcare (lol), as well as me telling her about my troubles during new years, I dunno if any of you guys ever saw that thread of mine ---> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963721&highlight=

and today we talked about Jesus's second coming, the anti-christ, gog and magog, raptures, it was cool.

Ramadan halfway done. What are your experiences/thoughts so far?
I need to do more.

Again another day goes by, and for the month collectively, I've barely touched the Qur'an.

I've spent a lot of my time with distractions...such as the Uncharted 4 reveal, stuff like that, you know.

z3phon

Oh man it was a bad idea going golfing with friends today. This has been the hardest day for me so far, 4 more hours left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom