• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Assuming that March is still the release date, they could have just delayed the release date too to mid or fall 2017...unfortunately a delay it's not that unlikely at all. I hope that won't be the case

A delay is moderately unlikely, though, since Nintendo continues to cite March 2017 is the release month.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They're not showing NX this year, are they? The timing for this year is just getting more and more problematic between Neo reveal, Pokemon release, and hopes for holiday sales...

Only thing I can think is an October reveal to appease investors before their quarterly meeting, while keeping this supposed Pokemon NX project under wraps until next year.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/770290081185746944

new 3ds XL announced for 199$

Still, the NX way more expensive and powerfull will also cost 199$ (well some people think it will).

I think all of this is a bit strange, Nintendo still pushing new 3ds versions. I know it would be probably for the holliday, but if they announce the NX in september, who still going to buy it?

For these reasons I'm starting to believe in the idea that NX won't be announced until after Pokemon. Getting Reggie to shoot a video for something that would be made obsolete in couple of weeks would be counter-productive, so probably the announcement is still far away.

jehuty

What are the chances that Nintendo actually looks at threads such as this one, on this forum and others, and the executives just laugh? With all the rumors and speculation going on, I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo itself is leaking bad information. I mean, yeah I could hurt Nintendo more than anything, but maybe they feel they got something good on their hands and want to have fun with the whole situation. Remember how wrong almost everybody was about the WiiU? I have a feeling that we are heading that direction again.

AdanVC

Just imagine how much harder the waiting will be when you see the new games you won't get to play for 6+ months. 😉

Trueeeee omg. I'm already having that experience with Zelda BotW. Then I got mad remembering we're still 6 months at least of being able to play it! Quality games take time but this has been just too much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lol at Reggie announcing the Galaxy 3DS. Wth kind of troll stuff is this. Dude knows how bad we want to know about NX and he's the top dog still doing videos about the 3DS.

I can't be the only one who thinks that's merely a setup to announcing Mario Galaxy 3 for NX. That 3DS design is so completely random. It has to be leading to something.

21XX

Banned
What are the chances that Nintendo actually looks at threads such as this one, on this forum and others, and the executives just laugh? With all the rumors and speculation going on, I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo itself is leaking bad information. I mean, yeah I could hurt Nintendo more than anything, but maybe they feel they got something good on their hands and want to have fun with the whole situation. Remember how wrong almost everybody was about the WiiU? I have a feeling that we are heading that direction again.

I have a strong feeling that a billion-dollar, global corporation does not in fact haunt gaf and purposely leak bad information to "have fun."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For these reasons I'm starting to believe in the idea that NX won't be announced until after Pokemon. Getting Reggie to shoot a video for something that would be made obsolete in couple of weeks would be counter-productive, so probably the announcement is still far away.

It's a small video on Twitter, not even 50 seconds long. I think we're overestimating the importance of some specific things, especially considering how this new model is out during this week.

I sure hope we're both wrong.

We know they do. If 10k's NoA employee is to be believed, they do in fact get a barrel of laughs from threads like this. And I think there was actually a photo of Iwata browsing GAF during one e3 from 2 or 3 years back. Anyone got it? It might have been another Nintendo exec, but I recall Iwata being in the pic at least.

I don't believe they're leaking bad info, though. That's silly.

wrowa

They won't stop selling and marketing the 3DS after they've unvealed the NX. You are making a connection where there is none.

Schnozberry

I can't be the only one who thinks that's merely a setup to announcing Mario Galaxy 3 for NX. That 3DS design is so completely random. It has to be leading to something.

Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Remastered for NX Launch. Galaxy 3 for the first holiday season.

Assuming that March is still the release date, they could have just delayed the release date too to mid or fall 2017...unfortunately a delay it's not that unlikely at all. I hope that won't be the case

kids

nx is launching november 2017

yes they lied to investors

Nintendo does not make a habit of delaying hardware launches, once release months are announced. I believe the N64 was the last time this happened.

So no, I expect a March release at this point because I see no reason to assume otherwise.

Schnozberry

We know they do. If 10k's NoA employee is to be believed, they do in fact get a barrel of laughs from threads like this. And I think there was actually a photo of Iwata browsing GAF during one e3 from 2 or 3 years back. Anyone got it? It might have been another Nintendo exec, but I recall Iwata being in the pic at least.

I don't believe they're leaking bad info, though. That's silly.

If I had a bunch of yahoo's making up conspiracy theories about the company I work for on the internet, I'd 100% lurk for the LOLs.

Malus

I'm putting my faith in the Nicowav September 20ish reveal rumor.

As for the "weaker than Wii U" thing that has popped up in the last couple pages, what the heck lol? Nobody, no halfway credible insider or publication or anything, has so much as hinted at the possibility. In fact it's been the opposite for a long time now, and so close to the potential reveal you'd think if that were the case there would've been some correpsonding rumors.

I'm putting my faith in the Nicowav September 20ish reveal rumor.

As for the "weaker than Wii U" thing that has popped up in the last couple pages, what the heck lol? Nobody, no halfway credible insider or publication or anything, as so much as hinted at the possibility. In fact it's been the opposite for a long time now, and so close to the potential reveal you'd think if that were the case there would've been some correpsonding rumors.

It's the PTSD from the WUSTs.

People are trying their hardest to lower their expectations so they can be pleasantly surprised when it's revealed.

Really?, You need to be a bit more down to earth.

WiiU software has been proven to work in weaker hardware with considerable amounts of compromise. If you think BotW can't be ported to a more modern but waker hardware you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Of course I know that but you ignore everything what have being said about the NX so far and just assume it will be weak because Nintendo. And now lets stop this talk because it is pure nonsense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Remastered for NX Launch. Galaxy 3 for the first holiday season.

Even better idea. A handheld waggle-free 720p version of both games at launch for NX would cement it as the greatest software launch of all time.

Vena

To add to that:

An top of devouring the money they made since the PS1 era, the PS3 ate all the money they were making of the PSP. It was such a massive catastrophe that Sony has been in the videogame industry....essentially for free up to 2009/2010.

Nintendo wouldn't have survived a PS3.

The Japanese domestic console market barely survived the PS3. Japan would have/could have been a far healthier market for consoles had developers moved to the Wii but too many were (and still are) ingrained in their old PS2 roots.

Nintendo's sales strategy for FY17 is very focused on 3DS for the holiday season, my guess is they wanted a new SKU for the new 3DS XL in order to drive those sales ahead of Pokémon Sun/Moon.

Space iconography is definitely nothing new for Nintendo, so it could be leading up to actual software - hard to say for sure at this point.

KingBroly

Banned
The Japanese domestic console market barely survived the PS3. Japan would have/could have been a far healthier market for consoles had developers moved to the Wii but too many were (and still are) ingrained in their old PS2 roots.
You could say that with western devs too. Many a lost jobs by focusing on AAA games that failed

Mithos

I'm here as well except I think it'll be closer to XB1 than Wii U, and I fully expect a dock to increase power on a TV screen within the first 18-24 months. Maybe holiday 2018?

That would place it rather high on the Gflops scale would it not, like ~600+? I'm not so sure about it, but would be happy if it were?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They won't stop selling and marketing the 3DS after they've unvealed the NX.

Of course they won't, that's not the point. The timing, the price, the way it was introduced gave me this feeling that NX is still a bit away from announcement.

Vena

That would place it rather high on the Gflops scale would it not, like ~600+? I'm not so sure about it, but would be happy if it were?

Architectural gains over GCN 1.1, and the WiiU's older build, could still put the NX far closer to the XBone than to the WiiU.

Old ports and a rehash. What could go wrong? *looks at WiiU* Oh...
Mario and at least a handful of other IPs need a reimagining on par with Zelda, otherwise they don't even need to bother trying to regain relevance in the console market.

Hermii

There are probably some treehouse people lurking in here, but I doubt executives in Japan.

Old ports and a rehash. What could go wrong? *looks at WiiU* Oh...
Mario and at least a handful of other IPs need a reimagining on par with Zelda, otherwise they don't even need to bother trying to regain relevance in the console market.

Tell me...why would a third Mario Galaxy be a rehash??
So Mario is not relevant in the industry anymore? Sorry but tell me, did you still see the numbers his games sell even on a doomed console like the Wii U?
You need to reimaging your posts otherwise you dont even need to bother to regain relevace on NeoGaf.

Davey Cakes

Didn't Kimishima say that the NX was meant to coexist with Wii U and 3DS?

In that sense, continuing to push 3DS while NX is looming doesn't sound unreasonable. Nintendo are keeping people's options open.

That said. The pricing at $200 definitely makes me think that, in seven months, we'll be seeing NX for around $250-$300 if it's a truly modern machine with high end mobile chips. 3DS can't drop in value that much before March, right? And NX would have to be a substantial leap above 3DS if what we're lead to believe is true.

Malus

I would prefer the next Mario be something brand new. The last one we got was a sequel, even if it had a lot of new ideas.

That said I certainly wouldn't be upset about a sequel to the best 3D Mario games :) And I know it'd make a lot of people happy.

udivision

Didn't Kimishima say that the NX was meant to coexist with Wii U and 3DS?

Even ignoring that the Wii U is dead and the 3DS's support will dry up a few months after the NX launches, statements like that typically have no meaning in the gaming industry.

mStudios

Don't we already know? Nintendo is the only company that is not allowed to make direct sequels of their games.

Don't you remember the shitstorm that Mario Galaxy 2 caused?
Donkey Kong TF? etc etc.

maxcriden

I would prefer the next Mario be something brand new. The last one we got was a sequel, even if it had a lot of new ideas.

That said I certainly wouldn't be upset about a sequel to the best 3D Mario games :) And I know it'd make a lot of people happy.

You'll be heartened to know that at E3 Miyamoto hinted they'll be trying to do something new and different with Mario for the next iteration.

For what it's worth, Miyamoto said something along the lines of, "I hope people look forward to a brand new style of Mario game in the next 2-3 years" when asked about the direction of the series.

MoonFrog

A fresh visual style would be nice too. 3D World looked a lot like Galaxy without the space back drop. Something like going from Mario 3 to world would be cool, but probably not going to happen.

Malus

You'll be heartened to know that at E3 Miyamoto hinted they'll be trying to do something new and different with Mario for the next iteration.

For what it's worth, Miyamoto said something along the lines of, "I hope people look forward to a brand new style of Mario game in the next 2-3 years" when asked about the direction of the series.

I hope he was talking about both the 2D and 3D series.

A fresh visual style would be nice too. 3D World looked a lot like Galaxy without the space back drop. Something like going from Mario 3 to world would be cool, but probably not going to happen.

Really? It looked like next-gen 3D Land to me. I think the Galaxy games have the best presentation in the series overall. Just a lot of interesting designs, greater sense of scale and a more organic look. Though 3D World does have some wow moments like the train levels and a few epic views.

Captain Toad really took the artstyle to another level by having more interesting settings (wild west, arabian nights, gardens, an actual ghost house etc.)

Vena

So we have a decently reliable leak that says Sept 20th, and people are jumping through hoops to say "not this year" for NX? Uhhhh...?

Why?

In that sense, continuing to push 3DS while NX is looming doesn't sound unreasonable. Nintendo are keeping people's options open.

That said. The pricing at $200 definitely makes me think that, in seven months, we'll be seeing NX for around $250-$300 if it's a truly modern machine with high end mobile chips. 3DS can't drop in value that much before March, right? And NX would have to be a substantial leap above 3DS if what we're lead to believe is true.

New 3DS XL is priced at $200 because Nintendo isn't seeing or anticipating a huge YoY sales decline to prompt a price cut.

I don't think the price of New 3DS XL telegraphs anything about the price for NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom