• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Ubisoft won't comment on Wii U version of Watch Dogs

NewGame

Banned
How well did Assassin's Creed sell on WiiU? I have a feeling that's pretty much the audience you'd expect to buy Watch Dogs.

Sendou

Nintendo France should know if this game is still in development. If it isn't, I hardly think they'd show it as an upcoming 2014 title.

This is like that one time when that Nintendo rep mentioned Donkey Kong along their big holiday titles and people were convinced that it really wasn't delayed because how could someone be misinformed like that?

I don't think Nintendo of France has this information.

MarkusRJR

This is just getting dumb now. Ubisoft needs to just say what the fuck is happening. Not announcing the cancellation is merely holding off the anger of the minuscule number of people that care about the Wii U version and making them look bad to everyone else in the process..

Bd4AbTwIAAAk_oZ.jpg

Nintendo France should know if this game is still in development. If it isn't, I hardly think they'd show it as an upcoming 2014 title.
If Sony, someone who is actually communicative to developers, wasn't aware of the Watch_Dogs delay until days (or was it a few weeks) before launch I somehow doubt Nintendo Frace would know. Sony had a hardware bundle with the game too, lol...

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The writing's on the wall for the WiiU version of Watch Dog. A confirmation it's still coming out would be the surprise for me.

holland666

I'm not suprise if they cancelled the game for Wii U. And possibly also for Xbox one. Sales are dropping to Wii U levels here in Europe

Baleoce

If the game is/was in late development for Wii U, they should just release it as an eShop exclusive, if they're worried about physical retail performance.

This game gets so much hype, have no idea why.

I am guilty of kind of hyping it when it was first revealed but since then, it looks like your typical Assassin's Creed type game with a different premise.

The gameplay doesn't look that good to me at all.

Sucks if it's cancelled for those who wanted a Wii U version but I have a feeling it's not going to be a big loss at all.

Now if you are talking about the fact that it would end Ubisoft's support for the system as they were the last bastion of hope as far as third party is concerned, they would fly the coop anyway when the game sold predictably poor.

69wpm

Watch Dogs was delayed mid October.

This ad came out about month beforehand.

I don't see the relevance. The ad I posted came out in January this year. Sure, Ubisoft is unpredictable at the moment, but I think some people are only seeing what they want to see.

How well did Assassin's Creed sell on WiiU? I have a feeling that's pretty much the audience you'd expect to buy Watch Dogs.

IIRC AssCreed4 sold 6,000 copies in it's first month on Wii U. SIX-THOUSAND. And that's an established IP. At this point it would probably be financially irresponsible for Ubi to continue development and release of the Wii U version. It would sell like dog shit.

Seriously though, if I were Ubisoft I would officially bail long time ago. WiiU owners just don't buy enough games to support 3rd party.

I'm not suprise if they cancelled the game for Wii U. And possibly also for Xbox one. Sales are dropping to Wii U levels here in Europe

WTF?

Xater

Like I said time and time again, I will not be shocked if it is canceled. It's most likely not going to compare well to the PS4/Xbone versions and the sales will most likely not warrant the port either. Saving the money on the port seems smart to me.

KarmaCow

I don't see the relevance. The ad I posted came out in January this year. Sure, Ubisoft is unpredictable at the moment, but I think some people are only seeing what they want to see.

The people making those ads or even the marketing team might not be privy to decisions in motion.

sakipon

The easy way to do this would be to ask about the status of all the other versions

I was wondering if anyone did this. Wouldn't be surprised if they simply had a policy of not commenting to such things. It'd be a full time job if one decides to start interacting with online rumors.

kmax

This just shows that at the end of the day, an "unprecedented partnership" doesn't mean jack shit if the console in question doesn't have a substantial share in the market. Just ask EA.

It doesn't matter how good buddies Nintendo and Ubisoft are, at the end of the day, business is business, and companies will start look after themselves first and foremost. They're not in the business of losing money, so it's pretty straight forward.

Wii U's pretty much obsolete in the eyes of the third parties, at this point.

Shiggy

This just shows that at the end of the day, an "unprecedented partnership" doesn't mean jack shit if the console in question doesn't have a substantial share in the market. Just ask EA.

It doesn't matter how good buddies Nintendo and Ubisoft are, at the end of the day, business is business, and companies will start look after themselves first and foremost. They're not in the business of losing money, so it's pretty straight forward.

Wii U's pretty much obsolete in the eyes of the third parties, at this point.

Not just third parties, sir.

jakncoke

Banned
According to Ubi a WiiU port of a PS360 game costs $1.3m which I make out to be around ~80k sold @ $60 for Ubi to break even.

so....yea....It's not surprising.

Ubi would only get 27% of the revenue in this scenario. That seems low

NHale

Considering what people were saying about the PS3/X360 version back in October, I would be shocked if this is the only platform that end up being cancelled. In fact, considering the state of the game I would be shocked if this launches before Fall 2014.

I'm going to guess that Ubisoft don't want to risk this new IP because people saw or played a broken last-gen version, so they will end up cancelling last-gen versions.

Or not seeing what they don't want to see...

Skeff

Ubi would only get 27% of the revenue in this scenario. That seems low

Maybe a little low, but manufacturing, shipping, distribution, retail, platform holders cut.

The 80k is just a guesstimation, but it's significantly higher than the 6k assassins creed sales in month 1.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I will be more surprised now if the game is released, honestly. And even if it is, the damage is done. (Who'd preorder the WiiU version with all this uncertainty?)

mindsale

So if Nintendo bails on the console and it sits on its tragically-uninvested-in-additional-studios 10 billion dollar warchest (to come back with a triumphant exer-console in 2016), could it re-attract third parties again? Have they finally learned that since the N64 only first-party titles generate profit on Nintendo machines?

With the Wii U, I really just hope they get Smash Bros out - I've bought four Pro Controllers for it. After that I'll consider my launch day purchase justified. I've lost hope for a Wii U Zelda now beyond Hyrule Warriors, if that even makes it out. But God, I want a Smash with those fantastic Pro Controllers - probably the only substitute for a Gamecube controller I'd accept.

bigmf

Why do people preorder games at all?

I pre-order games when there are pre-order bonuses I want. I generally put my 5 bucks down a week before release. I have no idea why someone would put more money down or do it any earlier.

rjinaz

That Nintendo ad means nothing because there's no way in hell X makes it in 2014.

You shut your dirty mouth! I have doubts but I'm choosing to believe. But then again, Nintendo hasn't shown us anything in what, over a year now?

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I'm not too worried. Nintendo already confirmed their next console (will it be their last? Probably not but I don't know but I'll enjoy that one too.) In the end a cancellation would save me money. I'd only be buying it to support third parties on Nintendo systems... I'm actually not interested in this game at all :/ Outside of Aisha Tyler's voice acting.

BibiMaghoo

Game looks bad anyway...

Wii u needs Gtav

You know, if Nintendo had bothered to try and get GTAV on the system, it could have done really well, had it come at the same time as PS360. It could well have been the best version, and many people - myself included - didn't really want to play the game on the older systems, but had no choice.

As obvious as it is, that was a real missed trick on Nintendo's part.

ymmv

Banned
That Nintendo ad means nothing because there's no way in hell X makes it in 2014.

Xenoblade was released in Japan on June 10, 2010. Monolith Games have been working on X for 3 1/2 years already. I just don't see how Nintendo would give til 2015 to finish that game when the fate of the Wii U is not certain at all. Better to get that game out the door this year.

Tobor

You know, if Nintendo had bothered to try and get GTAV on the system, it could have done really well, had it come at the same time as PS360. It could well have been the best version, and many people - myself included - didn't really want to play the game on the older systems, but had no choice.

As obvious as it is, that was a real missed trick on Nintendo's part.

They had no chance at GTA V.

A more realistic goal would have been purchasing the Saints Row IP and Volition when they had a chance. They could have outbid Deep Silver no problem.

This would have pissed off a lot of people, sure, but it would have signaled an intent to diversify and broaden their demographic.

boyshine

Nintendo would never pay for watch dogs. Game will do nothing for the wiiu anyways

Both yes and no really. Noone cares about Pacman Museum.. Watch Dogs on the other hand is a "AAA" game (while only a "A" game for Wii U), and news about Ubisoft cancelling it for Wii U because of low sales forecast is something they should pay to avoid at this time. The announcement could potentially have a ripple effect, causing all sorts of silent cancellations of in limbo unannounced games.

Top Bottom