• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Ubisoft won't comment on Wii U version of Watch Dogs

BibiMaghoo

They had no chance at GTA V.

A more realistic goal would have been purchasing the Saints Row IP and Volition when they had a chance. They could have outbid Deep Silver no problem.

This would have pissed off a lot of people, sure, but it would have signaled an intent to diversify and broaden their demographic.

I don't disagree with the Saints Row move, but why no chance for GTAV? I don't mean exclusive, I mean having the game launch at the same time as PS360, and in this scenario, the WiiU version may have been the best of them, which may have encouraged sales a little.

So we're basically at N64 level now.

You wouldn't be hearing a lot of complaints about the Wii U's lineup if it looked like the N64's second full year lineup. Here it is

February - Snowboard Kids, NBA In the Zone '98

March - 1080 Snowboarding, Quake 64, Vigilante 8, and Yoshi's Story

April - All-Star Baseball '99, Bust a Move 2: Arcade Edition, NBA Courtside, and Goemon

May - Banjo Kazooie, MLB Ken Griffey Jr., and World Cup '98

June - Mortal Kombat 4

August - Gex 64

September - Body Harvest, F-Zero X, ISS '98, Madden '99, and NFL Blitz

October - Turok 2 and WCW/NWO Revenge

November - FIFA '99, NBA Live '99, Nightmare Creatures, RUSH 2, Rogue Squadron, Zelda: OoT, Test Drive Overdrive, and Wipeout 64

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You wouldn't be hearing a lot of complaints about the Wii U's lineup if it looked like the N64's second full year lineup. Here it is

February - Snowboard Kids, NBA In the Zone '98

March - 1080 Snowboarding, Quake 64, Vigilante 8, and Yoshi's Story

April - All-Star Baseball '99, Bust a Move 2: Arcade Edition, NBA Courtside, and Goemon

May - Banjo Kazooie, MLB Ken Griffey Jr., and World Cup '98

June - Mortal Kombat 4

August - Gex 64

September - Body Harvest, F-Zero X, ISS '98, Madden '99, and NFL Blitz

October - Turok 2 and WCW/NWO Revenge

November - FIFA '99, NBA Live '99, Nightmare Creatures, RUSH 2, Rogue Squadron, Zelda: OoT, Test Drive Overdrive, and Wipeout 64

Yep. People forget that great games that regularly come out for the N64. The WiiU can only dream to be at that level.

Tobor

I don't disagree with the Saints Row move, but why no chance for GTAV? I don't mean exclusive, I mean having the game launch at the same time as PS360, and in this scenario, the WiiU version may have been the best of them, which may have encouraged sales a little.

Rockstar decided to focus on the two largest user bases, and I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell they would let another developer port their crown jewel IP.

If Rockstar was going to do a third platform at launch, it would obviously be PC, so the Wii U would still be out of the running.

You can't blame Rockstar either. Nobody purchased a Wii U, and the people who did aren't the right user base for GTA. Rockstar even gave Nintendo a try when they had a huge user base on the DS, and the game flopped. The market that buys Nintendo systems isn't a good fit for GTA.

It's Nintendo's responsibility to build a user base Rockstar can sell to. That's why I mentioned the Saints Row IP. If Nintendo really wanted GTA, they would work to change their brand and image. They clearly aren't interested in doing that.

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin' left
Cause I've been blasting and been laughed at so long,
That even Iwata thinks that my mind is gone

~Wii U

pretty sure Platinum Games is going to pull a judas iscariot after Bayonetta 2 is released. Isn't there a confirmed rumor that Platinum Games is working on an Xbox One exclusive game? i can't imagine given the choice, of a healthy console versus an anemic console like the Wii U, that platinum would make another Nintendo published game for Wii U over the Xbox One or PS4.

Yep. People forget that great games that regularly come out for the N64. The WiiU can only dream to be at that level.

Yeah, the N64 looked mediocre compared the PSone, which seemed to have a new big game released every other day. But in general it was actually fairly solid. From that list you can see that for the most part you had at least one solid game released once a month with the exceptions of January, July, and December. The GC's second full year was really solid as well. Filled with lots of good third party games.

Kyou

pretty sure Platinum Games is going to pull a judas iscariot after Bayonetta 2 is released. Isn't there a confirmed rumor that Platinum Games is working on an Xbox One exclusive game? i can't imagine given the choice, of a healthy console versus an anemic console like the Wii U, that platinum would make another Nintendo published game for Wii U over the Xbox One or PS4.
Platinum happily makes games for whoever gives them money.

RPGCrazied

Wouldn't be surprised it scrapped. Every other 3rd party left pretty much but Ubisoft. Its on other platforms, so it doesn't bother me as much.

I only care about 2 titles for the Wii U at the moment, and they are still in development. I hope. Thats X and the new Zelda(no, not the dynasty warriors clone). Long as those still release, I will buy a Wii U happily. Those games are system sellers to me.

Naminator

Banned
tumblr_m4g5rir2aX1qih3ojo1_500.gif

LMAO!

This one fits in so well!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This game gets so much hype, have no idea why.

I am guilty of kind of hyping it when it was first revealed but since then, it looks like your typical Assassin's Creed type game with a different premise.

The gameplay doesn't look that good to me at all.

Sucks if it's cancelled for those who wanted a Wii U version but I have a feeling it's not going to be a big loss at all.

Now if you are talking about the fact that it would end Ubisoft's support for the system as they were the last bastion of hope as far as third party is concerned, they would fly the coop anyway when the game sold predictably poor.

This is sort of my feelings too. Watch Dogs originally got a lot of hype because it was the only highlight in an incredibly lame E3 where Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all failed to deliver. However, everything I've seen since the initial trailer has made me less interested. The game doesn't look anywhere near as innovative as it did. (This isn't sour grapes about the Wii U version probably being cancelled, I have a gaming PC.)

It's a shame because the second screen could have worked quite well with inventory and hacking management without disrupting the action on the main screen, but of course when sales are as bad as they have been for Wii U I don't blame publishers too much for being reluctant to release anything..

Edit: Thought of the wrong publisher of the game.

BibiMaghoo

Rockstar decided to focus on the two largest user bases, and I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell they would let another developer port their crown jewel IP.

If Rockstar was going to do a third platform at launch, it would obviously be PC, so the Wii U would still be out of the running.

You can't blame Rockstar either. Nobody purchased a Wii U, and the people who did aren't the right user base for GTA. Rockstar even gave Nintendo a try when they had a huge user base on the DS, and the game flopped. The market that buys Nintendo systems isn't a good fit for GTA.

It's Nintendo's responsibility to build a user base Rockstar can sell to. That's why I mentioned the Saints Row IP. If Nintendo really wanted GTA, they would work to change their brand and image. They clearly aren't interested in doing that.

Hmm, I certainly agree that they would not want others to port the game, however a WiiU port would require considerably less resources than the PC version. It is one piece of hardware after all. A relatively small team could have handled this.

It's not a fault of Rockstar of course, but I think if Nintendo had made an effort it could have been good for them. I do not believe that the chinatown wars is a good example, it was not anything like the GTA games we have seen since GTA3 on the PS2. That non 3D approach put many people off, myself included. We would need a game in the same vein as VCS, or LCS to have seen that I think. But yes, the impetus is solely on Nintendo, for sure.

If they're being paid for it, why wouldn't they make another game?

Platinum isn't exactly in the position to choose work on a whim.

Considering Ubisoft has already cancelled DLC on the Wii U that people had already paid for.
Last I checked Warner and Ubisoft are not the same publisher.

Hmm, I certainly agree that they would not want others to port the game, however a WiiU port would require considerably less resources than the PC version. It is one piece of hardware after all. A relatively small team could have handled this.

Not even close to reality. The PC build of the game is infinitely easier than dealing with making the Rage engine run on The Wii U.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Source? And I hope you're not talking about the Nintendo Fusion fiasco/hoax

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/30/nintendo-talks-next-gen-console-plans-smartphone-games-and-health-platform-4282984/

What is clear though is that Nintendo has no intention of quitting the hardware business, as Iwata hinted at plans for new video game hardware after the 3DS and Wii U.

‘Dedicated video game platforms which integrate hardware and software will remain our core business,’ he said. ‘Naturally, we are moving ahead with research and development efforts for future hardware as we have done before and we are not planning to give up our own hardware systems and shift our axis toward other platforms’.

Iwata stated that any future home and portable consoles would be ‘like brothers’ – as well as being integrated with the new QOL platform.

Effectively, they have committed verbally the acknowledgment of a future system outside of the QOL concept. The one where they have an on demand service and you pay less based on the popularity of the game and the integrated account system they are testing on the wii u and 3ds.

Not sure why everyone is jumping the gun on this... Well that is a lie.
I know why. It is the cool thing to do.

I'm waiting for something more solid then tweets.

BibiMaghoo

Not even close to reality. The PC build of the game is infinitely easier than dealing with making the Rage engine run on The Wii U.

I don't understand this statement at all. It is obviously easier to get the game running on one piece of hardware than hundreds of combinations. If you are suggesting that the WiiU cannot run the engine, when the PS3 manages to do so, then I think you are just plain wrong, and should look again at what you consider 'close to reality'.

Yaoibot

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/30/nintendo-talks-next-gen-console-plans-smartphone-games-and-health-platform-4282984/

Effectively, they have committed verbally the acknowledgment of a future system outside of the QOL concept. The one where they have an on demand service and you pay less based on the popularity of the game and the integrated account system they are testing on the wii u and 3ds.

That quote is classic misdirection. He's saying a lot without really saying anything concrete at all. "We have a plan... For hardware... And services... In the future... Both outside and inside of traditional mediums..."

There is nothing concrete to that statement. No actual plans for a turnaround, no time-frame. Right now Iwata is just flapping his arms as fast as he can and hoping he can fly away. I can't see what strategic plan Nintendo could execute in the next two years (these things take time) that would A.) Save the Wii U B.) Reverse their fortunes C.) Create a disruptive or innovate product that the mass market adores.

Every scenario and outlook is grim. I don't know how many missed forecasts or crippling financial reports we need to see in a row before people accept what is happening.

I don't understand this statement at all. It is obviously easier to get the game running on one piece of hardware than hundreds of combinations. If you are suggesting that the WiiU cannot run the engine, when the PS3 manages to do so, then I think you are just plain wrong, and should look again at what you consider 'close to reality'.
Having made both Wii games and PC games, it's easier. Fixing a handful of rendering issues is nothing compared to making it work on a new confusing underpowered platform. The engine already runs on PC because GTA4 does.

By your logic, every PC game would be easier to put on the Wii U instead, since it is one platform.

That is only one tiny factor when making a game and it only comes into play towards the end.

BibiMaghoo

Having made both Wii games and PC games, it's easier. Fixing a handful of rendering issues is nothing compared to making it work on a new confusing underpowered platform. The engine already runs on PC because GTA4 does.

By your logic, every PC game would be easier to put on the Wii U instead, since it is one platform.

That is only one tiny factor when making a game and it only comes into play towards the end.

Well, I'll certainly bow to experience over a point of view. My point was that in comparison to platforms it is running on now, and at launch, it is not so underpowered. It is not a Wii. It can, and has, outperformed Ps360 in games on all these platforms. Cry engine runs on it, Unreal engine runs on it, luminous engine runs on it, Fox engine, etc.

If you say it would be easier for PC, having worked on both platforms, then fair enough. But I don't believe for a second the machine is incapable of it.

Ambient80

I'm not suprise if they cancelled the game for Wii U. And possibly also for Xbox one. are dropping to Wii U levels here in Europe

lolwut

Just to expand on this, Microsoft would throw so much money at the devs if they ever even let this thought enter their mind that it would be insane. There is absolutely zero chance in any ring of hell that MS would let Sony have this as a next-Gen exclusive. None. They'd buy Ubisoft before that happened.

JABEE

The real question is why Ubisoft continues to dance around the subject.

Surely if the game were coming as scheduled Ubisoft would want to flaunt that with a simple "Yes, it's still coming out for the Wii U." Any "no comment" or varieties of "no comment" as shown here immediately raises red flags.

Any Watch_Dogs cancellation/delay news would have an impact on their stock no matter how insignificant the WiiU is. Just quietly canceling it during their quarterly reports along side other news and reassurances that the other projects are on time would be better than seeing "Ubisoft Cancels Watch_Dogs..." in headlines of news articles a week before their quarterly investors briefing.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
That quote is classic misdirection. He's saying a lot without really saying anything concrete at all. "We have a plan... For hardware... And services... In the future... Both outside and inside of traditional mediums..."

There is nothing concrete to that statement. No actual plans for a turnaround, no time-frame. Right now Iwata is just flapping his arms as fast as he can and hoping he can fly away. I can't see what strategic plan Nintendo could execute in the next two years (these things take time) that would A.) Save the Wii U B.) Reverse their fortunes C.) Create a disruptive or innovate product that the mass market adores.

Every scenario and outlook is grim. I don't know how many missed forecasts or crippling financial reports we need to see in a row before people accept what is happening.

They have billions of dollars. BILLIONS of dollars. They are going to release another console. I don't doubt that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well look on the bright side. WiiU will still have er..... er.....

Massa

Well they want to sell almost 7 million copies so I'd be kind of surprised.

A few things to consider:

1) PS360 games sold far below expectations during holidays 2013, and the longer they wait the more these platforms will drop.

2) PS4 and Xbox One are selling far better than expectations;

3) The small glimpse of Watch Dogs we saw on PS360 looked awful.

4) The main appeal of the game is tied to next-gen. People were impressed by Watch Dogs from day 1 because it was the first glimpse of what a next-gen game could be.

The game's been delayed already anyway, if they launch it in September on PS4, Xbox One and PC I could see it doing well enough for a new IP debut.

cyberheater

The game's been delayed already anyway, if they launch it in September on PS4, Xbox One and PC I could see it doing well enough for a new IP debut.

Yes. I can see that happening. It would make the most sense. Ain't no way it's comin out on TurkeyU.

oti

Banned
I asked an European subsidiary a few days ago (when the rumour first broke) and got the same "No comment" line.

Stet

Banned
This just in...we have reports that Mario has decided to resign from Smash WiiU, stating, "yeah...um...my agent thinks this is really more of a Luigi project."

Luigi has declined to comment.

The more I think about this, the more I think the 360, PS3 and Wii U versions are all getting quitely cancelled. This game seems to be taking way longer to develop than they thought, and the current gen footage we've seen looked HORRIBLE. Everybody I've talked is buying Watch Dogs on either Xbone, PC, or PS4, current gen games sold much more poorly than initially expected over the holidays, and judging by the delay and shitty current-gen footage we saw, being cross-gen just seems to be holding the devs back.

Jigorath

Banned
The more I think about this, the more I think the 360, PS3 and Wii U versions are all getting quitely cancelled. This game seems to be taking way longer to develop than they thought, and the current gen footage we've seen looked HORRIBLE. Everybody I've talked is buying Watch Dogs on either Xbone, PC, or PS4, current gen games sold much more poorly than initially expected over the holidays, and judging by the delay and shitty current-gen footage we saw, being cross-gen just seems to be holding the devs back.

The majority of sales will come from the PS3/360 versions. They have an install base of 160m, no way is Ubisoft ignoring that audience. They'd lose millions.

They aren't going to cancel the versions for the systems with huge userbases who actually still buy software. This isn't a tech issue. It's strictly a "nobody buys Wii U's or Wii U games" issue.

Turok_TTZ

Was never interested so its not a loss for me.
however, that makes me part of the problem for Wii U doesn't it?
I only bought Wii U for Smash and Fire Emblem.

Top Bottom