• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Anyone got recommendations if I like Carissa's Wierd and This Is Twice Now by Lydia? I know it's not emo music but it's similar and I'm sure you broskies know of similar music

Try City and Colour. I am a big fan of Lydia so I can give more recs but City and Colour really come to mind.

Maybe From Indian Lakes or maybe some Owen, or Owel as well.

Start with those. Oh Polyenso is sick too

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah after going back to Jank again I gotta say. Versace summer is undoubtedly the best album, don't know how I didn't realise sooner.

kris.

Banned
Man kris. sure wasn't joking about Jeromes Dream vocalist. This shit is weird and I am not sure if I like it or not.

might try their album Presents, too. the vocals on that remind me a lot of Lightning Bolt. more yelly and distorted than high pitched shrieks. i personally like it more but i hear a lot of people say they prefer SMMTS.

myco666

might try their album Presents, too. the vocals on that remind me a lot of Lightning Bolt. more yelly and distorted than high pitched shrieks. i personally like it more but i hear a lot of people say they prefer SMMTS.

Well that sounds even weirder. I guess this stuff just needs some getting used to.

Y'all wanna do a secret santa or album exchange or something?

If not it's cool. We are a super small OT so there really isn't much guessing since there maybe like 20 of us at most. If there isn't enough interest then obviously let's not do it but maybe if we can get 10-15 of us that could be cool.

Thoughts?

An album exchange may be better.

myco666

Couldn't you just order from some US retailer and have them deliver to US gaffers and viceversa for EU folks? Atleast thats how the regular GAF secret santa works.

Also kiguel182 I have a question for you. Where do you buy records? I have a big trouble finding anything anywhere. Only found one Touche Amore album from my local (and probably the only one in the entire country) punk store and thats basically it for emo stuff unless I missed some. Even big ones like Coretex seem to not have that much stuff.

if anyone ever has a problem trying to find a record, go to discogs.com

Amazing site but you get addicted.

Yeah, I use it for wheeling and dealing, mostly. There's a guy nearby who runs a store who deliberately doesn't post prices on his records. But I'm a little leary of online used shopping, for some reason. I got an original Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain and it was great but in the same order, same shipper, a beat to hell and back Bob Dylan that was billed as VG+.
I've been meaning to put my collection up there for tracking.

Picked up a Small Brown Bike double from a seller at Fest who just wanted to get rid of them for 5 bucks. And GLOSS 7 inch because it's the absolute shit. Did NOT buy a Bong Mountain record because I was out of cash and now I want 2 dozen for gifts. Low key show of the weekend, all people who skewed a tad older and really knew them prior and were SUPER into it. So, so good.

But count my vote in the FOR secret santa idea.

Yeah, I use it for wheeling and dealing, mostly. There's a guy nearby who runs a store who deliberately doesn't post prices on his records. But I'm a little leary of online used shopping, for some reason. I got an original Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain and it was great but in the same order, same shipper, a beat to hell and back Bob Dylan that was billed as VG+.

Picked up a Small Brown Bike double from a seller at Fest who just wanted to get rid of them for 5 bucks. And GLOSS 7 inch because it's the absolute shit. Did NOT buy a Bong Mountain record because I was out of cash and now I want 2 dozen for gifts. Low key show of the weekend, all people who skewed a tad older and really knew them prior and were SUPER into it. So, so good.

Oh I only buy new from discogs still.

I mainly use it for a print I want that is sold out, or if there is a record that they don't print at all or some bigger bands that don't exactly need my money from actual music sales.

OKay well I guess since we can just do US amazon or uk amazon or whatever it may be we can do it that way.

Just want to make sure there is enough FOR before we actually do something.

kiguel182

Couldn't you just order from some US retailer and have them deliver to US gaffers and viceversa for EU folks? Atleast thats how the regular GAF secret santa works.

Also kiguel182 I have a question for you. Where do you buy records? I have a big trouble finding anything anywhere. Only found one Touche Amore album from my local (and probably the only one in the entire country) punk store and thats basically it for emo stuff unless I missed some. Even big ones like Coretex seem to not have that much stuff.

We could do that if people were okay with putting their address down.

I buy from Banquet Records. It's from the U.K. and the prices are pretty good (especially with the pound down) and they have a lot of emo stuff.

Aw dang I wanted to watch Bong Mountain, was too busy checking out the wrassling

And does noone know of any local distros or anything? I either get records from distros, gigs or directly from the label

Aw dang I wanted to watch Bong Mountain, was too busy checking out the wrassling

And does noone know of any local distros or anything? I either get records from distros, gigs or directly from the label

I buy the majority of mine from local shops or tours, but I do buy a good amount from discogs.

I just buy a lot of records in general :(

kris.

Banned
hey dudes if any of you don't know who The Smith Street Band are, Jeff Rosenstock and them are suuuper tight (he actually produced their last album [one of my favorite albums of 2014, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED] and their new one) and they make goddamn amazing punk music from Australia and their new album comes out soon and their new song is amazing so check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvreUyQ8SM4

Man, Flowers And You is such an amazing opener

hey dudes if any of you don't know who The Smith Street Band are, Jeff Rosenstock and them are suuuper tight (he actually produced their last album [one of my favorite albums of 2014, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED] and their new one) and they make goddamn amazing punk music from Australia and their new album comes out soon and their new song is amazing so check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvreUyQ8SM4

DEATH TO THE LAAAAAAADS

Just saying... during Smith Street Band's sound check, Wil Wagner just played 30 seconds of a Hard Girls song. Just to reiterate: Hard Girls = best.

2 things...

Kiguel: saw you in today's Nazi Trump thread, thought you might find this interesting... neo-nazis showed up to a PEARS / Subhumans show semi-recently, got kicked out seemingly at PEARS request, and still were defended. You can even check the comment section for further defense force: http://www.fortheloveofpunk.com/nazis-hate-guys-denver-rejects-nazi-skinheads-subhumanspears-show/

All: what, if any, websites do you use or trust for keeping your ear to the ground on interesting bands or upcoming releases? Other forums, message boards? Spotify discover?

kiguel182

Just saying... during Smith Street Band's sound check, Wil Wagner just played 30 seconds of a Hard Girls song. Just to reiterate: Hard Girls = best.

2 things...

Kiguel: saw you in today's Nazi Trump thread, thought you might find this interesting... neo-nazis showed up to a PEARS / Subhumans show semi-recently, got kicked out seemingly at PEARS request, and still were defended. You can even check the comment section for further defense force: http://www.fortheloveofpunk.com/nazis-hate-guys-denver-rejects-nazi-skinheads-subhumanspears-show/

All: what, if any, websites do you use or trust for keeping your ear to the ground on interesting bands or upcoming releases? Other forums, message boards? Spotify discover?

Some of those comments are insane. The idea that being open-minded is accepting hate speech is crazy to me. Protection of hate speech makes no sense to me. Thanks for that link.

Also, I use chorus.fm for my music news and discovering stuff. They have a release dates page too that is pretty great. The readership skews emo/punk but the website itself is pretty open to a bunch of music genres so it's great to find stuff outside the genre too. Their reviews are usually pretty great as well.

I tend to just pick up on what my friends are listening to, or seeing who's touring with other bands. Sometimes I go into a hole of Spotify related artists if I'm bored.

kris.

Banned
welp

the bush administration led to some pretty rad punk albums

that's about the only silver lining i can find right now

Kawl_USC

well. uh.

being at the pinegrove, petal, julien baker show last night was pretty surreal given how it played out.

julien's set is fucking heart breaking, doubly so last night.

but I'm down for album exchange/secret santa whatever.

could use some positive things at the moment.

akileese

well. uh.

being at the pinegrove, petal, julien baker show last night was pretty surreal given how it played out.

julien's set is fucking heart breaking, doubly so last night.

but I'm down for album exchange/secret santa whatever.

could use some positive things at the moment.

I went to the Dallas show last night and the atmosphere was definitely....weird. The music was absolutely positively fantastic.

olympia

hahaha the three days grace one

also i know we talk about it a lot and it's pretty obvious but worry is pretty good right now too

also I am still down for the secret santa/album trade

kiguel182

Okay, I'm getting more and more into this JEW record. I think it's definitely a set up from their last one. Probably better than Chase This Light altought that record has some bangers.

So Derrick is officially out of TWIABP

apparently happened months ago but with the new promo shots they confirmed it in the comments. INteresting to see what the sound is like without Derrick

kiguel182

So Derrick is officially out of TWIABP

apparently happened months ago but with the new promo shots they confirmed it in the comments. INteresting to see what the sound is like without Derrick

Well, that sucks. Hopefully they don't drop in quality even if they change their sound.

Top Bottom