• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Well, that sucks. Hopefully they don't drop in quality even if they change their sound.

I think they will be fine. I am curious to see when Smoke & Felt was written and recorded because if that was recorded without Derrick then I am all on board.

But Derrick has been known to be an asshole and i think she and Katie broke up so that led to that too.

kiguel182

I think they will be fine. I am curious to see when Smoke & Felt was written and recorded because if that was recorded without Derrick then I am all on board.

But Derrick has been known to be an asshole and i think she and Katie broke up so that led to that too.

i'm not on par with TWIABP drama (I don't even know their names expect for Derrick) but regardless I'm sure she was a big part in composing for the group so the difference will most likely be felt.

They've just posted that they are recording some stuff so we might find out sooner rather than later I guess.

The guy from Posture And Grizzly is still on the band right? I think Derrick helped with that too but still, that's always good.

i'm not on par with TWIABP drama (I don't even know their names expect for Derrick) but regardless I'm sure she was a big part in composing for the group so the difference will most likely be felt.

They've just posted that they are recording some stuff so we might find out sooner rather than later I guess.

The guy from Posture And Grizzly is still on the band right? I think Derrick helped with that too but still, that's always good.

Nah Jordan from Posture has never been in TWIABP. Just Derrick and a member other than him from TWIABP helped him. I don't remember who it was.

kris.

Banned
jeff and the menzingers are touring together in the spring and they're hitting KC and now i dont' feel so bad for missing out on his STL stop yay go me <3

The Menzingers are one of those bands, for me.

One of those bands where, on paper, you'd like them. And you don't hate them by any means. They have that song or couple of songs that you go, "OK," to. But they just don't do anything for you and you don't know why so it just sort of is what it is.

Does anyone else have some of those bands?

Doombear

Not Emo, but I got to see The Descendents (and Bully) on Saturday and I am still kind of in shock. Never ever was lucky enough to see them when I was a kid, and got to take my kid to see them. So... crazy... good.

Bully was great too.

kris.

Banned
The Menzingers are one of those bands, for me.

One of those bands where, on paper, you'd like them. And you don't hate them by any means. They have that song or couple of songs that you go, "OK," to. But they just don't do anything for you and you don't know why so it just sort of is what it is.

Does anyone else have some of those bands?

it took me so long for them to really click but once it did, i couldn't stop. rented world has been the only cd in my car since it came out in early 2014. and i still listen to it a lot.

The last time you posted Old Gray, I was going to make a comment about a barnburner of a song being on an album called Slow Burn but the joke was so fucking bad that I just didn't post at all.

That album is going to be nuts. It sounds more Blood Brothers to me than heavier, more screamier emo. At least, based on those 2 songs.

akileese

Not sure what everyone's locale is but Joyce Manor is playing Trees in downtown Dallas on 1/30. I'm pumped since they skipped Dallas their last tour.

The last time you posted Old Gray, I was going to make a comment about a barnburner of a song being on an album called Slow Burn but the joke was so fucking bad that I just didn't post at all.

That album is going to be nuts. It sounds more Blood Brothers to me than heavier, more screamier emo. At least, based on those 2 songs.

Everything Is In Your Hands makes me so fucking happy/sad.

Sad song but so fucking good. I got the LP ordered, now all I need to do is blast it once I get it

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
pup have the best videos

except this one

because it made me feel things and i don't like that

But this is the emo thread :O

Great video, totally blew my mind when I went back to the Guilt Trip video to see it was that kid from Stranger Things. That video was the song that originally got me into PUP thanks to /r/listentothis.

Is there anything big coming in December? I'm trying to decide on a top 5/10 albums for the year because I think I have my top 5 but I don't know if I'm going to be changing my opinions in the next 6 weeks.

So, if the rest of that Old Gray pans out, and considering Slaughter Beach, Dog... this could be the year of the emo side project.

Quit your bands! Quit your day jobs! Burn everything!

I thought Sorority Noise was the side project. Unless you aren't talking about the dude from Sorority Noise.

Damn, I got that backwards. So it already is the year of the side project.

The output of some people in emo or punk is absurd. One after the other, overlapping.

myco666

Have been listening a lot to Hotelier - Goodness and Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost albums and I am really loving this stuff. Nice change of pace to all the beatdown/tough guy shit I have been listening to lately.

Any recommendations for essential albums from either of these bands or from similiar bands?

I do love me some TWIABP.

It is pretty fucking basic but i think they are my favorite emo band.

I discovered them just a few months ago from this thread and now Harmlessness is one of my favorite CDs I own.

Turnover's Peripheral Vision is another I found from this thread and love love love.

Have been listening a lot to Hotelier - Goodness and Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost albums and I am really loving this stuff. Nice change of pace to all the beatdown/tough guy shit I have been listening to lately.

Any recommendations for essential albums from either of these bands or from similiar bands?

Listen to The Hotelier's first album, Home Like Noplace is There. Fucking incredible album and is what put them on the map for emo.

I would check out TWIABP and Foxing for more essential revival stuff as well as Marietta (RIP) Snowing, Prawn, TIny Moving Parts, Everyone Everywhere, Mom Jeans, Fox Wound, Grandview and Hightide Hotel. (there are many more)

I am not big into Modern Baseball but for more pop-punk emo, Posture and the Grizzly's I am Satan is a must listen and of course Brand New. Maybe some A Will Away as well and wash it down with some Runaway Brother.

mattp

Listen to The Hotelier's first album, Home Like Noplace is There. Fucking incredible album and is what put them on the map for emo.

I would check out TWIABP and Foxing for more essential revival stuff as well as Marietta (RIP) Snowing, Prawn, TIny Moving Parts, Everyone Everywhere, Mom Jeans, Fox Wound, Grandview and Hightide Hotel. (there are many more)

I am not big into Modern Baseball but for more pop-punk emo, Posture and the Grizzly's I am Satan is a must listen and of course Brand New. Maybe some A Will Away as well and wash it down with some Runaway Brother.

the hotelier put out stuff before home like noplace. but it's not that great

kiguel182

I really like Hoteliers first album. Not as good as the follow ups but good none the less. There are like three tracks there that are fantastic.

kiguel182

An Ode To The Nite Ratz Club is a fantastic song, same for Title Track. If you don't listen to the hoteliers debut check at least those tracks.

The opener is also super cool since it's just a straight punk rock song with tons of heart.

Propagandhi - The Only Good Fascist is a Very Dead Fascist
Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks Fuck Off
MDC - Born to Die (MDC have got a couple to choose from)
Total Chaos - Kill the Nazis
Reagan Youth - New Aryans
NOFX - The Brews
Youth of Today - Prejudice
Sublime - Ebin (kinda?)

More will probably come to me. I grew up in a small redneck town and I was into punk rock with a seriously small handful of people. One of them, still probably my best friend today, was hugely anti-racism. Like, every shirt had a swastika going into a trash can.

The Vandals - Master Race (In Outer Space)

The KKK took my baby away...

Top Bottom