• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Braid creator Jonathan Blow sacrifices his fortune to build The Witness

Marcel

So basically, Entrepreneur invests income from previously successful project into next project.

"Sacrifices his fortune" is an interesting choice of words.

There's no guarantee of success for the type of game he's making. If Myst-like is true then we can go by Uru's performance, which failed spectacularly and caused financial problems for Cyan Worlds.

Kifimbo

Castle Crashers, also an indie game, came out like a week after Braid and I think it sold a lot more than Braid.

Gestault

Real talk, I am afraid that The Talos Principle may have eaten The Witness's lunch.

I can't imagine Blow's reaction if audiences latch onto familiarities between the two. I think, right or wrong, he would find that insulting. In an ideal world, both games end up being well loved, and both do things differently.

Castle Crashers, also an indie game, came out like a week after Braid and I think it sold a lot more than Braid.

I might be wrong, but I believe it held the record for best selling game on Live Arcade until State of Decay...

On topic, much respect for Blow for doing this and I hope it all goes well. I didn't much care for Braid and I can't say I like how Blow acted after Braid came out, but I'll be sure to support Witness as it looks exactly like a game I just know I'll love.

Forkball

I'm surprised he didn't go to Sony or Microsoft for funding. It would have to be a timed exclusive, but you'd think either of those companies would try to nab it.

So basically, Entrepreneur invests income from previously successful project into next project.

"Sacrifices his fortune" is an interesting choice of words.

Another instance of the egotistical cult he perpetuates. The games he makes are less important than the narratives of him making the games.

The "boo hoo hoo I'm broke because I spent all my money for my craft~" wank job worked out for him last time.

injurai

Banned
I'm surprised he didn't go to Sony or Microsoft for funding. It would have to be a timed exclusive, but you'd think either of those companies would try to nab it.

He's have to work under a time schedule though. He couldn't probably still offer a last minute timed exclusive deal if he thought the money would be necessary to fund future projects.

Another instance of the egotistical cult he perpetuates. The games he makes are less important than the narratives of him making the games.

The "boo hoo hoo I'm broke because I spent all my money for my craft~" wank job worked out for him last time.

Honestly I think people can be a little jaded about understanding where risk lies. You support things you like by buying the game. It's not like he thinks everyone is following his game development. But those who are and even care, his own investment is noteworthy to the risk of investment. A would bite a harder bullet that some publisher who is invested in many things at any given time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm sorry your personal choices preclude you from enjoying an important Japanese freeware indie that predates Braid so you can make a juvenile zinger on GAF about how not important it is.

Ridiculous.

Nothing in my post was intended as a zinger. You seem touchy.

Marcel

Let's not forget the narrative of his last actual game is basically a punchline at this point, the navel-gazing indie with a stupid message at the end.

vesvci

Banned
Well, I'm glad he wasn't caught in the "timed exclusive" web when he was looking for funding. (That I know of)

I haven't really followed this game, but I'll keep it mind after this story.

Braid was absolutely one of my favorite games last gen, so I'm there day one for The Witness without a doubt. Can't believe it's taken so long, though.

I assume there would be strings attached to this deal, such as "put the fucking game out."

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Wikipedia says The Witness is a timed exclusive for the PS4 (and PC/iOS). Even beyond the marketing they've already done, I expect Sony to put some resources into pushing the game.

Aside from that, I'd imagine Blow is self-funding to get all of the profits (rather than giving a big cut to whichever publisher holds the purse-strings). It's a big risk (one I probably wouldn't be able to take if I was in the same situation) for potentially big rewards.

Grief.exe

That was Engadget's choice of words, not Blow's.

It will have Oculus support.

PC too.
Maybe it's timed exclusive on ps4 though.

Good to know.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There's no guarantee of success for the type of game he's making. If Myst-like is true then we can go by Uru's performance, which failed spectacularly and caused financial problems for Cyan Worlds.

What does that have to do with the poster's issue about the framing of the situation as "sacrificing his fortune" rather than "investing in a new product"?

Business ventures are always a risk. What does whether it's a guaranteed success have to do with it?

If you can't appreciate the influence that Braid had on the indie scene which followed, then you're probably an idiot.

The writer of this article in no way meant "original indie game" as a literal, factual statement, and anyone interpreting it as such is surely doing so intentionally to further some peculiar agenda of their own. Let's just move past it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you can't appreciate the influence that Braid had on the indie scene which followed, then you're probably an idiot.

The writer of this article in no way meant "original indie game" as a literal, factual statement, and anyone interpreting it as such is surely doing so intentionally to further some peculiar agenda of their own. Let's just move past it.

Well said.

On topic: Gimme da game, Blow!

He did mention on Twitter fairly recently that he was finally done adding puzzles to the game. So maybe it will come out in the first half of this year, god willing.

It's not that "out there" a claim. Obviously it wasn't the first indie game ever, but it was one of the first to usher in this new age of indie gaming, where production values are much higher than they had been.

I don't mean to push this farther than i ought to, because Blow deserves the spotlight, but i almost feel like he's agree with me on this. Braid may have been a very visible and successful indie game that was released during the early years of indie gaming revitalization, but it is hardly representative of it. At that point in time, Derek Yu had released Aquaria a year earlier, and would release Spelunky a year after. Jason Rohrer was getting more and more recognition, especially with Passage. Tales of Tales was also making the rounds. It was also when the "art game" nomenclature gained wide recognition, something fueled as well by independent games. And as others have noted Cave Story had been translated and published worldwide some years earlier. The scene was starting to become very prolific back then, and Braid may have been one of the most successful, but to call it the original?

That's hella revisionist.

Marcel

Or it's just a filler phrase that a good editor would take out because it can't be substantiated.

hawk2025

It's like someone wrote about how The Ramones were an important punk band and you guys are going "lel, Velvet Underground! The Stooges!".

...yeah, you are right, but totally missing the actual point.

What influence do you feel he had on the indie scene? Made it more mainstream?

I mean, I can agree with that to a degree, but that's pretty dismissive of the many indie games that came out before and just after that also had a pretty big impact on the indie scene.

Gestault

Since this is about development and not distribution, I'm curious what the material expenses he's dealing with are. I mean, I'm impressed whenever a great mind can and does back their own work, but if it's basically his living expenses that they're alluding to, the money isn't the sacrifice they should be focusing on.

autoduelist

I've been looking forward to The Witness for awhile. Good on Blow for nothing being a panhandling dev who puts his hands out on Kickstarter like a beggar. I appreciate that a ton.

That's an awful way to reference people who use kickstarter. Not everyone is in a position to fund their projects, and Kickstarter is/was a brilliant way to fund projects that otherwise would never have seen fruition.

Alec

Or it's just a filler phrase that a good editor would take out because it can't be substantiated.

I understood what he was trying to say. I think everyone does. There is no way the author truly believes that Braid is the first indie game ever created.

Braid absolutely kicked the indie game revolution into high gear.

Top Bottom