• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

MUnited83

For you.
What are you suggesting? That they don't know it is succesful and there is still demand for it? Boy, they must be pretty tone deaf in that case I give you that.

There are reasons to do this and it is probably something to do with nes mini getting hacked.
It probably has nothing to with it being hacked whatsoever.

JP

YmyeIGyl.jpg
Jesus, that's bad.

Having said that, I did pick up a second console not long after buying the first one, the idea was to have a second one with games better suited to the kids. We got the first from Nintendo and the second from eBay.

It was £80 on eBay which is £20 more than we paid Nintendo but that doesn't get into silly money levels. I'm really glad that I was willing to pay the extra £20 if this rumour is true but I do feel for the people who still want to get one.

tebunker

Banned
I actually could see Nintendo pulling it because it got hacked.

It allows them to improve security and re-release it to great fanfare.

Also Nintendo would be petty enough to kill something bc of piracy.

Scalpers rejoice big win for them

Only if some people are dumb enough to buy this thing from them. It does not matter anyway "scalpers" are not a big problem because they never can buy relevant amounts of hardware.

People who waited with their Nes mini preorder because they hoped it would be cheaper after holiday are angry now and blame scalpers... as if scalpers bought 100.000 and not only a few hundred.

It was clear from the beginning that the Mini was only a limited run for holidays.

Until i see direct statements from Nintendo themselves, this don't mean shit. But lol at all the people freaking out, seriously get a grip.
The "freaking out" is understandable. And you might be waiting a long time for that statement. Or you'll get one that lies, and sweeps it all under the rug.

Only if some people are dumb enough to buy this thing from them. It does not matter anyway "scalpers" are not a big problem because they never can buy relevant amounts of hardware.

People who waited with their Nes mini preorder because they hoped it would be cheaper after holiday are angry now and blame scalpers... as if scalpers bought 100.000 and not only a few hundred.

It was clear from the beginning that the Mini was only a limited run for holidays.

citation needed

True Fire

I wonder if Nintendo has a secret scalping business on the side? No intelligent company would make a conscious effort to limit stock as much as they have.

Why people are blaming hackers now?
WTF?

NES Mini is hacked and is used to play illegal ROMs.

I don't think Nintendo has much interest in supporting a heavy compromised device thats tempt people to download illegal ROMs.

Would not be the first dedicated gaming device that had been killed by pirates, and sadly it will not be the last.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Next logical step would be Nintendo to give infinite platinum My Nintendo coins to scalpers as their most loyal customers.

kpaadet

Nintendo have treated Scandinavia like crap since the original NES, so it wouldnt surprise me if this was not worldwide and only effected the Nordic countries.

Not surprised, seemed like a collectors thing rather than an ideal way to play old Nintendo games.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'appliances', and this little thing is far more appealing that emulating on a computer. But those wired controllers... such a disadvantage in today's light.

I don't think it's really fair to say that people who have hacked their mini are pirates. Yes, retro gaming does tend to involve the unauthorised downloading of software but I don't see the wider retro community being called out for that.

mindatlarge

Yeah, I have no idea. I haven't seen a single one in the wild (not even someone at a register buying one who beat me to one), and I live in a decent sized city. Seeing pics like that just make me so mad.
I feel ya. If they were purchased straight up, then it's all good I suppose. Though I don't see how that's really possible with how hard this thing is to track down. Oh well, maybe we'll end up with one at some point at MSRP. Not giving up hope yet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All the fans should just stop pressuring poor Nintendo into making hardware. They clearly don't want all that fuss no more.

asagami_

Banned
The fact this was a limited item to sell in Holidays is something people don't get? The demand was underestimated, of course, but it's not like Nintendo wanted to do money with this. It was more brand awareness that any thing.

Well, I hope see the Nes Classic Mini toy. You know, without games.

L.O.R.D

No people are blaming Nintendo for reacting to hackers. That is classic Nintendo reaction. Kill mode 1.0 and release 1.1 with better security

I don't think Nintendo has much interest in supporting a heavy compromised device thats tempt people to download illegal ROMs.

Would not be the first dedicated gaming device that had been killed by pirates, and sadly it will not be the last.
That doesn't make sense at all,to hack the device you must buy it first.
Nintendo doesn't lose any cent if people hacked their nes mini because you can't buy any new game in it.
Nintendo is selling you a box with 30 games,just that.
If people hacked to install 300 games with SNES and Sega Genesis emulator,Nintendo won't effect them at all.
In fact,more people will want that.

Korigama

Sounds like...EXACTLY the sort of thing that I would expect from Nintendo. If anything, I'm surprised that they didn't do it sooner.

I guess that's why Nintendo stopped making the DS and the 3DS, since they were/are heavily compromised.

Oh wait.

I guess they decided that Artificial Scarcity wasn't cutting it anymore amirite?

/s

But for real, I will be really surprised if this actually happens. I wouldn't doubt it knowing Nintendo, but damn would that be weird. SNES Classic incoming?

The higher ups at Nintendo are fucking idiots. This is literally leaving money on the table. I have never even seen these things in the store.

KtSlime

I hope not. The Famicom Classic Mini are still impossible to find in Tokyo. Bic got a shipment in and sold it by lottery this past weekend, still didn't get one. And I don't want to resort to buying from a scalper.

That doesn't make sense at all,to hack the device you must buy it first.
Nintendo doesn't lose any cent if people hacked their nes mini because you can't buy any new game in it.
Nintendo is selling you a box with 30 games,just that.
If people hacked to install 300 games with SNES and Sega Genesis emulator,Nintendo won't effect them at all.
In fact,more people will want that.

Think of it this way. Nintendo would rather you be forced to hack a $200-300 device in order to play all their games then to so easily and cheaply give it up to you in the NES Classic.

jelly

It's pretty horrible without wireless, if it comes back, wireless is the way to go. Maybe they are just going to dump it all into the Switch and never bring it back. They probably would rather have millions of Nintendo accounts, switch owners and paying users than millions of these things.

This could likely be because Nintendo doesn't want to confuse the market by selling other "home console" hardware that emulates classic games. Especially when that functionality can be used as a selling point for the Switch.

Hopefully this is a sign that Switch Virtual Console is coming very soon.

Top Bottom